Chapter 24: Aftermath
51 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Marie*

 

"Just take your siblings to the yard to play, goose. I'll be home soon, I don't want you watching tv right now." Our eldest child stated her understanding and promised to do as she was told. "I love you, bye." 

 

I looked back at the television and saw a tear rolling down Zet's cheek as she watched the bone dragon vaporize everything in its path. My heart broke watching her, she was no doubt blaming herself for her friend's death. She suddenly turned and charged at the enemies blocking her from the Game Master. Her face was twisted with rage and it was a wonder that they didn't all run from her as she ran through the aftermath of the two dragons she has just summoned. 

 

"You son of a bitch!" She screamed as she charged into his guards and immediately began cutting them down. I could feel my nails biting deep into my palms as she began her final fight…

 

*Eire*

Eire was walking through the empty streets, heading to the next hideout where she had several children and caretakers hiding. She hadn't been able to sleep after Zet's request for aid so she was making the rounds on her wards. She felt something brush against her leg and spun around, flames engulfing her hands in preparation of a fight. But the street was empty, she looked around her and found no one. She checked her pockets but found nothing missing, only a small coin swirling with rainbow colored sparkles had been added. 

 

*Marie*

 

I felt my stomach drop out from under me when the Game Master cut through Zet's hand. Her face was frozen in place, as if she couldn't comprehend what had happened. I stroked her cheek as I cried, my mind raced knowing this wouldn't end happy. I was too afraid to follow the banter and everything seemed surreal as she fought for her life and lost her leg to some kind of giant. I prayed over and over like a mantra that she would run. That she would flee from the fight but could only watch as she ran on an ice path through the sky and fell on the Game Master, impaling him. When he knocked her down and shattered her leg, I pressed my forehead to hers and began bawling. I couldn't watch her die, I couldn't accept it. It had to be a bad dream! I couldn't, I can't, how could I….

 

Zet's voice, clear but weak cut through my thoughts. "Marie. If the kids can see me, don't let them watch. I fucked up hun. I….got them killed. I failed to end this. I...I know I said, that I promised, I would get back to you but I think I won't be able to keep it." I could only listen in horror to what I knew she wanted her last words to be. "Saving you is the one right thing I did, the one good choice since I got in here. I love you Marie and I want you to tell the kids I love them too, I always will…. Thank you for the life you made with me, it was more than  I'd ever hoped for. I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you. 831, I love you….."

 

I pressed my head back against hers, "I love you too. 831, my Zetsumei…." 

 

I squeezed her hand as the tears flowed. I forced myself to watch her final moments, I wanted to look away but I couldn't leave her alone. Zet made a final stab at the Game Master but her hand was caught and his blade flashed at her head. At the last moment he twisted the blade and struck her with the flat side and she crumpled to the ground, seemingly unconscious.

 

My grip on her hand tightened. The Game Master looked up, as if looking right at me and smiled. "I wouldn't kill our intrepid young hero in such a boring fashion. She's far too annoying. So lets make this fun. In 1 week, game time, she will be executed. Until then, I will have some fun with her every day as I feel like it. So that she can learn her place. You all now have a quest with where she'll be kept. I look forward to the rescue efforts and do hope some of you give me a proper challenge."

 

With that he turned and walked through a portal as Zet was dragged behind him. I barely noticed however for the moment I had seen she was still alive, I'd begun putting my helmet on and was desperately trying to launch the game. I kept getting an error message that I was locked out. Tearing my helmet off I ran back to Zet and kissed her hand repeatedly while ugly crying. I would run back into that burning building in a heartbeat to try and save her, but the choice was made for me…

 

*Eire*

 

Eire stared at where the screen had been. The Game Master had broadcast it server wide and delivered his challenge, Zet was alive but captured. She looked at the coin in her hand and read its description again. Single Use. Instant Cast. Summons a great champion to your safe house.

 

She closed her eyes, time to repay the debt… Focusing on Zetsumei's appearance and name  she crushed the coin in her hand. She didn't know how. But she knew it worked and took off running for her safe house. Not doubting that Zetsumei would need healing.

 

*Marie* 

 

I was still squeezing her hand when I heard a beep behind me. I looked back and saw my helmet confirming a load in for the game. The door opened at the same time as nurses came in to check Zet's vitals, they must have been watching the feed and seen what had happened. One nurse was frozen and staring at my helmet. We both ran for it at the same time, I threw my shoulder into her chest and jumped back with my prize. I slammed the helmet on my head as the other nurses suddenly realized what I was doing and ran at me with various cries of 'stop'. It never occurred to me to sit before I hit the launch button and my vision faded. I awoke in a familiar room now damaged with streaks of frost...

0