46._ The Last Race to Ramnusia (1/2)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

They were about to reach the ruins of Ramnusia. After crossing all of Kervel, they had finally arrived.

However, they were hungry, tired and lacked many supplies, so they made a last stop in Krunvir, the closest town to the ruins: a small place in a basin between the great mountains, constantly plagued by the cold.

 

Erica looked at a display case with some distaste. On the other side of the glass were weapons, tents, gun batteries, shields, canteens and all sorts of survival items. There were even potions, just what she was looking for, only she hadn't expected them to be so expensive.

—Fifty fists for a potion?— she protested in her mind.

Fifty fists was enough to stay in a fancy hotel for several days or buy a used car. She thought she could easily steal the potion. After all, she was already a wanted criminal, but she didn't feel like doing that either. She didn't like people stealing from her.

So she went into the store, grabbed some three potions and took them to the counter, but didn't notice that the salesman was a human like her and not a noni. He stared at her, curious.

—Don't I know you from somewhere?— the guy asked.

Erica looked at him and shook her head, she had never seen him before in her life, but at that moment the salesman noticed her and jumped away, alarmed. Then, before the astonished gaze of the customers, he pointed at her and shouted at the top of his lungs.

—It's Erica! She's a dangerous terrorist!

Everyone in the room jumped in fright. Some customers left immediately, while other nonis, in their youth, tried their luck by beating up the dreaded criminal. She slapped them off and then turned to the vendor, but he had already left through the back door.

Then she looked at her potions, still unpurchased. She couldn't buy them if no one was selling them.

—But I need them!

She thought again of stealing them. There were so many, no one would blame the seller for saving his life instead of a few potions, no one would notice that she had taken a couple of small bottles, compared to the other crimes she was accused of...

But then she imagined what her friends would think seeing her with so many potions. Arturo would surely add two plus two in seconds and Liliana would definitely guess what had happened just by looking at her face. Resigned, she put down a wad of 15 bills of ten fists each and left with three of the eighty potions in the store.

She walked quickly down the sidewalk, covering herself as much as her hat would allow. She was looking at the ground, for Liliana had once told her that eye contact drew attention, so the less she looked at people, the less they would recognize her. However, as she was crossing the busiest street in the whole city, something caught her attention upstairs. As she looked up, she saw her face just as it was, looking up that same street.

—Shit!— she said.

She looked for the camera that had captured her. To her surprise, she found a flying drone hovering in front of her. Erica formed a harpoon of timitio, threw it hard and skewered it into the drone rather than let it flee, but as she looked up, she found her face again, this time from a different angle. She turned around to find twenty more drones, while another large number approached from the sky. She had been caught.

Immediately police and army patrols appeared in the streets. The officers pointed their guns at her, but Erica had no time for that. There were only a few kilometers left to the ruins, she couldn't think of giving up at that point, so she kicked a patrol car to send it flying and distract the nonis. She immediately started running in another direction.

 

Inside the ship, Arturo was reading a book about the ruins of Ramnusia. Some useful information came out, such as that it was covered in snow and that the area usually had a lot of fog and occasional blizzards, but most of the information was garbage and reading it only wasted his time. Meanwhile, Liliana looked in the mirror; she was thinner than ever. The constant exercise had given her a slightly slimmer figure, although given a choice, she would prefer to live in a quiet world where she didn't have to face monsters every other day. She still had a few scrapes from when they wandered into the source of timitio. Traveling while worrying about her image was an odyssey, but even with all they had been through, she didn't think she looked bad. Finally, Brontes' fang mark stood out on her chest. She wondered what her parents and Arturo's mom would say when they saw her like that.

Then she looked at the boy, she noticed him fighting in his mind with the author of the tourist book. "Jerks, they're all jerks," he must have been thinking. Next she got dressed again and went to the bookshelf to grab a book herself, about the history of Kervel, which she had been reading lately. It was very interesting, for although the nonis were as intelligent as the "humas", their predilection for strength inclined them to ways of behaving that took Liliana completely by surprise.

Before reaching it, however, the ship the alarm went off. Arturo, startled, stood up to see what it was all about, while Liliana watched from where she was. Soon, a screen with Erica's face appeared on the side of the windshield, reading "Dangerous terrorist sighted in the center of Krunvir".

They showed a live video of Erica sliding through the streets at full speed. Quickly Arturo looked up the city map on the ship's computer, scanned Erica's location, her speed, and then the ship's location. He made some quick mental calculations, and after a hasty decision, he activated the engines.

—What are you going to do?

—We'll have to leave right away!— he said.

—What about Erica?

—We're gonna pick her up.

 

It seemed to her that she had left the policemen behind, but she couldn't stop to rest. As they had shown her location on the news, Tur would surely see her and prepare his troops to receive her with all his defenses.

Suddenly a flying ship stopped in front of her; Tur's ship. A side door opened, from the other side Liliana appeared, beckoning her to approach. Erica took a huge leap, grabbed the lower edges of the door and rushed in. Liliana closed behind her.

—I'm sorry, I've been discovered— she said when she saw her friends.

Arturo was watching the road, in the pilot's seat, while Liliana checked the news.

—It's all right. It's surprising it took them so long— Liliana downplayed it.

—Grab on to something!— warned the mage.

Both girls looked for the closest thing they could grab, while the ship turned sharply to head east at full speed. They almost collided with other ships, but those stepped aside to let them pass. They streaked through the city like a comet, dodging obstacles left and right.

For a moment it seemed to them that no one was following, they thought they could get out of Krunvir without a fight, but suddenly six police ships emerged from behind a building, swooping down on them. Arturo had the reflex to slow down, but Erica wasn't about to stop for them, so she shot at them with the ship's laser beams.

—Keep going!— she shouted.

Arturo accelerated to full throttle. The ship took off again at full speed, dodging the warning shots from the police ships.

—Erica, get them off us! Lili, tell me where to go!

—Understood!

Erica readied the robotic arms on the outside of the ship to fire at the pursuing ships, while Liliana moved the map out of Arturo's sight and checked the route they had chosen. As expected, there was a roadblock ahead.

—They have a blockade. Go up— said Liliana.

—We would be an easy target— explained Arturo.

Liliana quickly looked for a street parallel to the blockade. Some others were also surrounded. Krunvir was a small city and there were not many options, but also, there were few policemen.

—We'll have to go south and go around the blockade— said the girl.

—Good.

They quickly turned, slowed down and hid between two large buildings. Then they continued through streets with little traffic to where Liliana indicated. All the time she was checking the news. Suddenly, to their relief, they announced that they had lost sight of them.

0