Eclipse
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Steven awoke a few minutes before the morning announcements. He turned on the tv, and switched to the school channel. As it had been since the school year started, it had been playing the Magula High School informational video. Then suddenly, it changed to a girl with blonde hair and a microphone standing in a white room. “Hi, I’m Clara Clark. I am gonna be the school news person for the year! Strange abilities have been manifested in only 9th grade students during the school year. Me and a few other students have decided to call these abilities…” A drum roll started playing, and Steven reeled towards the screen. ”SIGNATURES!” “Kind of a weird name,” Steven thought to himself. “My signature allows me to see what other people’s signatures are! Pretty useful in my position” She continued. “I’ve named my signature ‘Clarity!’ If you see me around, and you're unsure of your signature, you can ask me to use Clarity to figure it out for you. Just yesterday I had an encounter with someone who had a truly wonderful signature. They have sent a video for me to play...now!” The screen switched to a view of a girl whose face was blurred out and had gloves on. “Hello,” the girl’s voice said, with a voice changer on. “After school, if you have any pains, come to the hole next to the cafeteria.” Steven knew what she was talking about. “Oh yeah, I kind of remember...though, we didn’t really go because it seemed creepy,” Steven said to himself. The scene switched back to Clara. “Well, students of Magula, I hope we all can have a great year. And remember...IMPROVISE, OVERCOME, AND ADAPT...wait is this live? I think I messed that u-” and the announcement ended, and it started playing the school informational video again. “What a video…” He said, before getting ready for school.

Period 4, Journalism

The day was mildly uneventful for Steven. However, the same could not be said about his friends. Marty ran into class, rushing as he always did. “Sup Iris. Sup Steven.” He looked at a girl who was sitting in the back row of the class. “Woah woah holy hell! That jacket though!” He exclaimed, before making his way to the girl. She had long black hair with white tips at the end. She was wearing a black leather jacket. Marty went up to her, took out his wallet, and got on his knees. He begged her, “Please please PLEASE! Let me buy that jacket. The leather...the way it shines...it’s beautiful. I’ll buy it for $600. I know it seems weird for a guy asking a girl for her jacket, but I’m sure it’d fit. It’d have to after all! Just please let me have it, I need it!!!” The girl grimaced. “Ew, what the hell are you doing?” She took off the jacket and held it out for him. “Here take it! Just leave me the hell alone you damn creep!” Marty began to rub and sniff the jacket. “The aroma of this leather is like a barbeque on the beachside with a hot girl whispering in my ear ‘I love you Marty…’ ooo what a fantastic feeling this is.” The girl got up and punched him in the face. She said to him, “Get out of my face, damn son of a bitch!” “A little deserved,” Steven said. “How could I resist myself though,” Marty said, sitting back in his seat. “I mean, just look at this jacket. It’s so damn good!” Iris turned her head at the jacket. “Is it really? I mean, it just looks like any other jacket.” Marty pushed his hand out, blocking the jacket from her. “I wouldn’t expect someone like you to understand.” Then, a girl with blonde hair came into the room. It was Clara. “Yo, isn't that the girl from the morning announcements?” Marty asked. “Yeah it is,” Iris told him, “I never noticed her before.” Behind her followed a familiar green haired boy. “Seven? You’re in this class?” Steven asked. Seven explained, “Yeah yeah, my schedule got completely switched up yesterday. I had just moved to this state from Georgia, and apparently they didn’t have information on my grades so they put me in regular classes. But uh...they found out and here I am.” “Well now we have a period with you, pretty nice,” Iris said. They talked a bit, and joked around about Marty’s new jacket. Then the conversation switched over to their signatures. “Have any of you guys named your signatures?” Iris asked. “I named mine Slide Zone.” Marty thought, “Well to be honest, no. I thought it was just like ‘Hey you’ve got a signature.’ But umm...Lose Yourself. Yeah, Lose Yourself. Sounds pretty uh cool. Yeah yeah.” “Well to be honest, I haven’t really thought of one,” said Steven, “Seven, I believe that you have a signature just like us. Go ask that Clara girl to use her signature for you. I’m dying to know what it is.” Seven said, “Alright, I’ll give it a shot.” He walked over to the girl, and said “Hey, you’re Clara Clark from the morning announcements right? Can you use your signature on me?” Clara responded to him “Sure!” She then stared at him, with her pupils turning from a vibrant blue to a ghastly white. Then, it reverted back to its original color. Your signature gives you increased luck.” Seven thanked her, and went back to tell his friends. “Hmm luck, isn’t that really powerful?” Iris asked. “Alright then, I wanna test out your signature. Let’s play a game.” Marty challenged, “It’s called shadow boxing. Pretty much, one person points in a direction and the other person randomly picks a direction to look in at the same time. If you look in the direction that I picked, you lose and vice versa. We then switch roles. Simple enough.” “I think I’ve heard of that actually,” Seven said. They both stood up, and Marty said “I’ll go first since I’m not the one with the luck cheat on.” Marty pointed upwards, and Seven looked to the left. “Not bad, number boy, but let’s not get too HASTY-” Seven pointed down and Marty looked down. “I guess I’ve lost...best of 15.” “Best of 15 we don’t have all day.” Steven told him. “Shh Steven, it’s thursday which may as well be friday which rounds up to saturday.” “What kind of logic…” Iris said. “Don’t question it. Now back to us Seven.” They both started rhythmically rubbing their hands. Marty pointed left and Seven looked right. Seven pointed up and Marty looked up. This happened until Marty lost, 8-0. “God damn…” Steven said. “What a power,” Seven said, looking at his hands in astonishment. “It can prove quite wonderful. I’ll name it Wonderwall.

Afterschool

“So Steven, you still haven’t named your signature yet. It’s very very important,” said Iris, with her and her friends in Mr. Noronake’s room. She seemed excited about this. “Well I’d ask you why it’s important, but I don’t want to spoil your fun. I still just can’t think of one,” said Steven. Seven responded, seeming just as, if not more, excited as Iris, “Oh I know, we’ll use a random superpower name generator on the internet!” Marty winced, “That word ‘random’ still reminds me of our game earlier today. Damn you Seven.” Steven sighed, “Well if I use a random generator there’s no soul to it, you know. Part of the importance of the name would be the user of the signature coming up with it themselves, no?” Iris nodded intently, “Mhm. Mhm. Let’s see then... perhaps think of something cool. Like an explosion or a bullet. Oh yeah yeah, those are cool.” Steven kissed his teeth in frustration. “Forget about it then, I’ll name it School Almanac!” “No no no,” Iris told him. “Name it something more original!” “Ok!” Said Steven. “Let’s just say uhh ok!!!! The Book Of Information About School People That Happen To Share The Same Grade As Me.”

“Jeez guy,” said Marty. “Alright if you’re really out of ideas, why don’t you-” But before he could finish his sentence, he looked around himself. “You guys, is it just me or is it getting dark? It’s like 4 PM.” Marty was right, the sunlight that used to fill the room was quickly dissipating. “Thought it was just me. We’re having a solar eclipse, I can see the moon covering the sun with my signature,” Iris told him. Marty perked up, “Solar eclipse, so those are real???” Iris didn’t even entertain that question. “Hmm, that’s a little weird. I didn’t see any predictions for this eclipse,” Seven thought aloud. “But wow,” He opened the window, sitting on the edge of it and getting excited, “I’ve never actually seen a solar eclipse in person before. Oh what a lucky day…” The four friends had gone up to the window to watch the event with their own eyes. Seeing the sun blocked by the moon had struck a chord with Steven. As the event ended, they quickly looked away to stop their eyes from being seared by the sun. “What an event. That was fantastic,” Iris said. “Yeah…” Steven said, “That’s what I’m gonna name my signature...Eclipse.

0