Chapter 30 – “Why Don’t You Shut Up, Mike?”
491 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You guys could be dead! Do you understand that?" Charlie said, scolding the two, but concerned.

"Yeah, but we're not!". Bella replied, shrugging.

"You can kiss your license goodbye!". Charlie said, looking at Tyler.

Then, a tall, blond man in a white lab coat entered the room and said:

"I heard the boss's daughter was here.

- Carlisle! - Ethan thought, looking at the man.

"Ah, Doctor Cullen!" Charlie said, turning around.

"Mister Charlie! And you must be Enid, right?". Carlisle said, introducing himself to Ethan's mother.

"Pleasure, Doctor Cullen!". Enid replied, smiling.

"I heard you were a great cop in your area." He said, moving toward Ethan and Bella.

"Isabella and Ethan...you guys had quite a scare. How are you feeling?" He said, taking Ethan's chart first.

"We're fine!". Ethan replied, looking at Bella, who couldn't take her eyes off him.

"Look here!". Carlisle said to Ethan, as he put a light in his eyes and asked him to follow Carlisle's finger with his gaze. "Nice eyes, Ethan!". Carlisle said, noticing that Ethan's eyes were very reminiscent of those of a vampire who didn't take blood.

"Thank you!". Ethan replied, seriously.

"You took a nasty hit, didn't you, kid?" Carlisle said, looking at the x-ray they took of Ethan's arm. "But no fractures, just bruises. He added, with a confused expression on his face.

"You may feel post-traumatic stress and dizziness, but your vitals are fine!". Carlisle said, turning off the small flashlight and putting it away in his pocket. "No head trauma? Yeah, I think you'll be fine!". Carlisle replied, looking at Enid, who couldn't take her eyes off Ethan for a second.

"Look, I'm really sorry, I...!". Tyler started to speak, but was interrupted by Charlie, who pulled back the curtain separating the stretchers, hard.

"It would have been a lot worse if they hadn't been there... Ethan and Edward saved me!". Bella said, as Ethan rolled his eyes at her, asking her to be quiet.

"Ethan?" Enid asked, becoming indignant.

"Is that your son?" Charlie asked Carlisle, who was doing so, trying not to sketch any reaction.

"Yeah, it was amazing! They came and blocked the car so fast... They weren't even near me, right, Ethan?". Bella said, looking at Ethan.

"I don't remember us being away from you, Bella." He replied, looking away.

Bella looked at him confused, she remembered very well where Ethan was when they first started talking.

"Yeah, looks like you got lucky! I'm going to give you some antibiotics, Ethan. Take it 2x a day in the morning. If you feel any pain, don't hesitate to come back here." Carlisle replied, walking away.

Carlisle examined Bella, and they dismissed the two, who headed toward the office exit.

"I still need to sign some paperwork. I want you to go straight home, okay?" Enid said, walking beside Ethan.

"Mike's going home with me, all right? He's waiting for me at the front desk." Ethan replied.

"That blond guy? He doesn't seem like the kind of friendship you would make...". Enid replies, puzzled, but Ethan remains quiet. "... But you're a changed boy now. You can take him to the house!". She completes.

Ethan makes his way with Bella, for them to leave, but before they turn down the hall, the two of them hear some whispering and decide to peek in.

They see Edward, Rosalie, Carlisle and Alice talking.

"What did they want me to do? I wasn't going to let her die.". Edward said, irritated.

"This isn't just about you guys...!". Rosalie replies, trying to remain calm. "It's about all of us!". She adds.

"What about that guy? He held up the car with me. There's something weird about him!". Edward says, irritated.

"We better talk in my office!". Carlisle says, while looking at Ethan and Bella, causing the others to look at them as well.

"It's... Can I talk to you?". Bella says, looking at Edward.

Carlisle and Rosalie walk off, leaving only Alice and Edward behind. Alice stared at Ethan for a few seconds, not knowing what to do.

Edward walks over to Bella, leading her into the other hallway, so they can talk.

Ethan walked, trying to get past Alice without being questioned.

"What was that?" She asked seriously, hoping Ethan had thought of a logical explanation.

"What?" Ethan asked, playing confused.

"What do you mean that what, Ethan? I know you weren't close to Bella. I saw what happened. Tell me!" She asked, intrusively.

"Nothing happened. We were talking about books, and a car came and hit us. My arm is all fucked up. Ethan replied, pointing his bandaged arm at Alice.

"Do you think I'm an idiot? I know what I saw, Ethan!". Alice replied, becoming irritated.

"Oh yeah, and Edward was on her side, by any chance? You tell me first which one is yours!". Ethan replied, without thinking straight.

Alice stood quietly, staring at him for a few minutes, not saying a word, but looking a little annoyed.

"Hey Ethan, your mom says you're okay! Let's go!".

- Mike, are you going to show up every moment I'm with Alice? - Ethan thought, looking at Mike skipping down the hall.

"I have to go. He said, looking at her seriously.

"I'll call you today!". Alice replied, dryly.

"Okay..." Ethan replied, walking toward Mike.

Ethan walked towards Mike, who kept talking about how excited he was to play video games soon.

They were walking to Ethan's house, until Mike says:

"What about you and Alice? I always see you together...is there something going on?"

"I like her a lot, but I don't know if we'll be together. It's kind of complicated, it involves a lot of people." Ethan said, thinking about Jessica.

"I know, her family is kind of weird, right? It must be complicated... But what about Jessica? I thought you liked her. Mike said, looking at the floor.

"Huh? Jessica?" Ethan replied, almost thinking that Mike had read his thoughts.

"Yeah, I thought you liked her!". He said, laughing. "You know, it's a relief to know that you're not interested in her. Mike said, excitedly.

"Oh, what do you mean? Why?" Ethan asked, confused by Mike's line.

"Oh, Jessica and I have been going to school together since we were kids, and I've been in love with her ever since. Mike said embarrassed.

"What?" Ethan said, choking on nothing. "But you hit on everyone, are you crazy?". He said, a little annoyed.

"It's just that Jessica makes me nervous, I can't seem to ask her out. She's too pretty for me." He said.

Ethan looked at him, and Mike seemed so passionate when he talked about Jessica. It was clear that his feelings for her were real, which made Ethan feel a little bad that he was dating her, but he was still annoyed with Mike.

"I was jealous when I saw her approaching you. I know it doesn't look like it, but it's because she treats me like I'm her best friend, which sucks... I just wish I had the courage to ask her out." Mike said, crestfallen at the situation.

- Damn it, Mike. Just Jessica? The school has so many girls. Isn't it possible that you want to date just this girl? - Ethan thought in a stressed voice, as he walked with Mike.

"Are you going to ask Alice to the dance?" Mike asked, looking at Ethan.

"I don't know yet!". Ethan replied, dryly.

"What? You're afraid to call Alice, are you? Is that why you're so angry? I can give you some lessons if you want. Mike replied, trying to cheer up Ethan, who was sulking.

"It's senior year, right? I think I'm going to ask Jessica to the dance this weekend... Do you think I should do that? Mike asked, looking at Ethan.

Ethan felt his body become hot, he felt anger at what Mike was saying. Ethan was dying of jealousy.

"I don't think you should...." Ethan was saying annoyingly, but when he looked at Mike, he realized how wrong that was.

Jessica was kind and caring to him. It would be unfair to keep her in a relationship that is not going to be stable, plus, it could be dangerous. Jessica had no immunity against vampires, there was no reason to risk her life just because of a silly infatuation.

Ethan took a deep breath, closed his eyes and said more calmly:

"I don't think you should wait until the weekend to do this. Maybe someone will call her first? If I were you, I'd set something up with her and go to the weekend...". Ethan said, trying to be rational.

"You're right! Jessica is very pretty, someone might call her first... I'll call her for a movie tomorrow, then!". Mike said, jumping up and down with joy.


 

Hey, Toru here!
I hired an editor to edit the chapters! Every day, two chapters will be edited (for example: 2 and 31 today, 3 and 32 tomorrow).

If you'd like to support me, so I can continue paying my editor, please consider becoming a Patreon! Thank you: D

 

I've made a Patreon to released advanced chapters! You can support me there if you want, thank you!

Read 18+ advanced chapters on Patreon! (2 Daily chapters released there!)

Patreon.com/toToru

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/VDQdW6gDQC

20