0. Prologue
6 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue


I gazed at the endless array of stars in the ripping sky and felt as though the world had left me behind. The constellations forming lines in my mind, the sparkling of each and every star screaming into existence: In this dreary world of the destitute, amusement was scarce. Our days were consumed by the grueling labor of tilling fields and eking out our existence. But when the sun set and darkness enveloped our humble abode, we found solace in the shimmering celestial tapestry above. Night after night, we gaped at the starry expanse, weaving our dreams into the twinkling constellations that offered a glimmer of hope in an otherwise bleak reality.

But every night, one star catches my eye—a ravishing cobalt light shining like freedom in the gloaming. It was a star that burned with a fierce blue flame. And yet, it never moved. It was as though the star itself was frozen in time.

"Are you staring at that star again?" My wife, Aisha, nudged me awake.

"What? No," I said, shaking my head.

She raised her eyebrows in surprise. "You are. You keep looking at that star."

I sighed. "It's just a star, Aisha. Why do you always think the worst of me?"

"Because you're always staring at that star!"

"And why not? It's a beautiful star."

A mischievous grin spread across Aisha's face as she leaned in, her breath against my ear. "Then let's make a wish."

"A wish?" I looked at her, confused. "It's not a shooting star, though."

"No, silly. We'll wish on it."

"Oh. I suppose it's worth a try."

As we stood there, we walked towards the star, whose incandescence was so intense it cast deep shadows upon the ground. Aisha and I drew closer, and with a gentle gesture, she joined her hands together, closing her eyes as she began to speak in a hushed tone.

"May this star grant us a child. May he be a prince of beauty and intelligence with all the luck in the world. May he be blessed with opportunities even those of royalty seek."

"Uh, right... What she said."

My words sounded hollow compared to hers. She continued speaking while gazing up at the star. Her voice grew stronger, more confident; then, as if on cue, tears started to roll down her cheeks, like glistening jewels reflecting the star's radiance.

"Let him have everything his heart desires. Let him live free from any worry or care! He must be strong enough to fight injustice and unfairness. Oh, please, may he find happiness..."

Her lips trembled, and her body quaked. All at once, she fell forward onto her knees. Then, still sobbing, she reached out toward the star, clutching its cool surface until her fingers went numb.

I wasn't sure how, but that star appeared to gleam with an added brilliance tonight.

3