Chapter 5
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mother's Servants

It was the middle of the night when I heard a person's breath. I pushed away the curtains that encased my bed and saw a eunuch's uniform.

"Your highness." The eunuch bowed to me. I was uncertain who he was since he seemed to have said those words out of habit. There was not a hint of killing intent that emitted from his body. Yet at the same time, those who served me would have respected my wishes when I said that I wished to be left alone.

I looked at him and bluntly said: "I wanted to be left alone." 

The eunuch bowed and said, "Your highness, this servant wanted to check on you."

"Why?" 

"This servant wanted to see if you were okay. Now that I see you are okay, I shall leave now." He said, preparing to turn around.

"Please wait!" I said, completely throwing off all blankets that covered me. The instance my feet hit the ground, I instantly regretted not putting on my shoes. The stone floor was even colder than hard ice.

He seemed to have known I was cold, and picked me up from the ground, tucking me back in bed, and warming me up with blankets. "Your highness, it is cold, you should not get out of bed at night."

I carefully observed him. He was neither too tall nor too short, with a face that was neither too attractive nor too ugly, as though getting lost in a crowd would not be too difficult. He was dressed in complete white, which I found strange as the only people who were allowed to dress in mourning garb would be my brother and me. I thought about it for a moment and remembered that only the closest of servants within the palace could also dress this way when their masters died.

"I don't seem to remember you," I said with confusion.

"Your highness, I have always served beside your mother." The eunuch said, "I am eunuch Huang."

Just as he was about to leave, I held onto his sleeve, "Stay with me tonight." I said with a childish smile.

He looked back at me wearily. I was uncertain whether or not he believed me, but he still decided to stay, sitting next to my bed.

Perhaps he was hoping that I would fall asleep, but I did not do what he wished. Instead, I kept my eyes wide open and reused to allow my body to grow tired. Though this might cause me to sleep until midday, I did not mind.

"How long have you been serving my mother?"

"Since she was young." He answered.

"Then, do you protect her?"

"I watched over her."

I silently listened to his answers that were short and concise, but full of sentiment. In the end, I felt that he was one who cared about the past.

Emotions were at times nothing more than a stumbling block that could get in the way. Though at this moment, I knew that he was one who would follow his master's orders until the very end. This was a person that could be counted upon.

I was also surprised that my mother would have such a servant beside her. 

Perhaps this could count as a blessing in disguise as there was no need for me to search for loyal subordinates out of thin air.

My mother still died in the palace, even under being watched over. I was unsure if he knew the secrets behind her death, I did not know if he would be keen on uncovering such secrets either.

"Since that is the case, why are you looking for me and not my older brother?" I looked at him and asked.

At my question, he hesitated before saying, "Your mother was worried about you."

Now, at his words, I somewhat understood, my mother was fearful that I would not be as good as my brothers and would one day lose to them.

Yet was she so cruel as to believe that her eldest son would harm her younger child, without taking her into account?

I thought back upon the countless battles over successions of the throne throughout history. The Zhu emperor had murdered his nephew and brothers for his throne. The Chu emperor had his younger brother assassinated in order to rule out any competitors. While the Xiao emperor had his brothers and nephews murdered in order to sit upon his throne.

Within dynasties throughout history, there were vibrant examples of bloodshed that fought over that seemingly ordinary seat as the monarch of a kingdom. What was the point of such a seat anyway? 

Perhaps it was for the thrill of being regarded as a living god by the people. Maybe it was the superior power to have such an ability to reign over the fate of a person's life and death.

There was once a saying I had heard of.

When brothers of an ordinary family fought over the inheritance, at most they would only lose the right to inherit their own property. Yet when brothers of the imperial family fought, what was at stake was more than just the titles or power they held, rather they were gambling with their lives. To think that just by losing that seat, their lives would be thrown away just like that.

I could understand my mother's worry, after all, even bears protected heir own youth, sure, when they came of age, the little cubs would be released into the wild, but until that time came, there would be plenty of time to cherish that little cub.

Unfortunately, there were some that were unable to cherish their cubs because they had lost the battle to a more ferocious animal, but their cubs would either die off or live to battle once more.

Though this was to be my fate, I did not feel the slightest hint of gloom overcome me. 

"Eunuch Huang, do you wish to stay with me?" I asked.

"This servant would be honored."

And like that, I had acquired a loyal servant.

 

0