Chapter 2 – Dainsleif
689 7 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From what I could remember, Dainsleif was actually pretty close by. After checking on my phone, I realized that I lived in the exact location of my last life. 

The nearby Puru Mountains most likely held the sword somewhere in its rocky landscape. 

I just didn't know where. When I had written down the part where John obtained Dainsleif, I merely jotted it down as a byproduct of him exploring the terrain.

I saw no use in writing how he got it, especially since he wouldn't use it anyway. 

After reading through my status once again, I finally began preparing to leave the building right away. 

If I was going to get Dainsleif before John, it would be better to grab it as soon as possible.

After I got off the bus, I immediately derailed away from the mountain road path and headed for the woods.  

There was no worry in my head. Monsters weren't bound to appear here; it was a place that was regularly guarded. 

The atmosphere was a bit eerie, but the light seeping through the cracks in the leaves helped stabilize my breathing. 

Were there ghosts there?

"I should stop thinking about things like this. It's only gonna make me more scared."

I looked at the sign in front of me. 

"Puru Mountain (Private Property)." 

Yup, definitely haunted. The sign was almost falling off. Holes were lined up all across its rusty surface. 

Ah, well, you only live once. No, actually twice. Crap, I guess it's thrice in John's case. 

I shook my head and walked past the sign. 

Now then… where should I look? 

The mountains were at least the size of the skyscrapers back in the city. It would take an absurd amount of time for me to even locate it.

"I guess I'll start… over there."

***

"This definitely does NOT feel like the place."

I was currently stuck climbing the side of a mountain wall. 

When I first ascended, there was a clear path laid out on the mountain edges. It was clearly indicated, too. With stairs and all that. 

But the more I ascended, the more the path began receding. The paved areas gradually vanished, and the handrails mysteriously disappeared. It was like the people who had built this didn't even bother to finish their job. 

I was already pretty high up, too. I didn't want to waste time by heading downward. 

"Maybe I should've attended P.E. more often when I was still in school… My physical prowess is laughable."

I didn't have time to beat myself up and reminisce about the old days, however. There was a sword to obtain, and I was sure as hell going to be the first one to get it. 

Despite being worn out already, I forced myself to continue the climb. If I couldn't grab Dainsleif for myself, I'd have to settle for weaker weapons.

Eventually though, the journey to the top of the peak was finished. The oxygen levels here were exponentially less than the ones on the surface, but it did provide me with a beautiful view of the entire landscape. 

What still baffled me was how I actually managed to climb the mountain, and with minimal breaks. My body must've undergone some changes when I was sent here. 

Seeing as how I had a status like most of the inhabitants of this world, I could confidently call myself an "enhanced human." Not that that was an actual term.

"...right, maybe this climb was useless."

As I gazed upon the vast stretch of rocky mountains, I sighed in defeat, as there was nothing else in view.

The only thing I was certain about was that Dainsleif was located here. But that was it. No exact location, no helpful hints. 

"I'm not giving up this easily, though. Time to head back down and try again."

While all seemed lost, I convinced myself it really wasn't. After taking time to strengthen my resolve (and catch my breath), I once again was headed back down.

The journey to the surface wasn't as time-consuming as it normally would've been, though. Going downwards was always better than heading upwards. 

In fact, it wasn't even that taxing on my legs. I was confident I could blaze down the path without so much as breaking a sweat. 

"Screw it." 

And I did. I knew that there was a risk of falling off, but I made sure to maintain proper caution whenever I reached a turn. 

And within half an hour, I had already made it to the bottom.

"Hah… ground at last." 

I plopped myself down on the grass. Its sharp blades began piercing into my skin, making the entire process feel much more painful than it should've been. 

"Where to look… Come on, Dignitas. You're the author, the creator of this world. If I can't find even a single sword, I'll be eternally ashamed."

I got up once again and began combing through the entire area.

Despite my energy being clearly higher than a normal human's, it had its limits. I soon began to feel tired, and soon it felt as if I was only able to move because of leftover adrenaline. 

"Dammit, is it really not here?"

I was positive it was here. I may not have paid much attention to the sword or who wielded it, but as a matter of fact, I knew it was here. 

Just as I was thinking to head back home, my eyes caught sight of something reflecting light. It was only a momentary glint, but that was enough to grab my full attention. 

Uncaring for my safety, I practically crossed the entire field of grass I was on. Full of adrenaline, I soon found myself in front of a cave. 

There I saw it! I could recognize that red blade anywhere! 

It was Dainsleif, in all its mighty glory. Its metal hue shone brightly even inside the unlit cave. 

Mythical swords would usually require challengers to pass a test for them to consider being used, but Dainsleif was different in that it didn't have a consciousness. 

From what I knew, at least. Let's hope I don't receive some sort of mental backlash from trying to take what isn't mine. 

I slowly walked towards the statue holding the sword. Its hand was tightly wrapped around the weapon as if it was hugging it. 

Looking closer, I noticed the statue had a body that was more on the feminine side. 

Was this perhaps the past wielder of Dainsleif? 

Ah, it doesn't matter. She's dead, and I'm not. 

I reached out towards the sword in her grasp. As I got closer, I noticed her grip on the weapon tightening. 

Did the statue still have its consciousness intact? 

"This is mine now." I slowly placed my hands on the sword before pulling it backwards. 

The sword easily came off without any resistance. I looked over to fully scan its blade. 

Then, all of a sudden, the cave began rumbling. The interior of the cave was shaking rapidly. 

I looked at the entrance. My eyes widened at the sight of tens of skeletons forming. Bones that I didn't notice were beginning to merge into calcium monstrosities. 

In just a minute, the entrance was now completely blocked by an entire horde of skeletons. 

"Seriously…? Give me a break." 

I was already tired from the long walk here, and now I had to somehow fight for my life. 

I looked down at the weapon I held in my right hand. Just from its length alone, I knew Dainsleif was a sword meant to be two-handed. 

My strength didn't allow for that, though. 

"Shouldn't… this world treat its creator a bit better?" I joked. Even in this situation, I tried my best to keep calm. 

"I'll have to end this quickly. Let's see what you've got, Dainsleif." I smirked while brandishing the sword out. 

The red glint that shone from the sword's blade served well to make me feel better. With Dainsleif, I felt that I could win any of the battles I fought. 

I could not afford to lengthen this fight any more than necessary, though. 

Closing the distance between me and a skeleton, I swung Dainsleif downwards. 

*crack*

Instantly, the monster was crushed under the sword's weight. 

The short clacking it made was enough for me to confirm that it was dead. 

I activated Death's Vision. Hundreds of mirages appeared from each of the skeleton's bodies, showing me what they would do next. 

Ignoring most of them, I shifted my head to look for the attack that would most likely hit me. 

"There it is."

I swung my sword the opposite way, even before its attack came. With my weapon already in the "swinging" stage, my power output was already at its highest. 

I managed to blast through the skeleton's attack, pushing its sword backward and stabbing mine through its spine. 

Another cracking sound and I had already moved to the closest monster. 

This was one of the times that I was confident I wouldn't get hit if I kept my guard up.

Why?

My answer lied in the latter half of Death's Vision's description. 

"Will occasionally show the targeted opponent/s next move. The closer they are to death, the more likely their moves are to be true."

And seeing as how skeletons were basically dead people, I had no doubts in my skill's ability. 

At least for this battle. 

As I sliced away at the last few skeletons, I began to think about what to do next (besides heading home). 

Attending the Academy was one thing, but there were quite possibly an infinite amount of items tucked away from the far reaches of humanity. 

My goal would be to unveil these artifacts and use them to make me stronger. 

Of course, I wouldn't take the artifacts John uses in the story. Wouldn't want him to be weak. 

*crack*

The last skeleton finally fell to my sword. Just like all the others, it only took a hit to completely destroy any of the parts I swung at. 

I was tired. Even sweat refused to pour down my body anymore, most likely because I was dehydrated. 

Everything was a blur. 

I stumbled on my way back home.

29