Eden 02: Chapter 03-04 Sara Noble
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 03: Lessons

 

Sara's first week of becoming a rider was hard. Cindy had her up before dawn since school was canceled until further notice. The first lessons were getting her Leather-Wing to obey basic commands.

This took hours out of each day until her Leather-Wing seem to finally understand what she wanted. Sara also had to learn not to act scared or let out a yelp anytime something didn't go right.

 

Thankfully with Cindy and Peach around the lessons were made a bit easier. Now Sara could see a full-size Leather-Wing almost next to her own it was clear that an Eastern Fur-ball was a much smaller breed. If one compared a bus to a compact car.

 

By the second week, Sara got a package via a mail drone. The small plastic clear create had her flight gear which was a little baggy but fit her good enough.

 

The flight helmet wasn't as fancy as the one Cindy used, but looked nearly the same. In time, her Leather-Wing now known as Fur-ball made friends with Rusty the farm dog then her younger adopted siblings. They had to sneaked away from chores to have a look at the monster bat-like creature.

 

Fur-ball started making short flights on his own under the care of Cindy.

Then the day came that Sara dreaded the most.

 

“Today, you fly with me. ” Cindy happily announced waking Sara up from a nice dream.

Sara skipped on eating too much and stayed with the cooked seasoned rice that always seemed to make it into their meals. She met up with Cindy at the Lake's bank where Peach waited.

 

“I know you're scared of heights, girl. I have to be blind not to see it. ” Cindy said as Sara was putting on her flight clothing over her wetsuit.

 

“We will be flying over the lake? ” Sara said looking over the water feeling only a little better about the whole ordeal.

 

“Yes, now we made a few advancements in flight gear you may not know about. ” Cindy said and went over the latest improvements and Sara's personal favorite a compact parachute which folded back on its own after flipping a switch.

 

Cindy then had Sara mount up on the second seat of Peach's saddle. Sara making sure her feet landed where they should.

 

Clipping in made her heart jump with fear and excitement. Finally, Cindy joined her and told her to hang on. Sara leaned forward and took a grip on the handholds.

 

Peach made a running start and a few good flaps later they were airborne. Sara saw none of this because she had closed her eyes until they were steady.

 

“Open your eyes, Sara. ” Cindy said through their commlink in a clear calm voice.

Sara did so and saw they were sailing only feet above the water nearly skimming the surface.

 

“Normally, you don't want to fly this close to water due to the waves, but this lake is calm enough and the weather is only cloudy. ” Cindy said and Sara even dared to look over the side to see her distorted reflection.

 

“This isn't as bad as I thought. ” Sara said remembering to breathe deeply.

 

“We are going a little higher then landing. Dip your toes in the water so to speak. ” Cindy said seeming amused.

 

They landed soon after and Sara pulled her helmet off to sit by the water's edge.

 

“Take a swim if you like. I can carry the flight gear back to the barn. ” Cindy said clapping Sara on the back for a good job.

 

By the time Sara got back to the barn from her little swim. She found her adopted grandpa and Cindy working on the last of the solar panels. To Sara's shock, her grandpa somehow got Fur-Ball to help him.

 

The smaller Leather-Wing could easily climb on the roof using the steel supports where the panels had gaps. Sara noticed the panels were spaced further apart and more supports were added. There was also a spider welding drone helping in the work.

 

“Grandpa, how? ” Sara said pointing at her Leather-Wing. Besides the other kids and Cindy. Fur-ball wasn't exactly friendly to people just yet.

 

“Fish and a lot of Water Beetles. He is earning his keep. ” Grandpa said and Sara wondered how many hours he spent with her Leather-Wing when she was busy.

 

“I seem those two hunting the Water Beetles down. Your Leather-Wing is quite good at finding his own food. ” Cindy said wiring in another solar panel then closing the housing up.

 

“Another few days left. ” Her grandpa said to Cindy and the woman nodded.

 

“She goes on her first solo flight in the morning. A quick trip over the water then more daring flights. After that, it's up to her. ” Cindy replied back and whistled to Peach. The Leather-Wing rose up to meet her as she jumped off the roof to land on the creature's back.

Something Sara didn't think she would ever do. Cindy gave the signal for the Leather-Wings to fly off. The rest of them walked back to the house now that the solar panels were fixed.

As Cindy took her guest seat at the dinner table Sara came to realize she thought of the woman as more then a teacher. A much older mature friend if she needed advice.

 

The conversation went to the repairs in the area and Cindy who stayed in contact with her team. She informed Sara's family nearly all of the farms were back to normal operations.

 

“It was no problem getting the parts you needed due to the storm damage. ” Cindy said with a wink to Sara knowing full well it was Fur-Ball who caused the damage to the panels.

Sara went to bed a bit nervous but felt better when she woke up before anyone else.

Hardly speaking to each other Cindy and Sara made their way to the lake's bank where the Leather-Wings liked to wait. It appeared that Fur-ball helped himself to the smaller fish in the lake.

 

Sara with help from Cindy put the harness system on Fur-ball and double-check the straps.

Then Sara pulled on her flight helmet then climbed up to clip herself in. With a vocal command carried through her external speakers, she found herself hanging on as Fur-ball took off running then leaping into the air flapping hard. As her habit, she had closed her eyes on take off.

 

Sara opened her eyes to see they were only yards above the water. Fur-Ball moving faster and taking wide turns when Sara pulled the reins then gave the verbal command.

With a bit of regret, Sara was coming in for a landing.

 

Cindy smiling the entire time as Sara unhooked herself and nearly fell to her knees with relief.

 

“Not bad for your first solo flight. ” Cindy commented as they worked on undoing the saddle harness together.

 

Sara ran off for the house forgetting to take her morning dip in the lake. Sara had to share the flight videos with her dad via the newly restore internet network.

 

A short time later when they all sat down for breakfast he praised her for her hard work. It embarrassed Sara for a short while, but she was proud she was starting to overcome her two major fears in life.

 

On the last day that Cindy was staying on the farm, they flew together with Peach flying just below.

 
 

Sara kept her cool daring to fly higher then ever before and only felt a little sick when they landed on good solid Eden once more.

 

“I hope you stick with your flying. I uploaded lessons to your flight helmet to try. Get comfortable with the easy stuff first. Good luck, Sara. ” Cindy said shaking her hand then climbing up into her Leather-Wing's harness.

 

Chapter 04: Adventure

 

Sara discovered that Fur-ball was quite useful around the farm. Large opened saddlebags were added to his harness and at the start of the harvest phase. He could be loaded down with rice ready to dry out in the barn.

 

Also by accident Sara learned that Fur-ball would bring her damaged farm drones for her to fix. She made a comment out loud about getting one out of a nasty patch of mud when her Leather-Wing flew out to get it for her.

 

Then came the happy day her father returned by a hired aircraft and Sara introduce him to her Leather-Wing.

 

“Smaller then expected, but still big. ” Her father commented and Fur-ball took a liking to him.

 

Sara knew she went on about all she learned and the progress she was making. Her dad listened and they discussed many things after.

At dinner that very night the Light Festival came up and there was serious talk about making arrangements.

 

“I got a good size warehouse along with one of the rivers in Alpha city. We can set up extra cots in the upper rooms and there another open room for the Leather-Wing. Maybe, he can get rid of the one pesky Fang-Parrot who thinks he owns the place. ” Her father joked as he spoke to the family in general.

 

“You know how sick Sara gets in a crowded aircraft and flying. ” Her mother said quietly and Sara blushed a little.

 

“Oh, I was thinking she could just follow behind us. We can stay in touch via the commlinks and she can fly at her own speed. Kids her age are driving cars or learning how to fly air crafts. We will be doing a bit of island hopping so they will be plenty of time for rest. ” Her father said.

 

“I can manage short flights. Fur-ball is strong enough and getting better every day. ” Sara said and her mother finally nodded in agreement.

 

“The Light Festival is for the young. I'm staying behind to make sure things get done around here. ” Grandpa said and Sara knew he get cranky the moment everyone left.

“A few days away at the most. ” Her father said and Grandpa nodded.

 

The next morning the same hired aircraft came back and most of the family piled inside. Sara was ready herself and about to climb up when she noticed Rusty had jumped up into one of the open saddlebags.

 

“Rusty down. ” Sara ordered the dog and he shook his head in that doggy away if a flea had bitten him.

 

“Take the rascal with you. ” Grandpa said with a laugh.

 

Sara did so climbing up and clipping herself into place. Then putting on her helmet. She figured the dog would jump out the moment they started moving, but to her surprise. Rusty stayed where he was.

 

The aircraft took off and Sara followed after them at a much lower height to avoid any other air traffic. Sara glanced back a few times to see Rusty enjoying the flight with his head poking out of the large saddlebag.

 

Sara skipped lunch when they landed to eat and only felt a bit sick when they finally reached Alpha city.

 

Sara landed through a large open side doorway on the second level. While her father's hired aircraft landed on the rooftop using a landing pad. Sara guessed they normally used the landing pad to receive parts via air drone.

 

Sara guessed the open space she landed in was to test fixed air drones. A fang parrot squawk at her and Sara watched as it flew away cawing the entire time.

 

She met up with her family in the next room as they were coming down the stairs that led up to the roof.

 

Sara was the first to lay down on a cot with legs that shook a little. She wasn't looking forward to the flight back anytime soon. She was so out of it that she didn't bother with unpacking her tablet.

 

It was early morning when Sara woke up and it took her a few extra seconds to realize where she was.

 

Already her father was absent from his cot. Exploring the warehouse she found him in the front room on the second floor which was his workspace.

 

A corner kitchen area with a table took up one corner. On the other corner across from that was a simple little bathroom with a corner shower. The kitchen table centerpiece was a hologram emitter which told Sara this is where he sat when he talked to them from so far away.

 

Currently, he was standing at a large circular machine known as a fabricator that could make just about any drone he fed the designs into. Which doubled as his work table.

As Sara walked in she saw he was looking over a hologram of a new drone with long tentacles. Sara guessed it was a new water drone for capturing sea life.

He dismissed it the moment he noticed she came inside.

 

“We haven't discussed that one. ” Sara said looking where the hologram had been.

 

“Oh, its nothing. Just an idea, I was toying around with. ” Her father said and brought up other hologram images.

 

“Have a look at the drones we repair. ” Her father said and Sara step up to look over the images after her father verbally told the computer to bring them up.

 

Using her fingers in the air she could zoom in or out for greater details. A hand wave could spin it around for visible inspection. Not to mention everything could be controlled through voice commands if needed.

 

“Selfie drones for taking pictures or video, Fish Dredgers for river clean up, a few farm drones and personal backpack spider drones for carrying stuff. ” Sara said as she rattled off the drones and their main functions.

 

“That's my girl. A few more years and you can work for your old man. You will need to know this place inside and out when you inherit it from me. ” Her dad said proudly she was able to ID every drone.

 

“Pretty basic, dad. Are we still using Spider Drones to help out in fixing broken drones? ” Sara asked wondering if her dad changed that part of the business yet.

 

“Yeah, As you know we have ten fixers and each of them has their own unique Spider-Drone according to their personal choice. Most of them go out to repair or locate a broken drone. As always, we rotate the workers on fieldwork. Another company in Alpha city handles nearly all delivery drones so we get the odds and ends in drone types. Then, there is the rare custom job that I do from time to time for extra credits. When I'm not overseeing things there. Mister Cope, one of my three business partners handles all the electronic paperwork and pay. ” Her father answered and explained things a bit more.

 

“I like to meet your partners sometime. Any of them inventors like you? ” Sara asked realizing she knew very little about the inner workings of her father's business.

 

“Mister Cope is normally around, but the other two rarely stop by. Hey, want to see your Festival gift? ” Her father asked next now today was the first day of the Light Festival.

 

“Yeah. ” Sara said and her dad went to the supply shelf where he pulled out something like a hardshell backpack.

 

“I know you have a fear of flying. So, I made this for you just in case you fall. ” Her father said and put on the backpack himself since it was already adjusted for his body frame.

 

“Daedalus. ” Her father spoke out loud. Sara watched as two fixed wings popped out expanding to make wings. Embedded in each wing were two high-speed drone hover blades that flipped forward on each side. Whirling into life and lifted him a few feet from the ground.

 

“Pretty cool? ” Her dad said and did a little dance in the air.

“Oh, yeah. What is the counter-voice command? ” Sara asked knowing her father always had a counter command.

“Icarus. ” Her father said and slowly he descended down until he was down on his own two feet. The fixed wings retracted back into the hard shell of the backpack.

 

“I rigged up some sensors on it so you don't hit your head on ceilings when indoors and if it detects an uncontrolled free fall the wings will engage automatically. Better then a parachute in my opinion. There is some space in it for a compact parachute in case you need a backup system or store items into. ” Her dad said taking it off and laying it on the table.

 

“Waterproof? ” Sara asked making the needed strap adjustments for her body. She had no problem with leaving the ground by a few feet.

 

“You can land in a lake with no issues, but avoid being underwater for a long time. ” Her dad responded

 

“You know, I could upgrade it with a remote glove control just in case I need to change my direction in mid-fall. ” Sara said out loud thinking it over.

 

“Good idea. Maybe get some laser etching of mermaids on it too. ” Her dad said with a wink teasing her a little. It was a common trend for Nereids to have mermaids on their clothing ever since they had learned the legends around them. Others went with water spirits or the creatures of the deep.

 

“If I put mermaids on the backpack. I might as well do the helmet too. ” Sara said thinking it over. Her father's company had various machines for all kinds of custom jobs.

 

“Well, I think we better get breakfast going then a tour of the first floor.” her dad said next and Sara nodded then joined him in preparing some food he had on hand.

 

After everyone else woke up and had their bowls of cold cereal. Sara got the full tour of the place.

 

Everything was neat and orderly until you got to the area where the fixers worked. Each work area was separated and clearly arranged to each personal style. Some of the fixers already at their work stations. Their spider drone either under their desk or on top helping them with repair work.

 

Names like Lisa, Helen, Frank, and Luke were labeled over each person's tool wall. Sara found Helen's blue hair interesting while Luke's tattoos seem almost alive with the level of detail he had. Her father generally valued people's skills over their looks. Not that it mattered to Sara, but Lisa was a Nereid like herself and no doubt got jobs to find water drones.

 

Currently, the young woman was working on a fish drone that looked like a Koi fish. The black and red shell was designed to look pretty while the main function was to find floating trash and collect it.

 

Sara guessed the recycling center building two doors down is where most likely is where that drone came from. Lisa's spider drone model after a female Diving bell spider. Her work station was close to the open pool that was cut into the floor of the warehouse. Rails and warning markers all around the edge to warn anyone from falling in. The water with little doubt was coming from the river.

 

Sara could just picture her father having a dip in the pool in the morning maybe even swimming out to the river then back. Sara made a note were the pool gate controls were so she could have a swim later.

 

Helen's work area was colorful and clearly, she was the main artist of the group. Drawings, stretches, and artwork was the main décor of her work area. Currently she was doing some touch-up work with an airbrush. Her repair spider drone was a brightly colored Marco Spider native only to Eden. A much smaller deadlier cousin to a common silk-Weaver. The difference was her drone version was about the same size as a Silk-Weaver.

 

Franky was a skinny teenager with a wiry build to his body. Sara looked at his name label to see someone had used colorful markers to put Freaky in front of his name. He had a few pictures of a City from Earth and what Sara assumed was his parents in that same city. Sara could see he was working on a flying selfie drone.

His six-legged spider drone seemed to be like him. Sara learned later on he had modeled it after a pet Whip Spider he once owned. Sara guessed his drone was extremely good at getting other drones out of trees. Sara saw that Franky glance her way, but quickly looked away.

 

Sara pegged Luke as a farm boy the second she saw him due to his looks. First clue being his large body size from doing hard work. Another hint, that he wore clean overalls and he was currently fixing a drone used in farm work.

 

He looked about the same age as her father and his spider drone was modeled after a Mexican Red knee tarantula looked as bulky as he did.

 

Her father introduced them all and Sara was greeted with a friendly wave or nod. Most of the fixers wore headphones and Sara was sure Franky was listening to an audiobook if his tablet display showing a cover of a book was a clue.

 

“They do some amazing work. Let me take you out to the work yard on the side of our property. ” Her father said and everyone followed him to an open area that was fenced in.

Sara saw this is where larger drones were dropped off by aircraft or truck for repairs. Large fixed-wing drones to farm drones were scattered about. There were also little hangers for nightly storage.

 

A man slightly older then her father came out wearing mechanic coveralls and wiping his hands clean. His stitched name tag reading Sam.

 

“Mister Noble, so these are the wee ones who have taken over my test flight room. ” Sam said in a teasing accusing tone looking over the youngest of the family.

 

“Just for a few nights, Sam. Oh, be sure to stay out of the open second-floor bay room. My daughter's Leather-Wing is up there. ” Her father warned him and the man nodded then locked eyes with her.

 

“So, this is little miss sunshine who can fix anything or improve it. ” Sam said giving her a grin. Clearly, Sam had heard plenty of stories about her from her father.

 

Sara like everyone else in her family was startled by a large black bird flying down. The only exception being her father. At first Sara mistook it for a real Raven.

 

Sara saw that it was just another drone and in its beak was holding a tool. Clearly, it was another companion drone designed to help out

 

“Later, Poe. Go back over there. ” Sam said waving his hand away pretending to be annoyed, but clearly amused by the life-like drone.

 

It even made a cawing sound as it took off. Sara's younger adopted siblings amused by it.

They left going back inside and passing the break room then meeting the Android named Joy. They learned that she ran the lobby area and took care of the rare customers who decided to personally drop off their drones.

 

Sara could only describe her as average looks and overly helpful. If Sara was honest with herself she was more interested in the inner workings of the Android then the AI that was Joy.

 

“The android body you see is just a part of Joy. She is also the warehouse's security network. Sure Mister Cope runs things, but Joy maintains all of our records. ” Her Father said and Joy made a point to shake everyone's hand.

 

The front door opened and an older man walked in. He had a hard face with a lean body. Sara got the impression of a cranky old man almost at once.

 

“Mister Cope, Say hi to the family. ” Her father said.

 

“A pleasure. Excuse me, I have work to do. ” Mister Cope almost barked as he barely slowed down as he walked past them going into his office.

 

“Well, warmer then he usually is. ” Her father said and gestured they all should walk outside.

Sara got a look at her father's business from the street. She read the wooden sign proclaiming Noble Drone Repair.

 

“Pretty catchy name. ” Her father said and talked about what to do in the city.

“Dad, I got to look after Fur-Ball first. ” Sara said remembering nobody let Rusty out either.

 

“Sure, Go around to the other side pass the employee parking area. The employee back door is locked, but there is a dock in the back so you can just whistle for your Leather-Wing. ” Her father said giving her directions.

 

Sara ran off and found herself walking past the small parking area for cars and bikes. Then onto the little dock area that was slightly over the river.

 

Sara looked up to see the open second-floor doorway.

 

“Fur-Ball!” Sara called out and whistled.

 

The head of a Leather-Wing appeared followed by a dog looking down. Having no fear of water Rusty leaped from the second floor into the slow-moving river water. Sara thought it was a good thing he was a strong swimmer. He used a ramp meant for Nereids that ran up from the river up to the dock.

 

Fur-Ball flew out and banked following the river's course. A minute later he caught a small armored fish in his claws. Sara watched as he flew toward the park to land. Sara knew he would eat there and maybe find some fruit growing on the trees to snack on after his breakfast.

“Come on, Rusty. Time for a morning walk. ” Sara said and led him away from the water to a patch of grass not far away.

 

After Rusty did his business Sara rejoined the family and learned in her time away they decided to get a simple tour of the city.

 

Her dad took over the care of Rusty by fixing a leash around him.

 

They visited the wall, shopped at the open market, and finished with a trip to the main museum in Alpha City. Sara found the main lobby interesting since it housed Drac-Ko's skeletons. There were holograms playing of a younger Drac-Ko along with an educational speech toward the center of the room.

 

Sara recalled right at the end of the war the people of Eden managed to capture a baby one for study. By now it must be fully grown and she always heard that it was locked up deep in the mountain complex.

 

Sara spent most of her time in the Earth exhibit. There were few updates due to the main portal being shut down, but from time to time. People from Earth found their way to Eden through random portals that opened on their own.

 

Sara learned long ago that smaller portals were like distorted mist or a ripple in the air where none should be.

 

The lucky ones ended up in a city or one of the many islands. While the unlucky ones found themselves in the middle of the oceans or in the jungle. From what she read portal detection was getting better every day and there were more rescues with each passing year. Sara didn't like to think about those they never found or arrived too late to help.

 

Sara wondered what people from Earth must have thought when they got rescued by a Nereids. People of Eden might rule the sky and land, but her people were masters of the sea.

Sometime before dinner they all headed back to the warehouse to rest up for the first night of the Light Festival. Sara had noticed during the day that the younger generation of kids seemed to prefer having a personal robot pet over carrying smartphones or watches.

 

On the bus ride back Sara admired the new Smart-ware Arm Brace Armor that seemed to be the latest trend in technology. Or simply known as a SABA. As far as she could tell it was like having a little computer wrapped around one's wrist and could double for armor on that limb.

 

Sara suspected from the look of it alone. That the device was a blend of Nereid tech mixed with Eden. If her guess was right then it would be waterproof as well.

 

As they walked they moved back through the work area of the warehouse the previous empty work stations were now occupied. Sara got to meet the last two employees that they hadn't met yet.

 

Han was a Nereid like herself. He looked slightly older and taller then her. Sara watched as he verbally ordered his crablike Spiny Orb Weaver drone into it's charging port just below his desk.

 

Next to him one work station over was a Goth looking girl named Ashley or just Ash according to her slightly marked out nameplate was busy typing away. Sara saw the mid-twenty-something girl was at her own PC apparently looking over computer coding. A slick Black Widow spider Drone just at her feet waiting for a command.

 

Sara guessed that Ash was an expert programmer after spotting some tablets with various computer program coding.

 

Both looked a bit tired and Sara guessed they spent the day running around to different locations to repair drones.

 

Sara only nodded to them as she passed them and returned to the upstairs area.

 

Her younger adopted siblings all went down for naps while the adults needed a quiet break. Sara decided to see to Fur-Ball. The moment she stepped into the room she could tell he looked restless.

 

Sara looked over at her flight suit hanging on the wall and sigh.

 

“Okay, but we are not flying over the wall. The last thing, I need is to be running from Rippers. ” Sara said putting on her suit and adjusting her helmet. She took a moment to change her transponder name to Mermaid.

 

With other Leather-Wings, aircraft, and drones flying about. Sara knew flying in the air space above the city required more attention. Sara soon climbed onto Fur-Ball's saddle then clipped herself in.

 

Starting as far away from the open doorway she gave the command to fly. Fur-Ball galloping for the opening was soon outside flapping away to gain height from the ground.

 

Instantly, a heads up display showed Sara areas where she could fly and not to fly. The fields over the light festival were a no-fly zone with the only exception being authorized Leather-Wings.

 

Sara directed her Leather-Wing for the ocean side since she felt safer over water rather then land. Most aircraft didn't approach by sea. Sara went lower until she thought she could almost feel the ocean spray. Sara thought she saw a Sea Dragon swimming below them. Not sure if Sea Dragons would eat Leather-Wings. Sara gave the command to fly higher.

 

As Sara rose up with Fur-Ball she noticed another Leather-Wing coming up beside her. The heads up display showing the girl's call sign to be Valkyrie riding a young male Leather-wing by the name of Talon.

 

Sara's stomach did a flip as she watched the girl perform a mid-air roll. Judging from her size Sara knew she was just a kid, but Rider and creature moved as one. Sara saw a comm request message come up and she verbally accepted.

 

“Hey, Mermaid. My name is Valerie. ” Valerie said and without having to give a signal her Leather-Wing slowed down a bit.

 

“Sara Noble. ” Sara replied amazed by the girl's ease in flying.

“I have been asked to invite you to visit the Leather-Wing bay which is located below the North Tower. Just follow me and try to keep up. ” Valerie said and did another mid-air roll over Fur-Ball then raced ahead.

 

Sara saw a flight path come up on her screen and switched back to her external speaker.

 

“Come on, Fur-ball. ” Sara said forgetting about her fear of heights and caught up in the moment.

 

Swooping and diving at each other. While each of them trying to be ahead of the other was a lot of fun. Sara laughing and swearing she could hear the young girl doing the same.

 

Sara almost got to the open bay doors first, but Valerie got ahead of her at the last minute.

They landed and Sara looked around at various Leather-Wings resting in large alcoves.

Sara saw a young woman come up to them with an amused look and a kind face. An older woman with wild short white hair followed. The older woman looked stern, but she had warm eyes like her grandpa.

 

Sara removed her flight helmet as the younger rider did.

 

“Crystal and Madam Grace, may I introduce Sara Noble. Call sign, Mermaid. ” Valerie said after sliding down from her Leather-Wing.

“Miss Noble, My name is Crystal and this is Madam Grace. ” Crystal said waving a hand at herself then to the old woman beside her.

Sara just stepped off Fur-Ball and nodded to each.

 

“What a handsome boy you are. ” Madam Grace said and approach Fur-Ball without fear.

 

“Careful, he only knows a few people. ” Sara warned the old woman not sure how her Leather-Wing would react to a stranger.

 

Sara saw an amused smile on the old woman's face and she pulled out a treat then cooed to Fur-Ball.

 

“It's okay, Fur-Ball. ” Valerie said and Sara looked over at the girl. The girl had said her Leather-Wing's name. Sara was sure she hadn't type in his name into the civilian transponder ID.

 

Sara watched with amazement as the old woman seemed to charm her Leather-Wing. Fur-Ball happily took the treat and bent down to get a good scratch behind the ear.

 

“I never thought that I would ever get to see a living Eastern Fur-Ball before I died. ” Grace said and Sara thought she saw tears welling up in the old woman's eyes.

 

“Miss Noble, I invited you up here for a quick chat and to admire your Leather-Wing. He is much smaller then I pictured, but his wingspan is far greater. That suggests, he can fly further then most. ” Crystal said and Sara looked around to see others had stopped what they were doing to look at Fur-Ball. One person even had a smartphone out taking pictures or recording a video.

 

“Oh yeah. I rode here from my family's farm on Paradise Island. We only rested briefly along the way on the islands. ” Sara said more at ease since she wasn't the one who had everyone's attention.

 

“I say they are about the same age too. ” A woman said coming up to stand on Sara's other side. Sara stared in shock at the woman's face. She was beautiful in a motherly way and there was a gleam in her eyes that spoke of slight mischief. More importantly, Sara knew the famous face.

 

“Hey, mom and dad. This is Sara Noble. ” Valerie said and Sara saw the man standing next to the woman.

 

“Your Tee-Kay. ” Sara blurted out.

 

“Yes, a pleasure to meet you, dear. This is my husband, Milo Jones. ” Tee-Kay said and Sara looked at the man feeling herself blush a little. He wasn't exactly overwhelmingly handsome or gorgeous, but he was easy on the eyes. Something about the way he moved told Sara he could fight.

 

“Nice to meet you, Miss Noble. That is a very unique Leather-Wing that you have. I have to wonder. If he is the last of his kind. Personally, I hope he is not. ” Milo said leaning in to speak to her.

 

Sara's eyes went wide as she watched as one of the biggest Leather-Wings she had ever seen come out of an alcove. Jones turned to look and smile. He walked a bit to the side and called to the Leather-Wing. Sara heard the name Nightmare. Then Sara recalled her classes on the war. Tee-Kay and Milo Jones were both given the honored title of Protectors of Eden.

 

“Hey Sara, this is Nightmare. ” Milo Jones said and Sara slowly walked forward. Nightmare bent down and sniffed her. Sara reached out a hand and felt the soft fur. Nightmare purred so loud Sara jumped thinking the Leather-Wing had growled at her. Sara blushed and returned her hand to pet the Leather-Wing.

 

“Funny, normally she doesn't take to a new person so quickly. The exception being my old ward. ” Jones said and looked at Crystal with almost a fatherly gaze.

 

Sara looked back to see Fur-Ball was being introduced to Crystal now. Valerie was standing very close as well.

 

“Valerie, my firstborn daughter is telepathic. She has a strong connection with animals. Even, visits a Sea Dragon that now lives in the area. She first met this same Sea Dragon when she was a little girl. ” Jones explained and Sara now understood why Fur-Ball was so calm among these strangers.

 

“Can she hear human thoughts? ” Sara asked just wondering. The gifted were rare among her people and she only knew the meaning of each power.

 

“No, but she can pick up strong feelings or pick up on your current mood. I pity the young man or girl who takes a fancy to my daughter. ” Jones said next and motioned they should rejoin the group.

 

“Your grandma would never forgive me if I didn't at least get a few pictures. Ask him to spread his wings this time.” Tee-Kay was saying snapping a few pictures using the latest generation smartphone. Valerie simply looked at Fur-ball and the Leather-Wing did so. Sara felt a slight pang of jealousy that this girl could talk directly to her Leather-Wing without speaking.

 

Crystal looked around and noticed everyone standing about.

 

“Break is over. Back to work. We have a busy night ahead of us. ” Crystal called out in a commanding tone then clapping her hands twice. Kids and teenagers went back to what they were doing.

 

“Dad, you and mom are working all night? ” Valerie asked.

 

“Afraid so, kiddo. Grandpa and grandma will take you to the festival. We are on security standby in case of trouble. We will be circling overhead. Just look up and know that I will be watching over you. ” Jones answered and put a hand on her shoulder.

 

Sara could tell the girl was a bit disappointed. Tee-Kay came up next to talk to her daughter.

 

“You better hurry downstairs. They are waiting for you to change your clothes. I want you back early tonight. Your little brother and sister will get cranky after a while. There is always the next night. ” Tee-Kay said to her daughter in that stern way only mothers can do.

 

“Okay, mom. ” Valerie said and led her Leather-Wing away to an alcove.

 

“Tee-Kay and Jones with me. Madam Grace, would you please see our guests out. ” Crystal said and they walked over to her then back toward a little office.

Sara found herself alone with Madam Grace.

 

“Come walk with me, child. ” Grace said and walked toward the opening. Sara followed and watched as Fur-Ball followed along. He looked from side to side seeing the other Leather-Wings and people. Looking more curious then scared.

 

Sara stopped short of the drop off by a good ten feet. Grace stopped only a few feet away.

 

“Scared of heights, I see. Nothing to be ashamed of, dear. If you come close, I will let you in on my own secret fear that I use to have. ” Madam Grace said and turned to look out toward the jungle then down at the city. Sara could see the sun was setting judging from the fading light. The festival would be starting in one hour.

 

Sara slowly walked forward and felt that dizzying rush then closed her eyes. Now she was only five feet away. Then slowly opened them.

 

“Before I came to live on Eden, I was an expert on caring for large somewhat dangerous animals back on Earth. Back then, I was being forced into early retirement. I wasn't happy about it. Even back then my hair was changing color and the wrinkles were there. The first time, I met these Leather-Wings, I have never felt fear like that before. It took me ages to get over it once I saw the truth of the creatures. Listen to me. Prattling on like the old woman I am. ” Madam Grace said with a smile.

 

“What truth was that? ” Sara asked feeling at ease with this old woman. There was something grandmother like about her.

 

“Friendship, dear. That bond between rider and Leather-Wing we still can't fully explain even decades later. It's my firm belief that they are low-level telepathic creatures. Trust your Leather-Wing and you will see in time. ” Madam Grace said stepping back and gave Fur-ball one last pat then slowly walking back toward her rocking chair next to the office doorway.

Sara slowly retreated from the edge herself and climbed back on Fur-Ball. Putting on her helmet she saw a missed message that had come in. It was from her dad to hurry her butt home so she could get ready.

 

“Send a reply. I will be back soon. ” Sara said and watched as her helmet's software sent the message.

 

“Trust your Leather-Wing. Video recording on. ” Sara said next and watched as a recording icon appeared on her HUD. Later, she would watch this video while wearing the helmet many times to help her overcome her fear of heights.

 

Sara switched to external speakers and gave the verbal command to fly. To her credit, Sara did manage to keep her eyes open this time as Fur-Ball did a little jump from the opening. Fur-ball opened his wings and they sailed through the air on an updraft.

0