Chapter 59 – Dinner
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dignitas struggled to process Lorelai's words. She… wanted him to teach her the way of the sword?

That was the least shocking bit, too. Lorelai had always been infatuated with the bow, and never once entertained the idea of using a sword. 

"Did I hear that right? You want to learn swordsmanship?" 

"Yep! I want to try it." 

This was it! Even if Lorelai just wanted to "try", she would most likely realize her potential in just a few sessions. 

Dignitas wasn't one to not notice the change, however. Having known the story of The Academy's Regressor, and even personally authoring it, he knew that this change in Lorelai's behavior wouldn't have flown in the original story. 

"Another shift in the story. They're starting to pop up more recently, hmm." Dignitas murmured.

"Did you say something?" 

"No, nope. Anyway, are you sure about this? I'm not even a skilled swordsman. You'd be better off learning from more experienced warriors."

"That's fine. I just want to try it out."

"Alright, I guess. Here, take my sword."

Placing Dainsleif into its sheath, Dignitas handed the blade to Lorelai, who took it like she had just been bestowed a national treasure. 

"Don't cut yourself, else the wound won't heal." Dignitas warned her. 

"Is that the sword's power? All the wounds it causes stay there forever?" 

"Yeah. I cut myself quite a few times when I was first handling it, and it doesn't really look pretty." Dignitas said, showing Lorelai his scarred hands. 

Thanks to Professor Shib, all his wounds had been closed, but there were still scars of w̶a̶r̶ training left there. 

"Actually, better safe than sorry. Here, take this." 

Digging into his pockets, Dignitas brought out a pair of gloves. They looked to be a size too small for his hands. 

The gloves were elegantly designed, having the crest of the Academy dyed onto the blue material. They were a bit thicker than normal gloves, making them resemble mittens.

"I got this from the school, but it's a size too small and the color's a bit too bright for my taste. You can have it."

"Oh–uh, thanks…" Catching the gloves, Lorelai snuck her fingers inside. 

"Right. So now that we're ready, should we start? First, I'll need you to hold the sword in your preferred stance."

***

"She's got a lot of talent…I can see her being as good as John." 

The session went well. It was only half an hour, but Dignitas felt that they had learned an entire book's worth of techniques. 

In just a handful of minutes, Lorelai had already created her own unique way of wielding the sword. 

Even if Dignitas was being mentored by Sayuri, he was primarily self-trained and self-learned. Meaning most of his knowledge about sword fighting was cultivated through his own battles. 

Lorelai's way of wielding the sword was different from the norm. It wasn't like the strong, opportunistic strikes Dignitas used or the swift, elegant slashes that John utilized. 

No, it was completely distinct. Lorelai's attacks focused on getting the most out of Dainsleif's unique ability. 

That being, the power to inflict wounds that couldn't, and would never heal. 

Her slashes were fierce, almost beastlike. It was as if a lion had revealed its claws and just started swiping relentlessly at its prey. 

As Dignitas watched Lorelai endlessly slashing at thin air, he felt his lips curl up into a small grin.

"I wasn't wrong at all." 

But they were running out of time. They were still in the middle of an assignment, and they needed to finish it. 

"Okay, that's enough. We need to focus on our objective." Dignitas approached Lorelai. 

Lorelai was drenched with sweat. He feared that she would spend all of her energy on training in a weapon she wasn't even familiar with yet. 

"Mmm, already? I wanted to practice more."

"Has no one ever told you how you seemingly turn into a different person while training?"

"Sometimes. My mother told me that my face would glow with pride whenever I hit the bullseye during target practice."

"That's nice. I'm sure it happens a lot."

After resting for a bit, Lorelai and Dignitas continued on their way. 

Another hour had passed. And though it did take quite a bit, the duo were able to hunt enough animals and skin their hides. 

Once they had brought the hides back to Professor Shib, he began inspecting their catch. 

"Hmm. Good. You guys took a while, but good job."

The clock's hands began ticking faster. The moment the large hand had passed the minute mark, an alarm sounded on everyone's watches.

Words were displayed on the screen, indicating that the assignment, and class, was officially over. 

"Alright. Everyone head on back through the portal. Class is dismissed, and you guys are free to head back home for the day." Professor Shib announced.

"It's only the first day, so the Academy is letting everyone take it easy. Get used to your surroundings, guys. You'll be here for three whole years."

***

"Home… finally."

Dignitas sighed, kicking the door to his room backwards. He had just returned from school, and he was feeling very tired. 

"I wonder if fatigue counts as an excuse for missing class…"

"Ah, but I've got an appointment later. I wonder what time John will come?"

Dignitas stared at the watch on his wrist. The time was currently nearing midnight.

He hadn't had dinner yet, and his stomach was feeling wanting. 

"I guess I could ask John to come a little later? I need to grab a bite." 

____

Dignitas Qwerdan: Hey, John. 

John Ailey: Dignitas? Is that you?

Dignitas Qwerdan: Yeah. Good evening. How was school?"

 

John Ailey: Fun! Though I am sad that I wasn't able to slay the beast for myself. Was it you who defeated it?

Dignitas Qwerdan: Me? Nah. I was repairing my relationship with Lorelai the whole time. Supposedly Aiden Lullpos' partner did. That's what he told me, anyway. 

John Ailey: I see! He must be strong then. Anyway, what did you want to talk about?

Dignitas Qwerdan: About the training. Are you fine with pushing it to an hour or so after midnight? I still need to grab a bite first. Still haven't had dinner.

John Ailey: Oh, same. Why don't we go together? 

Dignitas Qwerdan: What, find a place to eat? Sure, why not.

John Ailey: Great, if it's fine with you though, can I bring Curie?

Dignitas Qwerdan: Sure. I hope I don't bore her though.

John Ailey: You won't! She's been wanting to talk to you for some time now.

Dignitas Qwerdan: I see. Well then, see you later.

John Ailey: Yup!

Dignitas Qwerdan's nickname has been changed to Dignitas.

____

Once the issue about the scheduled time had been settled, Dignitas got up and took a shower. 

And as soon as that was done, he dressed himself in some casual clothes that consisted of some simple jeans and a blank t-shirt. 

Of course, he didn't forget to take his trusty sword with him. 

With that, he was finally ready. Closing the door to his dorm room, Dignitas then continued on his way to the school district. 

***

Even at this time of hour, the streets were still very much populated. Students who sought to get away from the warm confines of their homes could be spotted strolling the district. 

Whether it be a simple night walk or something else, the roads and alleyways contained cadets.

"Brr… should've brought a coat."

Dignitas rubbed his hands together, trying to keep them warm. The cold night air had assaulted his body the moment he left the dorms, and didn't seem like it would relent any time soon. 

He felt that he would pass out from hypothermia at any moment. Continuing on, Dignitas dug into his pockets and brought out his phone. 

"Now where did John say we would meet… right, near the Colosseum."

Dignitas hastened his pace and made his way in the direction of the school's Colosseum. 

Thanks to the recent demon invasion, it had sustained quite a bit of damage. Some of its walls had crumbled thanks to the demon's attacks, making the whole area look older than it really was. 

The remains of the great battle were still very much present as well. The smell of blood was there, but much more subtle than it was on the day of the event. 

"There you are! Over here, Dignitas."

The sound of John calling out to him 9alerted Dignitas. Turning around, he spotted the ever-so dashing John Ailey. 

He happened to be wearing a rather oversized hoodie, one that had a golden skull with a pristine halberd behind it, the logo of the famous Ad Mortem guild on the front and back. 

And behind him, the figure of a small, white haired girl shrank in embarrassment. 

"Ah, right. John did say Curie was going to follow him." 

Waving back to John, he slowly approached him, before initiating a high-five. 

Dignitas tried to do the same to Curie, but she merely shook her head slowly. He was sure she didn't mean anything by it, anyway. 

"Hey there. It's good to see you two. How was the assignment?" 

"Great! Curie here was of great help to me. I don't think I would've been able to complete it without her help."

Without muttering a word, Dignita spotted Curie playfully hitting John on the back. She seemed to have been flustered by the comment. 

John merely laughed it off, though. 

"That's great. But let's save the talking for later. Do you guys have a place in mind? For, you know, food?"

"Oh, yes! Curie and I happened to find this one place in the southeast end of the school district. The reviews say they serve very nice international cuisine."

"Go on, then. Lead the way." Dignitas nodded.

Normally, Dignitas would've said no to the choice. Hell, he wouldn't have even entertained the idea of going out to eat in the first place if it wasn't for his honor student status. 

As one could imagine, this was another perk given to honor students. They could eat at any establishment in the school district, for no price. 

"Though I sometimes wonder if the amount of privileges are excessive." Dignitas thought.

It wasn't long before they finally arrived at the restaurant. Just from looking at it from the outside, Dignitas could tell how luxurious the place was. 

The walls were clearly made of a beautiful wooden material, particularly Himaran Oak, which was known for its flexibility and sturdiness when used in architecture. 

And the glass windows weren't anything cheap, either. Dignitas could feel that they were enhanced by some sort of spell, making them much tougher than normal glass.

Hell, he felt that even his strongest attack wouldn't be able to leave a mark on it. 

"Come on in! Curie said she would be treating us tonight." John was the first to enter. 

He called out to Dignitas, who was still standing outside and admiring the handiwork done on the structure. 

"Oh! Right. Well, there goes honor student privileges."

After a few minutes or so, the three of them had sat down. John and Curie were on one side of the table, while Dignitas sat alone on the other. 

John's eyes widened as he noticed Curie poking his shoulder. She beckoned John towards her with her hand. Then, she whispered something in his ear. 

"Curie says she's wanted to talk to you for a while now. She says she'd like for you to extend your hand, so that she can form a mental connection with the two of you."

"Oh. Well, that's fine." Dignitas replied, before stretching out his hand over the table. 

Dignitas knew Curie's powers. She was a Mental magic user, meaning her powers lied within the mind. 

The idea of her having a spell that allowed for telepathic communication wasn't too unbelievable. 

After stretching out his arm, Curie, too, reached her own hand out, and grabbed onto Dignitas' palm. 

A wave of unfamiliar energy suddenly came over Dignitas. Normally, he would've let go already, but this was Curie, so he just decided to put up with it. 

After a few seconds though, Curie finally let go of his wrist. 

"H…hi."

Dignitas was at a lost for words. He didn't believe it would have any effect on him, but experiencing it directly was truly something different. 

Curie's voice was known for being the closest to an angel. It was soft, almost melodic. It was the type of voice one would hear from a member of a choir. 

People who heard even a single word uttered from her mouth would usually find it hard to move. 

This combined with her inherent Mental magic, therefore amplifying the power of her "Angel Voice."

"Brr… I'm good. Hello, miss Mortem." 

Seeing as Dignitas, like the many other people who had heard Curie's voice, has turned into stone, John decided to bring him back by lightly tapping his shoulder. 

"Just Curie is fine. It's, um, nice to meet you."

"Likewise. I want to ask, though. What does the heir of the Mortem family want with someone like me?"

"You saved John's life, I heard from him. I wanted to thank you myself." She replied. 

"That so? But I've already received thanks from him." 

"I'd still like to reward you. As you… might've seen, my father's guild have had their eye on John for quite a while now. In exchange for providing him with the resources he needs to grow, they have set an "early-bird" mark on him."

Dignitas knew of the early-bird mark. It was well known among many guilds (especially famous ones) that they could not recruit any cadets from the Academy until they finished their studies there.

In fact, there were laws that had been created specifically to prevent the recruiting of young heroes. This was because the Association believed that students were still unwise, and could possibly wind up unhappy with the guild they chose later on.

Of course, there were exceptions in the student body. One being Wesker from John's party. Normally, the Academy wouldn't have allowed people over the age of twenty-three in. 

The Wesker household were able to get through this restriction by listing Ray Wesker as a guardian of Lorelai Seraph. 

"So that's why he's wearing that hoodie."

"Yes. But that's not what we're here to talk about. Ad Mortem very much appreciated your saving of John. And for that, they're willing to provide you with a contract."

 

1