Chapter 3: Soul Crystals
53 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: Soul Crystals

Nero escorted Sheldon to the boy's hostel two hundred meters from the Academy. It can host up to two hundred with their own rooms that have personal toilets, showers, beds, and study tables. The caretaker of the residence handled cleaning, laundry, and repairs. Two elderly mages served as protectors and disciplinary officers in case of a conflict between the male students. They also went after students who bunked their classes by staying in their rooms. They discouraged students from returning to their rooms until the sun had set. The main reason for that is to encourage the usage of other facilities such as the library, gym, mock battlegrounds, orchards, meditation rooms, garden, and mess hall.

Nero had to explain to them what happened in class and why Sheldon had to return to his to rest. They did not find the incident surprising and allowed Nero to take Sheldon to his room. Though the injuries had healed thanks to Alexander's medicine, the trauma of being impaled seemed to have affected his senses. Every step he took caused his face to flinch in discomfort, and sometimes Nero had to provide a shoulder to lean on, especially while climbing the stairs. When Sheldon finally lay on his bed, he let out a sigh of relief and pointed at the chair in his room for Nero to take a seat.

"Spare a few more minutes. I know that Bi... Madame told you to help me. But I still wish to thank you for going the extra mile."

"I have been in a situation where I was hurt and had no one to rely on."

"Don't summoners always have a companion to help them?"

"I wasn't a summoner at the time. Even after all these years, I only contracted a Mountain Wolf named Ben."

"Is he a Beast with a Magical Core?"

"No, just a Wolf. Though there are some Dire Wolves who have Magical Cores roaming the Wild Lands. They are the last of their kind, and it's hard to catch them."

"I see... Do you keep Ben in limbo? Or is he in your room?"

"In limbo during class... which is the first time today. Normally limbo is reserved when Ben is injured, starving, or needs to relieve himself when we aren't in the right place."

Sheldon laughed, and Nero joined in with a chuckle.

"I know you have other stuff to do, so can you summon Ben here? I can keep him company... or give me company."

"Ben isn't that friendly to other humans. But I will summon him here to introduce him at least."

Nero closed his eyes and called out to his summon through the connection created by the magical contract. Ben materialized by his side. He resembles a Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf, but his fur is pure white. Ben immediately got up to lick Nero's face and looked around the room before resting his eyes on Sheldon. He growled at the boy, but it did not scare his target.

"I heard stories of Mountain Wolves while I grew up, but all I have seen are the Dogs descended from their line. Though they don't have the intelligent and wild eyes Ben has. His fur is amazing too!"

Ben stopped growling to sniff Sheldon a few times before coming closer to let the boy pet his head and stroke his fur.

"Well, this a first. Usually, Ben would try to bite someone who tries to touch him."

"I have been around big dogs all my life."

Sheldon grabbed a bag near his bed and fed Ben with a few pieces of Beef jerky. 

"I wanted to ask if it is an accepted custom in the heartland for teachers to injure their students?"

"No! Of course not... but I had been warned that the Teachers in this Academy are hardcore. I thought they were exaggerating until she threw the Trident."

"Do you mind sharing what she whispered before pulling the Trident out of you?"

"She was mad that I used a spell that could have injured the other students. She threatened to impale me every day at the end of the class for a week as punishment if I ever used it again inside a classroom. What was she expecting when she ordered me to hit her with my best attack."

"I guess she didn't expect your spell to be that powerful. Do all Electromancers have that kind of power?"

"Hahaha! I raised the level of my Electromancy Spell Tome to Lv 6 by absorbing twenty Lightning Elemental Soul Crystals."

"Twenty to reach Lv 6? Aren't they expensive?"

"1 Elemental Soul Crystal costs at least 100 Gold, so I doubt you will find another Electromancer at our age willing to pay 2000 Gold to increase their Spell Tome Level to 6."

Nero sat stunned by the enormous figure.

"Your family is wealthy?"

"My clan makes a living by hunting beasts with Magical Cores. We do it for their bounties, eat their meat, sell their valuable body parts, and keep their Elemental Soul Crystals to power up our Spell Level. Not many Mages pursue hunting. They prefer to buy the Elemental Crystals with the gold they earn from more noble professions."

"Wait... didn't you say I must absorb soul crystals to increase the Grade of my Magical Core? But you are saying they level up Spells Tomes too."

"Both require Soul Crystals, but there are two types. The first is the Elemental Soul Crystals which are the most common type. They are the same as the Elemental Spell Tomes the Academy teaches here. Pyro, Cryo, Hydro, Electro, Geo, Metallo, Aero, and Flora. You can obtain them by killing Elemental Magical Beasts or from the stores that buy and sell them. A Pyro Spell Tome will only accept Pyro Elemental Soul Crystals to increase the level of its spells."

"But what about Spell Tomes like the forbidden ones? Are there Necro Soul Crystals, Chrono Soul Crystals?"

"Nothing like those exists. Any Spell Tome not part of the Elements will accept Divine or Demonic Soul Crystals. Those two have no elemental affinity. Your Magical Core will only accept them to upgrade."

"Their names sound like they came from Angels and Demons."

"I am not sure how they are made, but I know it is based on positive and negative energy. If you absorb from them... they will affect your personality and make changes to your spells with Divine or Demonic traits."

"Interesting... How expensive are they?"

"No one can buy them from the market. If you are lucky enough to find one, surrender it to the officials of the Empire for 10000 Gold. Otherwise, they will hunt you down if they learn you have it or know who has it."

"10000! What makes them so expensive?"

"Unlike the Elemental Soul Crystals, I mentioned before that get absorbed and disappear into the Elemental Spell Tomes. Divine and Demonic Soul Crystals will not disappear when you take their energy into your Magical Core or Non-elemental Spell Tomes. They are indestructible and never run out of energy to give. Which means you can keep absorbing them over and over again. But the Empire has been hunting and storing them in the Emperor's vault since the Age of Empires began to prevent Mages from becoming too powerful like in the Age of Conquest. Only Spell Tome Academies keep a few to help students in your predicament of having low-grade magical cores."

"Madame Teresa mentioned it may leave me crippled or turn me into a Mana Fiend. What makes them so dangerous?"

"To absorb from those two Soul Crystals... you have to subdue the Positive or Negative Soul within them."

"What do you mean... Is it like a battle of willpower?"

"My Grandfather had used it once when he studied here. He told me it is like entering a different world where Souls take on blood and flesh. They will fight to consume your Soul and turn you into a Mana fiend. You have to defend yourself with Spell Tomes. If you win, the Divine or Demonic Soul Crystal will upgrade your Magical Core as a reward."

"He survived, right? Did he tell you how he did it?"

"Like me... my Grandfather had leveled up his Spell Tome to Lv 6, which helped him survive the fight. I am not sure if you have the strength to win."

Nero made a silent gulp and stared at Ben.

"Can I summon Ben to fight alongside me?"

"I have no idea if that is possible. But you should give it a try."

"Thank you for all the explanations and advice."

"It is not too late to say you changed your mind. Your life as a Mage is over if things don't work out. Just be prepared for that."

"I don't think I will be happy being a Battle Mage with only one spell."

End of Chapter 3

4