Chapter 1 : New Life
457 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All of my senses were assaulted by the smell of rusting iron, the sound of dripping water, the humid air, the cold floor with stagnant water, and the stench of urine and rancidity. My entire body shivered from the cold. I curled up like a baby looking for warmth. I tried to survive the coldness of this prison that appeared to be a dungeon with a thin blanket and dull clothes.

I don’t know how I ended up here? That night, I met the boy I had saved years ago. He pointed his gun at me. Then, after that… all I heard was the sound of the gun going off and my consciousness was gone in the blink of an eye.

“My Lady, please endure!” A man’s voice echoed in my ears.

My dim vision caught a glimpse of a man standing in front of the iron bars that surrounded me. The lighting was poor, especially given my blurry vision. I tried to figure out who it was, but my energy was completely depleted due to the fact that this place was making me sick.

I have no idea how long I’ve been here. A week? What, a month? Was I fed properly? I don’t think so, given how out of shape this body is.

My head was spinning and I couldn’t take it any longer. I closed my eyes again, my vision becoming darker. But I could tell the man in all black was worried.

He yelled at me while holding the iron bars that separated us.

“My Lady! My Lady! Hold on, My Lady!”

My eyes began to darken as the faint sound faded.

My entire body began to lighten. The chill gradually dissipated. It had been replaced by warmth and the scent of fresh air. When I tried to open my eyes, my gaze was drawn to a woman.

“Good afternoon!” she said, her face irritated, her waist scrunched. Similarly, a holographic screen appeared in front of me out of nowhere.

[Welcome to Second Life]

[During this life you will be guided by Merea]

My eyes widened as I read the notification. ‘Second Life?’ What does it mean that I’m alive again? But wait, why is there a hologram screen in front of me like this? I’m not Tommy Stark in the movie Metalman, am I? That’s weird.

"If you’ve recovered you’d better get up and clean up your body yourself. I’m busy!” The maid raised her voice again.

I glanced at the thin woman. She grumbled as she walked away from me and closed my bedroom door roughly.

My body was not energized, but my vision was starting to improve. I try to get up from my seat and take a look at this gloomy restroom. The paint is starting to fade, the mattress is also hard. At least it’s better than that dungeon.

I sighed then I looked at the hologram screen in front of me.

[Merea will guide you to give a little explanation that is not in the system]

[Please say her name 7x while imagining what form you want to take as Merea]

What if I didn’t do what the system told me to do? I snorted.

[It’s your choice]

[There are no consequences if you don’t choose]

I stared wide-eyed at the notification in front of me. Then laughed. Oh my God, it could read my mind.

I’d better do what this system tells me to do. I don’t know this world, so it would be nice to have someone guide me, wouldn’t it.

Second life? I thought I’d spend eternity in hell. Apparently God still gave me a chance to improve myself. However, this isn’t a joke, right? Let’s give it a try!

“Merea, Merea, Merea, Merea, Merea, Merea, Merea!”

I said that name 7 times. I imagined a very cute, funny, and adorable little child. The soul of a woman who loves sweet things suddenly possessed my mind. Even though my past has always been about men’s work I still have quite an adorable female nature.

“Hello, Miss Riley!” greeted a little fairy in front of my face.

I widened my eyes. The fairy was adorable, her hair tied in two with vines wrapped around her pigtails, her dress green like the leaves in spring. Pink flowers adorned the lower part of her skirt. Her bare feet were wrapped in vines with small pink flowers.

She smiled broadly at me. So very sweet.

“Merea?” Seeing the little fairy made me smile.

“Yes, Miss Riley. I am Merea, I will guide you in this world so that you can live properly. Do you have any questions about your current life?” Merea answered while looking down and smiling at me.

“Who am I here?”

A man called me ‘My Lady’ while in the dungeon. That means I’m a lady of honor. However, why was that servant so rude to me? What had happened to the owner of this body?

I looked at the hand of this woman who had the same name as mine. It was so thin, this body was unhealthy, I felt so weak, and fragile.

“Riley Gallagher is the youngest daughter of the Marquees of Zoldhegy, 16 years old.” They brought back the hologram screen that showed the figure of Riley Gallagher before me.

The girl’s red-eyed expression was depressing. Her hair was dull and long, her body was thin, and her eyes were sunken and empty. This girl was nothing out of the ordinary. It’s just that I felt sorry for her, as if the world had humiliated her.

Next to her picture was an inscription. What is a curriculum vitae?

“Do I only have to read this?” I inquired, pointing to the writings visible in the hologram.

“If that’s all you need to know about Riley Gallagher, then go ahead and read it. Because everything is clearly laid out!”

I read word by word on the hologram.

[Riley Gallagher]

[Age: 16 y.o]

[Birthday: GE. 1890, July 17]

[Habits: spending time reading books in the library and planting flowers]

[Background: Riley Gallagher is the daughter of prominent noble family in the Fold Empire. The youngest daughter of Ervin Gallagher and Judith Gallagher. The Marquess and Marchioness of Zoldhegy are well-known for the strength of their knights and their magic.

Riley lacked the magical prowess of a Gallagher descendant. The Gallagher family shunned her as a princess with no talent.

She was raised as a depressed and neglected child. Her servants were rude to her. Similarly, the Marquess’ knights harassed the noble princess when they passed by.

Riley spent her entire childhood in the library and planting flowers, refusing to interact with anyone.

It was made worse when she attacked Diana Gallagher, her biological sister, while they were walking in the flower garden of the Marquess’ residence with the Crown Prince, Grove Bruke. No one was hurt, but Ervin was enraged. Riley’s treatment of Diana had harmed the Marquess family’s reputation in the eyes of the Crown Prince. Furthermore, Diana was the future Crown Princess of the Fold Empire.

Thanks to Grove’s generosity. Riley was only sentenced to the dungeon by him. Riley became ill after one month in the filthy prison].

"Riley was there because of that." I winced as I read Riley's life story.

It was only a minor role. There must be other explanations for her life. I discovered a 'Relation' menu. The sound of someone opening the bedroom door startled me just as I was about to touch the menu.

"Thank goodness, my Lady!" A young woman approached me, concerned. She held a tray containing a bowl of warm porridge and a glass of water.

The girl was dressed like a maid. She walked up to me in a hurry. Who is she?

The hologram screen came back out. I saw the profile of the short-haired girl with black freckles on her face.

[Relation]

[Sorcha Lotair]

[Level: 7] [Experience Point.: 45%]

[Background: Sorcha Lotair is Riley's personal servant. She is indebted to Riley for some reason. Despite the small salary and being ostracized by the servants, Sorcha still persisted in being Riley's servant]

[Position : Personal Servant]

[Concern: 21] [Nonchalant: 5]

[Trust: 35] [Doubt: 5]

“Sir Lucien found you shivering in the cold in the dungeon. Luckily your sentence was over by then.” Sorcha smiled with relief as she placed her tray on the worn-out nightstand.

I froze with bated breath as I heard the name of someone I knew mentioned in this world. However, I sighed. Maybe it was just the name that was the same.

“You’d better fill your stomach!” said a man coming in all black.

His eyes were sharp as an eagle and his appearance was that of a knight without armor.

‘Lucien?’

I read the hologram screen that immediately appeared when the man arrived. I frowned when I saw the data. All question marks? How come?

[???]

[Level: ???] [Experience Point: ???]

[Background: ???]

[Position: ???]

[Concern: ???] [Nonchalant: ???]

[Trust: ???] [Doubt: ???]

13