Chapter 39 – “Alice?”
353 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Alice?" Ethan said, undoing the demonic look that was prevalent on his face and returning his sanity to normal.

"Answer me! What are you? You're not like me...so what are you?" Alice said, moving closer, with a confused expression on her face.

"I'm not like you?" Ethan asked her, clenching his eyelashes. "And what am I supposed to be? Because as far as I know, ordinary people don't go out running at that speed, or hold moving cars with their bare hands!". He asked, looking into Alice's round, yellow eyes, which were now shining brighter than usual.

Alice stared at her for a few moments, as if trying to read his mind, even though he knew she couldn't do that.

"I'm a vampire, Ethan." Alice said, expressionless.

"Huh? A vampire? Like, like the ones in the movies?" Ethan asked, mocking Alice.

"Not exactly... I don't hurt people!". She said, a little embarrassed.

"So, what do you feed on?". Ethan asked, confused.

"Some animals from the reserve!". She replied. "But what about you? What are you?" She asked, still serious.

"What makes you think I'm not a vampire too?". Ethan asked, trying to fool her.

"I can hear your heart, Ethan. Besides, I saw you bleeding on the sidewalk. I know you're still alive!". Alice said, a little annoyed that Ethan didn't say so right away.

"Can you hear my heart?". Ethan said, a little surprised.

"We have some different abilities than movie vampires. I can see the future, Edward can read minds...we each have a different ability.". Alice replied, sitting down on a large tree trunk.

"Has he ever read my mind?". Ethan asked about Edward, as he sat down next to Alice.

"Not exactly... Edward even can, but he can only feel fear and dread when he does that with his mind.". She said, half intimidated.

- So is that why he made that scared face that day? - Ethan thought, raising his eyebrows.

"That's why I stayed away from you. My family thinks you might be dangerous, since you have powers similar to ours, and you're not one of us..." Alice said, looking down.

"You think I'm a monster?". Ethan asked her, looking up at the moon, which was illuminating the part they were in.

"No! I... know you're not a monster!". Alice replied, confidently. "But, I need to know what you are!". She added.

"Look... I don't know exactly what I am. I've just recently started to be able to develop these abilities, but basically... I control the shadows!". Ethan said seriously, feeling Alice's gaze hover over him.

"That...explains a lot." Alice said, looking down.

"What do you mean?" Ethan questioned, really confused.

"When I see the future, a dark spot always appears, like a figure. I think that's you!". Alice replied, staring at Ethan with confusion.

"... And what do I do in your visions?". Ethan asked, curious, looking at Alice.

"I can't know! I can barely understand where you are. Sometimes you appear next to another shadow. It's kind of confusing." Alice replied confused.

- Another shadow...? UMB! - Ethan thought, widening his eyes.

"Wait, I need to...". Ethan said, getting up and looking around as if looking for something.

"What? What are you looking for?" Alice said, confused.

Ethan started trying to throw shadows with his hands, but he only dropped tiny balls on the ground.

"What are you doing? Tell me what you're looking for. Alice began to ask a lot of questions, approaching Ethan and getting in his way.

Ethan moved closer to Alice's body and put his hand over her mouth, causing her to turn red and quiet. He closed his eyes, still with his hand on Alice's mouth, and concentrated the shadow energy in his other hand, casting a medium-sized blob of shadow on the ground.

Alice's eyes widened, looking at the shadow patch on the floor.

Then a little black ball began to emerge from within the shadow patch. Alice grew restless, uncomfortable with what she was seeing, until a fluffy hamster jumped out of the spot, desperately searching for Ethan.

"Umb! You're okay!" Ethan said, picking the hamster up off the ground.

Alice remained quiet, just watching that little ball of shadow in Ethan's hand.

Umb began to wag his tiny tail, like a puppy, showing he was happy to see Ethan again.

As much as Umb looked like an animal, it was still just shadow particles. So it did not act like the respective animal that Umb's appearance showed.

Then Umb realized the vampire's presence and cowered in Ethan's hand in fear.

Ethan looks at Alice, who is still static looking at that, and leads Umb over to Alice.

"Alice, this here is Umb!". He says, reaching out his hand, so Alice can see it straight.

"Oh, what is that?". Alice asked, looking at the startled hamster.

"It was a spell... I'm not sure how I did it, but he's my faithful companion now!". Ethan said, petting Umb's head with his other hand. "You can touch him, he's nice!". Ethan said, looking at Alice with a gentle smile.

Alice gently brought her hand to the small body of Umb, who was still scared. Alice began stroking Umb's body, making it more secure and stopping cringing.

"What do you feel when you run your hand over Umb?". Ethan asked, curious.

"It's like that is a dense, cold smoke that moves like a draft. I feel kind of uncomfortable, too, like he's trying to get inside my mind!". Alice replied, pulling her hand away from Umb, who was lying on her stomach for Alice to stroke.

"Hm... That right there I didn't know. So it's uncomfortable to touch Umb...". Ethan said, running his finger across Umb's tummy, which was stretching further to receive the caress.

"And what else do you do?". Alice said, curious about Ethan.

"Anger intensifies my powers. I don't know what my limit is, I just end up getting blinded by anger.". Ethan said, staring at Umb, who seemed to have bad memories about the last time Ethan was angry.

"Wait, what were you doing near my house?". Ethan said, wondering what had happened.

"Huh? What?" Alice played dumb.

"Were you spying on me?" Ethan asked her putting Umb down. He looked indignant, but he couldn't deny that he had enjoyed this.

"NO! I wasn't!" Alice replied excitedly, trying to defend herself.

"Oh yeah? What were you doing then?" Ethan asked, remembering the scene where Edward breaks into Bella's room.

"I just... wanted to see how you were doing!". Alice said, embarrassed. "I don't like being away from you, Ethan!". She added, sad.

"But you don't have to stay away from me...". Ethan said, moving closer to Alice, getting his body close to hers.

"I don't think my family will be okay with this. They are afraid of what you are!". Alice said, looking down.

"You're afraid of me?" Ethan said, placing one of his hands on her face, gently lifting it up.

"No, but I don't want them to decide to go somewhere else. I don't want to be away from you any longer!". Alice replied, looking deep into Ethan's eyes.

Ethan stared at her for a few seconds, wondering what to do.

"We can still be together...they just don't need to know.". Ethan said, with a mischievous grin on his face.

"Huh?" Alice was confused, watching Ethan move closer and closer to her face.

Ethan then placed a gentle kiss on Alice's lips, causing her to be embarrassed, but return the kiss.


 

I've made a Patreon to released advanced chapters! You can support me there if you want, thank you!

Read 18+ advanced chapters on Patreon! (2 Daily chapters released there!)

Patreon.com/toToru

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/VDQdW6gDQC

16