Chapter 11 – Dinner With My Mother
1.1k 2 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a message from Enid.

Ethan responded to his mother with just a short “Okay” and walked over to the wardrobe.

He grabbed a white flowy shirt and a dark green jacket over it. He wore some black jeans and put on some sneakers that were lying in the room, apparently being the only other shoes he had.

Ethan went downstairs and sat in the living room, waiting for his mother to arrive.

As he looked out the window, he realized how much scarier that night seemed than usual. The frost-dead trees and the ever-depressing weather weren't so pleasant, but for some reason, Ethan didn't feel like this was a good day to be outside.

*BZZZZ! BZZZZ!*

Ethan's cell phone rang. Ethan took his cell phone out of his pocket and there was a message:

“Hey Ethan! Today we are going to a snack bar. Want to go with us?". It was Jessica.

“Oh, I'm sorry I didn't go again :( . I had dinner with my mom tonight, she wants to take me somewhere to eat”, he replied, praying that Jessica wouldn't get mad at him.

“Aw, this is so cute. I wish I had a good relationship like that with my parents, you're lucky!” Jessica sent. "Don't worry, we can hang out another day <3".

"See you at school tomorrow, then?" Ethan answered, relieved.

"Clear. See you tomorrow :)". She answered.

A few minutes later, he heard the lock on the door being opened and footsteps entering the house. He looks across the kitchen toward the door. That strange feeling made him alert, and he still couldn't recognize his mother's steps just by the noise.

"Ethan, are you ready?" Enid's voice came through the strange feeling.

Ethan leaned back on the couch and said, “Hi, Mom. I'm ready".

"Okay, I'll just grab one more sweater because it's really cold outside, and we'll be gone." The woman said, locking the door and running quickly to the bedroom.

After a few minutes, Ethan heard Enid coming down and got up towards the door, already unlocking it. His mother walked out the door and walked to the car with him.

Ethan's mom had the radio playing as she drove to the restaurant, which kept them quiet the whole way, but even so, it wasn't uncomfortable just listening to the radio while neither of them spoke. Ethan spent the entire drive looking out the window, watching their path.

That city had a sad climate. Ethan had a strange feeling when he looked at her. It was as if he had lived all his life in a sunny place with a blue sky and happy, so it left him with a strange feeling, probably because he was unfamiliar. Every time he admired that place more, the more he felt depressed.

A few long minutes later, they arrived at the restaurant. It was a simple, well-lit roadside diner, but it still felt comfortable.

They entered and sat down at one of the first tables in the cafeteria. Ethan smelled a strong smell of frying coming from inside.

An older girl walked towards the table and handed the two menus.

Enid started to read the menu with a hungry expression on her face.

“Have you already decided what you are going to eat?”. She asked, as she raised her hand to the waitress.

“I think a chocolate milkshake and this bacon burger,” he said as he flipped through the book.

“Don't you think you'll catch a cold if you have a milkshake in this cold weather?”. Enid said, raising her hand to call the waitress.

“I need something sweet to cheer me up.” He replied, closing the menu and placing it on the corner of the table.

“Rejoice? Did something happen?". Enid asked, concerned.

“No, I just…”. Ethan was talking, until the waitress interrupted him, coming to their table to take their order.

"What are they gonna order?". She said, rather dryly.

"It's going to be an orange juice with a hot dog and a chocolate milkshake with this bacon burger." Ethan responded shortly thereafter, changing the subject.

“Okay, anything else?” the girl asked.

"No, just that." Ethan replied, pulling his jacket off his body and laying it down next to him on the bench.

Then the waitress takes the menus back and leaves the table, taking the order to the kitchen.

“So, how was class today? Did you have a fight today?”. She asked, tapping her fingertips on the table curiously.

“It was fine, nothing too new. In fact, a new girl has joined the school. Did I tell you she was coming in?" Ethan asked, wanting to know if the Charlie who texted his mother was the same as Bella's father.

"I don't think so! Tell me about her”. Enid asked.

“Her name is Isabella Swan. She's in the same year as me. We talked a little while in the cafeteria, but nothing much”. Ethan said, waiting for her to blurt out something.

“Isabella Swan…?”. Enid said, trying to remember where she had heard that name.

"What have?". Ethan asked.

“Oh, Chief Constable Charlie Swan mentioned that his daughter was coming to town. So she's your friend." She commented, crossing her arms, pleased to find out.

"Ah, it's not really my friend, it's more of a colleague". He commented. “But what about this, Charlie… Is he nice? Don't think I forgot he texted you these days after work." Ethan completed, letting out a small chuckle.

“Oh, stop being silly, Ethan.” She said, angry but a little shy. “It was just a message about work, nothing more. But he's… He's interesting.” Enid said, shifting in her chair.

"…Interesting?". Ethan repeated, curious.

“No, not like that, he's just nice. You got it, Ethan. Stop bullshit!”. Enid answered awkwardly.

“Here is your order”. The waitress interrupted the conversation again, arriving with their orders in hand.

She placed the plates in front of each one. The snack was big and beautiful. It was clearly greasy, but still appetizing to look at. The milkshake was nothing special. It was just an ordinary chocolate milkshake with a red cherry on the top.

“The food arrived. Let's eat!". Enid said, cutting the subject short.

Ethan wrapped some napkins around the hamburger, so he wouldn't get too dirty, and started to devour it, while Enid did the same with the hot dog she ordered.

A few minutes later, they finished eating. Ethan leaned back in his chair, looking satisfied with his meal, while Enid was still finishing.

Suddenly, Ethan looked to the side and saw, through the window, a group of people moving along the sidewalk. They didn't seem to be friends, it seemed like he was, following one of the people.

Ethan squinted his eyelashes trying to get a closer look, and he could see that it was a girl being chased by two strange guys.

 

------

I've made a Patreon to released advanced chapters! You can support me there if you want, thank you!

Read 4+ advanced chapters on Patreon! (2 Daily chapters released there!)

Patreon.com/toToru

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/VDQdW6gDQC

36