Chapter 8 : Persecution
395 8 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked at Riley’s greenhouse when I awoke. I only sighed because I knew what was going to happen.

Sorcha was sobbing bitterly next to me. Lucien just stood beside me, expressionless.

My eyes witnessed a horrifying sight. Riley's hard-won flowers were ripped out and tossed to the ground. All of the Middlemist reds were hauled away. Peonies, on the other hand, suffered the same fate as the other flowers, being uprooted and discarded.

I'm at a loss for what to do. I was a nobody here. On the other hand, I was saddened to see those lovely flowers treated as if they were worthless. But I'm not sure I can care for you either.

Even though this hand was Riley's hand that could give them a decent life. However, my heart refused to give them more attention. To me, taking care of plants and even pets was very troublesome.

Did I fail to complete this task?

[Task Successful]

[Riley Gallagher]

[Level: 16] [Experience Points: 42%]

[Stats]

[Strength: 21] [Intelligence: 54]

[Constitution: 11] [Wisdom: 30]

[Dexterity: 11] [Charisma: 10]

[Life Purpose: ???]

My eyes crinkled. The task was successful. How?

"The System only asked you to guard the greenhouse before the precious flowers were transported, Miss!" Merea explained in a hoarse voice. The little elf burst into tears when she saw the greenhouse scattered around like it had been hit by a hurricane.

What? This system only asks me to keep middlemist red? How does this system work exactly?

“Let’s clean up this greenhouse!” I said calmly as I bent down and picked up a rose.

I’m sorry!

“It can be planted again, My Lady.” Sorcha voiced in a hoarse voice.

I shook my head. “No, I don’t have time to take care of these plants.”

“However, My Lady…!”

I raised my hand without looking at Sorcha. “Just do as I command!” I walked away from Lucien and Sorcha.

My heart tightened at this sight. It’s like you’re in an area where a war has just finished. The rubble of destroyed buildings filled the streets. Blood and corpses were strewn about. The sound of missiles and gunfire is deafening.

My eyes were hot with tears. I was physically healthy, but not mentally.

“Why did you give me life again?” I said as I looked up at the sky. I hoped that these tears would not fall.

“My Lady?”

Lucien’s voice snapped me out of my reverie. I turned around and saw him carrying a bouquet of flowers from the former greenhouse.

“For you!” He smiled broadly at me.

I smiled and accepted the bouquet. “Thank you.”

“Are you feeling better now?”

“A little! You know, seeing that flower garden that I tended with all my heart made me… shaken!” I answered Lucien’s question while turning around and walking down the path to somewhere.

Where was this path leading to?

“Sorry I can’t defend your greenhouse!” Lucien replied while walking behind me.

“It’s not your fault, you’re not my personal knight. You have no obligation to.”

Lucien sighed. He continued to follow me. Of course, he was here to keep an eye on me.

“I heard that Zero is acting like a madman.”

I heard the voice of a servant who was picking up the clothesline not far from where I was standing with Lucien. There were three of them and they were busy gossiping about me without realizing that it was the two people they were serving that were driving me crazy.

I laughed sadly at their words. It was only a matter of hours. The rumor had already spread among the servants and certainly the knights as well.

“Because she was locked up in the dungeon, her mental health suffered. I heard she also called Lady Diana ‘Bitch’ in front of His Lordship.” Another servant added.

“She won’t survive anymore.” The third servant added with a giggle.

“I still remember how Lady Diana humiliated Zero at Lady Diana’s debutante party two years ago.” The second maid frowned.

“Not that it was appropriate, she shouldn’t have shown up in that black and gloomy dress. Moreover, she didn’t dress up. Of course Lady Diana was angry.” The second maid scrunched her waist as she sighed.

“Moreover, Zero was not invited. People who come to parties uninvited are violating the rules of etiquette. She deserves to be punished for forgetting the rules that commoners like us also know.” The third servant added with an angry and exasperated face.

“They speak as if I’m the villain here.” I said softly while tightly hugging the bouquet of flowers Lucien gave me.

“You are not appreciated here, My Lady.” Lucien voiced.

I glanced at the man. His blue eyes looked gloomily at me.

“It’s okay, sir. I’m used to it. Let’s go back to the greenhouse!” I held his upper arm as I walked past the man. “You shouldn’t be worried about me, should you? I’m not your employer.”

“As a human, I should sympathize with you.”

I smiled when I heard Lucien’s reply. “Thank you, at least there are still sane people around me.”

After that, there was no more conversation between us. Lucien followed behind and how surprised I was to see Sorcha dealing with the maids outside the greenhouse.

The girl was bowing before an old woman. It seemed to be the female butler, her clothes were different from those of the servants who used to clean the house and serve Diana. The two maids behind the woman looked disgustedly at Sorcha. They also sometimes whispered and then giggled, like there was something funny about the scene of Sorcha being scolded by the old lady.

[Grace Harris]

[Level: 15] [Experience Point: 60%]

[Background: Grace Harris is the butler who organizes the work of the servants in the Zoldhagy residence].

[Job: Head Maid]

[Caring: 20] [Nonchalant: 50]

[Trust: 15] [Doubt: 40]

Well, the point is the same as Ervin. I have one more person to deal with.

“You thief, it’s a good thing His Lordship doesn’t know about your behavior. Otherwise you would have been dishonorably discharged.” Grace chuckled. “A dirty rat picked up by a despicable noble like you doesn’t have the power to just grab herbs in the kitchen. You should remember your position!”

“I-I’m so sorry, madam!” Sorcha replied stammering. Her face looked very frightened by Grace’s intimidation.

“Don’t you know the punishment for thieves?”

My eyes widened as I saw the whip in Grace’s hand dangling to the ground.

Sorcha’s body shivered with fear. She bent down to beg for mercy. However, Grace deafened her ears.

“Flogging is ten times less severe than being fired, isn’t it?” Grace raised her whip with a very frightening grin.

“Damn it!” I gave the bouquet of flowers in my hand to Lucien. Then quickly ran towards Sorcha.

The whip hit my back. It stung. I winced as I put both my hands on the ground.

“Oh my God, My Lady!” Sorcha shouted hysterically.

“Hey, Zero. Do you want to take the place of your servant?”

I glared at Grace over my shoulder. Damn old grannies.

“You’re her employer, aren’t you? Teach her proper manners. If you take someone’s things, you have to ask permission first. Otherwise it’s the same as being a thief, you idiot!” Grace swore at me.

Her wrinkled face was absolutely disgusting. She put both hands on her waist and looked at me with a fierce gaze.

“Is that true, Sorcha?” I asked softly with the pain in my back.

Sorcha didn’t answer and just stared at the ground. I understood.

“Then, whip me if you want to punish her. It’s my fault of course.” I said without looking at the old woman.

“Oh, with pleasure.” Grace replied with great enthusiasm.

The sound of whipping filled my eardrums. It hurts, it really hurts. I winced at the pain.

“Stop it already!” Lucien stood beside my body.

I held onto the man’s pants. Looking at him with blurred vision and sweat that began to pour out.

“Don’t interfere!” I said softly. “Remember your position here!”

Lucien bit his lip.

“You two stay away!”

“B-but, My Lady!”

“It’s okey, Dear. Step back!”

Lucien held Sorcha’s hand and pulled the girl away from me. Thanks for that Lucien.

The sound of the whip was heard again, the pain was again gnawing at my body. There are still 8 more times, and my body is already starting to shiver. The 5th whipping my eyesight began to blur, the next whipping made my head hurt because I had to maintain my consciousness and the next whipping made my body worse.

Is your body this weak Riley Gallagher?

“Akh!” The 8th lash made my eyes widen and I collapsed on the ground.

“That’s it, please ma’am!” Sorcha prostrated herself at Grace’s feet. She cried out for mercy.

I glanced at Lucien. The man looked sad seeing my condition.

My hands moved using what was left of my strength. I grabbed his pants. The man looked at me. I moved my eyes towards Sorcha who received a kick from Grace and the spit of the two maids accompanying Grace.

“Sa-save her!” I pleaded softly.

Lucien nodded and then he approached Sorcha. I don’t know what happened. Sorcha returned to the place where she stood before begging Grace for mercy.

Two more lashes. Hang in there Riley, hang in there!

My consciousness that had disappeared suddenly came back clearly. Grace whipped me again and the last lash made me lose consciousness completely. However, before it was completely gone I heard the faint sound of Grace laughing with the two servants.

She let out words full of contempt.

Truly, you are worthless in this house, Riley Gallagher. My consciousness faded away as I saw Lucien bend down and hold my head. It was dark and my body started to feel very light.

9