Chapter 50. Heart to Heart Conversation
1.5k 5 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm sorry for the lack of update recently, I'm stuck writing this chapter for almost three days. Although, I'm not really satisfied by the result, I decided to carry on. From the three latest chapters I found out that I struggle a lot when trying to dig deeper or develop the character(s) in my novel, there always be inconsistencies here and there and I need a lot of time to fix it up, it's a bitter lesson for me honestly. Nevertheless, the show must go on.

How do you think it could be improved? Or I just need to remove them (the latest three chaps) altogether? There's a few of reader who gave their suggestion and opinion about the recent chapters before, and I'm sincerely grateful about their input, it mean a lot for me. So, don't be shy to voice your opinion in the comment section.

Happy reading and good day!

Aurora stepped outside the study room and directly went downstair, rushing to catch up with Claudia and fix the misunderstanding between them. Passing through the guest room, she caught a glimpse of a figure and hurriedly went closer to find out that it wasn't Claudia but Flamme.

The girl sat leisurely on the sofa, devotedly tending the crimson sword in her hand.

The scene of a sword girl cleaning her body thoroughly in the middle of the night, wiping every nooks and crannies with so much attention was a sight to behold in and of itself, but Aurora currently couldn't enjoys such a sight with a peace of mind.

Despite the sound of footsteps getting closer, Flamme seemed unbothered and continued her task with utmost diligence.

"Not sleeping yet, huh Flamme?"

Aurora greeted the crimson-haired girl awkwardly, and suddenly realized how strange her question was for a sword spirit like Flamme who didn't really need to rest in a night like a ordinary human. Well the words had been spat out, so she could only bit the bullet and shamelessly pretending as if she didn't notice her mistake.

"Un."

'A simple and curt answers. It's pretty much Flamme's thing,' Aurora mused to herself. 'Well, just let her do her thing, there's more urgent thing to solve.'

Aurora didn't dally for too long and directly asked her, "Um... Do you happened to know where did Claudia go, Flamme?"

"Run outside. Crying. Heart in pain." Flamme raised her head and looked straightly at Aurora, although her expression didn't fluctuate at the slightest, her clear crimson eyes which gleamed slightly illuminated by the light of magic lamp, carried a flicker of blame on them.

 'Too much description, Flamme, too much.'

Through her usual choppy words, Flamme successfully hammered another pang of guilt straight into her already remorsing heart.

Sweeping back her bangs, she slumped on the couch right next to Flamme, running her fingers through her golden hair while releasing a long, hapless sigh.

The abyssal girl didn't seem to have the intention to stop there and threw another rather blunt remark.

"You make her angry, Master." Flamme stated, her tone inrefutable.

"I've been caught, huh?" Aurora didn't deny as that was the truth. She took a deep breathed and released it in a long, drawn-out sigh. "I didn't mean it to be like this, either..." 

Flamme nodded, as though she had expected it all along. "It's not surprising. Master is awkward person, after all."

Aurora let out a bitter chuckle. "Awkward person, huh? Me?" Ruffling her hair in vexation, she asked in faint mutter, "What do you think I should do, Flamme?"

"When do mistakes, apologize." The one in question answered in a straight tone befitting her expression and shifted her attention back to the crimson sword in her hand, as though it had nothing to do with her anymore.

'Well, duh... isn't it obvious? What kind of advice do I expect from someone who seemed more unsociable than me?' Aurora rolled her eyes, chuckling wryly. 'It isn't really wrong, though. But I don't think it'll be enough with a simple apology.'

It was a big blunder in her part, stemming from how little her experience dealing with people in real life and forging a genuine connection with them. She had assumed that it'd be better to deal with the matter on her own as much as she could as the group leader, but she didn't account in Claudia's feeling in this matter. But in reality, she had taken interpersonal relationship too lightly and suffered a backlash in the process.

If Claudia had such misgiving about her, what about the others? Did she feel the same? Aurora wondered, glancing at the seemingly indifferent girl beside her. She didn't want to repeat such mistake, so she decided to talk it through with her.

"What about you, Flamme?"

"Huh?" Flamme tilted her head, puzzled.

Seeing that the sword spirit didn't get what she means, Aurora articulated her worries. "I mean, aren't you angry with me too? After all, I'm also keeping a lot of things from you."

"Why would I? No matter what decision you made or whatever the secret you hold, Master will always be my Master." 

"Is it because you're my sword spirit?" Aurora's expression dropped. Although she had expected such answer coming from Flamme, she couldn't help but slightly disappointed at her submissiveness.

"That's only a part of it." Flamme shook her head, making it clear to Aurora. "Our bond bind our soul together for eternity, Master. So, I know that you'll never abandon me, and so does I'm." Her voice deepened, stressing on her next sentence. "But, Claudia is different."

"Ah, I see..."

Aurora was ashamed of herself that she, of all people, who should've been able to sympathize with Claudia's predicament, failed to notice the root of her anxiety and insecurity. Just like how she had given up and masked her sorrow with indifferent in the past, the elf pushed down her true feeling with her smiles and cheerfulness. But they were all just a façade.

It was clear to Aurora now, what Claudia needed the most right now wasn't a mere apology nor a word of condolence, but an reassurance that she was needed and a guarantee that she wouldn't be left behind.

Aurora felt somewhat lighter, as though a heavy stone had been lifted from her heart.

"Thank you, Flamme. Now I know what I should do." Aurora beamed a sincere smile and stood up, before leaving she didn't forget to say, "And also thank you for always looking out for all this time."

"Everything is for master."

Aurora went out of the mansion, searching for Claudia's whereabout.

*

As soon as Aurora enter the courtyard, she immediately spotted Claudia sitting on the wooden bench near the garden in silence.

Illuminated by the moonlight, the elf's silver hairs glimmered, fluttering like a river of star as the night breeze swept over. A hint of melancholy reflected on her eyes as she gazed at the night sky, although it looked like she had calmed down somewhat.

Aurora strutted over without hesitation, her steps firm.

Sensing the movement behind her, Claudia broke from her reverie and glanced over. After finding out the one who came was Aurora, she hurriedly called out, a slight awkwardness in her tone. "Ah.. Captain."

Aurora smiled awkwardly in return. "Here you're Claudia. Why don't we get in? It's already too late, I don't want you to catch a cold."

"I still want to stay here for a little bit."

Aurora nodded and walked over to her side. "Well, I guess me too then. Is it okay?"

"Well, it's enough for two I guess." Claudia slid slightly to the side, making a space for Aurora to sit on.

Aurora patted the bench twice before sitting down, leaned backward against the backrest, her head facing the night sky. Just like in her previous world, this world only had one moon too but it shone a mesmerizing orange light.

"The moon is lovely tonight." Aurora blurted out.

"Yeah, and just as lonely as it's beautiful." Claudia agreed with a note.

"Lonely, huh?" Aurora sighed faintly, almost whisper. Nothing but the moon was reflected on Aurora's golden eyes. "It shines in the dark sky among the sea of stars but it's still alone in the end."

Claudia's eyes widened in surprise. "I already noticed how good you're with a word from how easily you fool President Henrick, Captain. But I've never expected that you're quite a romanticist too."

Aurora smirked. "Well, now you know."

Giggling at each other for a while, soon they fell into silence once more.

"You know, Captain?" Claudia gazed at the distance, there was nothing particular in her line of sight, as though treading through memory lane, "I was picked up by Captain Gard since I was still a child and raised me together with everyone from Chiming Bell. From then onward, they were my home, my only world. I thought it would continue forever but who knew..."

Claudia stopped and sighed, "Although, it was only a short time but I had a lot of fun together with you and the other. If I'm being honest, I really want to be together with you all for a long time. But what if... what if I'm just being a burden to you and the group? I know that in the future we'll face a lot of difficulties and even dangers... I... will I be able to help by then? Or just like that time, I could only watch helplessly? I'm scared, Captain."

"Then, let's get stronger together, Claudia. Let's get stronger so no one will be left behind." 

"Can I?" Claudia's voice cracked, tears spilling out her eyes.

"I'll make sure you can." Aurora said firmly, pulling Claudia into her arms to comfort her. "And don't ever say you're useless again, Claudia. You're important for me, for our group."

"But I—"

"I was also abandoned, Claudia. I never felt it worthwhile to be alive in the past. But it change when I met you (and the other). You (all) give me the long lost warm. You saved me, Claudia. I won't let anyone looked down on my benefactor, even if it's yourself."

Claudia nodded without a word, enjoying the warmth and comfort as she sunk in Aurora's embrace. Calming fragrant from Aurora's body soothed her heart, enveloping her with the sense of security.

They hold each other under the moonlight. Ambiguous atmosphere pervaded in the air.

After calming down, Claudia suddenly realized what kind of embarrassing position she was in, let out a cute squeal, pushed Aurora away and run back to the mansion with flustered face.

Aurora was stunned and soon she felt her cheek warming up, a faint blush marred her beautiful face.

[Ding! Claudia's favorability increase by 10 points. Current favorability: 80 (complicated)]

'You're the one who make it complicated system!' Aurora chuckled bitterly for a moment before turning around and leaving the courtyard. 

66