Chapter 2(Birds)
1k 1 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time I started to approach the greenery, the sun was just a few hours before setting down below the horizon. I tried running, but as expected my stats hinted that I was not a well physically versed person. I tried experimenting with mana bolt, first by firing it from my finger tips, my palms, and so on and found out that as long as the point was with a a foot radius of my body it could be fired from anywhere. It could be fired in the air or from my hair, and it took around 2 seconds to cast. On the other hand, I found that my aim with my spell was much better when I was firing from with my arm. Perhaps it is a visualization problem, as aiming down my arm and fingers like a gun was much easier to do than imagining a bolt accurately striking from my back, out of my sight. 

Thankfully, no scorpions and snakes were in the desert, rather there was no life in the desert at all. No cactus, no shrubs, no lizards. Approaching a nearby tree, it was well a plain tree. No fruits or nuts unfortunately. My first priority for survival should be water, but food is definitely important too. Let's hope there's both somewhere around here. I start to travel through the forest, the grass floor was mixed with the roots from the trees, but at least this wasn't a rain forest where mud and vines would impede my travels. This more resembled, a northern forest? The air was warm enough but not humid, I should expect a cold night, and the sounds of life was minimal. Wait life! I look up and there were a few birds scattered about in the trees about 20 meters to my right. 

They were plumper than pigeons and had a dark green/blue shading. If I do take my shot, it will alert the other birds. I try to walk closer to their positions, but I try to walk in a direction towards an adjacent position. This way they do not see me coming directly at them. Every so often I turn the other direction, but never directly towards them. I finally get within 5 meters of the tree they are perched on. I picked out one of them, steady myself, aim, and fire. The bolt flies and before the birds could even react, one is already taken out of its place as it falls smoking to the ground. The other birds are already flying off, but I try to shoot another bolt, but 2 seconds of casting leaves them already a fair distance away. Trying to hit them through a forest while they're flying only led to the expected outcome, but I was already satisfied with my first catch/hunt. 

*bing

Forest Avia Slain

1 Exp Gained

So hunting creatures will net me "experience" which I can use to level up and grow stronger like in a video game. For now I take a look at the singed bird. Straight in the chest is a small hole, charred and some blood leaking out. Some of the meat will probably be unpalatable, but it should be good enough. I take a hold of the bird and...I notice an icon in my periphery. A bag icon is shown, mentally selecting it it seems that I can "store" the bird into an "inventory." I do so and my bird disappears. I mentally check my system for an "inventory" and find the icon. I am taken to a new screen in which multitudes of rows and columns contains empty boxes. I see a dead bird icon shown in one box along with a number 1 on it. I try thinking of taking the bird out and it just appears out of thin air. This is definitely much appreciated though. Thankfully I guess I won't have to worry about storage for now. I try putting in a piece of a leaf fallen from a nearby tree. I should check to see how well this inventory will seal items. If it has a time stop attribute that would be great, but even just having the function to store items is amazing. 

Now then to ea...I need a way of cooking it huh.... That and I am starting to get thirsty from all the walking the in the desert. For now lets just focus on finding a river or lake, and hunting. Going deeper into the forest I notice that the direction I am walking in coincides with the opposite direction the sun sets. I should be heading east then right? The sun rises from the east and falls in the west, so I should be heading east.

Walking another hour, I could faintly hear sounds of a low trickling. I had been following mainly places where birds were flocking to in hopes of both hunting for experience and finding water since where there is life there is water. Walking towards the sound, I find a small river. The water is clear and while there are birds I see in the the trees, there are no other creatures near me that I can see. This water should be clean since it is flowing water, but it would be best to boil it then drink it to get rid of possible germs. I don't have a flask or pot though. Oh well fuck it, I can only go so long with out water, even I am only human despite my mind telling me this isn't too sanitary. 

With my thirst satiated, I think back to what I need to do. I have food, but need to cook it, I need to find shelter, and water is secured. For tonight I should probably just climb a tree and sleep since it will be hard to move at night time without any lights. regarding this bird I got I will need a fire to cook it. Skewering it on a branch will probably work ok for now. I move to a clearing near the river, and begin gather twigs, branches, and so on. Digging the surrounding grass out and placing my materials in a dirt pit, I try firing a mana bolt at my fire place. Of course, some dirt and twigs fly at me from the small impact force, but the charred remains are enough to start a fire. 

Once I get the campfire going, I bring out the bird, Avia was it called, and I try washing it in the river. Plucking its fingers and removing the organs, all while trying not to gag, I tear off some pieces of flesh and skewer them while trying to convince myself that this is fun camping time. 

The bird meat was pretty bad to be honest. It's not that it was bitter or posionous, but it was very bland. Nothing like chicken, it was a bit gamey and really eating it just became a process of shoving what I tried to recognize as food into my mouth. No salt hurts a lot I guess. 

Well at least my objectives for the day have been achieved, secure water, food, and shelter. I wonder though how my amnesia works though. I know what salt is, but nothing about who taught me. I have this knowledge, but no memories. Another question for another day I guess. flipping through my system screens, I notice that I have 4/5 Exp. Lets hunt one more to try and level up then yea?

The light is already quite dim now, but I can still make out a bird in the trees near the river. I once again get close by keeping my direction of movement away form the birds themselves, and bring another down. 

*bing

Forest Avia Slain

1 Exp Gained

1*Level Up 

Looking at my my screens, I see that my status had updated to have 5 more stats unallocated, and 3 more skill points. I also noticed that my health and mana did not change so I guess that leveling won't "refresh" me. That makes int an even less important stat to honest. Maximum mana is not worth as much as regeneration right now, at least if I was having a death or life battle it would, but right now I am trying to survive which is a marathon not a sprint. I'll switch to a 1:4 ratio of int:wis then. For skill points, I try putting another point into mana bolt, but the description didn't change. The mana cost increased by from 5->6, which is bad since I once shot birds right now anyways, and the mana cost increase would only hurt my ability to hunt constantly. The only other skill is a passive that seems to increase my int and wis by (5-25)%. While percentage increases are amazing, that is only so for big numbers. A 25% increase for my 17 int is only around 4 int, although I guess its better than increasing the mana cost for my skill. I have 4 skill points since I didn't use all of them last level so I place all of them in Mage's Mind. 

Name   Hp 13 hp
Race Human? Hp Regen 1.5 hp/h
Class Beginner Mage Mp 29 mp
    Mp Regen 24.5 mp/h
  Current Max    
Level 2 5    
Experience 0 10    
         
Stats Base Total    
Str 6 6    
Con 6 6    
Dex 8 8    
Agi 7 7    
Int 18 21    
Wis 15 18    
Unallocated 0      

Beginner Mage          
Name Level Max Description   Cost
Mana Bolt 2 10 Shoot a weak bolt of mana   5mp
           
Mage's Mind 4 5 [20%]increase to Int and Wis    
Unallocated 0        

I make sure put out the campfire, and climb a nearby tree. I have 4 dead birds in my inventory, but I am not too eager to eat them to be honest. Another day, another life though I guess. 

 

 

27