Chapter LX – Facing the Mountain
181 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Blood and Winter

The Young Wolf and the Old Lion

Chapter LX - Facing the Mountain

Robb thought he had gained a true understanding of just how terrifying the men known as the Mountain was, but up close and personal, that image was ruined. The tales of the man did not do him justice, seeing the man from a distance did not do him justice, but being on the receiving end of the Mountains strength was another thing entirely.

He tried pushing up with his strength, trying to remove the blade stuck in his shoulder but this action only seemed to amuse the Mountain further. And just when he thought he had withstood the strength of the Mountain, Ser Gregor pressed down further.

The blade in his shoulder dug deeper and Robb eventually in an attempt to save his shoulder from being completely destroyed, just dropped to the ground.

It worked; Ser Gregor suddenly faced without a lack of resistance stumbled.

Robb used this to his advantage, gripping the Ser Gregor's blade with one hand, yanked it out before rolling across the ground, away from the Mountain. From there, he scrambled to his knees only to find himself being covered in shadow. He didn't even need to look up to know what was happening, the large sabatons appeared in view.

Without an ounce of hesitation, Robb began rolling and crawling across the ground, the pain in his shoulder meant nothing to the fear of death that gripped hold of his body tightly. Adrenaline pumped through his body and he avoided every swing of Ser Gregor's blade as best as he could. He managed to do so, just long enough for reinforcements to arrive and help Robb.

Ser Emmon Cuy charged forwards bravely, his blade cutting through the air and striking against the Mountain's back. It was more of a reflexive movement than anything else, but the Mountain stumbled forwards, Robb rolling away to avoid getting his head stepped on.

At his side, Robar and Patrek Mallister crouched down, helping Robb to his feet while Emmon stood in front of them bravely. "Your grace, we need to get you out of here!" Patrek demanded, but Robb shrugged him off, getting to his feet and gripping his blade tightly in one hand. It was heavy, but Robb ignored it and the dull ache in his shoulder.

"Not yet, Tywin Lannister has already escaped. We cannot allow the Mountain to do the same." Robb ordered. "We take him alive if we can!"

Both Robar and Patrek looked to one another, before affirming themselves and gripping their blades. "Then at least get behind us, your grace. Your life is more valuable than ours." Robar argued and Robb conceded, shuffling backwards behind the two.

Ser Gregor turned to them, a low growl escaping his lips, amplified by the sound reverberating in his helmet. The fog of his breath escaping through the holes covering his mouth only made it more ominous and all four men gripped their blades anxiously before glaring at the Mountain in determination.

All four men rushed forwards across the ground and then the Mountain moved.

The speed in which he moved shouldn't be possible for a man that size and the ease in which he swung his blade beggared belief.

Ser Emmon Cuy unfortunately, was the first to go.

It was a quick action showing that the Mountain wasn't just a brute, but a skilled warrior. He parried Emmon's first blow, the strength throwing his weapon into the air and leaving Emmon exposed. There a single slash swung down, cutting through Ser Emmon's breastplate and killing the knight. Ser Robar and Patrek came next, rushing in and they did well, holding Ser Gregor off for some time, Robb standing back to recover his breath.

The two held him off for some time, Robb studying the movements, trying to learn how the Mountain parried, how he blocked, how he moved and how he attacked. It was at that moment that Ser Patrek overextended on a strike and Gregor capitalised. Luckily Patrek managed to move his body just enough that he was left with only a deep cut on his side.

Upon seeing this Robar moved back and stood beside Robb, both looking at the Patrek grunting and groaning in pain while Gregor looked to them. There was a number of nicks in his armour from where Robar and Patrek had managed to land a few blows.

This time it was Gregor who came to them and he struck fast, Robar moved forwards, standing protectively in front of Robb and in a few quick blows was struck. The only thing that saved him from certain death was him just barely being able to manoeuvre his blade in the way of the strike. Even, his blade snapped and Gregor's strike continued round to strike his armour.

Robar collapsed onto the ground, leaving Robb to face the Mountain himself and he didn't do well.

His injured shoulder made it all but impossible to actually block Ser Gregor's blows and while he managed to avoid the vast majority by a hair's breadth. Those that he couldn't he attempted to parry and each time he did, he was sent stumbling backwards.

A galloping horse closing in drew both men's attention, both turning to see Dacey riding towards them. The Mountain turned and swung his blade around, cutting deeply into the horse's neck and sending it falling to the floor, Dacey scrambling to her feet quickly. As she did, she instantly rushed to engage the Mountain, her weapons actually managed to catch him off-guard. He stumbled away with the blows and the growls that escaped his throat as his anger grew became louder.

Robb took this moment with panting breaths to study the battle around him. Already the left flank had capitulated and while the Golden Company still held on, resisting the Stark army as well as they could, the Lannisters were running.

Robb didn't know what the Golden Company were up to, but whatever they were fighting for was definitely something important to them, something worth dying for. 'Is it gold?' He wondered, but then that raised the question as to who was paying them. It was definitely not the Lannister's like first believed, which meant that someone else was lining their pockets.

Robb had hoped that with the Lannister's defeat that the war in the south would come to an end. But if the Golden Company was anything to go by, that wasn't a possibility.

Hearing a horn, he turned to see a detachment of Valemen also riding down towards him and at the front of them, was a man clad in a helmet with horns sticking out the side and a war hammer clutched in one hand. For a moment, Robb thought he was looking at Robert Baratheon made young again.

And as the Vale entered the battle, much like before, the battle came to an end.

So, another chapter is done and I hope you all enjoyed it. Anyway, if you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. 

2