10._ The key to the Heart of Chains (1/2)
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The earth swallowed her up completely in the blink of an eye. Then it was all darkness and jerky movements. She wondered if she might die from the pressure below, or if the particles of earth swirling around her would tear her skin off, but none of this happened.

Suddenly she stopped and fell. She braced herself with her forearms on sandy soil.

For a moment she thought there was a mistake, that she was still in her world, but then she noticed the strange purple color of the sand. She raised her head, confused. It was dark all around, she was in a cave.

Despite the darkness, she could see, for several clusters of crystals shone brightly and gave sufficient visibility to the purple tunnels. The place would have been very quiet, had it not been for a wide swirl of earth and sand spiraling on the floor. Erica stared at it for a while, before realizing that it was the bridge that connected that world with her own. She was on the other side, in the world of Tur and the rest of the nonis, in Nudo.

She let that sink in.

 

She stood for a moment where she had fallen, resting from the race. When she felt ready, she stood up and started walking down the only tunnel in the subway room, but before she had gone very far, she noticed that something was burrowing into a wall: it was something similar to a spider, but about a meter tall, with ten legs with sharp points and green slime dripping from its fangs. It was scratching at the wall angrily, as if looking for something, but as it got closer, the spider turned towards her and attacked.

Erica slapped it away and stomped on it hard, making it explode and spilling its guts all over the place. She turned to continue on her way, when she noticed the hole in the wall where the spider had been digging. Curious, she peeked out to see, when suddenly a small white head emerged; it was an animal, a kind of small, long mammal like a snake, with short legs, white fur and two big blue eyes. They stared at each other for a long time, until the little animal seemed to realize that it was no longer in danger. Puzzled, it looked in all directions, jumped out of the hole into the tunnel, approached the spider and sniffed it all over. He turned to Erica one last time, and to her surprise, gave a nod of his head as if expressing gratitude. The girl fell silent. The little animal went the other way and disappeared into the darkness.

—Did he realize that I saved him?— the girl wondered.

In her world such a thing would be impossible, but she was no longer in her world, but in Nudo. Maybe there were intelligent animals there. She was curious, but it didn't seem that following the animal was an option.

Without further detours, she continued on her journey. She walked for a long stretch that sometimes went uphill, sometimes downhill or split into several paths. As she began to get bored, distant noises caught her attention.

Curious, she followed them down another long path, until in one of the tunnels she came across a couple; a noni in a light dress and a middle-aged man in a suit that looked elegant, but not one that Erica had seen before. She could tell he was from a different culture, one she had not seemed before. To her surprise, they were both smiling warmly at her.

—United by chains— they said in chorus.

This surprised her, but even more so when the man and the noni stared at her for a second, as if waiting for an answer. When they did not receive it, they left. Erica was very confused, but in the end decided to follow them. Maybe they could tell her how to find her father.

Suddenly, a little further on, the tunnel opened up into a huge chamber full of people. The sudden change made her stop for a moment to stare at the room ahead. It was so large that she could not see the walls on the other side, nor the rocky sky, although it was well lit with lamps and spotlights. The dozens of people in front of the girl were all dressed smartly, happy and talking cheerfully among themselves. Many looked excited, although the girl did not know why. There were of various species, not only humans and noni; there were also some lanky ones, others who constantly secreted slime from their bodies, others thin ones with bluish or violet skin, people with wings instead of arms and feathers instead of hair, and many more. Soon Erica stopped noticing their differences, for in that instance it didn't matter. They could all talk and think, that was enough for her. Also, for some reason, they all had masks that didn't do a good job of covering their faces. So they looked like a secret club or something.

Soon she noticed that people were stretching their arms toward a raised platform, a stage on top of a larger one, on top of an even larger one. On top of the first two platforms there were people dancing and throwing chants and flares. At the end of it all, at the highest point stood a man. He was a knight covered in white armor from head to toe. Just by a single glance, Erica recognized him; he was the same guy she had seen in the dream she had had the night her father left, but what was he doing there?

Next to him was a woman also dressed in white, with a long dress and a veil that made her look something between a bride and a priestess. Both were waving their arms, waving to the people who praised them so highly. Looking for some context, Erica concentrated on listening to the conversation between two women beside her.

—I can't believe he's back!— commented one —It's really him!

—I know. Isn't it a miracle?

—Many said he had left us, but Miss Alba said he hadn't. I told you she was right!

—Hehe. Yes, I know. Believe me I know.

But suddenly everyone in the room fell silent. When Erica looked again at the knight and the priestess, she noticed that the latter was adjusting a device similar to a microphone.

—What a joy, isn't it?— she said, her voice heard by everyone present —I thought you would enjoy this little reunion after so many years. I know that many are missing, but they will be back, I assure you. As soon as you know that your god, the Chainer, is back after so long, I take it for granted that we will return to the old numbers— the crowd erupted in cheers, but the woman quickly silenced them with hand gestures— Now then, as a surprise event, the Chainer wanted to bring a special person on stage. Who do you think they might be? I'll give you a hint: they’re someone very valuable to our cause.

With that, the audience erupted again, but this time all coming up with names that Erica didn't recognize or simply asking to be themselves.

—Do you think it's one of the rings?— asked one of the women whispering next to Erica.

—Of course! Who else could it be?

—And which one do you think will show up? Oh, I'd love to be able to see...

—Wait, wait!— the other woman cut her off —Look, they're bringing him!

Erica looked back at the stage and noticed that the white knight was holding a chain hanging from the sky. She didn't remember seeing it.

Then the man pulled the chain, and at that precise moment, the girl felt a strong tug on her ankle that caught her completely off guard. Unable to react, she fell and was dragged into a hole in the ground behind her. In an instant she was through the floor and straight down. For a few seconds she felt the air rush violently past her, fluttering her hair.

—I have to turn around— she thought.

But the jerk had been so sudden that she couldn't make it. Still, instead of crashing violently, someone gently caught her in his arms. Erica looked at him, and realized it was the knight in chains. Next to him, the white priestess was looking at her with a childish smile.

—What...

Before she let him speak, several chains appeared from nowhere around her, as if they had materialized from thin air, and they tightened their grip to keep her arms and legs immobile.

—Hey, what the...?

Then the knight released her, leaving Erica dangling from the chain hanging from the sky. From there she saw the rest of the room: it was the same where she had been before falling, all the people were there, also the platforms and the knight with the woman. She realized she had fell into the exact place, somehow. Then she looked up, but the chains were just lost in the darkness. She didn't understand what they had done, only that they had caught her too easily. She could not underestimate these people.

—Ladies and gentlemen— continued the priestess —We present to you the prophesied girl who will bring about the end of the universe, ERICA SANZ!

—What?— she exclaimed —WHAT?!

The crowd burst into cheers again, leaving the girl speechless, while hanging like an ornament. It took her several seconds to sort out her priorities. First, she had to break her chains, of course. So she harnessed all her strength in her arms and pulled and pulled, but try as she might, the golden chains would not break. Ropes and steel had never been able to restrain her, those golden chains had to be made of a very strong material.

Then she looked at the two people on the upper platform. They seemed to be the leaders.

—Hey, what the hell are you talking about?!— she protested —Who the hell are you? How do you know my name?!

The knight stared at her without saying anything, while the woman smiled from ear to ear, with that childish smile she had been wearing since she saw her.

—Erica Sanz, you talk as if you don't know anything about us— said the priestess —Didn't your father tell you about his old boss? Didn't he mention anything about his time in Nudo?

—Time at Nudo? Wait! You know my father?!

—Of course. Lucifer Sanz. He looks a lot like you.

Erica fell silent. She stayed like that for a long time. It was true, she had taken a lot of resemblance to her father.

—How... Who are you? Where do you know my dad from? Where is he?!

The woman and the knight looked at each other, as if they had been waiting for that moment.

In the meantime, the people below the stage moved quickly, and they installed armchairs and a small table in the space in front of the platforms. The knight took Erica in his arms, and together with the priestess, they jumped the great distance between the last platform and the circle of armchairs like nothing. Then they sat her down on one side and settled themselves on the other side. The people in masks stood around in formation. Everyone was suddenly very disciplined.

—My name is Alba— said the woman in white.

Upon closer inspection, and without the tension of hanging, Erica noticed that her skin was more than pale; it was completely white, like snow. Her clothes were the same color, almost blurring in some spots. Her hair and eyes, on the other hand, were the blackest black she had ever seen. Her expression was sharp and her features beautiful, as if a master craftsman had sculpted her.

She showed the people around her wearing masks.

—They are the chained ones

Finally she indicated the knight with an open hand.

—And he is the Chainer, our lord and master. He is the god who wields the chains of the worlds.

—The chains of the worlds— the girl repeated, puzzled— God?!

With what she had seen she already had an idea of what it was, but it was still confusing.

—Yes, like the one he used to connect the ground and the sky of this chamber a while ago— said Alba —or the one you used to come from your world to this place. Many people call them bridges, do you understand?

Erica was surprised, then stared at the Chainer, amazed.

—What do you mean, he wields them?— she asked —What do you mean by god?

Alba laughed lightly.

—Our lord is a god in the flesh, simple as that. He can make and break bridges as he pleases. That is the power of the Chainer.

—What, so you made the bridge where the nonis invaded my world?— figured the girl.

The knight nodded silently.

—The invasion of the nonis! The suffering of your people! The destruction of your old world as you knew it! It's all because of us! How's that? Doesn't it make you angry? I bet you're furious, I was told you were very irritable.

—Oh? No, I don't care— Erica corrected her.

This time it was Alba who was surprised.

—But... But it's your world, where you grew up, where all your friends are! Doesn't it make you angry that the nonis are razing it to the ground right now?!

—I don't care, I just want to find my dad! You know him, don't you? Do you know where he is?

Alba and the Chainer looked at each other. Erica didn't know what expression the knight had under his helmet, but Alba looked truly surprised. Then she put her hands to her head, trying to think of something.

—But don't you feel even a little bit of pity?— she insisted.

—No.

—What about the people? There must be thousands of innocent people who died or were enslaved! Don't you care about that either?

—No.

Alba gave a long sigh, giving up.

—Damn it, you were right— she snapped at the Chainer —What do we do now?

The gentleman took a long time to express himself, although he did not seem to think much about it.

—The key...— he said, in an inhuman voice. She didn't know why, but it sounded very familiar to Erica.

The priestess nodded.

—What key?— the girl asked.

Alba opened her mouth to answer, but stopped in thought.

—In the universe there are many worlds, all connected by bridges— she explained —this is called the Worlds’ Network. It may be something new to you, but for the vast majority of people it is general culture. What is not obvious, nor known to many, is that at the center of this web, the center of the universe, there is a special place called the Heart of the Great Chains. This heart is where all the chains and bridges emerge from. Not just anyone can get there, to do so requires a special key. This key was in my master's possession, but... well...

—Lucifer...— growled the Chainer.

—My dad— Erica wondered.

—Yes, Lucifer, an important member of our organization— the woman lamented, as if she missed him —some time ago he stole the key and locked himself in the Heart of the Great Chains. Unfortunately, we need to go there to carry out an important mission for which we have been preparing for many years, but without the key, it is impossible for us. That's where you come in.

—What? And what do I have to do with all this?

—You have a lot to do with it— Alba assured her —You see, we may no longer have possession of the key, but we can make another one, with the right materials. It's a very complex process and the raw materials are all difficult to obtain, but it's no use if we don't have the key component— Alba then pointed at her.

—Me?

—Yes, you. The key component is you... or at least, your genes.

—What?

—Divine powers are finicky, and rarely materialize completely in a single entity. My lord is the one who wields the chains, but there are certain individuals with a certain... affinity for containing that power. Your father had a very small part of the power of the chains, and whether consciously or unconsciously, he relinquished some of that power to you. The power you possess, Erica, is enough to create the keys that open the heart— Alba clasped her hands together— To help us in our mission, we will have to sacrifice you.

Erica opened her eyes wide in bewilderment. Then she frowned defiantly and stood up.

—And you think you can kill me?

She tried to free herself from the chains again, but they wouldn't budge.

—Oh, come on, Erica— Alba tried to calm her down —many would gladly give their lives for our lord.

—He's not MY lord! Fuck off!

1