Eden 02: Chapter 07-08 Sara Noble
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 07: Dinner Invitation

 

Sara was just about to call it when she got an incoming message request.

 

Sara's eyes went wide at the name. She gave out the verbal command to accept.

 

“Hello, Miss Noble. Fancy, meeting you up here, tonight. I'm switching over to the shared channel. ” Tee-Kay said and Sara looked over to see the woman riding on her famous Leather-Wing, Blood Wing. Sara thought her body shape was odd and through the faint light she could almost make out a bag or something in front of Tee-Kay.

 

Sara saw two other Leather-Wings and their riders. One of them she already knew. The other one had a woman riding a golden fur Leather-Wing.

 

“Hey, Valerie. ” Sara said to the one rider she knew over the shared comm channel.

 

“Hi Sara. This is my mom's friend. Banshee or just Mrs. Trisha Bane. Her Leather-Wing is Angel. ” Valerie said in introducing the unknown rider.

 

“Nice to meet the girl with the unique Leather-Wing. ” Mrs. Bane said and Sara could just barely make her out waving at her.

 

“Miss Noble, would you care to come by for some dinner? We were just wrapping up our girl's night out. ” Tee-Kay said and Sara nodded then remembered to say yes.

 

“See you there. ” Valerie said and almost if they were one creature. Sara watched them dive away then disappear into the darkness.

 

“Chip off the old block. ” Mrs. Bane said to Tee-Kay.

 

“Talon will keep her out of trouble until we get home. Follow our lead, Miss Noble. ” Tee-Kay said back.

 

Sara did so and saw they were heading for the Leather-Wing Bay below the North Tower.

They all landed and Sara found the place nearly empty of people.

 

Removing her flight gear she looked about for a place to store it.

 

“Use that stall over there by the open door. It's empty and we will see if Fur-Ball will stay. If not, I can fly you back home. ” Tee-Kay said and Sara did so then realize she was dressed only in her swimsuit under her flight clothing. It wasn't exactly skin-tight being Nereid clothing. Tee-Kay caught her looking down at her clothing and bare feet.

 

“I got some spare clothes you can wear at my place. It's casual Friday as my husband would say. ” Tee-Kay said and for the first time, Sara noticed what she been carrying on her front. While her back had a rifle slung over it.

 

There was a baby girl and as she reached up for Tee-Kay's attention. Sara noticed tiny webbed hands.

 

“Come meet, Ariel. A funny name, but my husband is amused by it. It's from an old kid's movie and sounds like aerial like being in the air. ” Tee-Kay said and Sara walked up and held out a finger.

 

The baby girl giggled and took the finger then her eyes darted back to Blood Wing who loomed over them both.

 

“My other daughter should be home by now and an extra plate set out. It felt great flying again now that I'm all healed up. ” Tee-Kay said and moved toward the exit doors.

Sara noticed guards by the doors. No doubt security had been increased.

 

“Don't mind the guards. You have to be crazy to mess with a flock of Leather-Wings directly. We did lose a few people and Leather-Wings during the attack. So, they increased security for a while. ” Tee-Kay explained and Sara looked to see empty stalls for the most part and one sad-looking Leather-Wing.

 

Sara didn't look for very long when she noticed a young boy comforting the creature by petting it. He looked sleepy and a bit messy looking. If he had spent a lot of time here.

It was a short walk down a hallway then down some stairs. Then they seemed to double back until they came to a door. It moved sideways after Tee-Kay put her hand to it.

Sara guessed a DNA reader or palm scanner installed into the door.

 

A feeling of warmth and cheer seemed to wash over Sara as she entered the apartment. There was a wonderful smell of food and fresh growing herbs. The place was somewhat orderly if you didn't mind stepping over a baby toy or two.

 

Out on the balcony, Sara saw Valerie feeding Talon something from her hand. Perhaps feeding the Leather-Wing some human food. Valerie appeared to be talking to him and Sara getting the strong impression she was seeing only one side of a conversation.

 

“Honey, we are home. We girls got to change before we eat. ” Tee-Kay called and Sara followed her into a master bedroom. There they stripped and having little modesty around other girls. Sara did the same wearing the offered clothes. She had to go without underwear, but Tee-Kay's smallest clothes seem to fit her well.

 

“These are yours to keep. Save me a trip in getting rid of them or the trouble of pawning them off to someone else. ” Tee-Kay said and Sara thanked her.

 

Mrs. Bane had a bag of her own and was storing her flight suit away. Sara saw the weapon of choice Mrs. Bane had. It was an early model laser gun but looked upgraded over the years.

 

“Nice, huh. It can even fire EMP bullet in case of a bad drone or rogue android. ” Mrs. Bane said smiling then broke the weapon down and storing it away. Sara noticed she kept one part of it in her pocket. No doubt some vital part needed for it to work.

 

“How is Mike and his family? ” Tee-Kay asked.

 

“Pretty well. Not sure his wife cares for me. I told her it was a teen romance thing we had once a long time ago. Me and him still talk from time to time. Funny, we are just friends these days. ” Mrs. Bane said and zipped up her bag.

 

“How about your family, Sara? ” Tee-Kay asked as she checked her daughter's diaper and found it clean.

 

“We are doing well. ” Sara said not mentioning she hadn't talked to them in days, but her mother sent her messages.

 

“Well, since we are all good friends. Call me Tiffany and my co-worker, Trisha. ” Tiffany said and check her reflection. She came back to the bed to carry her daughter out of the room.

Sara followed and wasn't surprised to see she was seated next to Valerie who had changed clothes as well. Across from Sara was a toddler boy in a booster seat with a female looking android tending to his needs.

 

Everyone was seated say for the android which Sara learned was called Ada. She seemed to be the housekeeper, gardener, cook, and nanny.

 

Like everyone else, she thanked her when the food was served.

 

It was a bit loud as people settled in and started eating. The food was amazing. Sara could only compare it to the home cook meals back on Paradise Island.

 

“So, how did our youngest rider like her first flight? ” Mr. Jones asked looking over at his wife who was adjusting a sling so she could breastfeed Ariel as she ate.

 

“Giggling and smiling all the way. Being our day off, I'm going to take her swimming on level thirteen in the morning. Personally, I think she likes going naked in the water. ” Tiffany said smiling down at her youngest daughter.

 

“She will be riding Sea Dragons in no time. ” Mr. Jones said smiling and turned his eyes on Sara. Sara could feel her heart jumping a little.

 

“So, Sara. Have you been to the Nereid's cities and rode on Sea Dragons? ” He asked with a teasing grin.

 

“When I was little we visited the cities. The water tubes are the best part. I only ever seen a Sea Dragon from a distance. ” Sara answered.

 

“Maybe my daughter can convince, Sally to meet you. ” Mr. Jones said and Sara saw a bit of blush on Valerie's face.

 

“I was a little girl when I met her. I nicknamed her Sally the Sea Serpent. Besides, she likes the name I gave her. ” Valerie explained and it was Tiffany who spoke next.

 

“There we were taking a nice slow long boat ride to Paradise Island for one of our family vacations. My daughter calls up a Sea Dragon from the ocean. Thankfully, the captain and his crew thought it was a blessing from the sea. The other passengers half scared out of their minds. We had to keep a watchful eye on her for the rest of the trip to make everyone happy. ” Tiffany said smiling as Valerie sunk a little lower in her seat showing a sheepish smile.

 

“Although, I do seem to recall that odd shadow in the water that followed our ship all the way home. ” Mr. Jones said with a wink to his daughter.

 

“Grandma wanted me to remind you. She wants you to take her out again to meet Sally. She has got that new hologram scanner. She wants to scan Sally using sound waves to get a clear picture of her insides. The usual price for Sally's help. ” Tiffany said to Valerie.

“A boatload of her favorite fish. Sally will like that. ” Valerie said with a little smile now sitting up straighter.

 

“Sara, I do believe we have some common friends. Cindy and Peach? ” Trisha said now that mother and daughter Jones were discussing details.

 

“Yeah, she taught me a lot. Helped Fur-ball when he was hurt. ” Sara answered.

 

“We medics don't have much to do at times. We tend to talk and discuss different ways on mending people or animals. You didn't hear this from me, but the rumor is that her team was sent out to scout the deep jungle for a hidden valley or fjord near the mountains. Looking for more Eastern Fur-Balls, so I have heard. ” Trisha said and by now everyone was listening.

 

“I would try closer to the mountains. Fur-Ball did have a lot of body fat on him when we first met. Now, I think about it he didn't attack a Fang-Parrot that lives in my warehouse. Maybe, his breed doesn't run into Fang-Parrots that often. ” Sara said starting to put things together.

 

“I will pass the word along to Cindy from her favorite rice farmer. ” Trisha said nodding.

 

“Dangerous work. I flew on the outskirts of that area before and it still gives me the chills to think about it. ” Mr. Jones said and seemed to be recalling an old memory.

 

“There is still a lot we don't know about the deep jungle. Speaking of which. I didn't see a weapon on you, Sara. It's a bit reckless to go flying beyond the wall unarmed. What if you went down? ” Tiffany asked and Sara felt she was being scolded like a student from a favorite teacher.

 

“Oh, I didn't think about the dangers. ” Sara said quietly.

 

“Have you done any firearm classes yet? ” Jones asked and Sara got a strong impression if she answered yes he would arrange for her to get a gun.

“No, but my grandpa has an old laser rifle in case of trouble. He showed me a few times how to use it. ” Sara answered.

 

“Hmm, what about self-defense training? ” Jones asked next.

 

“Every morning with my grandpa until recently. ” Sara answered.

 

“Oh, that's a little better. Maybe, you should consider getting yourself a weapon or the very least some mace. I think every lovely young lady should have the means to defend herself. How about a friendly match to see what you got? ” Jones asked and Sara looked him over.

 

“I think you would beat me hands down. ” Sara answered.

 

“I was thinking you could go against my oldest daughter. ” Jones said with a very amused smile.

 

“Yeah. ” Valerie said looking eager.

 

“No broken bones and such. ” Tiffany said quickly and Valerie got up and stood in the open space from the dining area to the wall close to the hallway.

 

Sara thought she would have the advantage since Valerie was the smaller and younger girl.

Sara got up and face Valerie. Sara didn't want to draw out the fighting too much and decided to act first. What Sara didn't expect was Valerie to get the upper hand almost at once.

Sara soon found herself flipped onto her back with the younger girl holding her in a chokehold. Sara tapped the ground twice and the pressure was gone.

 

“Top of her class. ” Jones said with pride as the girls nodded to each other in respect.

 

“Show me, how you did that? ” Sara asked and just maybe she could surprise her grandpa the next time she visited him.

 

Valerie went through the steps and Sara knew the girl had to be trained from a very early age to be as good as she was. More slowly and with Valerie being the victim this time. Sara learned the move.

 

“you're bigger then me. So, I used your strength and size against you. The rest is all in the legs and holding the arm twisted like this. ” Valerie explained and Sara nodded doing just that, but not enough to cause pain.

 

“Nice to know you're not a helpless farm girl. your grandpa did well. ” Jones said.

Sara re-took her seat and thanked him for the praise.

 

“I do believe there are few dojos in your area. your part of the city is not the safest spot. I taught my daughter nearly everything that I know. ” Tiffany said next and Sara nodded thinking she needed to get back into learning how to defend herself.

 

“Maybe, you could build yourself a weapon. A robot dog, cat, or bird. You do make drones. ” Valerie said remembering that Sara owned a drone repair warehouse.

 

“There is an idea and very trendy. Between that SABA arm thingy and a robot pet, you can be one of the cool kids. ” Jones said teasing and Sara nodded.

 

“Dad, nobody says cool anymore. ” Valerie said rolling her eyes at her father.

 

“Well, I'm bringing it back into style. ” Jones said with a wink and conversation turned to other things as they ate.

 

Toward the end of their dinner, Sara noticed her cookie started to move and slid over the table. Looking up she saw Valerie's little toddler brother with his hand reaching out.

Sara snatched the cookie from moving any further and her quick arm movement drew all attention to her and then over to Thomas. Sara got over her shock fairly quickly once she realized the little toddler boy was gifted.

 

“Thomas, you already had your cookie. ” Tiffany said in a very motherly tone.

 

He pushed out his lower lip and gave her big puppy dog eyes. He was close to bursting into tears now.

 

“It's okay, Miss Jones. I'm full from the meal. If Thomas says please, I will let him have it. ” Sara said knowing how to deal with younger kids.

 

Thomas looked at her and lisping the word “Please.”

 

Sara smiled and opened up her hand so the cookie rested on her palm. The cookie floated over to him wobbling mid-air into his little hands.

 

“You should see him when he makes his teddy bear do a little dance. It's so cute. ” Mr. Jones said and looked at the current time.

 

Sara looked at the digital clock on the wall as well and knew she had to get back to the warehouse.

 

“I will see you to the Leather-Wing Bay. ” Valerie said hopping up from her seat and Sara followed her back to where she left Fur-Ball.

 

“I will let Fur-Ball know you're coming back. ” Valerie said and her eyes went distant as she walked.

 

Valerie giggled a second later.

 

“What? ” Sara asked curious to know what Fur-Ball's reply was.

“Don't be offended or anything. Leather-Wings are pretty smart, but they think in general terms. It's just Fur-Ball calls you Fish Girl. I gave up long ago trying to explain things to Leather-Wings. It's easier if you find ways to understand them. ” Valerie answered and they walked past the guards who only nodded at the girls.

 

Clearly, Valerie could come and go as she pleased.

 

“Well, Hello Valerie and Sara. ” Madam Grace called out from her rocking chair. The place was quiet now and only a few teens remained checking flight gear then leaving.

 

Sara saw the boy from before still in the stall now asleep beside the Leather-Wing who slept as well. Valerie saw where Sara was looking.

 

“That's Kevin and the Leather-Wing is called Dark Fang. She has been really depressed since she lost her rider in the attack. Eugene was a really nice guy and my parents knew him since he was a kid. Eugene was Kevin's second dad. ” Valerie explained then motion they should move on.

 

“Don't his other parents worry about him? ” Sara asked.

“They both died in the attack. I'm not supposed to know, but Kevin's mother used her body to shield him from the crab robots and his first dad was caught in a bomb blast. Madam Grace said it's best he spends time with Dark Fang while he stays with Crystal. She was an orphan too. So, she understands what it means to lose your parents. ” Valerie said if she repeated this story before, but to only a few people.

 

Sara wasn't shocked to see that Fur-Ball was waiting.

 

“So, I'm Fish girl. ” Sara said teasing

 

Fur-Ball looked from her to Valerie and Sara wondered what they were saying to each other.

 

“Would you prefer Fish Woman? I keep getting the impression of your mother when he thinks that name. ” Valerie asked and taking an interest in Sara's backpack. Sara had placed it on the ground while she got into her flight suit. Thankfully, it was still baggy enough to go over her outer clothing.

 

“Tell Fur-ball, I'm Sara. ” Sara said putting on the backpack and adjusting the straps for a better fit.

 

“Oh, he knows your name pretty well. Trying to remember everyone's name is confusing for him. From his point of view, he thinks of you as my fish girl. Talon, my Leather-Wing calls me Smart Girl only because I can talk to him through my gift. By the way, what is that?” Valerie explained then pointed to the backpack on Sara's back.

 

“Something my dad made just before everything. I was thinking of calling it a Flight Pack. ” Sara said and decided maybe a little demonstration for Valerie's amusement.

 

“What does it do? ” Valerie asked.

 

“Stand back and watch. ” Sara said and made sure she had room.

 

Sara got her helmet into place and spoke using her internal microphone which carried her voice to the external speakers.

 

“Daedalus. ” Sara spoke and felt her self lifted from the ground. Using a computer signal link through her SABA device she was able to control where she hovered. It was a crude set up for now and Sara had plans to put sensors in her gloves that would automatically link up the Flight Pack when it was activated.

 

Sara came down by speaking the counter command. There were a few claps from people watching and Madam Grace giving her a wave.

 

“That is so much better then our compact parachutes. ” Valerie said.

 

“It has a compartment I still use to hold my parachute. Never hurts to have a back-up. ” Sara said seeing that Valerie was impressed.

 

“You got to build me one. My birthday is coming up and my parents can pay you. I will tell my parents that I change my mind about wanting a SABA arm brace from them. Besides, I will just weasel one out of my grandpa and grandma. ” Valerie said in an excited tone.

“Sure. I don't get many contract jobs anymore. It gives me an excuse to visit again or you can come and see me. ” Sara answered.

 

As Sara was prepared to leave she looked back to see Valerie pausing at the stall that held Dark-Fang. Crystal apparently woke up a very sleepy Kevin and was leading him back home.

Sara couldn't hear them, but she guessed the woman was giving him some encouraging words before he went to bed. Valerie moved on soon after and Sara turned her attention to Fur-Ball.

 

“Let's go home. ” Sara said and trusted her Leather-Wing to find his way in the dark.

Sara's heart raced as they dropped from the opening and soared out into the darkness with only the lights below twinkling away.

 

Sara returned to the warehouse and went to bed. Sara put her SABA device under the cot.

 

Chapter 08: Fen

 

Sara woke up thanks to her alarm on her SABA device and got ready for the day. She used the kitchen corner as her school desk as she logged online for her school classes. Afterward she worked literally on her pet project.

 

Sara wanted something like Rusty, but smaller. Sara also wanted something bigger then a cat, but no larger then an Akita. Going over dogs breeds like Rusty she settled on a Shiba Inu dog to model her robot pet from.

 

“Let's see. Catlike claws when needed, steel jaws with normal-looking dog teeth, and I can have him shoot mace from his mouth. ” Sara muttered and went to work typing and sometimes moving her project hologram around.

 

“Computer, work in a water jet propulsion system along with making him waterproof. Bound to be some scrap parts in the side yard I can use for that. ” Sara said watching as the computer obeyed and she smiled as it all came together.

 

“Okay computer. Transfer a list of what I need to my SABA. Begin the process on a basic frame for the body. Leave out the legs for now. I will do that bit myself. ” Sara said noticing the time and watched as the fabricator went to work.

 

Sara walked over to the mini-fridge and pulled herself out a bottle of water then sat at the little table. Reaching over she turned on the hologram emitter and a nearly crystal clear ghostly images of her family seated around a table appeared.

 

Sara knew from their point of view she would be sitting in her father's place at the table back on the rice farm.

 

“Morning everyone. ” Sara said knowing her voice would be transmitted to them.

 

“You been busy? ” Her Grandpa asked.

 

“Yeah, sorry I haven't checked in sooner. I know text messages are so last century. ” Sara answered to see him nod.

 

“Hey sis. I have taken over your job here keeping the farm drones going. ” Joey said smiling and Sara noticed he had a tablet at the table. Normally that was forbidden at meals, but Sara bet he was learning how to repair the farm drones.

 

“That's okay. I got some vintage tablets in my old room with everything you need to know. your welcome to them. I guess my old workshop is yours now too? ” Sara asked.

“Yeah, but only I'm taking up one table for now just in case you return. ” Joey said

 

“It will be a while before I come for a visit. There is a lot of work here to do first. ” Sara said truthfully.

 

“How is school? ” Her mother asked and Sara told her she was keeping up.

 

“We should send your things to you. You will need clothes and such. ” Grandma said and Sara knew she rarely spoke to the oldest children. Grandma liked to focus her attention on cooking, cleaning, and spoiling the younger children.

 

“Just island hop a package to me via drones. I can send one of the drones from here to pick it up once it's close enough. ” Sara said and watched as her mother and Grandma exchanged a look.

 

It was clear to them that Sara wasn't coming home anytime soon.

 

“Got to run. Lots to do. Love you all. ” Sara said waving goodbye then shutting off the emitter.

 

Sara soon joined the other fixers who were already gathered in a loose ring. They were quick to notice her tool bag from her father's work lab and the flight suit she now wore.

“Okay people. Devices on. Here are your assignments. ” Mister Cope said coming out and using his own tablet to send the data to the employees.

 

“Miss Sara Noble will be dividing her time doing fieldwork and contract jobs. What exactly is a Flight Pack? ” Mister Cope asked and Sara had a sheepish smile.

 

“Oh, something my father made for me. It's for Leather-Wing Riders. ” Sara said using her SABA she turned on her personal Flight Pack.

 

Sara was lifted into the air and settled back down a minute later.

 

“Hmm. ” Mister Cope said and walked away without a word.

 

“That rocks. ” Helen said and then everyone else went to work.

 

Franky was heading for the door with his spider drone following along. Sara gave the pool a longing look then turned away to go up the stairs to her Leather-Wing.

 

Sara discovered the tricky part with flying a Leather-Wing about Alpha City wasn't avoiding other air traffic. The real problem was finding a good place to land close to where the damaged drone was.

 

Thankfully, Alpha City was designed with plenty of parks and green areas for wild gardens. These open spots were perfect for landing or taking off.

 

Fur-Ball proved very useful in fetching the drones when she pointed to them.

Sara often worked on the spot and getting the drone back to work.

 

People were curious about Fur-Ball so they came to take pictures. Sara saw a chance for free marketing and before leaving Sara would hand out business cards she had found earlier. Sara sent a message to Joy the next set of business cards should have a picture of Fur-Ball on them or the very least a Leather-Wing logo.

 

Most companies had mascots so Sara figure it was a good advertisement ploy.

Sara also met more then her fair share of Peace Keepers since they were ones guarding damaged or downed drones. People stealing parts was always a problem, but there were also security concerns the drones could be tampered with by the wrong person.

 

Sara had a nice conversation with a PeaceKeeper who had a robot Doberman Pinscher. It looked wicked fast and Sara didn't think anyone could outrun it in the open.

 

Later that day, she discovered they use robotic hawks as well to track criminals when in pursuit. Some moved like the real thing. Sara made mental notes to have her robot pet do the same.

 

During her lunch break at an outdoor pizza parlor, Sara went over what she needed and saw a minor issue. She wanted some serious computer hardware and getting the tech to handle an AI learning program she had in mind would cost her a bit too much brand new.

 

Then Sara recalled a roguish female freckled face and the woman's name. Sara wasn't sure how such transactions were done, but she texted the woman they should meet up sometime.

Sara got a response almost at once.

 

Sara cut her lunchtime down to fly to the park where Missy said she could see her now. Landing her Leather-Wing was nowhere near covert, but as it turned out it didn't matter.

Mississippi or just Missy was with her son and daughter. The children came over to see her Leather-Wing.

 

“Easy now. He still getting used to people. ” Sara said and felt worried until she saw Fur-Ball had no issue with the children.

 

“Leather-Wings like kids. ” the little girl proudly announced and step forward to pet him.

 

“Georgia, did you ask to pet the Leather-Wing? ” Missy asked and the little girl said sorry while still petting Fur-Ball who didn't mind the attention.

 

Slowly parents and other children wandered over.

 

“Okay, folks. One at a time. I handle these beasts all the time. Name is Dallas to those who don't know me. I'm a Leather-Wing rider too. ” Dallas said and gave Missy a wink. Sara got the impression the man was a bit full of himself. It was something in the tone of his voice, but he was handling the kids from rushing the Leather-Wing all at once.

 

“My husband will handle the crowd. What can I do for you Miss Noble? ” Missy asked in a low tone.

 

“Sorry for cutting into your family time. I need an AI computer core. Brand new is a bit out of my price range. Nothing stolen either. ” Sara explained quietly.

 

“Why would you need such a thing, Sugar? ” Missy asked pretending to smile if they were just having a nice conversation.

 

“It's been pointed out to me that I should have a weapon when I need it. I'm building a personal pet robot dog with a few surprises. Nothing lethal, mind you. A guard dog for my work lab and myself. Small metal claws and he will be able to shoot mace from its mouth. ” Sara explained and Missy grinned.

 

“Honey, I got a place in mind. Lucky for you, my consulting fee is low. ” Missy said and Sara nodded opening up the bank app on her SABA. Missy told her where to send the money then gave her the address.

 

“Ask for Mex. I will give him a warning that you're coming and he is to mind his manners. Go see him before dark after work. ” Missy said once she had the credits in her account.

 

“Thanks. ” Sara said seeing the address wasn't too far from her own warehouse.

 

“Miss Noble, check out my racer drone that I made. ” Louis said as he ran over to Sara with his prize in hand.

 

Sara smiled and took the offered drone looking and giving her assessment. Now it appeared she had a good reason for being here.

 

“Pretty Awesome. How does it handle turns? ” Sara asked.

 

“Really good. ” Louis said and Sara looked down at her SABA getting a timer alert.

 

“Hey, I got to run now. My lunch hour is up. ” Sara said waving goodbye and when Dallas saw her coming got the small crowd to step back.

 

Before mounting Fur-Ball's saddle. Sara got out a treat to give to him and told him he was a good boy. Sara also handed out a few business cards as well to the people who were interested.

 

Sara was airborne again and on to her next job assignment. The next few were routine and Sara finished early.

 

She got back to her workshop to see her basic frame for her pet project was finished. Next, she found the plans for the Flight Pack and started the process on that.

 
 

Sara then went about the warehouse to gather up scrap parts she could use for her robot pet. Sara crossed off legs, wiring, and odd bits she needed from her list.

 

“Miss Noble, Joy handles taking the scrap parts to the recycling center two blocks down. ” Helen said and seeing Sara carrying a small tote of parts back toward her workroom.

 

“Pet Project, Helen. I will tell you later about it. ” Sara said and saw the android in question walking toward them.

 

Helen went back to her work area to finish cleaning up.

 

“Miss Noble, I have been getting several calls about your Leather-Wing. Mostly questions and a few complaints which have no value according to the laws regarding Leather-Wings. I have also gotten a request for a personal interview from a local news station. Should I schedule for them to come here? ” Joy said waiting for Sara to answer.

 

“How about I meet up with them in the park tomorrow during my lunch hour across from the river, instead. It's rarely used by a lot of people and I can take Fur-Ball with me. ” Sara answered and Joy rattled off a time.

 

“Keep me up to date if the time changes. ” Sara replied.

 

“One more thing. Here are the current prototype business cards you requested. The other co-owners have voted on Helen's latest designs. you're the deciding vote. ” Joy said and handed her a set of cards with new designs on the back of the old cards.

“I like this one where Fur-ball has his wings open and Noble Drone Repair is printed in his wing pattern. ” Sara said.

 

“I will have the card printer going in no time. ” Joy said and turned away to start the new business cards.

 

Sara returned to the workroom and got a jump start on her robot pet.

 

An hour past and Sara realized she needed to get going to see Mex and get that AI core.

Locking the door behind her Sara decided on walking.

 

Her path took her down the street that was close to the river. As she got further away there were unused warehouses and businesses that closed or moved up in the world to better spaces.

 

As Sara walked on she noticed more and more people about the area. Some coming or going.

 

As Sara looked about she thought she saw Luke. When Sara try to get closer to him. He had disappeared into the crowd not seeing her.

 

Sara moved on and found a warehouse open to the public. People were going in as two large men guarded the door.

 

As Sara step up to go inside the burly guy on the right stepped in front of her. Maybe, she looked too young or didn't fit in with the crowd.

 

“I'm here to see Mex. I believe, Missy called ahead. ” Sara said and the man nodded.

 

“Hey Mex, Got a little lady here to see ya. ” The guy on the left said speaking into his smartwatch.

 

Sara didn't hear the reply and noticed they both wore earpieces.

 

“This way. ” The man said and Sara found her path clear to enter.

 

Sara didn't know what to expect, but she was assaulted by a tearing noise of metal and cheering as she entered.

 

Sara look to see they were robot fighting in the center of the warehouse. The warehouse space had been converted into a fight ring complete with stands.

 

“Upstairs. ” The burly man said and Sara was led upward onto the second floor.

 

“Welcome to Mex's store. I'm Mex” Mex said as she entered and Sara found herself in a long room with bins of parts. There were only a few people browsing over the stuff. Clearly, some were operators of fighting robots.

 

“Shop and have a look. Missy, told me you were looking for a good AI core. I sell everything. No questions ask and if you must know where our parts come from. Not everyone is cut out for robot fighting. Lucky, for them their credit is their fighter when they can't pay their debts. ” Mex said waving a hand to a bin not far away.

 

Sara walked forward and saw a few questionable parts as well a few that were highly illegal. Sara's eyes locked onto a robot dog's head almost at once. The laser name on the forehead read Fen followed by the model number. She saw his AI core was still intact. The microphones that were his ears looked good as well.

 

By the look of Fen he was once a PeaceKeeper robot dog, but an older model. It seemed his number as a fighter was up. Sara could tell he got his head ripped off by the neck.

 

Sara would have to review his memory files for useful bits of programming and whatever he learned while on the job.

 

When Sara pulled it out of the bin and brought to Mex. He grinned at the sight of her already seeing the credits transferred into his account.

 

“Good choice, little lady. That there was last year's champion. Sadly for him, somebody built a better robot dog. I can let it go for this price? ” Mex said using a stylus pen on a mini-tablet.

Sara wondered how much his prices change from customer to customer.

 

Sara had to bargain a little and finally got it down to something she could afford.

 

“I was always a sucker for a pretty face. You can come back anytime. ” Mex said and Sara was even given a sack to carry the head in. Sara had no plans to ever return, but some of the questionable parts did peak her interest. She would have to triple check the laws and see what she could get away with in Alpha City.

 

Sara left and got back to the warehouse using the employee entrance.

 

She worked long after dark and stood back to inspect her work. Sara turned on Fen and linked him to her tablet. She saw herself on the video feedback almost at once.

 

“Okay Fen, let's see your most recent video records. ” Sara said and watched as a list of files came up.

 

“Good, your ears are working. Play the most recent file. ” Sara said and watched as a brute of a man was cussing down at Fen then order Fen to tear the other robot dog a new one. The fight that followed was a brutal one and Fen held his own longer then Sara would have guessed given the sheer size of the other robot dog.

 

“your days for fighting for credits are over. How would you like to be a guard dog? ” Sara asked not expecting an answer, but watched as multiple video windows opened showing Fen's point of view as he was running down criminals, taking down a guy with a gun, and one clip pulling a child out of a burning room.

 

“Okay, I will take that as a yes. I'm Sara Noble. ” Sara said and watched the video windows closed and a chat box appeared on her screen.

 

“Hello Sara Noble, I'm Fen Model-R. Serial number 31337. Current status: Retired. You are my new mistress?” Sara read and smiled.

 
 

“Yes, I prefer work partner or maybe being your friend. In general, I re-built you to be my personal guard dog from unwanted bodily harm. Sorry, you don't have legs yet. They are originally spider legs. So, I need to re-work them into doggy legs. Let's have a look at your core programming. ” Sara said and watched as another window popped up showing her what she wanted to see.

 

“Nice to see no one messed with your Peace Keeping programing. We will hang onto your memory files as a fighter too. There could be useful tactics there. How about a last name? You can be Fen Rascal. ” Sara said and saw the word yes appear.

 

“Let's get you walking. ” Sara said and got started on converting the legs. Yawning she finished attaching the last one. After Sara was done he be able to climb and jump beyond what a normal dog could do.

 

“Okay, Fen. Come here, boy. ” Sara said and watched as he stumbled then promptly fell sideways. Then he got back on his feet.

 

“Good try. you're shorter then before so that will take some time to get used too. your basic moving parts are done. I will work on you every chance I get. Including my days off. For now, I need to sleep. ” Sara promised and went off to bed.

 

Something about the open room and having Fur-Ball nearby put Sara at ease. The sound of lapping river water soothing her into sleep.

0