7. The Audition
370 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Read the next chapter of Thorne's Lance on my Patreon!


7. The Audition

Seeing footage of the Titan was one thing. Seeing him in person was something else entirely.

It didn’t take long at all for Jessica to set something up - a friendly tour of the Hero Alliance HQ, showing the rookie hero all the facilities he could look forward to using if he was ever willing to join their ranks. Spider-Woman did most of the talking of course. Diana spent most of the time observing the young man, studying his face, his expressions, his body language… and his body.

He was a work of art. There was simply no other way to put it. Though not quite as tall as the likes of Thor or Superman, the Titan more than made up for it with the sheer immaculate perfection of his figure. Chest, shoulders, arms, abs, legs, none of them were bulging with muscle like he was some meathead. No, the Titan was not so unseemly. Not at all. As clichéd as it was to say, the man looked like he was chiseled from marble. Flawless in body, in the way he moved. Cool, calm confidence. Like fluid.

Diana had spent years in the presence of gods and demigods and even she couldn’t deny the allure of the man before her. He was stunning, almost in the way the goddess Aphrodite was. But only in the way a man could be. Even his eyes, orbs of brilliant silver, captivated her such that she'd never quite experienced before.

He exuded power, strength - but it didn’t feel wild or untempered. He looked young, virile, but at the same time, his nature seemed that of something more ancient, elemental. Diana’s curiosity was piqued the moment she saw him in the flesh.

And as each second ticked by, they came closer and closer to the main event. A friendly spar between heroes.

Needless to say, the Princess of the Amazons was eager to see what the Titan could do.

But where Diana felt eagerness, excitement… the Titan appeared relaxed. Almost casual in his demeanor, despite his wide-eyed wonder as they led him through the halls of their headquarters.

The young man was grinning like a schoolboy as they passed again through the main foyer - it seemed he would never get tired of seeing the towering statues of Earths’ Mightiest Heroes. Superman, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, even Wonder Woman herself, all standing tall in solid silver, symbolizing the indomitable nature of their commitment to heroism. From what Diana could see in the Titan’s eyes, it was like he was observing giant action figures.

“Wow.” He muttered. When he faced Diana and Jessica again, he chuckled, shaking his head. “Pretty nice facilities you got here. Real cutting edge stuff.”

“Just wait until you see the simulation chamber.” Jessica smiled back, striding a short distance ahead of the party. Leading them towards the chamber in question. “It’s crazy how real it looks.”

“Feels pretty crazy right now.” Said the Titan, crossing his arms. Diana caught him throwing her a brief, sidelong glance. She stifled a smile of her own, keeping her chin held high. “I only just started this hero stuff a few days ago and now I’m taking a walk through Hero Alliance HQ? Talk about moving up in the world.”

Taking the chance to cut in, Diana set a hand on the young hero’s shoulder. Even through his silver suit, she could feel how taut and splendidly firm the muscle there was.

“The Justice League and the Avengers are always on the lookout for fresh talent.” Diana declared, strong and warm at the same time. She finally offered the younger man a smirk. “Needless to say, your heroic activities caught our attention.”

Jessica slowed down ahead of them, letting Diana and their guest catch up. She turned around, now walking backwards nice and slow. She clasped her gloved hands before her lap - Diana could tell the Spider-Woman was brimming with excitement. An eagerness for what was coming up soon.

“It’s pretty hard for us to ignore a man of your caliber. As Stark likes to say, the good guys could always use more heavy hitters.” Jessica added, doing a poor job of hiding how her eyes roamed up and down the rookie hero’s body. Though the man in question didn’t seem to mind. 

Of course he doesn’t. He’s a man. And he’s already slept with her.

“You trying to make me blush?” Asked the rookie hero, more teasing than accusing. 

I’m going to be making you do a lot more than that in a few minutes…

He flashed a toothy smile, his bright eyes dancing between Jessica and Diana. Though the Amazon caught some tension in his posture, something she wrote off as boyish modesty.

“She only speaks the truth. And you have nothing to be bashful about. You use your power for the benefit of the world, to protect the innocent. Be proud of your heroics.” Diana urged, more passion than intended bleeding into her words. She let her hand linger on his shoulder before drawing it back. 

She shared a brief look with Jessica then, the spider-themed heroine shooting her a meaningful smirk before turning and leading them through a set of automatic steel doors. Now they were in a long, brightly lit hallway - the walls, floor, and ceiling were all sterile white. At the end Diana could see another set of steel doors. Beyond them lied the control and observation room for the simulation chamber.

“Down this way.” Jessica motioned for their guest to follow. Diana moved forward to join her, leading the younger man together. “I’m sure you’re eager to see how the cape community does their training.”

“You said something about simulations?” Asked their guest.

“Yeah.” Jessica tossed a smirk over her shoulder, humming. “You’re going to get a kick out if it. Trust me.”

The Titan followed close behind. Diana could feel his eyes upon her and Jessica as they walked. Admiring their legs, their rear ends… Normally, Diana might have found it obnoxious. But being desired by the Titan… Diana found it oddly flattering. Thrilling even.

The next set of steel doors slid open, revealing the control and observation room. A row of computer terminals lined the far wall. And beyond the screens, large glass windows that rose from floor to ceiling. Giving the three a view into an enormous open space. An empty white box several hundred meters wide and several dozen stories tall. It was a marvel of engineering and technology - and housed all underground no less!

“Woah…” The Titan was genuinely impressed - he had to be if he was no longer enchanted with Wonder Woman’s hips and ass. When he finally tore his eyes away from the simulation chamber, all he gave Diana and Jessica was an incredulous smile.

The younger man shifted on his feet then, looking boyishly nervous. And indeed, he looked boyish. He looked fresh-faced in the footage on TV, but now that she was seeing him in person… Diana couldn’t imagine he was much older than a college student. He approached her then, offering his hand to shake.

“I just wanted to say thank you. For the tour and for… this invitation. It’s an honor to be here talking with you, Wonder Woman.”

Not just handsome. Cute, too. 

Diana narrowed her eyes some as she shook his hand. It was hard for her to imagine this fresh-faced rookie as the same stud who rocked Jessica’s world.

“Please, call me Diana. And don’t thank me yet. We’ve yet to have our friendly spar.” She let the words hang, fighting to keep her smile from curling into the devious smirk she hid just beneath. But Diana caught a look in the younger man’s eyes. A flash of something a good deal less innocent than the “aw, shucks” persona she had seen from him thus far. It was eagerness. The same as Diana’s. But it was colored with something darker, baser. 

Hunger.

He gave her hand a squeeze. Not hard, like he wanted something to prove about his strength. It was a gentler sort, more teasing. Affectionate, even. His hand lingered upon hers before he drew it back. And so too did the warmth of his touch.

Diana blinked. But before she could even think to say something, Jessica’s voice was cutting in.

“I’ll get the simulation warmed up. It should only take a minute.” The Spider-Woman motioned for Diana and the Titan to take the elevator off to the side. Though she did take a moment to share a look with the Amazonian princess. A knowing look. Even behind Jessica’s mask, it was clear. “You two have fun. But try not to bang up the sim chamber too much. Stark doesn’t like it when you break his toys.”

Diana and their guest did as they were told - though the Titan stood aside, making a point to let Diana enter the elevator first. With any other man, Diana would have rolled her eyes or even insisted they go first instead. But once more, where other men were obnoxious, the Titan was cute, charming.

The Princess of the Amazons entered first with a smile. The Titan followed after. The doors of the elevator closed shut. The two heroes stood shoulder to shoulder. So close. Close enough that they brushed together. And whenever they did… Diana felt pleased.

Diana kept her head held high. She breathed in, filling up on fresh, cool air. But the warmth didn’t go away.

Taking on the Titan, she mused as the elevator brought them down, down, down to the floor of the sim chamber. Her eyes flashed to the side, taking in the younger man’s profile. She took a moment to admire.

Let’s hope you’re as talented as Jessica says, Rookie.


Wonder Woman and the Titan stood apart, facing each other. There were twenty or so feet between them. They stood and they waited.

A moment later, the simulation chamber came alive with shape and color. All around them, spires rose from the ground, barreling up into the open air. And as they did, more details faded into existence. Brick, concrete, steel, and glass. The spires took on more colors, more features, until they became the towering Art Deco skyscrapers they were meant to be.

Back on the ground, the same happened around Diana and the rookie. The floor shifted and changed color, becoming asphalt streets and concrete sidewalks. Street signs popped out of the ground like lone stalks of corn. The ground floor of the newly born buildings warped into cafes, restaurants, bookstores, and other shops.

In the span of a few seconds, the empty simulation chamber became a downtown city hub. Somewhat bustling, too - thanks to the advanced programming. Down the street, Diana could see cars driving slowly along. Even the stoplights worked as they did out in the real world. The ambient noise of urban living filled the cool air.

Across from her, Diana could see that her handsome guest was quite thoroughly impressed.

“Woah.” He said, turning slowly to take in the full scope of the simulation. He craned his head back, staring up at the skyscrapers that loomed over them both. He let out a short huff of disbelief. “I know this city. Metropolis, right?”

“The very same.” Diana nodded, grinning. She shifted on her feet, not letting herself relax. Their spar was about to begin.

“Now this is cutting edge.” The Titan continued. He stepped over to one of the parked cars that lined the street. He reached out and ran his fingers over one of the darkened windows. Diana knew he felt resistance, like the car was actually there. He laughed again. “Cool stuff. Holograms?”

“Holograms projected onto hard light skeletons. Coded to move, shift, and even break the way the material it simulates would in real life.” Diana explained. She breathed in deep, settling her nerves. 

“Must have cost a fortune.” He said, tapping the glass with his knuckles.

“Starks likes to remind us every chance he gets. But it’s an invaluable tool. Our members train in here for hours, running through every crisis scenario imaginable. Bank robberies, hostage situations, monster attacks, even natural disasters like floods and earthquakes. And on occasion… we use it for sparring.”

The Titan looked up then, meeting her gaze. He held there for a short time, then nodded. He got the message.

She watched the younger man with sharp eyes, waiting for him to return to the spot directly across from her.

When he did, he was smirking. His silver eyes shone with excitement as he stood before her. Diana caught the tension striking through his perfect body, the faint shifting of his musculature under his tight suit. Like her, he was ready for a bout.

“This is one hell of an arena.” He rolled his shoulders. Diana noted how the material of his suit clung to every muscle. When she brought her eyes back up to his face, she saw him wearing the devil’s own smile. “Are you sure you don’t want me to hold me back?”

“I’d be insulted if you did.”

“Alright then. We’re doing this full force. But remember… you did ask for it.”

Diana gave a snort.

“An Amazon always knows what she wants. Now let’s see what the Titan can do.”

The battle began in earnest… with Diana immediately launching herself forward. Like a missile, she shot through the air, slamming into the Rookie’s chest. The impact was hard, heavy - a mortal would have been killed instantly, but for the Titan all it did was knock the air out of his lungs.

They both carried on through the air, flying backwards together at high speed. An instant later, they collided with a building wall, shattering through glass windows, carrying on through plaster walls, concrete foundations. Diana kept her hands planted on the younger man’s chest as they tumbled onto the ground. They rolled, rolled, shoulders, elbows slamming into the floor and tearing out chunks - both of their invincible bodies digging through concrete like butter.

Diana slammed the Titan down onto his back. He slid across the ground - the both of them barreling through another wall and back onto the street. When they finally came to a stop, Diana could hear the sound of crumbling concrete and groaning steel behind her. But her eyes were fixed on the Titan, the young man pinned beneath her.

The only sign of their little tumble was his slightly messy hair. Otherwise, she hadn’t left a single mark on him. His skin, his suit, all pristine.

He really is a flying brick…

“Starting off with the hard stuff, huh?” The rookie hero quipped, flashing Diana a dopey grin despite her boots planted on his gut.

“It’s the only way to start, Titan.” Diana huffed, bringing one boot up to his chest. She pressed down with her leg, pinning him flat to the ground.

“You can call me Lance. Lance Thorne.” He offered, all friendly-like. Then he grabbed her by the ankle and gave a shove.

An instant later, Diana was in the air. Dozens and dozens of feet above the ground. The wind rushing at her back, through her hair, told her the speed with which she flew. But then there was a deep THOOM coming from down below. And in the blink of an eye, the Titan - Lance - was up in the air right alongside her. And he was smirking.

Time slowed down. Seconds stretched out into moments as Diana took note of how Lance levitated before her. She’d seen footage of his ability to fly. Was it some sort of telekinesis, she wondered, or perhaps more magical in nature? Diana realized she would have to ask him herself - whenever she got the chance.

Lance returned the favor with interest when he tackled Diana into the neighboring skyscraper. Creating his own force, his own leverage with his power of flight, he launched himself into the Amazonian Princess, his arms wrapping around her waist as he punched them both through glass and steel. Tearing through the material as if it were wet cardboard.

Like before, the two of them carried on through the air, tangled together as they came erupting out the other side of the building. Shards of glass, bits of cement, concrete, plaster, they rained down with them, dribbling down from the gaping hole of destruction left in their wake. 

Diana elbowed hard at Lance’s back as they plummeted down to the ground, but the younger man gave her nothing. No grunts, no twisting in discomfort. Either he was mentally above pain or her blows weren’t doing a damn thing. Diana didn’t get a chance to dwell on it. The two heroes impacted the ground a moment later. 

Now it was Diana’s turn to feel the air forced from her lungs. She landed hard on her back, striking solid, simulated earth and sliding several dozen feet with the Titan still holding firm to her waist. Diana grunted, working her legs upwards, managing to plant her boots right on her opponent’s gut. With a cry, she put all the strength she could manage into launching him up and off of her - sending the younger man tumbling over her head.

Racing to her feet, Diana turned just in time to see the Titan crash through a large, stone water fountain. His bulk continued to roll and tumble on through a couple of trees, shattering trunks and splintering bark.

A quick glance around told Diana they had landed in a recreation of Centennial Park. A nice, wide open space amidst the glass and concrete jungle of the Metropolis city center. 

Several meters away, Diana could see the Titan stumble to his feet. The dazed look on his face was the first sign she’d seen that her attacks had any sort of effect. As the younger man found his footing again, Diana remained tense for the counterattack. Her heart was racing now. But not out of fear. Diana was instead feeling the pleasant thrill of genuine competition.

Testing her strength and skill against such a heavy hitter, even a young and inexperienced one, was beyond tantalizing. And it certainly didn’t hurt that her rival was more than pleasing to the eye.

Perfect face. Perfect body. Gods, he even smells good…

“You’re strong.” Diana called out to him, watching with eager eyes as he regained his focus. To her delight, he didn’t attack immediately. Instead, she could see the humor in his eyes as he slowly floated over to her. Again, she wondered just how his abilities worked. “How did you get your powers? Or were you born like this?”

Lance touched back to the ground, rolling his wide, firm shoulders again. Diana herself stepped out of the crater of dark earth they had formed. They came together, but kept some distance between them. A couple feet - perhaps out of caution. The spar was technically still on, after all.

“Would you believe me if I told you I was made in a lab?” Lance wore a blithe grin.

Diana let out a short laugh.

“I’ve heard stranger stories.”

The spar resumed with vigor as the Amazon struck first, launching her fist at her rival’s handsome face. The blow was blocked, her fist caught in his larger hand - stopping her punch cold. Diana didn’t have the time to be shocked, launching another attack with her free hand. This time striking at his gut. Her blow connected with a solid thud - against solid muscle. Diana fought back a wince. The Titan’s body was like steel. Stronger, actually.

With a grunt, he shoved her back. She kept her balance, her heeled boots digging into the earth as she slid. They came together again, trading strikes that were as fast as lightning. Some connected, but most were blocked or deflected. Neither hero gave any ground. The sounds of their blows boomed through the empty park, echoing off the towering spires that surrounded them. But as the fight went on, Diana’s notions of them being evenly matched slowly faded away.

His strikes were heavy, powerful, leaving Diana feeling dull pain even through the enchanted armor of her red bodice. She would grit her teeth and fight to keep the winces from flashing across her face. Her own blows against him were just as solid - in fact, she probably landed the most strikes out of the two. But the Titan didn’t blink, or even so much as make a sound. Like he didn’t feel her blows at all.

The Titan may have been a rookie, but Diana was starting to realize the truth. The younger hero had the edge over her. In strength and durability.

Diana didn’t feel irked by this. She didn’t even feel impressed. More than anything, the fact that her rival was stronger made Diana feel… excited.

Lance had caught both of her fists now, one in each hand. Forcing a snarl, Diana pushed against him with all her strength. Lance, on the other hand, kept a calm, even expression. His bright, silver eyes twinkled with curiosity. 

“So… is this an audition or something?” He inquired, putting on an easy smile. Diana would have shaken her head - the feigned innocence was shameless. But also cute.

“Among other things.” Diana grunted, wrenching her hands free. She stood, her whole body tense as she awaited the next attack. But it never came. She could see on Lance’s face that his curiosity was genuine. Diana figured then that it was time to speak the truth. “This was mostly to sate my curiosity. I’ve heard many things about you, Lance Thorne.”

The Titan quirked his lips.

“Good things, I hope?”

“Interesting things.” Diana crossed her arms, cocking her hip to the side. She took some time to draw her eyes up and down his figure. There was no way he could miss her meaning then. “Spider-Woman sings many praises of you. And she’s not a woman so easily impressed.”

Lance nodded, beginning to pace slowly before her.

“Well… I did save her life.”

Diana snorted.

“From what she told me… you did a lot more than that.” Her voice dropped low, turning smooth, warm. Her interest was clear now, coloring her lips, her eyes, seeping into her body, into her posture. Tension for battle was replaced with a new sort. Her heart continued to race, but the heat in her blood was deeper, more simmering.

Lance caught her change in demeanor just fine. He grinned, his silver eyes so captivating as they drank her in. He drew closer. So close now. His body, his beautiful face… inches away.

“This wasn’t just a friendly spar, was it Diana?” He asked her. His voice was low, deep, rumbling. Just as perfect as the rest of him. Diana breathed in deeply through her nose. His scent only had her heart racing faster.

“No.” Diana answered smiling. Her belly coiled so deliciously.

It was crazy, absurd for her to feel this way for a man. Even worse that it was a man she had only just met. But Diana couldn’t deny the desire that had been building ever since he arrived for the tour. There was just… something about him. Something that drew Diana’s gaze and held it. It was like he was the only man in the world.

Lance looked her in the eyes, like he was searching for something. Then his own gaze softened. Satisfied. He smiled so brilliantly it made Diana’s heart ache.

“Good.”

Before she could react, Diana felt his arms - his big, strong arms - snaking around her waist, drawing her close. Before her, there was only Lance. Only the Titan. The perfect man. His warmth, his touch, his scent. They were all that mattered.

He kissed her. Long and deep. A split second after their lips locked together, Diana felt a rush of joy, electric thrills coiling through her body. So wonderful, so perfect that it made her head spin. Her own arms moved of their own accord, rising to wrap around his neck. She moaned into his mouth, sinking into the splendid warmth of their embrace. Then she felt his hands move from the small of her back. They began to roam.

Diana did not stop him. A desire buried deep had climbed out of the depths of her soul. It slithered up into her mind, it’s wicked sweetness tasting so exquisite upon her lips… and Lance’s as well.

She was an Amazon. She had always known what she wanted.

And it was time she found a man who wasn’t afraid to take her.

12