Chapter LXIV – Fall of Kings Landing
125 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Blood and Winter

The Dragons

Chapter LXIV - Fall of Kings Landing

As the sun rose higher and higher into the sky, the birds chirping and the wind beginning to pick up, Robb sat upright in his bed and looked out to the world from the balcony. He waited silently, contemplating everything yet also nothing. On his lap, various scrolls and letters detailing recent reports sprawled out before him.

He didn't want to think like this, but Robb couldn't help but feel like things were finally looking up. Like he could see the sun peeking through the clouds as a show that the war was reaching its end.

Of course, he knew that the Golden Company were still a threat, but they were moving south towards Kings Landing and were also vastly outnumbered by his own forces. There were also the Ironborn, Boltons and Stannis to the north. But the biggest threat, the Lannisters were removed, most of Westeros had submitted to him and it should be an easy ride from here on out.

With the losses taken from the Battle of the Bloody Antlers, Robb was looking at only ten thousand of his original force still remaining. But if he was to march south now, he'd also have nearly forty thousand Vale reinforcements and a further forty thousand men camped at the Manders. In total, it brought his forces to ninety thousand and if he decided to abandon Casterly Rock and bring Lord Randal Tarly south, then he would have over a hundred thousand men in a single force, nearly five times the numbers that the Golden Company possessed.

And even if the Golden Company linked up with the Dornish forces as Robb and no doubt many others suspected so as well, then they would still hold an advantage by nearly four to one. But Robb had no intention of allowing Casterly Rock to go free, he wanted the Westerlands fully secure and if he took the seat of House Lannister, then he would accomplish just that. Furthermore, he hoped that the defeat of Tywin Lannister and his forces would also mean that the defenders holding out would capitulate in short order.

That would mean a further twenty thousand men would be free to be moved wherever Robb wanted. He could take them south with him or he could send them north, for the first time, Robb had spare troops and options within which to use them.

As the door to his chambers opened, Robb was broken from his thoughts and looked to see Garlan entering. "Your grace." He greeted, giving a small bow before moving towards the table to take a seat.

"How did the meeting go?"

"About as well as expected," Garlan answered, helping himself to an apple from the bowl of fruit placed upon the table. "But our plan is working, I've got a pretty good idea of which Lords are loyal to you and which have other loyalties."

Robb nodded his head, pleased that it was bearing some results. The plan itself had been simple, Robb had been injured in the Battle of the Bloody Antlers, but not enough to be a huge cause for worry, yet they had spun the tale of it being otherwise. This was being spread and then, in the meeting today, it allowed Garlan the chance to see who was loyal to who. This is exactly why Garlan had suggested the plan in the first place and the reason why Robb had agreed to it.

"Well, I can assure you that all the young lords and heirs are staunchly loyal to you." Garlan began upon seeing the pointed look Robb gave him. "However, I'm not certain on the older lords and they themselves could shift the tide of the younger lords if we're not careful. The Crownland and Westerland lords are neutral for now, I haven't managed to get much on them. But as for the Vale lords they, much like I expected, intend to name your father as King, or at the very least, intend to make him the leader of our army."

"Brilliant, so close to ending it all and now we have internal problems to deal with." Robb sighed frustratedly. 'Why can't people put aside their greed just for one moment. I didn't go to war for power, I did it to save my father. I didn't accept being King for power, I did it to give our cause a figurehead. And now when we're so close, greedy lords are going to fuck this up. Perhaps I should just allow the Vale to get what they want, my father as King, Gods know I don't want to be King. But that could cause more problems from those who do not want my father as King.'

Garlan didn't look too surprised having expected this from the beginning. "Your control and power over Westeros has grown, more and more lords have flocked to your banner because you're winning. And each lord has their own agenda."

"This is why I never wanted to be king," Robb told him, pushing aside the furs over his body and stepping out, stretching off his tired body. "In a few days, call a meeting once more, we'll deal with this then. I want there to be a very clear leader put in place before we march once more."

Nodding his head, Garlan went to leave only to pause, a question upon his mind. "Who will that leader be?"

There was a pause.

"I don't know." Robb eventually answered.


As the boat rocked in the choppy waters, Tyrion closed his eyes as he avoided the splashes of water that splattered onto him. His clothes were torn and bloody, a result of the numerous bodies that had been killed in their attempt to escape from Kings Landing and as he looked out at the others sitting in the boat, Tyrion was reminded that it had not been easy.

There were but five in the boat, a meagre number compared to the twenty men that had originally been under his employment. Two were rowing the boats, Podrick was looking out back at the King's Landing while Bronn himself sat, bloody sword held in one hand.

It had happened quickly and suddenly, the Dornish host once positioned at the Princes Path in order to keep them in Reach host at the Manders at bay. Them arriving was certainly surprising, but with the news that had arrived a few days prior about Tywin and his host being defeated, they had opened the gates. Looking back on it now, Tyrion could admire the irony in what had happened as in a move reminiscent of how the Lannisters had invaded Kings Landing during Roberts Rebellion.

They rushed in and began slaughtering what few Lannister soldiers were standing guard. Tyrion himself had been enjoying his time in his chambers with Shae when the attack came. Luckily, Bronn and Podrick had come bursting in, telling him of the assault. Then, led by Varys himself, had made their way through the Red Palace and down onto a small beach where a boat was waiting.

There they had set sail, making their way out to where Varys told them a ship was waiting to take them to safety. But it hadn't been easy and as Tyrion locked down at his blood-soaked hands, the sight of a young woman flashed before his eyes as a blade pierced through her chest.

Clenching his shaking fists, Tyrion looked out over the ocean to see dozens of large war galleys sailing into the port of Kings Landing, each of them emblazoned with the flag of House Targaryen.

So, another chapter is done and I hope you all enjoyed it. Anyway, if you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. 

3