Thirty: Young Master’s Crippled Wife
42 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xie Yuan blustered when he heard Lin Ru’s accusation but he didn’t have time to deal with him. At the moment, his attention was centered on Xiao Xue. Xie Yuan was severely disappointed in himself. Xiao Xue was beside him when she was attacked and he reacted poorly. If Ning Jing was an assassin, who aimed to kill, Xiao Xue would have lost her life. Now that she cannot utilize her own strength it’s up to him to protect her and at the first test he failed, miserably.

Xiao Xue slowly lifted her hand, aimed a slender finger towards Xie Yuan’s forehead and flicked mercilessly. How could she not know of his current thoughts? All of them were taken by surprise by the woman’s sudden action. Even He Ling and He Heng, who were not far from them, did not have time to react to the unprecedented situation. None of them considered the woman to be so brash. Xiao Xue understood Xie Yuan’s worry but this incident was nothing but a minor interlude and a very good lesson, for all of them.

Seeing Xie Yuan’s murderous gaze and feeling the slight trembling of his arms around her, Xiao Xue’s heart was unsettled but at the same time somewhat pleased. This incident would be one of many once people are made aware of their relationship. 

It is true that deep inside Xiao Xue feels anxious and insecure of Xie Yuan’s feelings for her. She doesn’t understand what it was about her that attracts him and perhaps she never will. Xiao Xue is deathly afraid that their relationship might be nothing more than a passing fancy for Xie Yuan. But time and again, he is proving her wrong.

Despite all her faults and shortcomings, Xie Yuan still chose her. Even if she could not fully understand why, Xiao Xue knew that what Xie Yuan felt for her was real and there’s no room left for doubt when it comes to her own feelings for him. Perhaps it was time to stop tormenting both of them.

“I’m not as helpless as you think.” Xiao Xue smiled, slightly amused. “Ah Yu, did you forget that I still have my physical strength?” Even if she could not utilize spiritual energy she could still use external force. Cultivating both spiritual and physical energies was indeed a blessing. Xiao Xue could not imagine what would become of her now if she did not insist on cultivating both beforehand.

Xie Yuan remained silent. His amethyst never left hers, his gaze deep and unfathomable. The turbulent emotions brewing in them were hard to ignore but Xiao Xue was not disturbed. Instead she felt calmer, more certain. This small hurdle was something they would have to overcome, both of them.

Xiao Xue cupped his face in between her hands, the gentle smile playing on the corner of her lips was still there. “Ah Yu, we cannot predict the future. Let this be a lesson for both you and I, to be more prudent.” She playfully scratched his chin with her fingers and unfalteringly declared, “I will not die so easily. After all, you promised to make me your wife.”

Xiao Xue’s smile was so dazzling that Xie Yuan felt his knees weaken. He really wanted to lock her somewhere where nothing and no one can hurt her. Xiao Xue had every right to condemn him for what happened but she’s consoling him instead. Xie Yuan felt he must have done something incredible in his past life to deserve someone as outstanding as her in this life.

Xie Yuan hugged Xiao Xue closer, tighter, and intimately rubbed his cheeks on hers. Ignoring every person within range and behaving as if they were alone. “Let’s get married soon, Little Xue. I cannot bear not having you as my wife any longer.”

Xiao Xue blushed to the tips of her ears. Noticing her lovely complexion, Xie Yuan felt gratified with his teasing. He wondered what kind of punishment he would receive later but decided it did not matter. Seeing her like that was worth it. 

But contrary to expectation, despite his mischievous actions and her shy demeanor, Xiao Xue did not falter nor did she back down like before. And to Xie Yuan’s disbelief and utter delight she answered clearly, “All right.”

Everyone in the vicinity was a cultivator. Even if they were pretending not to eavesdrop they were privy to the situation happening in the yard. Xie Yuan was guileless with his actions and did not bother to restrict his gestures nor his words. There was no denying nor mistaking what he just stated. Xiao Xue might have been reserved, initially, but her affirmation was clear enough for all to hear. After the intimate conversation there was a sudden stillness in the air, like a calm before the storm. Everyone was afraid to make a noise, painfully holding their breaths, until out of nowhere it erupted into chaos!

Every person who was watching the show in the yard did not think they would hear such great news! Most of them recognized Xie Yuan, who wouldn’t? Not only was he renowned as the Young Master of Divine Martial Sect, he’s also a well-respected and talented cultivator. Many hearts would break with this sudden news but it was, without a doubt, top notch stuff!

The reaction of those within the yard were divided. Zhang Lao and the guards including Yi Xin were happy for the couple, most especially for Xie Yuan. All of them knew how much the young lord had been pining for the young mistress. Before, the young mistress agreed to a marriage she stipulated conditions that might make it hard for the young lord to accomplish and that made everyone around him nervous. They did not want to think what would happen if the young lord does not get the young mistress as his wife in the end. Blessedly, the young mistress changed her mind and agreed to perform the rites soon without conditions unlike before. Now perhaps the young lord would not be so shameless when he’s courting the young mistress and they, as subordinates, would be able to walk with their heads held high once again.

While this group was obviously joyous and relieved, others were having mixed feelings and were cheerless, particularly the disciples of Divine Martial Sect.

There had been a lot of gossip surrounding the young master recently. The incident during the beast tide in Infernal Rise Valley and the clash with the elders of Spirit Temple were big issues that even the sect had to arbitrate. Now, the young master rashly announced his desire to marry a woman of unknown origins to the public after injuring a junior and offending his fellow disciples.

The person involved is the young master of Divine Martial Sect so everyone started speculating on who the young woman was. The identity of the woman cradled in Xie Yuan’s arms, protected like a treasure, was indeed something to speculate about. No one seemed to know who she was or where she came from. And from the initial prodding of the brave cultivators around, the young woman does not seem to have any strength at all!

Just when the tension was at its peak a roaming cultivator suddenly exclaimed, “High Priestess! She’s Spirit Temple’s High Priestess!”

Coincidentally, the cultivator was in Infernal Rise Valley during the beast tide. He was one of the cultivators who answered Xie Yuan’s summon for help and personally witnessed Xiao Xue’s brilliance in defending the valley. He, among others, felt that Xie Yuan did the right thing taking the priestess away from the elders of Spirit Temple. When they learned of how the High Priestess was ill-treated all these years, they too wanted to move against the elders. 

Personally, the roaming cultivator felt indebted to the High Priestess. During the time of the beast tide she single-handedly protected the whole valley and everyone within it. And as cultivators, they cannot turn a blind eye when an injustice was committed particularly towards someone who could be considered as a brave heroine.

“Priestess? The crippled Priestess of Spirit Temple?” someone from the crowd curiously asked.

Everyone was suddenly enlightened. It came as no surprise that no one could prod or gauge the young woman’s cultivation. It was widely spread that the current High Priestess of Spirit Temple was a cripple with a ruined face. But that destroyed mien has nothing to do with her strength. According to reports, the Priestess practices a method that hides her cultivation realm which makes it hard for people to determine the extent of her prowess. But considering the recent beast tide was fended off, alone, by the Priestess and the valley suffered zero casualties, a first in the temple’s history, it’s not wrong to assume that she is quite powerful.

“Yes, you’re right.” Another cultivator chimed in excitedly after getting a better look at Xiao Xue. “It is the High Priestess!”

More people started speaking out, some from firsthand accounts while others were parroting what they heard from gossip. With this, another commotion arose as Xiao Xue’s identity was slowly revealed. A new wave of speculation swept through the onlookers. Upon connecting the gossip and what transpired in the yard, everyone had an opinion on what happened in Infernal Rise Valley after the beast tide. Debating whether Xie Yuan abducted the priestess or she came with him willingly.

This situation was like a jade mine for gossip mongers! Even in the vast cultivation world there are those who thrive in stories, truth or lies, of others. People were stunned and elated, in varying degrees, but the people involved did not seem to notice the huge wave they created.

“You said it, you approve! You cannot take it back.” Xie Yuan pressed Xiao Xue closer to his chest, like he wanted to meld their bodies together and proceeded to say, “I will have Zhang Lao do the preparations. Once we return to the sect we will marry or better yet, we can do it here. We better marry at the earliest opportunity. Zhang Lao!” Xie Yuan was so animated it was almost comical.

Xiao Xue chuckled and wrapped her arms around Xie Yuan’s neck. His enthusiastic response was quite infectious. “We can wait until we get back to your sect.” She said burying her still red face on the crook of his neck.

“No! You might change your mind again and I will be…” Before Xie Yuan could finish what he wanted to say, Xiao Xue leaned over and planted a butterfly kiss by the side of his lips.

“I won’t,” she whispered solemnly. The push and pull was doing neither of them good. Their desires are aligned and it’s apparent they would not separate regardless of the odds. Since that is so, getting married now or later would make no difference at all.

Belatedly realizing where they were, Xiao Xue gently patted Xie Yuan’s shoulder. “Ah Yu, put me down.” It suddenly dawned on her that she just did something extremely bold.

Xie Yuan was reluctant to let her go but after receiving a silent look of reprimand he gently let her down. He didn’t care about anything or anyone else. Now that Xiao Xue was no longer pulling away from him everything was perfect in his universe.

Zhang Lao was the first to come forward, “Congratulations, young lord!” He was beaming so much his wrinkled face was stretched taut. The Master and Mistress would have to be told in the next missive and perhaps the young misses too. Zhang Lao was still apprehensive but all the worries were thrown at the back of his mind. For now, he was happy for the young couple. The future, for him, appears to be hard but looks very bright.

Yi Xin, as well, respectfully stepped forward and congratulated the couple. He then quickly checked Xiao Xue’s pulse, to be sure she did not suffer any harm from Ning Jing’s rash actions. He only stepped back and breathed a sigh of relief after determining everything was well. Not to mention Xie Yuan, his Master would skin him alive if something happened to apprentice sister while she was under his care.

2