Prologue
134 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue

A luxurious black and gold gilded Horse-drawn carriage travels along a narrow ancient stone bridge covered in moss and flowers that grow from cracks. A mighty river spanning one kilometer in width flows nearly fifty meters below. A small boy of 8 years of age leans out of the carriage to take in the view. His face is chubby with a bronze complexion and short curly glossy black hair. They reflect the vast valley filled with an ancient forest surrounded by several majestic snow-covered mountains.

"Da! Are we there yet?" The young boy asked the man controlling the two Black Stallions from the driver's seat in front of the carriage.

"Will get there by nightfall, Nero."

"I hope it is on one of those snowy mountains. I want to play in the snow."

"Our new home is on the tallest Mountain. But the village is somewhere below the snow belt. If you go higher, then you will find it difficult to breathe or freezing temperature."

"Aww... I hope there are children to play with."

"There might be, but they won't understand our language."

"Why? Are they dumb?"

"Haha! No... this bridge marks the end of the Empire's domain. On the other side is the wildlands. It is full of ferocious beasts and bandits. The people here speak in the old tongues the Empire drove out during the Era of Conquest."

"But Mama came from here and spoke like us, right?"

"She... had to learn to fit in the Capitol."

His father's voice sounded sad and hoarse. The man resembles his son, but his hair is pure white, and his irises are crimson. The left eye is covered by a black leather eye patch. There is a red Tattoo of a human Skull with Ram Horns on his forehead. It is glowing and spreading its demonic design across his face.

"Da! You don't sound right. Is your face paint hurting you again?" The boy couldn't see his father's face, but he could tell what was troubling him.

"Don't worry about me. Just look at the view and enjoy the ride. Your mother's family will be looking forward to seeing you."

"I hope they have baby animals. Mama used to say she grew up with Wolves, Bears, and Eagles."

"She comes from an ancient line of Summoners. They have to raise their animals from babies to make a contract with them. They might even give you one or two infant animals to raise."

"Are Summoners a type of Mage?"

"Summoners are not technically mages. They make magical contracts with beasts to store and summon them to ride or aid them in battle."

"Wow! But I want to be a powerful mage like you when I grow up."

"The Emperor gave me the title of Royal Battle Mage, but I am not a real Mage."

"Then how did you defeat his Grand Mage?"

"My blood... is special because I am the last pure descendant of a... hero born before the Age of Legends. Which is why I can wield a power that a Mage will never be able to replicate."

"Wow! I wish I could have seen you in action, but those stupid guards wouldn't let me out of my room. Can you show me when we get to Mama's hometown?"

"The Emperor put a seal on my abilities after the last battle as punishment for killing his Grand Mage."

"Aww! I will never get to see it?"

"You carry half my blood in your veins. One day it might awaken and give you some of my abilities. You must hide it, or the Emperor will seal it like mine."

"Stupid Emperor! Doesn't he have enough power of his own?"

"Our power is a threat to the Emperor. We should be glad that he let us live in exile."

"When I grow up! I will become an Emperor and make him say sorry."

"Hahaha! I admire your ambition. But I hope you can lead a simple life of a Summoner and never have to worry about the Emperor."

"Sounds boring... Can I become a Battle Mage and take part in wars?"

"Well, it's not impossible. If you are lucky, there is a chance your body will create a Magic Core in your heart. It will gather Mana from the environment, refine it and mix it with your blood. Without a Magic Core, you will never be able to absorb Mana and cast spells."

"I hope I get one!"

"If you do, I will enroll you in the Spell Academy on Trinity Island."

"Will I be able to make friends there, Da?"

The boy waited for his father to answer, but the Horses neighed in panic. His father jumps off the carriage and draws his sword.

"Da! What is wrong!"

"Assassins! That bastard never intended to let us live! Hide in the forest and wait for me!"

His father screams as he slaps the back of one of the Black Stallions to urge it to run. The driverless carriage bolts forward with the boy in the back seat.

"He spotted us? Damn it! Everyone kill him and his pup!"

Assassins climb over the side railings of the bridge with crossbows which they quickly aim. Their arrows strike over a dozen times into the boy's father. Each hit forces his legs to take a step back until he falls over the side of the bridge.

"Noooo!"

Nero screams as a dozen more assassins appear at the end of the bridge. The driverless carriage is heading straight toward them. They fire their arrows at the Horses, causing the animals to collapse. The momentum of the carriage is too great for it to stop, so it flips over and flings its sole passenger over the side of the stone bridge.

"Aaaahhhhh!"

The assassins hear the boy scream as he falls into the chasm and disappears into the river at the bottom.

"Let's report that the job is done."

"But we were supposed to bring their heads as proof of the kill."

"Then you go down there and search for their heads."

As the Assassins argued about what they should do. The boy's squashed bloody body floats down the small river. It travels several kilometers before a Harpy Eagle snatches it from the river and drops it on a white gravel river bank. But before the Eagle could feast on the corpse, it slowly gets up before attacking the bird.

The Harpy Eagle screams in fear and fails to flee before it is pinned down by the corpse that starts ripping away the feathers on its back and consuming the exposed flesh beneath.

The screams of the Harpy Eagle and the crunching of bones fill the air for a minute. The bird is being eaten alive. The cold mangled body of the boy starts to heal until he is restored. Once the transformation is done, the boy snaps the bird's neck before falling asleep. A small Tattoo of a Human Skull with Ram Horns appears on his forehead. It is similar to the one his father had, though this one slowly fades away before the boy mumbles in his sleep.

"Da? Will I... be able to make friends?"

End of the Prologue

6