52._ Bound by Chains (2/3)
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

After eating and relaxing, the children entertained themselves by introducing Erica to both families and telling her story. It took them a lot of time to explain what it was and how timitio, magic and munimas worked, and even then, the adults didn't understand half of it.

Arturo's little brothers were very curious and close. The eldest, Lautaro, was unruly and defiant, while the youngest, Altiro, was shy and quiet.

Liatris didn't look much like Liliana, except for her large, mesmerizing eyes. She was more aggressive and bold in the way she expressed herself, and according to Arturo, just as adept at manipulating people. It wasn't hard for Erica to imagine, since Liatris was so charismatic and it was hard to take her eyes off her. It was as if Liliana had grown up rebellious instead of being a good girl.

They played and talked for a long time. Suddenly a soldier came in and stood next to Erica. It was one of the nonis who had been assigned to attend them.

—Miss— called the noni— the director is looking for you.

—The director?!— yelled the girl— The school’s director?! What the hell is that old man doing...?!

—No, Erica. He's the director of the United Nations— corrected Liliana.

—Ah... What?

—Ah, yes, we forgot to tell you— said Arturo— besides us, we are with the leaders of the eight most powerful nations in the world... or the ones that were the most powerful before the invasion. They were hostages until we won the fight.

—Tur was going to execute them, don’t you remember?— Liliana told her.

Erica looked at the noni, confused.

— And you say the director is looking for me?

—That's right, miss.

—Ok.

Erica stood up, followed by her friends. The three of them left the room and went where the soldier led them, to a small meeting room, one that had not received as much damage as the rest of the place. Waiting for them were eight old people in wrinkled, stained and torn suits. It was obvious that they did not have many changes of clothes on hand.

As the children entered, the elders approached them and greeted them one by one with smiles and gentle handshakes, especially Erica, whom they looked at as if she was a religious icon. Then one of them, a skinny and completely bald one, invited them to sit on some armchairs and sat down across from them, with the rest of the elders standing behind him, although there was room for everyone.

—It is an honor to finally meet you, Miss Sanz— said the bald man.

—Ah... hello— she replied awkwardly.

—I am the director of the United Nations, Bernard Labadie. On behalf of humanity, I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking back our world. Erica, Liliana, Arturo, you three are our heroes. I assure you that your names will go down in history.

The children were silent, not knowing what to say, but they did not need to do anything. Suddenly one of the old men began to clap his hands, slowly, alone. Soon he was joined by another one, and another, and suddenly everyone was clapping loudly, even the director. Erica looked at her friends, surprised, who smiled at the ovation. After several seconds, the applause stopped.

—We thought of this meeting to get to know you, and also to plan for the future.

—The future?— Erica wondered.

—Yes, you see. We've discussed it a lot among ourselves— the director waved his hand broadly, showing the other leaders— and we'd like to ask the three of you to agree to be Mother's champions. Before the invasion, people could live peacefully, but now we know that there are other worlds with greater military might and technology that surpasses us by at least a thousand years. After the troops of the First withdraw, we will need to rebuild Mother and reinforce it. We must learn quickly about these advanced technologies to imitate them, much of our defenses will be based on that, but we will also need the three of you for when our basic military strength is not enough. We need you to be Mother's champions.

—Champions?— Arturo repeated, surprised.

—It is true that your work will consist essentially of military defense of this world, but you must not forget that the people have suffered countless atrocities since the invasion. In your fight with the First you not only won Mother back, but you did it while the whole world was watching. People know it is you three. Seeing you become important and active figures in Mother's defense will give them hope. So, as champions, everyone will celebrate you.

—Celebrate?— mused Liliana.

—Of course, your labors will be justly rewarded— intervened a tall, pot-bellied man with a bushy mustache— You will never again have to worry about work or studies, the states of the world will support you and grant you a life full of luxuries in exchange for your services.

—So what do you say?— asked the director— We know it is quite a lot, and perhaps you do not want so much responsibility, but it is extremely important for the reconstruction of Mother. Please keep it in mind.

When they finished, the world leaders stared at the children expectantly. Erica sighed, somewhat jaded.

—No...— she said at last.

—Wha... What?— pleaded the director.

—I don't want to do it. I have more important things to worry about, I don't have time to play heroine.

—But... But this is very important! What could be even bigger than this?!— protested the director.

—I'm looking for my dad— stated Erica.

—Ah, but that will be easy! I assure you that recovery efforts are one of our priorities.

—No, my dad wasn't taken by the nonis— she ran a hand through her hair, she didn't feel like explaining the whole story to him— Look, it's complicated, but I can't stay here for long.

—What about MY idea?— asked a loud voice from the other side of the room.

Everyone turned around in surprise. Then, from a corner, Tur himself approached them with a slow step and a good-natured walk. With all the comfort in the world, he sat down in a single armchair, next to the children.

Erica examined him; he had several patches and bandages all over his body, from their fight. When she saw him she tensed her whole body, but after noticing him so relaxed and hurt, she realized that they were not going to face him again, not on that occasion. Tur looked back at her.

—They told me you woke up. How are you feeling, princess?

—I’m... fine... You?

—My body hurts, but my ego more so. Still, I'm glad we fought. You three weren’t bad.

Erica smiled and nodded.

—What did you mean by your idea?— asked Arturo.

Tur grimaced uncomfortably.

—I lost the ring the Chainer gave me— he said— this is not only a serious offense, it's a betrayal. I don't think he wants my head, but I doubt I'll ever be invited back for tea.

—Ah, yes, that makes sense— agreed Erica.

—So you're no longer involved with the chained ones?— asked Arturo.

—I don't think we'll break up overnight— commented the noni— but technically I'm not a chained one anymore. I have come to propose a deal to Mother's champions.

The three children frowned tensely.

—Another bet?— Erica pleaded.

—No, no, not a bet. A deal— Tur insisted— Tell me, you guys are planning to take on the Chainer, aren't you?

The three of them nodded.

—And for that you are going to take the other rings?

The three nodded again.

—Yes, you won't make it. Don't even try.

—And why should we listen to you?— Erica argued.

—Because I'm telling you the truth. Do you think that just because you beat me you're going to force the other rings as well? Don't be delusional. I'm far from being the strongest of the seven, let alone being able to touch the Chainer.

—So what do you want us to do, then?— asked Erica.

—You three need much more power to face the rings, even three against one as you did with me. Luckily, you three have a lot of potential. For that you guys need to train and strengthen your skills. That's where I come in. How about I use my vast resources and guide you to where you can hone your skills?

—So my timitio will evolve into a nomitio?— asked Erica.

—I can't promise, but that's the idea.

—And I'll learn about magic?— asked Arturo.

—Of course.

—Can you take me to the ghosts?— Liliana inquired.

—More or less, that's a little more difficult, but I can tell you where to go to find them.

The three children looked at each other.

—Sounds too good for us— said Liliana— Where's the catch?

Tur smiled mischievously.

—The three of you must serve me during the conquest of a world of my choosing, in the not too distant future.

—No way!— exclaimed Liliana.

Her friends looked at her and crossed their arms.

—If Lili says no, neither will we— Erica stated.

Arturo snorted through his nose.

—Come on, I'll conquer worlds no matter what, it's what I do— said Tur.

—No way! We won't help you make more people suffer— Liliana complained.

—Yes, what nerve!— yelled Erica.

Arturo snorted through his nose again.

Tur put his fingers to his temples, tired.

—All right, all right, all right, how about defending my citizens? We're not the only empire in the web of worlds, after all.

Liliana looked at him skeptically.

—Of your citizens, not your territory. Don't try loopholes either, we'll simply void the deal. It will have to be a previously discussed mission in which all three of us agree to participate and for which you give us all relevant information before accepting.

—Gosh, how demanding!— pleaded the First— Fine, as you wish.

Liliana nodded in agreement. She stood up to shake Tur's hand, but then Director Labadie stepped in.

—Wait, wait a minute! Could we talk about this first? What are we going to do in Mother if our champions leave to train in Nudo? When will they be back?

—Oh, that's right!— Liliana lamented.

Arturo scratched his head.

—I wouldn't want to leave Mother alone either— he said.

—All of Mother's current bridges to the web of worlds pass through Noni Empire territory— indicated Tur —If we enter into a trade treaty and agree to protective service, the Empire can dispatch military companies to keep the world safe while its champions are away. These forces can consist exclusively of humans, if they think Mother's people will be uncomfortable with nonis still walking the streets.

—Really?!— exclaimed the director— This is all very sudden.

—Don't worry, director. We'll let our representatives take care of the details— said Tur— but no doubt these measures will allow the three champions to be trained in Nudo.

Director Labadie pondered for a moment.

—They will have to report at least once a month and when emergencies arise— he said— other than that... I think we're fine.

He looked at the other world leaders for any naysayers, but none of them felt they were in a position to weigh in.

—Not so fast, old man! Count me out— Erica pleaded.

Everyone looked at her, the leaders looked surprised.

—But... but Miss Sanz, this is your world!— said the director.

—A world that treated me like shit all my life— she protested— Why should I protect it?

The director turned to Liliana, asking her with his eyes to negotiate with her friend, but she refused.

—I'm not going to force Erica to do something she doesn't want to do— she said.

—Although we can't ignore the fact that we will be compensated for the work— said Arturo.

—Oh, that's right— said Erica.

—Generously!— assured Director Labadie.

Erica scratched her head.

—All right, but I won't play nice just because I have a contract with the world. If anyone tries to harm me, I will destroy them, understand?

Director Labadie turned pale. He hadn't expected that answer.

—If you feel the need to kill someone, I will stop you— Liliana told her.

—And me— said Arturo— and then we will destroy the person who tries to hurt you, without killing them.

—Yes, we don't want you to kill anyone, but we don't want anything to happen to you either— assured Liliana.

—Oh, you guys!

Erica hugged Arturo, who was next to her. Labadie looked at Liliana still a little confused. He asked her if they were all right and Liliana smiled to let him know that everything was fine.

—Well, well, then... we accept your joint conditions— he said— but please, try not to kill anyone. Someone with your strength...

He couldn't finish, but it didn't matter, it was fine with Erica. Liliana extended her hand to Tur again, but then Arturo stopped her with a gesture.

—What's in it for you?— he pleaded— Surely there are plenty of people in your empire who are very capable of protecting your citizens and conquering worlds. You don't need three teenagers with little experience.

Tur laughed.

—Good point, kid. I'm really doing it for the ring Erica took from me.

—Huh? Why?— she pleaded.

—What? Did you think I only had it as a club membership?— he pleaded— My ring has great power; with it you can travel between worlds.

Everyone in the room's mouths dropped open.

—What?!— they shouted.

Tur shrugged his shoulders.

—How did you think I conquered worlds? Erica, you saw the palace I brought from Noradima yourself. You think I put it over a little bridge the size of a horn? Ha!

Erica looked at her hands, puzzled.

—It can't be!— she exclaimed— So now, I...?

—You have that power— Tur nodded— though it's not as easy as snapping your fingers and making a bridge appear to take you to another world. You have to have been to the place inside the world you want to go to, and if you use the power, you'll need several days to recover.

—OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh!— shouted the brika.

—Then you need that power to continue conquering— deduced Arturo.

—Yes, but Miss Party Pooper prefers something more peaceful— Tur pretended to vomit— although it has restrictions, the power of the ring can work very well for transporting large numbers. It is excellent for ambushing enemy troops or retreating if there are heavy casualties. Also, other rings have different powers. If you take away their powers like you did with me, I'll have some very powerful soldiers.

—Mmmm, I see— said Arturo— very well, I'll join in.

Liliana looked around in case someone else wanted to interrupt them. At last they all agreed, so she stretched out her hand and Tur shook it confidently.

—It’s a deal!— they both said.

 

It all seemed great, getting paid for doing nothing productive. Erica was happy with the deal. However, a couple of days later, Director Labadie managed to organize an event, the first after the defeat of the nonis, to decorate the heroes who had won the victory and to assure Mother's population that from that moment on they were free.

She was taken to a room, where two women put her in an elegant dress and applied her makeup. The process of getting ready did not seem very pleasant, but she was surprised to look in the mirror and behold the prettiest version of herself she had seen so far. With the lack of a mother throughout her life, and not having much interest in the subject, she had never learned how to apply makeup properly. The few times she had tried, she had only managed to look like a tragic clown, but at that moment she felt beautiful.

Then she went to the second floor, where she met Liliana and Arturo, also dressed up in a pompous dress and a straight, elegant suit. The director had told them that in the future they would have uniforms that only the three of them would wear, distinguishing them as Mother's champions, but that for the moment they had no resources or time to make something, and they had put what little they had on hand.

When it was time, the three of them walked to the entrance of the palace and climbed onto a large stage for events. There the leaders of the world were waiting for them, with Director Labadie in the center and Tur next to him, also in formal attire. In front of them, behind security bars and a dense line of human soldiers, covering much of the gardens, stood a crowd of more than a thousand.

The bald headmaster began to speak. He gave a short speech recalling the tragic events since the invasion and ended on a cheerful note, introducing "the heroes who saved Mother." He then passed the microphone to them to introduce themselves, starting with Liliana. She gave her name and age, and the crowd erupted in cheers. She then passed the microphone to Arturo, who did the same. The audience responded in the same way. Finally it was Erica's turn, who put the microphone to her mouth. For a few seconds she was speechless, not knowing what to say. She looked at all those people smiling at her, but it didn't feel good, she disliked it.

—What...— she started— What do you think, you people? Do you think we all want the same thing here? Do you think I'm glad you're doing well?

Her words caused confusion. The director panicked and tried to take possession of the microphone, but Erica kept him away. Her friends and Tur did nothing, used to the girl's attitude.

—Lili and Arturo— she pointed at them— are the real heroes, they really wanted to rid the world of the nonis. I don't give a flying fuck about Mother. I don't care if you die or not.

Only then did she approach the microphone to the director, who stretched out his hands eagerly to take it, but at the last second Erica regretted it and brought it back to him.

—My name is Erica Sanz, I'm nineteen and I don't tolerate mistreatment.

Again she handed the microphone to the director. He made sure to take it before Erica changed her mind again. Concerned, he tried to say something to appease the girl's harsh words, but before he opened his mouth, the crowd began to applaud and praise her. Soon the shouts and screams turned into a standing ovation cheering Erica's name.

—What's wrong with them?— the brika demanded.

—I think they like your sincerity— Liliana guessed.

Tur and Arturo laughed, while the director tried to understand what was going on.

After that they gave the microphone to the First. He confirmed his decision to withdraw his military forces and mentioned that he hoped to establish trade with Mother in the future. Finally they lined the children up and gave them each a medal, in commemoration of their extreme courage and love for their world, or so the director was supposed to say. For the same reason a general chuckle was heard when they gave it to Erica.

0