Chapter 15 – Cave Bear
53 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15 - Cave Bear

Nero and the Ferryman docked at the fisherman's wharf of the Viking village. After securing the boat to a wooden pillar on the pier, the Ferryman led Nero to his Bunkhouse. Amon's sleeping quarters in the ground floor of the building, and there are no walls or doors to separate it from the rest of the house. 

"Can I summon Ben here?"

"I think there is enough space for him. But don't keep him here too long."

Nero summoned Ben from limbo. The Giant White Wolf had to lower himself to avoid hitting the ceiling. The Ferryman quickly darted outside the Bunk House to deter passersby from looking inside.

"Smell that bed and find the Man who slept there for me." Nero requested Ben as he stroked the glowing Red tattoos on the white fur. A Summoner's mind feels the emotions of their bonds and guesses what they thought. But after the Demonification, Ben's connection with Nero deepened till he could see through Ben's eyes and experience what he sensed. Nero had to close his eyes to let Ben's vision and senses come through. At first, it was disorienting, but over the last two days, Nero had secretly summoned Ben outside the medical wing of the academy to practice it while feigning sleep.

When Nero felt Ben's nose register Amon's unique scent, he recalled Ben to limbo and exited the Bunk House to meet with the Ferryman. 

"Ben found the scent! I will head into the forest and resummon him there to avoid attracting attention."

"I wish ye good luck, lad! When ye get back, find me at the Fool's Gold. It's a tavern that serves the best Ale in this dump."

Nero nods, and the two part ways. While leaving the village, Nero notices a group of villagers mourning over shrouded corpses. They placed dry coconut husks, dry driftwood, and clothes that belonged to the deceased. The eldest sons and daughters picked up lit torches and tossed them on the funeral pyre.

"Were those the hunters who got killed by a bear?" Nero asked another villager passing by him to get to the funeral. The man is wearing a clean white tunic similar to the ones worn by the rest of the mourners.

"Not just any old Bear. They found a Cave Bear that should have been extinct in these parts. Amon brought their remains back here when he found them. He took our best warriors to hunt down and kill that monster."

Nero had studied the ancient animals that roamed the Wildlands during his time in the Summoner village. Clay tablets recorded the experiences and knowledge of the Sage, who had been reincarnating since the Age of the Ancients. Cave Bears, Dire Wolves, Saber Tooth Tigers, Mammoths, Wooly Rhinos, Giant Turtles, and Giant Pythons were common during the Age of Ice. Their numbers declined after the Age of Legends until they became so rare to be deemed extinct. But a few did manage to survive in the remort parts of the world untouched by humans. 

"A Cave bear? How many warriors?"

"About thirty. Why do you care? Aren't you one of the Mages of the Academy?"

"I was a Hunter from the Wildlands before I became a Mage. I want to help out if you can point me in the right direction they went."

"You see that Mountain there? We call that Mount Slogen! There is a waterfall at its base and a cave hidden behind it. Amon said it was the spot where the Cave Bear was hiding in. Not sure if they are still there since they went out before sunrise."

"Thank you! I will help them take down that beast."

"Did the Academy send you here to help us? They have never done that before."

"I came to see Amon, and I have to collect a package from him for my teacher."

"Ah! Just a tourist." The man spat on the ground near Nero's sandals and walked away. Nero shook his head before following the dirt path out of the village and entering the forest. After making sure he was alone, Nero summoned Ben. The Horse-sized White Demon Wolf materialized and snarled at Nero before gently licking his face.

"Love you too, Ben! Now we need to search for the guy whose scent you picked up at the house. Luckily I found out he is at that Mountain. Once we get there, use your nose to find him for me."

Before Ben died and transformed into his current form, Nero had to visualize his intentions to communicate and reward him with treats if he got it right. But now Ben seemed to understand almost everything he spoke without any confusion or need for incentives. But he still demanded a belly rub and a pat on the head as a tax on his services. Nero had no choice but to oblige those requests. 

Ben sniffed the air and raced towards the Mountain, leaving Nero behind. After a few minutes passed, Nero resummoned Ben back to his side. The poor Wolf was confused by the act and looked irritated.

"If you hadn't noticed, I can't keep up with you anymore. Can you let me ride on your back?"

Ben had grown soo fast that he had forgotten that he was faster than his old form. Nero used to be able to keep up with his pace in the Wildlands, but now it was impossible. Ben lowered himself to allow Nero to get on his back. The mane around his neck is long enough for Nero to grab onto like rope as his summon leaped forward and rushed through the forest toward Mount Slogen.

Ben passed by a herd of Wild Boars as he ran. They all squealed and dispersed into the foliage to escape the gaze of the Demon Wolf, but a few piglets were too slow to react and ended up being swallowed by Ben's massive jaws. Nero's stomach growled as it was lunchtime, and he had skipped breakfast to reach the class in time.

Ben was almost about to shift his attention toward the rest of the Piglets when Nero pulled his ears.

"Focus on that Mountain! We will eat after we find Amon."

Ben whined a little before refocusing on the goal and sprinting forward. On the way, Nero grabbed lowing fruits from trees and munched on them to calm his stomach. He could sense Ben grumbling at the unfairness of it all as he had to ignore more delicious and easy meals along the way.

Ben's top speed with Nero on his back is 45 miles per hour. The speed would double without any burden. But it was enough to reach their destination in an hour, and the waterfall came into view along with a field of torn-up bodies. The ground is covered in blood, guts, shit, bile, and severed limbs violently ripped away from the rest of the body. Though it was hard to look, Nero counted eight bodies.

"Damn it! The Cave Bear got them! Ben, is Amon among the dead?"

Ben slowly approached the corpses to sniff them and shook his head to say no. He then followed an invisible trail that led away from the waterfall and toward a path that goes up Mount Slogen. Nero spotted broken spears, arrows, and splintered shields. As Ben climbed higher, he found more corpses mauled at the belly and throat. Thankfully none of them were Amon, but it wasn't a good sign.

"Ben, go as fast as you can! We must stop that Cave Bear before it kills the survivors."

"Aaaaahhooooo!"

Ben let out a demonic howl as an acknowledgment, but the grizzly roar of a Cave Bear answered him from higher up the Mountain.

"GggrrrrrrrrrrRRRaaaahhhh!"

"I think we got its attention! They don't like when other predators get into their territory."

Ben's blood Red eyes began to glow along with the tattoos on his fur. Nero could feel Ben's blood lust surge through his body. He wanted to kill this Cave Bear who dared to challenge him. Hunger also took over his mind as the thought of digging into the flesh of a Bear became unbearable to resist.

"You don't need to hold back, Ben!" Nero yelled as he jumped off Ben's back to allow him to increase his speed. The Cave Bear came rushing down the Mountain Path covered in spears, arrows, and swords that got stuck when it battled the Humans who came after it.

The Cave Bear's Black fur has blood all over it, especially around its mouth. Nero could feel the ground vibrates as it rushed toward Ben. It must weigh at least 1000 kg (2,200 lb) and measure up to 2 m (6.6 ft) in length. 

Ben and the Cave Bear jump towards each other with their fangs bared and their claws extended to dig into each other's hide.

To Be Continued!

1