Chapter 60. Aurora vs Janette
692 3 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It didn’t take a while before Aurora, Blair, and the three girls arrived at the training ground; except for Aurora and Janette in the arena, everybody else stood on the sidelines, watching their duel.

"This distance is enough."

Janette held a delicate and exquisite staff and walked to the right position like she usually did in a formal duel in the academy. She turned around and looked at Aurora on the opposite side with a solemn expression.

“Sure enough, she is still just an inexperienced little girl right now…” Just after a single glance, Aurora already understood her current state. Although she had already expected it in her heart, seeing the feared Firebolt Witch showing such naivety made her feel a little bit disappointed.

After all, as someone who once led the strongest guild before, she often PKs with other players. Compared to those players who played all kinds of scheming, Janette in front of her was as pure as a little sheep.

Janette, who was still waiting for Aurora to make a move, saw an unfamiliar crimson magic circle suddenly form on her right hand and readied her staff to counter the incoming attack.

Unfortunately, what happened next wasn’t something like a fire magic spell flying toward her but a scene where Aurora stretched out her hand inside the magic circle and took out an exquisite crimson sword, baffling her.

‘She uses a sword, that means she is probably a swordsman, right? But that trace of mana and the sword that appeared from nowhere, she feels like a summoner. But I’ve never heard of summoner summoning a weapon before! What’s going on here?’

Janette was now raking her brain to make sense of what was unfolding in front of her. Even for someone like her, who was attending the most prestigious academy and hailed as a genius mage, this was an uncharted region, something she had never experienced before.

But she wasn’t afraid. At least now she knew that Aurora was someone who used a sword as her main weapon. She had fought and simulated many battles with her fellow students, including those who practiced martial arts and weapon arts, and was thus confident in her ability to contend against anyone of the same age.

She waited and waited, but Aurora didn’t seem to have any intention to attack, just leisurely standing there while occasionally swinging her sword.

Janette couldn’t figure out what she was thinking. Didn’t she know that a mage has an absolute advantage when they are given enough space? That’s impossible! Someone, there was no way someone who made a living as a mercenary didn’t know such basic knowledge.

Suddenly, a thought occurred to her: Did she look down on her, believing that even with this handicap, she could easily defeat her?

Rage rushed into Janette’s head as she believed that would be the only reason why she looked so relaxed; no one had ever looked down at her like this before!

"Don't underestimate me! Firebomb!"

In her anger, she raised her wand and chanted the spell loudly. As the magical chant flowed out of her mouth, the crown of her staff started radiating a bright red light, and fiery flame congregated into several fireballs in the air. The surrounding air began to heat up, and even the grass below was affected by the heat and shriveled like it was autumn.

With a swing of her staff, she flung the fireballs at Aurora like a slingshot.

Boom! Boom! Boom!

Several fireballs slammed into the area where Aurora stood, causing the ground to be set ablaze as they crashed. Tumbling and rolling fire engulfed her in an instant.

"Captain!" Blair screamed when he saw this situation, anxiously scanning the area of impact for Aurora’s figure within the smoke and dust. “Why did she just stand there still?"

Janette’s expression became as tense as Blair's but for an entirely different reason. As the spellcaster, she could perceive that her seemingly successful attack didn’t do any actual damage to Aurora, which was as perplexing as everything else that happened since the beginning of this battle.

She didn’t know how Aurora did it, but if she thought that her attack would end just like this, oh she was really wrong. Janette raised her staff again, the lightning element bursting out of the jewel, crackling sounds overlapping with the sound of yet another spell chanting.

“Thunder Strike!”

Crackle—

A dense stream of electricity blitzed out barely above the ground like a slithering snake toward the raging flame at the speed of light.

Boom!

The moment the thunder came into contact with the fire, the fire violently exploded. A mushroom cloud composed of flames gradually rose from the ground, and a sudden heat wave swept directly towards Blight and the others, accompanied by a trace of rioting electric current.

"Not good! Everyone, run away!"

“Unbreakable Shield!”

Blair hurriedly prepared to pull them into the house, but at this time a tall figure had already stood in front of him, and a barrier of light expanded outwardly, shielding them from the impact.

"Oh! Miss Raia, thank you for your protection." Blair thanked her, wiping the cold sweat from his forehead.

"No biggies~" Raia burst into a grin, no fear shown on her alluring face.

Despite being relentlessly bombarded by the heat and thunder wave, the bright shield didn’t waver even in the slightest, displaying how capable its user was.

"That’s it?"

A calm voice resounded from within the whirlpool of fire and smoke as a figure enveloped by a protective film formed by flame and thunder gradually became clear. Aurora stood there unmoving, only indifference masking her face.

"How is that possible?! Aren't you a swordsman? Why can you use magic! More so, a dual-attribute magic?!"

Janette stared in a daze, dumbfounded. Everything in front of her turned her worldview around.

"You're still too tender." Aurora shrugged.

Although she seemed nonchalant, a glint of relief flashed in her eyes. Fortunately, she had activated [Elemental Transformation] in advance, converting her element into the thunder element while simultaneously borrowing the protection of the fire element in the Flamberge Waltz to offset the impact caused by Janette’s spell.

‘The mage profession is worthy of its name as the most destructive profession…’ Aurora inwardly sighed.

In the game, the mage was praised by all players as the most powerful profession due to its high firepower and wide-range attack. The same seemed to be applied to this world as well. If she didn’t make the preparation beforehand, she might already be lying on the ground and could only wait to be rescued by Blair and the others.

That’s aside, she once again reminded of how overpowered this girl was. Due to the attribute boost from her unknown bloodline, Aurora had the confidence to fight against enemies head-on, even if they were twice her level. However, facing Janette’s attack, she must admit that even after the effort she spent, she could only barely resist her power.

No matter how bad a mage was, if they blasted all their magic, she could at least take away several people if they were in a group battle. That was how dangerous the mage profession was.

As for why Aurora didn’t choose to be a mage before, at that time she felt it was too boring; after all, in the previous game she played, she always played as a magic caster.

When she played The Legend Online for the first time, realizing how realistic the game was, she really wanted to experience it to the fullest! This was a world of sword and magic, why chose only one of them? She wanted to pick both! Thus, she ended up as a Spirit Swordman which had the archetype of a magic swordsman.

"Guardian of Thunder!"

Janette yelled softly, and violent thunder snakes appeared beside her. These finger-like, thick lightning snakes wrapped around her to protect her. Only after doing all this did she relax a little.

"Smart move."

Seeing that Janette quickly gave up the attack, released the Guardian of Thunder, and assumed a defensive stance, Aurora gave her an approving nod for how quickly she adapted in a fight.

"Then it's time to give this lady a lesson." Aurora said, dashing toward Janette.

Seeing Aurora rush in her direction, Janette clenched her staff tightly on her chest, and the staff beamed a yellow light, seemingly maintaining the spell's duration. She was certain that no pure swordmanship could break her spell, and once Aurora was entangled by the thunder, she would regain the initiative in this fight.

She secretly mobilized her magic power, preparing to immediately switch from defense to offense the moment Aurora's attack failed, and win the battle with a powerful attack!

In the blink of an eye, Aurora had already come in front of Janette. Even though the thunder surged in front of her, her eyes didn’t fluctuate in the slightest. The Flamberge Waltz, coated with a whirlpool of flame, ran through the Guardians of Thunder in an unbreakable momentum, blasting them away with sheer force.

Boom!

The ground beneath Aurora cracked and upheaved under the impact of the collision.

"Hold on... just a little more..." Janette's eyes were full of dignity as she perceived that the guardian of thunder had begun breaking down under the attack of Aurora’s flaming sword. She stubbornly channeled more and more magic power into the staff to maintain her spell, waiting for a moment to strike.

How could Aurora do what she wished? The corners of her mouth suddenly raised slightly, and an emerald magic circle appeared in her empty left hand. From within it, she grabbed another sword that shone in a brilliant green light—Silvan Katti—and swung it downward, splitting the thunder snake in half like slicing a butter!

Each element has its own restriction, suppression, and reinforcement based on the rules and laws of this world. Fire and thunder mutually reinforced each other, while the fire element suppressed the wood element and so wood element to thunder element. In front of the wood element enchanted Silvan Katti, the Guardian of Thunder was as fragile as a piece of paper.

"No way!" Janette panicked for a moment, she could feel the strong wood elemental magic fluctuation coming from the edge of the sword.

—Oh, the soul of benevolent Mother Tree, I beseech thee to smite my enemy!

A mysterious chant flowed out of Aurora’s lips, and in the next second, the rich wood elements on the Wood Spirit formed several thorny vines and shot towards Janette. Janette, who was in a panic, immediately chanted a spell and pointed the fireball with her wand, releasing it directly.

"This idiot!" Aurora's pupils shrank after seeing several fireballs condensed in front of her staff. Under normal circumstances, a fire-type spell might be the right choice to counter the thorny vines, but she forgot one crucial thing! She was still under the protection of the Guardian of Thunder!

Unlike her, who had the [Magic Fusion] skill to resolve the conflict between elements, the current Jannette wasn’t able to achieve such a feat. Just like when she released her Thunder Strike toward the raging flame, they would collide with each other and explode! How could she survive such a terrible impact up close?!

Aurora gave up her previous plan to train her and then mobilized all her magic power to inject it into the emerald sword. Under the crazy infusion of her magic power, the Silvan Katti burst into an astonishing green light.

She slashed with all of her strength, and the originally strong Guardian of Thunder was cut open like paper. Before Janette could react, Aurora threw away her weapon and grabbed her neckline with a backhand, stomping her feet on the ground and throwing herself to the side along with Janette.

"Guardian of Fire!"

At the same time, Aurora immediately crossed the Flamberge Waltz in front of them, and the surrounding fire elements gathered in front of the sword to form a shield of rotating flames.

Boom!

In the next second, a violent explosion erupted from inside, and the shattered Thunder Guardian and fireballs shot out in all directions like a meteor shower.

"Ah! Goddess please be merciful!"

Blair and Mia hugged their heads and squatted behind Raia's protective shield, screaming at the top of their lungs.

Even though Aurora, who was closest to the explosion, was protected by the Flamberge Waltz, there were still some thunder fragments coming out of the surrounding flames and splashing towards them.

In the blink of an eye, Aurora hugged Janette tightly and turned around to block the thunder fragments that slipped through the net with her body. The moment they hit Aurora, they exploded, tearing her clothes apart and scorching her back.

Thump!

The two fell to the ground, but Aurora still embraced Janette tightly.

"Captain!"

After the chaos ended, Blair sprung up from behind the shield. The courtyard was already a mess in his eyes. He stared intently for a while before he found Aurora writhing on the messy ground and hurriedly ran towards her to help her up.

Janette was also frightened stupid at this time, and she didn't come back to her senses until she saw Aurora’s burned back as she was carried away by Blair and ran towards her in a panic.

"I..." She opened her mouth but didn't know what to say and could only let Blair help Aurora back to the mansion speechlessly.

29