2. To The City
11 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2. To The City


Fate has plans for everyone. For some, those plans may take decades or centuries to reveal themselves. Others might find their destinies revealed in a single instant, depending on the choices they make.

For me, however, destiny came knocking quite unexpectedly—and violently.

I awoke suddenly, gasping for breath as sweat dripped down my brow. My whole body trembled uncontrollably as I fought to control my breathing. The nightmare left me feeling weak and helpless, yet I couldn't help but feel relieved. Finally, I realized where I was: lying in my bed in my room. I sat upright, blinking rapidly, trying to calm my racing heartbeat. Eventually, my pulse slowed, allowing me to relax once more.

"I've never heard you scream like that," murmured a familiar voice from the doorway. "Are you okay?"

Mother stepped forward, kneeling next to my bedside. I glanced over at her. Her normally flawless complexion was marred with streaks of dirt. She wore a plain cotton tunic similar to mine, but hers was darker in color, fading into gray.

"Sorry... I had another bad dream," I replied quietly. "Didn't mean to wake you."

"That's alright; I was going to wake you anyway." She reached out and placed her hand on my shoulder. "And nightmares happen. Sometimes it helps just to talk things out."

I hesitated, unsure if I should open up about my dreams. After all, they rarely occurred anymore and never seemed like the dreams of other kids. Yet something compelled me to speak freely with her. To let go of the fear and anxiety that plagued my mind. So I did.

"No matter what, I always see that one star in the sky. It's beautiful. Like it wants to shine brighter than the rest. And I keep thinking, 'Why can't it?' I wish I could reach it, touch it."

She squeezed my shoulder reassuringly. "Well, you shouldn't worry too much about it, Eden. You'll figure it out eventually. Someday soon, perhaps."

I sighed deeply, resting my chin on the edge of my pillow. "Do you ever wonder where we come from? Or who we really are?"

Mother cocked her head curiously, studying me intently. "Of course. Who wouldn't?"

I frowned at her response. "Not everyone wonders about stuff like that."

She chuckled softly, shaking her head. "Maybe not everyone does. But I'm sure many do. There is a lot of mystery surrounding this world, after all. People try to explain it using science and mathematics. Perhaps someday we will learn exactly how it works. Until then, however, I think it makes sense to assume there is more to existence than meets the eye."

I snorted. "Yeah, I suppose."

"You should eat your breakfast now. Your dad lent our neighbors horsecart earlier today, and he needs to return it before dusk." Mother stood up and began walking towards the door.

My stomach growled audibly, interrupting our conversation. I got out of bed, rubbing my eyes tiredly. A yawn escaped my lips as I made my way downstairs.

Our kitchen was small but well-lit, thanks to the large windows facing south. An oil lamp hung above a table littered with dirty dishes and food scraps. Several wooden crates were stacked against the wall, providing additional storage space for extra provisions. In the center of the floor, a pot bubbled vigorously atop the stove, releasing steam into the air. The aroma wafted through the entire house.

"Morning!" Father greeted me cheerfully, sitting at the counter sipping from his cup. He was wearing his usual work attire consisting of a pair of loose trousers and a long-sleeved tunic. His hair was tied back, revealing a thin beard that ran across his jawline.

He turned toward me. "Hey buddy, you're awake early today."

I nodded. "Yes sir."

Father smiled warmly. "How are you doing? Feeling better?"

I shrugged. "Fine."

His smile broadened. "Good to hear."

Mother approached from the other side of the room, carrying a plate piled high with porridge topped with dried fruits. She set it down in front of me without saying anything else, taking care not to spill any onto herself or her clothing. I thanked her and picked up my spoon, scooping out some of the hot oatmeal into my mouth. Its flavor reminded me of cinnamon mixed with a hint of nutmeg. Delicious!

"Eat slowly. Don't rush yourself," advised Father. "Your body needs fuel to function properly."

I nodded and continued eating, savoring every bite. When finished, I wiped my hands clean on a cloth napkin and took a sip of water.

"Thank you, Mom," I said gratefully.

She gave me a quick hug. "Help your father ready up the wagon, won't you?"

I nodded obediently and followed him outside. The morning air felt refreshing compared to the stuffy interior of our cottage. Birds chirped merrily overhead. Sunlight filtered through the branches of nearby trees. It cast dancing shadows upon the ground below.

It was peaceful. Serene. Beautiful.

We pushed the cart out of our barnyard, heading westward along the road that led to Anastille. Soon enough, the fields around us vanished, replaced by forests of trees. Small streams trickled beneath the earth, disappearing underground.

The horizon stretched far ahead of us. Clouds floated lazily between the mountains beyond. As we drew closer, the sight of the distant peaks grew clearer and more distinct. The towering stone formations appeared like jagged teeth-baring fangs. Thick layers of snow blanketed their tops, reflecting the sunlight.

Beyond the mountain range, the clouds gradually cleared away, exposing patches of blue sky. At times, the rays of sunshine peeked out from under them, casting bright beams of light across the landscape. Other times, the skies darkened, threatening to bring a storm.

At last, we arrived at our destination. The kingdom of Anastille lay nestled amidst verdant hills and thick forests. The capital city sprawled across a vast plateau, surrounded by a ring of myriad soaring towers. One was taller than the others, its peak reaching several hundred feet higher into the heavens. From afar, I could clearly distinguish its shape: a massive crown encrusted with jewels. The structure was crowned with a golden dome, which shimmered in the afternoon sunlight.

As we neared the outskirts of town, houses, and shops lined both sides of the street. Unlike most cities in our region, Anastille boasted a sizable population.

The citizens possessed abundant harvests, fertile soil, and bountiful rivers flowing throughout the land. The locals also prospered economically due to the abundance of trade routes connecting the kingdoms with the continent. With so many merchants visiting the area regularly, goods were easily transported to markets abroad.

"Your mother said you needed thicker clothes?" asked Father as he looked over my outfit.

I nodded. "Yep. My stars sometimes glow through my shirt."

Father scratched his cheek, pondering the issue. Then he pulled out his pocket watch and examined it closely before speaking again. "Alright, I know someone who sells good quality woolen garments. Let's stop by her shop first."

We entered the nearest marketplace, passing rows of stalls selling everything imaginable. Vendors called out their products loudly, attracting customers' attention. Many of the items on display were unfamiliar to me. Some sold bread and fresh vegetables, while others displayed various types of meat. Still, others offered fruit and nuts. All sorts of colorful spices, herbs, and sauces filled glass jars.

Several people milled about the market. Men and women dressed in fine clothing hurried past us, hurrying off to their respective destinations. Occasionally, children dashed in and out of storefronts, looking excited about buying new toys or sweets. Everyone moved fast, intent on getting wherever they were headed as quickly as possible. They paid little heed to anyone else, whether friend or stranger. Their minds were preoccupied with thoughts of wealth and prosperity.

Eventually, Father stopped near a building painted red with white trim. The sign hanging above read "Dorothy's Woolens". A bell chimed when he opened the door, announcing our arrival.

A middle-aged woman emerged from behind the counter and welcomed us inside. Her face bore wrinkles, making her appear older than she probably was. Despite her age, however, her eyes sparkled brightly with energy. She wore a simple dress with sleeves rolled halfway up her forearm. Brown wisps of hair framed her round face and fell across her forehead.

"Welcome to my store. What can I get for you today?"

"Hello, Mrs. Dorothy," responded Father politely. "Could you get my son a..."

As he spoke, my attention was abruptly drawn to something or perhaps someone outside. My thoughts were pulled away from the present moment, fixating on an external entity that seemed to be calling out to me. Something within me urged me to follow it. I wanted nothing more than to obey, but I couldn't help feeling curious about my surroundings.

Mrs. Dorothy interrupted my train of thought. "Oh yes, Mr. Lamina," she exclaimed enthusiastically, looking at me. "What would you like for your young man?"

Her question snapped me back to reality. "Uhm... I don't know. How about these?"

I pointed to a darker coat whose color would swallow the glow. It was made of thick wool, almost black in color. "They seem nice."

Mr. Lamina shook his head. "Those coats are very expensive. We'd need to save up quite a bit to buy one."

Mrs. Dorothy laughed heartily. "Don't worry about money, dear. I have plenty left over. Just take whatever you want."

I grinned widely at her generous offer. "Really?! Thank you so much!"

She winked knowingly. "Only because Mr. Lamina has been such a good customer over the years. Just make sure to pay me back later, alright?"

"I guess that works," sighed father hesitantly.

It called out to me again. This time, I knew it wasn't just my imagination playing tricks on me. Whatever it was, it beckoned me forward, urging me to explore further.

"Hey! Eden! Come back," shouted my father as I dashed away. "You still haven't tried it on yet."

I ignored him. My curiosity compelled me to move onward until I reached another building. I stared blankly at the sign above its entrance—a tall tower shaped like a castle. Its walls were covered with ivy vines, adding to its charm.

An odd sensation washed over me as soon as I stepped foot inside. A strange aura permeated the atmosphere, causing my mind to feel heavy and sluggish. The air itself had a peculiar odor reminiscent of rotting garbage. It stank horribly, but strangely, it didn't bother me too much. Instead, I found myself drawn deeper and deeper inside.

The interior of the store consisted mostly of shelves containing a variety of books and rocks with runes chiseled into them. There were no windows, leaving the place dim and gloomy. The only source of illumination came from two lamps mounted on the ceiling with strange symbols etched into each bulb.

Nestled in the center of the space stood a magnificent table adorned with a rich lapis blue hue and embellished with opulent golden borders. The table stood as a beacon of grandeur, commanding attention in a room of dread. Atop stood similar rocks connected to each other with a trail of kindled dust, their runes glimmering lightly.

Despite their fervent setup, all their energy culminated in a minuscule gem that shone with a subtle yet irresistible allure. The gem sat before them, glimmering faintly as it seemed to hold within it the promise of something far greater than its diminutive size would suggest.

"Isn't it fascinating?" asked a voice from somewhere deep within the cavernous chamber.

Startled, I turned toward the sound.

It was an elderly man clad in a cloak of midnight blue, which enveloped his entire form except for the tips of his fingers, which protruded from beneath. His skin was pale, resembling frosted marble, giving him the appearance of a ghostly apparition. His long beard and mustache resembled cobwebs, weaving together like strands of spider silk.

"Who are you?" I inquired nervously. "You're like... different."

"I'm a sorcerer." He smiled gently, pointing at me. "But the one who's different: Is you."

2