Chapter 6. Killing Two Birds With One Stone
58 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The entire hall was in complete silence. Great General Xu had been guarded the Northen border since the regime of the late emperor. Not only he was a brilliant young general, he was also a talented scholar. 

In the past, there were rumors that he has an ambiguous relationship with Her Highness Empress Ning, which was now Esteemed, Empress Dowager Ning. It caused a chaotic state in the capital for a long while that the late emperor was forced to gave an edict that the young general had to guard the border and wasn't allowed to come back without Emperor's decree.

Esteemed Empress Dowager Ning sighed: "How long has it been? 20 years? Should this dowager feel happy about this matter or not? That person... this dowager only hopes that he has put down his ambition. The late emperor was no longer here. And the current emperor... sigh*" 

The silence inside the hall felt heavy. The two mamas and several palace servants didn't dare to lift their head while Ching'er shrunk her neck even deeper and moved closer to hide behind her little master.

The Empress Dowager continued as her eyes looked straight as if looking into a distant past, filled with melancholy: "Master once had predicted our future. I wonder... does he still remember?"

...

A pair of master and servant entered the Moon Hall. It was time for afternoon prayer and Ying Yue didn't want to miss it. As Esteemed Empress Dowager Ning said that she was tired and wanted to rest, Ying Yue could only leave to pray without her company. 

Perhaps, her Imperial Grandmother just wanted to be alone...

Ching'er lowered her voice and asked: "Princess, Esteemed Empress Dowager seems to have a close relationship with this Great General Xu?"

Ying Yue nodded but didn't answer. In fact, she never heard about the general. It was obvious that Imperial Grandmother didn't want her to know about the person. Or perhaps, about other matters as well. 

For years, she had been well protected by her Imperial Grandmother. It had already formed a habit for her to blindly trust the Empress Dowager with all her heart. Whatever her Imperial Grandmother decided for her, she believed that it was all for her own good...

Hence she told her little maid: "But this Great General Xu... perhaps, is not as kind and righteous as what our people had always said. That is why Imperial Grandmother never talk anything about him. So, remember not to mention him ever again!"

Ching'er thought that the third princess was right and made a gesture of zipping her mouth, completely forgot that her little master was blind...

__________

Ying Yue returned to her own pavilion before dinner. Usually, she would eat dinner together with her Imperial Grandmother, but this afternoon after her prayer, Li mama said that the Empress Dowager didn't have any appetite thus she told Ying Yue to quickly return before it rains.

Helping her master sat on a stool in the middle room of FuYun Pavilion, Ching'er stared at the dark clouds outside and wondered: "How come the sky suddenly become so dark? It was so bright this morning, yet raining all of a sudden."

A fragrant aroma of her favorite foods placed on the table entered her nostrils. Ying Yue reached out her hand and fumbled around the table, looking for her chopsticks while her stomach rumbled: "Imperial Grandmother once said, in this world, there are two things that are the most unpredictable. Nature and the human heart. Indeed, many experienced people can read the signs of natural phenomena to cope with every possibility of disaster. But in reality, nature can quickly change. If we could really predict nature, why were there still disasters that happened in our kingdom? It was the same thing with human hearts. Nobody can see what is hidden deep inside a person's heart."

Ching'er helped her to hold her chopsticks while nodded in agreement: "Mmn... That is indeed true. We usually ask those Grandmasters to predict everything. In farming, we ask them when is the right time to sow the seeds. Or we ask them when is the right time to sail our fishing boats. We also ask them whether there will be a drought or flood. Despite all the efforts, not every prediction will come true in the end. This servant remembers that year when our village drowned by the flood. It was raining heavily for days, yet they said that the village would be fine since the rain would stop after a day and two nights. Fortunately, there were no casualties. Losing our crops and some of our cattle was inevitable. But just imagine if we didn't leave a day before... This servant won't be here right now to serve you, Princess..."

Munching her food with delish, Ying Yue repeatedly bobbed her head: "That is why Imperial Grandmother told me that I have to learn well. Hence in this life, I can determine my own path."

Ching'er stared at her master bleakly: "..." You clearly know that studying is indeed necessary, yet still being lazy every day. What kind of path do you want to determine???

Then she remembered the matter with Her Highness Empress Zhao this morning. She glanced around to make sure that nobody is around to eavesdrop before asked with a lowered voice: "Princess, about Her Highness Empress Zhao, what do you think is her true purpose?"

Ying Yue halted her chopsticks movement. She could vaguely make a guess of what her Imperial Mother truly wants. With how the Empress Dowager doted on her, it would be difficult for her second imperial sister to get her Imperial Grandmother's attention. 

"What that person truly wants is the force behind Imperial Grandmother. It must be the Imperial Father who incited this matter. Two more years, the second imperial sister will reach the age available for marriage. As the most beloved daughter of his, Imperial Father must be already has a plan of who will be the best candidate to be her Prince Consort." 

Ching'er was a bit baffled: "But how can this matter related to the need of gaining control of Esteemed Empress Dowager's secret force?"

Exhaling deeply, Ying Yue put down her chopsticks. If she didn't hear today's report about Great General Xu and his family return to the capital, this small yet important issue would slip by just like that without anybody realizing it.

"Don't you hear gossip that my second imperial sister actually already has someone inside her heart? That she has been secretly in love with him for years?"

Ching'er mindlessly replied: "Mm... I think I heard that his name is Xu JingXin or something..."

Then as if she suddenly realized about something, her eyes enlarged like a bronze bell: "It can't be..."

Nodding her head, Ying Yue said: "He is the second son of Great General Xu born by his concubine..."

Ying Yue even further told her maid about what she heard about the person. His father loved his concubine mother so much, even more than the main wife. It was said that because of her appearance is a bit similar to the general's past love. Xu JingXin was also said to inherit most of his mother's features, causing him to be the general's most beloved son.

After reaching the age of twelve, his father let him joined the strongest army under his command to gain merits and solidify his foothold. He was indeed very talented and at the age of sixteen, he already become a famous young general that even greatly praised by His Majesty The Emperor.

"He already in the age suitable for marriage yet not a single girl can enter his eyes. What kind of girl do you think is suitable to be his wife? Do you think his father will let him marry any random girls without great influence? Even that Chu Lian from prime minister household is considered of being unfit to enter their door as a daughter-in-law."

Ching'er gasped in astonishment: "Then... then... his majesty is planning to..."

Ying Yue: "Only by gaining Imperial Grandmother's support will second imperial sister be able to meet Great General Xu's criteria of a suitable daughter-in-law. For my Imperial Father, it is like killing two birds with one stone."

For years, he had been wary of this secret force given by the late emperor to the Empress Dowager. As long as he could wrest this power from her, he would no longer worry about anything since nothing can be a treat for his throne anymore. 

He could finally be the true ruler of this land under heaven. Whatever he desired, nobody could stop him from grabbing it!

Furthermore, with Great General's beloved son marrying into Imperial Household, His Majesty The Emperor could gain control of their military strength. Whether the Great General agrees or not about the matter of his son enters the Imperial Household as a Prince Consort, the Emperor didn't put much thought for the time being as he still had many tricks up his sleeves.

__________

Author's note:

Dear readers,

I am sorry for the late update. I have problems with the electricity and internet connection because of a small disaster. Heavy rain and strong wind had caused flood and damaged many properties in my area. My house included. A flying tree had wrecked my roof and kitchen. So... I must help my parents and brother to tidy up the house and do small repairs. Sigh* I don't know why, but this year's climate is not good. When it was dry season, it was unbearably hot that the soil cracked and we had difficulties to get clean water for our daily needs. When it finally rain, it was heavy that it caused flood in many places. Don't forget about the strong wind... My poor house (T_T)

Okay... I'll stop with this blabbering. Let's just enjoy the story...

1