Chapter 3. Esteemed Empress Dowager Ning
58 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Proofreader: Xythil

 

Ying Yue lost her joy and interest in the flowers and decided to go to the Moon Hall right away. 

Ching'er being tactful pushed the wheelchair to the direction of Anxiang Palace.

Anxiang Palace was the current abode of Esteemed Empress Dowager. Since the passing of the late emperor, she decided to dedicate the rest of her life to pray to the Moon Goddess, completely distancing herself from the worldly affairs. 

In the whole Imperial Palace, she was the only one who still treated Ying Yue with love and care. Hence, Ying Yue also loved this gentle and amiable Imperial Grandmother of her. She spent most of her time to accompany the Empress Dowager every day. 

The distance between the imperial garden and Anxiang Palace seemed awfully far for a 7 years old girl in a wheelchair and her little servant. It took more than half a shichen for them to finally arrive at the front gate of Anxian Palace.

Ching'er was gasping for air while wiping the sweat from her forehead. "Princess, we're here."

Ying Yue felt slight hot as well. Hearing the little maid behind her gasping tiredly after a long-distance trip pushing her wheelchair, she felt a mix of guilt and gratefulness inside her heart. "It's been hard for you.", she said softly.

Ching'er had already gotten used to the princess being soft-hearted. With a big grin pasted on her face, she replied energetically "It's already this servant's duty. This servant is indeed still young but has a strong body. Princess, you don't have to worry. This servant will serve you well!"

Listening to Ching's optimistic remark, Ying Yue felt that her own heart was filled with warmth. She patted Ching's hand and gently thanked her. 

Ching'er muttered a shy "en" then started to push the wheelchair forward once again, past the two open big gates.

––––––––––

The Moon Goddess Hall.

Esteemed Empress Dowager Ning, with both palms clasping together in front of her chest with her eyes closed, kneeling on a praying mat in front of the Moon Goddess's white jade statue.

Two middle-aged mamas and senior eunuchs waited at the door in silence. If one to observe carefully, one of the mamas was very familiar. 

She was Xiao mama. 

The mama who served Imperial Consort Yao in the past. 

After the passing of Imperial Consort Yao 7 years ago in labor, her whereabouts was unknown. It was quite surprising to see her in Anxiang Palace, serving the Esteemed Empress Dowager as one of her trusted attendants.

"Xiao mama.", a sudden call came from inside the tranquil hall.

Xiao mama lifted her head and hurriedly came inside in light strides.

She stopped a few steps behind her master and bowed, respectfully answered, "This servant is at your command." 

Empress Dowager Ning: "It should be time my granddaughter came here. Bring some palace servants and a sedan chair to wait for her in front of our palace gate."

The third princess couldn't walk since childhood and her constitution was weak. It must be very tiring for such a small girl to make a long trip every day. 

Following the master's order, Xiao mama nodded and quickly retreated as Empress Dowager Ning closed her eyes again to continue her prayer as the hall returned to its quiet state.

...

Ching'er caught sight of an entourage of Anxiang Palace servants led by a mama sauntering towards them. In front of two lines of servants was a sedan chair lifted by four strong sedan bearers.

Ching'er grinned as she wiped her sweaty forehead for the nth times. "It's Xiao mama who comes to pick the princess up." 

Ying Yue: "We took so long for arrival. Imperial Grandmother must be worried while waiting."

Ching'er: "Esteemed Empress Dowager cares so much about your highness." It was obvious because the third princess is her dearest granddaughter after all...

A happy smile bloomed on Ying Yue's little face. She hastily bobbed her head and muttered a soft "en."

Xiao mama saw the little princess sitting on the wooden wheelchair smiling to her maid and couldn't help but remember about the deceased Imperial Consort Yao.

"Her highness third princess' features resemble her birth mother a lot...", she thought as she lifted her hand to order the sedan chair bearers and palace servants to halt.

Xiao mama stepped forward and bowed to the little princess, "This servant greets the third princess. Esteemed Empress Dowager has ordered us to pick her highness up. This old servant has already prepared a sedan chair."

Ying Yue: "Then this princess must thank Xiao mama for her hard work…"

Ching'er and Xiao mama carefully helped Ying Tue to get into the sedan chair. After they made sure that she had sat down properly, Xiao mama once again lifted her hand, ordering all the servants to turn back to the Moon Hall.

Inside the Moon Hall, Empress Dowager Ning had already finished her praying. Li mama rushed to help her stand up. 

"Has the third princess arrived yet?"

The third princess was always on time. But today, she hadn't arrived yet even though the morning prayer had ended. Did something happen?

Li mama was unsure of how to answer, but before she could open her mouth, the senior eunuch outside had already announced the princess's arrival.

Esteemed Empress Dowager Ning sighed in relief. Every day she got wind of how her granddaughter was bullied and humiliated by her other siblings and Imperial Father's harem members, she always felt distressed. 

But she herself was nothing but a widow of the late emperor. Her words alone weighed nothing in the eyes of the current emperor. 

The emperor disliked this daughter. She couldn't do much to change his mind. Only by putting the little princess under her wings, she could at least preventing the father from taking his own daughter's life.

Esteemed Empress Dowager Ning majestically stood in front of the door when Ying Yue got off the sedan chair with the help of Xiao mama and Ching'er. 

Xiao mama: "Third princess, Esteemed Empress Dowager is waiting for you at the door..."

1