Chapter 12 – Mage Circle
27 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12 - Mage Circle

"Good Morning, class!" Madame Teresa addressed the students as she entered the first-year classroom. Everyone stood up to welcome her and sat back down when she placed a black jar on her table. She turns around to scan the seats and notices one is empty beside Sheldon.

"Is Nero Ramus still in the recovery wing ?" Madame Teresa asked Sheldon, seated in the front row of the class.

A knock on the door interrupts his reply, and Nero pokes his head through the door.

"Sorry I am late. The Head Nurse discharged me 10 minutes ago. Can I still attend the class?" Nero asked with a deep voice that sounded unnatural for his age.

"Did you manage to upgrade your Magical Core? But before that... what is that smell?" Madame Teresa asked as she came closer to inspect Nero. She notices a dark vapor rising out of his black hair with a foul odor. 

"I cracked my Magical Core during my battle with the Demonic Soul Crystal. The smell is from my Mana leaking out. I couldn't change the grade of my Magical Core after that, so I am still stuck on White."

"You failed to defeat Varren's Golems?"

"No, I did defeat Varren."

"What nonsense! You defeated Varren himself?"

"Uhh, we made a deal. But something went wrong during the battle, and my Magical Core cracked. The Headmaster said it would heal in time. But I will have to drink Mana potions to use my Spells. Here is a letter of permission to use them during tests."

Madame Teresa inspects the letter, and her eyebrows rise in surprise.

"It seems you did defeat Varren on your first try. But I wonder how you managed that with only a White Core. Though it is a mystery to me, the Headmaster seems to have taken quite an interest in you. Very well... you still have a future in this academy."

Madame Teresa takes out a bottle of perfume and sprays it on Nero. The odor disappears, and the students feel relieved.

"This perfume will negate the odor for six hours, but you will buy and apply it on yourself from now on. You may take a seat beside Sheldon. I will place him in charge of teaching what you missed over the last two days."

"Yes, Madame." Nero acknowledged and took the seat beside Sheldon, who whispered a question.

"What happened to Ben? The Nurse said you didn't bring him out after you returned."

Nero's head slumped down, and his eyes stared at the floor at his feet. His mind recalled the battle with Varren in the Soul Plane. Ben's death cry rings in his mind. Nero's gamble had cost him dearly.

"He is-" Nero was about to answer, but Madame Teresa whacked his shoulder with a ruler made of iron.

"Hush now! You can catch up later. Yesterday, we covered all the Non-Elemental Spell Tomes and their categories. Today I will assign you all into 10 Mage Circles of 5 since there are 50 in this room. You will be assessed as a group during all the Trials until you graduate." Madame Teressa announced to the first-year class. She notices that Sheldon is raising his hand and nods her head for him to speak.

"How are the Mage Circles being picked?"

"Have you noticed the Black jar on my table? It contains marbles of 10 different colors, with 5 belonging to each. You will not look at the contents until you pull one of the marbles out. After everyone is done, you will rearrange your seating with those who have the same color. Be warned that each marble will register your Magical Core signature. If I sense you switched voluntarily or forced another to exchange their color. I will impale the individuals with my Terra Tridents."

The threat was taken seriously, and no one seemed inclined to disobey.

"What happens if we lose a member to accident or death?" Sheldon continued with another question.

"There will be no replacements or mergers. Think of this as a means to improve team combat and social skills. Mages are more powerful when they assist each other rather than being alone. So be kind and protect the members of your Circle. Otherwise, you will struggle during the many 'Assessment Trials' that will have you fight other Mage Circles."

"But we would still have single combat exams?"

"The Academy will hold tournaments for those who feel they can solo a fight. The Champions will be taken to the Colosseum in Capitol. There they will train to become a Grand Battle Mage and serve as the Emperor's bodyguards or his inquisitors."

"What about the Mage Circles... what kind of opportunities do they get after graduating?" A girl with Snow White hair asked out of curiosity. She is seated behind Sheldon, and beside her is another girl with Blood Red hair.

"You should know this already with your background, but the others might not. Upon graduation, all Mage Circles will be disbanded. Those willing to serve the Empire will be given command of a hundred soldiers and become Centurions. They will have to serve under Legion commanders who will promote them based on their performance. Rising through the ranks will award them more soldiers to command until they are qualified to be General of their own Legion. As for those who are not interested in military service, they must join one of the three main Guilds."

Nero raised his hand to ask a question and received permission.

"I am not familiar with the three Guilds. Could you explain?"

"Each of the three has official names, but everyone refers to them as the Book Guild, Mercenary Guild, and Craft Guild. Their Guild Masters are the siblings of the Emperor who have renounced their claim to the throne. Mages who serve these guilds will be assigned work that benefits the Empire in exchange for status and monetary benefits. The type of work and rewards available will depend on their graduation Tattoos."

"Graduation Tattoos?" Nero asked.

"At the end of the third academic year, a grand trial will be held for the Mage Circles in the Capitol. It will pit you against Mage Circles from our rival Spell Tome Academies. If you pass the trial, you will be awarded Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum tattoos. The color showcases the rank your Mage circle achieved in the Grand Trial. Only thirty Mage Circles can pass every year. The Mage Circle that gets first place will be given Platinum, and the remaining 9 in the top 10 will be awarded gold. Silver will be given out to rank 11-20 and Bronze to rank 21-30."

"What happens to those who fail to be among the top 30?" Nero asked.

"You will be given a second chance the following year. But if your Mage Circle fails again, you will lose the right to enter the three Guilds or the Military. Blood Tattoos will be placed on these failures to seal their Magical Cores. They will not be able to use their Spell Tomes. It may sound cruel, but this prevents them from abusing their spells on ordinary citizens."

"But that doesn't sound fair if a Mage in the circle dragged down the others." The girl with Blood Red hair pointed out.

"Do what you must and address the weak links." Madame Teresa glanced towards Nero, who felt she had placed a target on his back.

The students in the classroom seem excited and worried as well. If they get lumped together with those with poor skills, it will affect their grades. Their eyes dart toward the back of Nero's head. Nero feels uncomfortable with the attention. He gets up to ask a question.

"Madame... I know I will be a burden on whichever Mage Circle I end up in because of my handicap. Can I balance that out with my skills as a Summoner?"

"If the Headmaster is confident you still have a future, you can aid them in combat without using spells. It will not be allowed during the Grand trial in your third year. So you must pray for your Magical Core to be fixed by then."

Nero looks relieved and then asks another question.

"I need to find more Beasts to turn into my summons. The one I have right now needs time to recover. Is there a place that sells Beasts nearby?"

"Are you familiar with the Viking Village?"

"Yes, Madame. I passed through it on the way here. But it looked more like a fishing and whaling village."

"A Beast trader called Amon may have what you need. You may leave the academy after you collect your marble and find more summons. Be back before nightfall, and don't expect further special treatment from me."

"I understand, Madame."

"Now go on and be the first to pick a marble."

Nero nods and then goes over to her table. He places his right hand inside the Black jar and pulls out a Red marble.

End of Chapter 12

3