Chapter 10 – Demonic Soul Crystal
36 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10 - Demonic Soul Crystal

The Headmaster pulls out the Black Soul Crystal from the same safe. It looks like a block of Black Granite. He gently places it on the desk and waves to Nero to sit.

"The Soul inside this Demonic Crystal is called Varren. He has been helping all the Mages of this Academy with his Negative Energy... though it comes at the cost of their mental health. Only Mages like Belisarius who share the same Spell Tome affinity have overcome and harnessed it for their growth."

"Didn't you say the Negative Energy inside a Demonic Soul Crystal is taboo for my Cursed Blood?"

"Unfortunately, there isn't any other Divine Soul Crystal lying nearby, nor do I think any of them will offer to help you. Porimma made that very clear to me. There will be side effects of using it, and there is a possibility it may even be too much and turn you into a Mana fiend. But there isn't anything else that can help you."

"I understand... by the way... what did Porimma show you in those visions about me?"

"The past, present, and future will fear your Spells. That is all I am willing to share."

Nero tried to process the Headmaster's words. From what he could make out, Chronomancy may be involved. But something about it hinted that there is more to it. Would he be able to get his hands on the other Spell Tomes that he has an affinity for? 

Nero shook his head and focused on the Demonic Soul Crystal on the table.

"It sounds like I will be powerful. I don't know why Porimma refused to help me, but I will use whatever I can. Is the soul inside this one as powerful as her?"

"Varren has control over Golemancy and Eldritchmancy. He is not as big as Porimma, but he can summon Golems to aid him and play tricks with your mind. You will see horrors that could induce a heart attack in a weak mind. So stay focused on your goal and shut out everything else."

The Headmaster directs his floating chair toward the windows and looks outside. He is shaken from his experience and takes comfort in the view overlooking the academy.

"Alright! Let's get this over with."

"I will not be coming with you this time."

Nero was surprised and wanted to ask more questions, but he could see the Headmaster was not in the mood to share the reasons. 

"That does not mean I will not offer you any advice. If you aim for Varren's Skull, the battle will be won. But I pray you to have the strength for what comes after."

"After?"

The Headmaster does not reply and focuses on the view outside the window. Nero wondered if Porimma showed the distant future or the immediate future. Either way, he could not afford to skip the opportunity to raise the grade of his Magical Core over future visions.

Nero places his hand on the Demonic Soul Crystal and is consumed by a black hole that sucks him in. He soon finds himself outside a ruined castle in a desolate landscape. The ruins overlook a mountain valley similar to the one in the wildlands, except there are no trees or rivers anywhere below. It looked like a great fire had ravaged the land for years and turned it into a desert. But the shape of the mountain ranges that surround it is still the same.

The familiar geography surprises Nero and his mind recalls a story in the Summoner village about ancient Ruins on the top of the tallest mountain. Nero had tried to climb it once but had to give up a quarter of the way. But he had seen a stitched image of the ruins that resembled this one. There was a name for it which he tried to dig up.

"The Gandhara Ruins?"

A dozen statues of Soldiers in heavy armor are arrayed along the ramparts in different positions. Each was twice the size of the average Human and wore equipment that looked more advanced than those worn in the Capitol of the Empire. The Walls are 3m (10 ft) thick and 12 m (39 ft) tall, made of Black Granite.

Nero studies the ruins and the petrified soldiers before the ground shakes. He turns around and finds an 8-foot-tall Golem made of Black Granite and a White Granite Bull Skull for a head. Long sharp spikes extend out of the body like curved horns. The massive arms are shaped to resemble spiky shields, and they both have 3 stubby fingers.

"Ho Ho Ho! It has been a while since a child of Sin entered my Soul Plane. A weak one on top of that." 

The voice sounds like boulders grinding against each other. It radiates an aura that makes Nero think of a Maleficent Deity.

"Varren, I assume. I have come to duel you. If I win, you will purify my blood and upgrade my Magical Core."

"HA HA HA HA! Duel me? I am afraid you haven't the right until you defeat all my minions." Varran says as he waves his hand. The dozen Soldier statues come to life and jump off the walls. All of them break apart when they land, but they reform with the help of a soul crystal inside each of them. Nero takes a mental note of the crystals being the glue that holds them together. 

As they slowly walked toward Nero, they turned from statues into Demonic creatures. Nero assumed it the work of the Eldritchmancy and kept reminding himself of that to calm his heart.

"Before we get down to business. I have a question for you. When you entered my soul Plane, you called the ruins... Gandhara. How do you know that name?"

"The Summoners who live in the village below called it by that name. But this place should be a lush valley full of trees, rivers, and life. Is it the same place... or a different age?"

"Oh? Did it turn back into a paradise? That is good to know. May I ask... has anyone claimed it? Have they disturbed the graves?"

"Who took it over? I don't think anyone knows about it other than the Summoners of the valley below. Only a few managed to climb up here and enter the ruins. But they told stories of it being haunted by a Maleficent spirit called Gandhara. She consumed many souls, so it became Taboo to enter the ruins even if one managed to climb to the top."

"Gandhara still haunts it? Poor thing... She must be lonely. I thank you for sharing what you know. You may ask a question, and I will answer it in return as thanks."

Nero was surprised by the offer. He wanted Varren's help without fighting, but that did not seem likely. He looked around and decided o investigate the origins of this ruin since Varren seemed interested in it.

"Can you tell me what this place was before it became a ruin and who Gandhara is?"

"A long time ago, this was a University to train Grand Mages. I was a teacher here, along with several other Grand Mages. We focused on the Non-Elemental Spell Tomes and taught the most gifted Mages who managed to climb up here. One day a great war began with a rival civilization... the skills and services of all the Grand Mages were required on the front lines. But our students weren't ready for it and stayed behind to continue their studies. I created these 12 Golems to protect the students and the university. Gandhara... was the most talented among the students, so we left her in charge. The border war turned into a great war that I deem a global extinction-level event. It took the lives of all the other Grand Mages who served by my side. When I finally returned home... I found it in ruins. All my Golems were destroyed, the bones of my students littered the grounds, and their dried blood splattered the walls. Gandhara told me who was responsible for it, and I left this place to seek revenge. That was the last time I was here. My Soul Plane recreated it to remind me what I lost."

"it sounds like Gandhara survived."

"No, she was among the dead."

"Then how did you talk to here... Soulmancy? Necromancy?"

"Gandhara specialized in Soulmancy and Necromancy. she turned herself into a Maleficent Spirit to protect in death what she couldn't in life. As her last wish, I buried her remains with the others and their Spell Tomes in the ruins before I left. That is why I wanted to know if their graves were untouched and if her spirit still lingered there after all this time."

When Varren mentioned those two Spell Tomes, Nero's eyes widened. The Headmaster said there were ancient ruins where Spell Tomes were buried and are waiting to be rediscovered. Even though both of these two are Forbidden Spell Tomes. He was glad to know the location of two Spell Tomes he could use.

"That look on your face... you are planning to disturb her grave and take her Spell Tomes!" Varren yelled in rage. His twelve Golems had arrived, and they aimed their weapons at Nero, who summons his Spell Tome before activating his only spell.

"Plasma Blade Ballet!"

End of Chapter 10

2