Thirty-Six: A Series of Events
38 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The detoxification lasted for three days and nights. Aside from asking for food and water for cleansing themselves, the door of the room remained tightly closed. In the morning of the fourth day, Xie Yuan went out of the room, looking fresh and vigorous. He called for the red faced Yi Xin to examine Xiao Xue’s condition. 

Yi Xin determined that Xie Yuan had been meticulous with the detoxification process. There was no trace of Eternal Spring Bliss in Xiao Xue’s system. He also discerned that the two practiced a paired cultivation technique because Xiao Xue’s internal energy was more robust than before.

The wedding ceremony was moved forward due to Xie Yuan’s insistence. But before the joyous occasion could proceed, something important had to be addressed.

The drug, Eternal Spring Bliss, did not magically appear in the manor. Someone smuggled the drug to purposely hurt Xiao Xue. 

During the days of Xie Yuan’s seclusion with Xiao Xue, a full investigation and search was done within the manor. Every servant, guard and even the occasional visitors were accounted for. No detail was too small and nothing was overlooked.

This situation proved Zhang Lao’s true worth as Xie Yuan’s main caretaker. The search was thorough and executed without alerting anyone of its purpose. Within those short days, Zhang Lao found the culprit behind the nefarious scheme and immediately dispatched the twins, He Heng and He Ling, to keep watch. Zhang Lao did not make a move against the sinner until Xie Yuan ordered for the person to be brought before him.

It did not come as a shock to anyone when they learned who the vile schemer was. But everyone was apprehensive whether the person in question was indeed the true mastermind or was merely a common pawn.

When Ning Jing received an invitation from Xie Yuan’s manor she did not think anything was wrong. The two guards that were deployed to escort her from the sect were intimidating but courteous. The disciples, who heard about the news, were jealous of Ning Jing’s good fortune and strived to form friendly relations with Ning Jing. Even Ning Jing’s esteemed Master, who was usually stern and apathetic, was beaming with pride as he sent her off. 

But the moment Ning Jing stepped through the gates of Xie Yuan’s manor and saw the bloodied forms of several servants hanging on a nearby tree, she realized she had fallen into a trap. A glimpse was all it took for Ning Jing to realize that the servants tortured and hung on the tree were the same people she sent to infiltrate and spy on Xie Yuan’s manor. 

Although these people have no direct connection to the Ning Family and were considered rogue cultivators, Ning Jing offered the lot of them a substantial sum and handed them a token that could be traced back to the clan. 

After her secret talk with Lin Ru, Ning Jing managed to calm her rage and decided to follow her senior brother’s instructions. But after learning that Xie Yuan decided to stay in a manor outside of the sect, in order to live with Xiao Xue, Ning Jing’s rationality completely crumbled. She forgot about Lin Ru’s carefully thought out plan and decided to make a move on her own, using her family’s resources and connection.

Ning Jing is not a serious offender. She’s not a good person but she’s not inherently evil. Aside from slight bullying and using her status to instill fear and intimidate weak-willed people, Ning Jing never did anything extremely cold-blooded. 

Perhaps Ning jing’s biggest crime is being a thoughtless idiot. She never expected the people she sent would be caught and traced back to her. She was naive with her plot and thought it would work out just because she deemed it to.

Xie Yuan took one look at Ning Jing’s face and icily commanded, “Cripple her and toss her out!” 

Xie Yuan did not invite Ning Jing to the manor to hear her excuses or to understand the motivation for her actions. The only reason Xie Yuan wanted Ning jing brought before him was because he wanted to personally witness the woman plunge into hell. Anyone who hurts his wife will suffer the same or a more terrible fate. No one is allowed to hurt Xiao Xue!

Yan Hao flashed towards the unsuspecting Ning Jing and brutally struck her dantian. Yan Hao’s strength is realms above Ning Jing’s. In terms of cultivation and physical prowess he’s vastly more powerful than her. Employing a secret technique and half of his strength, Yan Hao easily crippled Ning Jing. 

Ning Jing miserably fell on the ground and threw up blood. Everything happened so fast Ning Jing failed to fully comprehend the situation until it was already over. But the unmistakable feeling of having her cultivation wasted was too distinct. As she lay on the ground, Ning Jing could feel the spiritual energy that’s been abundantly gathered and concentrated in her center slowly disapitate. And with every breath, her body grows weaker.

As she was being dragged out of the manor, Ning Jing screamed at the injustice and cursed Xie Yuan. “What did I do wrong? Xie Yuan, all I did was devote myself to you! I loved you more than anyone else! Why do you have to be so cruel?” She cannot believe that she was crippled for a nameless, ugly bitch. 

The worst part of the whole process was Xie Yuan’s indifference. He did not ask her why or gave her a chance to explain and plead her case. He looked at her like she was nothing but a filthy thing and cruelly wasted her as such. Ning Jing knew Xie Yuan is a callous man but she did not realize, until today, that he was vindictive and heartless!

Xie Yuan continued to walk away as if he could not hear Ning Jing’s mournful cries. Today’s episode was kept from Xiao Xue. She was still recovering and he wanted to go back to her as soon as possible. 

After Xie Yuan’s form disappeared from view, Xie Shan, who was watching from the side, stepped forward and lifted Ning Jing’s bowed head so she could take a good look at her pale face. 

Such a beautiful girl. Xie Shan thought as she scanned Ning Jing’s face. But Xie Shan did not feel sorrow or compassion for Ning Jing’s suffering and misfortune. The woman plotted against a person who is now a member of their family. This sort of crime cannot be forgiven. 

If Ning Jing’s scheme worked and something untoward happened to Xiao Xue because of that incident, the outcome would have been dire. Xie Shan’s relationship with Xie Yuan would have suffered and could have been unjustly broken due to the chain. 

The thought that the seemingly simple incident could have had grievous consequences was enough to kill any semblance of pity Xie Shan might have felt for Ning Jing.

“It’s because you touched someone that you shouldn’t have…” Xie Shan said as she signaled the servants to drag Ning Jing away and toss her out of the manor. This would be the last time they would see her. 

Within the day, evidence of the Ning Family’s criminal deals and dubious connections with crooked officials within the mortal world were spread. The family’s numerous holdings were seized, with some businesses and manors burned to the ground. The members of the clan were rounded up and imprisoned while the main family were executed on the spot, without pardon. 

The commotion was huge but the execution of the tasks were swift and fluid. No one dared to come forward and contest the verdict against the Ning Family or extend an olive branch. Everyone watched and waited for the uproar to unfold and die down without thought or notion to help or add fuel to the fire. 

When Lin Ru learned of what happened, he couldn’t help but swipe the tea set from the table. He knew Ning Jing was stupid but he did not think she was that stupid! After carefully crafting a plan in order to trap Xie Yuan and the crippled priestess, Ning Jing went and ruined it all. 

In Lin Ru’s mind, it is better that Ning Jing was already dead. If she weren’t, he would have killed her himself. If he learned of what she wanted to do, he would have stopped her. The plan was doomed to fail and Xie Yuan could easily investigate the matter and point it back to them. 

But now that the damage is done, Lin Ru could only grit his teeth and make sure that Xie Yuan doesn’t find out his short alliance with Ning Jing. Lin Ru massaged his aching head. He would have to rethink his plans and let the matter blow over before he makes his next move.

As the Ning Family’s fall spread, more people started to speculate as to what brought about the sudden downfall. The Ning Family was not a hegemon amongst the prestigious families within the Lower Regions but they were within the elite group. 

The most popular belief was the Ning Family offended a parsonage that they shouldn’t have offended. Who else could have brought down the mallet so swiftly that no one was able to react until after the fact? 

When people started to unravel the course of events that led to the family’s demise and connected the few obvious dots, more mayhem ensued. It suddenly appeared to be an internal struggle within a prestigious sect since the parties involved were disciples of the same sect!

The Sect Master of Divine Martial Sect did not issue a statement. Even Ning Jing’s Master did not make a move. The whole sect allowed people to form their own conjectures and did not clarify or deny any claims.

For a while, the territory of Divine Martial Sect was in uproar. But none of the chaos reached the secluded courtyard where Xiao Xue  and Xie Yuan lived. 

After the incident with the Eternal Spring Bliss, Xiao Xue and Xie Yuan’s relationship became more harmonious and intimate. With the ceremony just around the corner, preparations within the manor were in full swing, the atmosphere became lively and more positively charged. 

But to Xie Yuan’s dismay, Xie Shan stuck to Xiao Xue like a leech. 

After finding out that Xiao Xue practices a breathing technique that completely hides her breath and aura, Xie Shan pestered Xiao Xue to impart the skill to her. The technique is rare but it wasn’t part of the secret techniques that originated from Spirit Temple. 

The previous Priestess, Xiao Xue’s Master, did not prohibit her from imparting this particular skill to others so she was more than willing to teach Xie Shan. But because of this development, Xie Shan became more attached to Xiao Xue. It even came to a point when the siblings came to blows and Zhang Lao, again, had to step in and mediate.

Aside from Xie Shan’s fixation on Xiao Xue, Xie Yuan had another matter to deal with. Another person from his family arrived at the manor. Unlike Xie Shan, who sneaked to the Lower Realm without anyone’s knowledge or approval, Xie Feng was under the family’s behest.

Xie Feng is Xie Yuan’s second elder sister. Because the oldest of the siblings, Xie Zhen, is currently expecting and would give birth soon, the task of representing the family fell on Xie Feng’s shoulders. 

In truth, Xie Feng had no intention to oppose Xie Yuan’s decision to marry. Even their Mother and Father have such thoughts. 

The clan Patriarch and Matriarch have absolute trust in their children’s vision and intuition. All four of their children have strong personalities. But each child was wise beyond their years and could discern for themselves what they wanted and needed in life. Unless the situation is life threatening, the two would not purposely be involved in their children’s lives and decision making.

The only reason the family sent someone to look at Xie Yuan's bride is to gauge her character and  personally get to know her. Because the family understood Xie Yuan’s possessive personality, they knew he wouldn't bring his wife home in order to meet his family until he is threatened or coerced to do so. Xie Yuan would deliberately keep Xiao Xue to himself and intentionally keep his family away from her to avoid sharing his wife’s attention and affection with anyone. Yes, Xie Yuan could display such petty behavior.

During the meeting, Xie Feng realized that Xie Yuan and Xiao Xue’s breaths were no longer those of a virgin. It meant that the two have been intimate though they’ve yet to marry or accept each other as dao companions. This caused Xie Feng to worry. For a practitioner, this sort of capricious behavior could lead them astray and destroy their opportunities for higher breakthroughs. But after hearing the full account of what actually transpired from Xie Shan, Xie Feng laid her worries to rest. 

Xie Feng finds Xiao Xue quite pleasing. She’s easy to like and gives off a gentle and serene feeling that one naturally wants to get close to. 

After observing how Xiao Xue good naturedly treats the irascible, Xie Shan, and how Xie Yuan behaves around her, Xie Feng thought it was a blessing to acquire such a tender-hearted sister in law. And like Xie Shan, Xie Feng vaguely wondered how her wayward little brother caught such a demure wife.

2