Chapter Twenty: Medicinal Bath
254 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hell… Xiao Xue thought gravely. Every part of her body was in pain. She was burning! A sense of loss and helplessness surged through Xiao Xue. She must have succumbed to her injuries and died after the ritual. She crossed over once and it’s unlikely she would do so again. Perhaps she was now sent to hell to burn for eternity.

A set of teasing amethyst colored eyes flashed through Xiao Xue’s mind. What about Ah Yu? She thought sadly. What would he do now? 

Xiao Xue has died once she wasn’t afraid of dying again. What she’s afraid of was causing misery and pain to the person she’s leaving behind. When she gave Xie Yuan her soul jade she decided they would get married. After the problem with the beast tide was dealt with she promised to follow him but did not promise anything else. 

Xiao Xue didn’t want to promise him before the ritual, thinking it would be a nice surprise when she mentions it after, during their travels. She wanted to see how Xie Yuan would react. Xiao Xue thought she would survive the ritual. She knew she would be injured but hoped she would pull through. For the first time, after she crossed over, Xiao Xue was making solid plans for the future. But reality is as cruel as ever. It turns out, ‘fate’ was still hell-bent on playing with her.

The fiery sensation slowly scorching her flesh and bones grew more intense. Xiao Xue wanted to scream but did not have the energy to do so. She could only suffer in silence as she tried to recall all the moments she spent with Xie Yuan. Only those memories could give her comfort now. 

A self-deprecating smile played at the corner of her lips, Xiao Xue was afraid to acknowledge it before but now, even in death it’s still Xie Yuan’s presence that’s giving her comfort. It’s heartbreaking when she thinks that after what he’d done for her all she managed to give him were, perhaps, only bad memories. Xiao Xue was not reconciled but what could she do now?

In the midst of her grief and pain, Xiao Xue felt a foreign spiritual energy gradually flow through her battered body. It originated from her wrist and steadily spread to her injured limbs. The soothing energy gradually coursed through her fragile meridians gently guiding her stagnant spiritual energy, helping it shift and flow. The spiritual energy untiringly circulated through her body and with it came relief, a sort of reprieve she never thought she would feel again.

Xie Yuan closely observed as Xiao Xue’s tightly knit brows slowly unfurl. Once he was sure Xiao Xue was no longer suffering he viciously glared at Yi Xin and coldly asked, “Was she supposed to react like this?” Xie Yuan was cradling Xiao Xue’s unconscious form close to his chest as he continued to supply her with spiritual energy. If he was not afraid of seeing her in that state of agony again, he would have rushed to Yi Xin and crushed his stupid head!

Yi Xin shuddered at the invisible threat and replied, “Young lord, the medicinal bath will help heal her physical and internal injuries. The herbs mixed in this bath are beneficial and soaking in the bsth could also help strengthen the Priestess’ body. The process is simple but it is indeed a bit painful. How painful, I cannot say because it varies from person to person. But believe me when I tell you that this medicinal bath is very good for her!”

When Xie Yuan turned his attention back to Xiao Xue’s face Yi Xin hurriedly swallowed, he gulped down his fear and wiped his sweaty forehead with his sleeves. 

To be honest, there were moments, slight but distinct moments, during the past days when Yi Xin was unsure whether his life was lucky or unlucky. He’s been treating Xiao Xue for three days now. Thankfully, they’ve successfully passed the critical stage and are now on the second phase of the treatment. If nothing unexpected happens, Xiao Xue will awaken later tonight or early tomorrow. After that would be supplements and post treatment care until she fully recovers.

Every time Yi Xin administers a treatment whether it’s acupuncture, feeding herbal tonics or making Xiao Xue consume spiritual energy pills, Yi Xin makes it a point to explain the positive and negative effects of the treatment to Xie Yuan in order to prepare him for any possibility of a relapse. During these one-sided conversations where Yi Xin would speak until his voice was hoarse and his throat ran dry, Xie Yuan would not say much. He would attentively listen to Yi Xin’s explanation and would only ask a single question. Each time Xie Yuan would ask, ‘Will it make her better?’ and if the answer is a definite ‘Yes’ then the treatment will proceed as Yi Xin explained otherwise it will not be applied until further deliberation and adjustment so the ratio of success is higher.

The latest treatment, a medicinal bath, was agreed upon the night before. Li Song and He Heng finally managed to gather all the herbs in Yi Xin’s list. Xiao Xue’s condition was on the mend and Yi Xin felt it was the right time to add the medicinal bath to promote faster recovery and help strengthen her body.

When the medicinal bath was first mentioned Xie Yuan slammed Yi Xin against the wall, again, and for a moment Yi Xin saw one of his ancestors beckoning him from the other side. Blessedly, Zhang Lao was there to placate Xie Yuan and Yi Xin managed to escape death’s scythe once again. Only, he had to explain the details of the treatment while he was gloriously dizzy and collapsed on the floor. 

Realizing that Yi Xin was not acting lasciviously and was not trying to covet his woman, Xie Yuan grudgingly agreed. But Yi Xin, as a man, cannot be present to supervise this particular treatment and Yi Xin was more than happy to comply.

Initially, Yi Xin was going to ask for female helpers first before attempting to mention or bring out the idea of the medicinal bath. Knowing that Xie Yuan is quite sensitive when it comes to Xiao Xue, Yi Xin has been prudent and meticulous while performing his duty. 

But as always, at some point during treatment, Yi Xin got preoccupied with his thoughts and conveyed the idea of the bath in passing without preparation. This type of inattention and slight error almost cost him his life. Again.

After the medicinal bath was approved the next problem was finding the female helpers. If the situation was not urgent, Xie Yuan would have preferred to send for He Heng and Yan Hao’s wives before starting the medicinal bath treatment. Both women are his subordinates, they have adequate strength to support and react according to the situation. Most of all, they could be trusted with Xiao Xue’s safety. 

But Xiao Xue has been unconscious for days now. Xie Yuan is afraid that if she continues to sleep like this she might not wake up again. It would take a month for someone from Divine Martial Sect to arrive in Infernal Rise Valley. Even with no rest and a fast flying sword, it would still take at least twenty days for someone to arrive from there. Unless they have a handy teleportation array the two options are off the table. Xie Yuan would never allow anyone from Spirit Temple to intervene, the servants have very low cultivation and he does not trust roaming cultivators. In the end, Li Song’s wife and two daughters, who happened to have decent cultivation levels, were called to help.

The medicinal bath is quite simple to administer. The water would be kept at a certain temperature and the herbs would be added along with tonics and elixirs that Yi Xin had prepared beforehand. Xiao Xue would have to soak in the medicated water until the greenish color of the water becomes clear. This sort of bath would have to be administered every five days until her injuries are completely healed.

After fixing the medicinal bath and reminding the women of what they should do and look out for, Yi Xin left the room and joined the group of people waiting outside. Once he caught sight of Xie Yuan’s murderous expression and felt his terrifying aura, Yi Xin perceptively stood out of the way as they waited for the women to call them inside once the bath was done. 

Who would have thought that Yi Xin had not even finished his first cup of tea when Li Song’s eldest daughter stumbled out of the room, pale and stammering for them to come inside.

Xie Yuan immediately flashed inside the room with Yi Xin not far behind. Once they entered, Xie Yuan erected a barrier preventing the women inside from leaving and the men outside from entering.

“What happened?” Xie Yuan roared savagely.

Xiao Xue, who’s still submerged in the wooden tub, was held up by Li Song’s younger daughter. The water inside the tub was still dark green in color with swirls of steam floating over it. Everything appears normal but instead of recovering her vitality, Xiao Xue seemed to be getting weaker and was on the verge of losing her life! Xiao Xue’s face that previously was regaining its color is now ghastly white. Her body was shaking and her brows were tightly knit, as if she’s suffering from extreme torture.

Without warning Xiao Xue coughed out a mouthful of black blood which startled everyone in the room. Xie Yuan hurried to her side and took over holding up. He did not think twice and immediately sent spiritual energy in her body to alleviate the pain and block whatever it is that’s trying to harm her.

“Young lord, we don’t know what happened. We absolutely followed Master Yi’s instructions. At first, young mistress was doing all right. We could clearly see the bath was working as Master Yi described. All of sudden young mistress started shaking and soon appeared like her vitality was being drained. I did not know what to do so I sent my daughter out to get you.” Li Song’s wife explained tearfully as she knelt on the floor. The change happened so suddenly it petrified the mother and daughters. Li Song warned that nothing untoward should happen to the young lady or their whole family would lose their heads. But what happened now?

Xie Yuan was so livid he started to seriously contemplate committing multiple murders. In the end, he decided this was not the time to go crazy. Xiao Xue still needs the treatment and the people are still useful. He breathed in and out harshly to control his temper before commanding, “You three stay and help. You,” he looked pointedly at Yi Xin, “Get out!”

Yi Xin didn’t waste time and immediately walked out. Once outside he released the breath he didn’t know he was holding. He placed his hand over his heart and thanked his lucky stars it was still beating. Good thing those women had the forethought to keep Xiao Xue’s inner clothes on when they placed her in the bath. Yi Xin felt like he was given another lease in life, everything outside looked bright and colorful.

Seeing Yi Xin’s strange appearance Zhang Lao approached him and asked, “What happened inside? How’s the young mistress? Where’s the young lord?”

Yi Xin was dazed for a moment but instead of answering Zhang Lao’s query he asked, “Elder Zhang, do you think people will still want me to cure them even if I am blind?”

With Xie Yuan’s temper even if he did not see anything inappropriate the young lord would and could still consider blinding or crippling him for seeing the Priestess in such disarray. Even if he pleads for his innocence it would be of no use. The young lord’s temper is quite ruthless and with the Priestess’ current condition, it's borderline crazy. These days even Zhang Lao, as Xie Yuan’s main caretaker, and his personal guards, who’ve been with him since he was young, were very attentive when serving the young lord.

Suddenly, the image of his stingy Master flashed through Yi Xin’s mind. He wondered if his Master would plead to the young lord on his behalf. Yi Xin thought for a while and grudgingly admitted the impossibility of such an occurrence. Instead of pleading on his behalf that old man might offer him up and wash his hands off of him to save his own hide!

Yi Xin distractedly shook his head and walked away, leaving the disconcerted Zhang Lao staring after him.

9