Chapter 55 – “Hiding Bones With My Buddy”
313 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time passed and they reached a deserted beach. It was already early in the morning, so it was expected to be empty.

"Where are we?" Ethan asked, realizing that Edward was parking the car.

"Clallam Bay! It's far from Port Angeles and Forks, so I think it'll do!". Edward replied, getting out of the car.

They walked to the water, almost getting their feet wet with the water.

"How are we going to do it? You can't just throw the bones here in the shallows!". Edward asked.

"I thought we'd spread them out to sea. A boat would be nice...". Ethan thought, looking at the waves.

"Well... There's a little boat over there!". Edward pointed to a small, old canoe standing on the other side of the beach.

Ethan made a rueful expression and the two of them started walking to the boat.

"Is this thing working?" Ethan asked, helping Edward push the boat into the deeper part of the water so it wouldn't run aground.

"Let's find out!" Edward said.

"Wait, don't you have super strength? You can carry that by yourself!" Ethan said, throwing the bag of bones into the boat.

"I'm used to acting like a regular person, I forgot!". Edward said, lifting the end of the boat with one hand and walking towards the water with ease.

They got into the boat and started the engine, causing the boat to take them away from the shore.

"Okay, here's what we'll do: I'll guide the way, and you let go of the bones every few miles!" Edward said, controlling the boat's motor.

"Fine!" Ethan replied, opening the bag of bones and throwing one into the water.

They were in the middle of the darkness, since both of them could see well in the dark. Even if someone came along, no one could see them, so they weren't worried about being noticed.

After a few minutes of wading through the water, Ethan noticed that Edward started to get weird.

"Edward, not to be rude, but you look paler than usual. I didn't even know that was possible!" Ethan said, concerned for the vampire.

"Yeah, I'm not a big fan of boats. I'm kind of seasick!". Edward said, with his hand on his stomach.

"I can do it myself, if you want!". Ethan said. "But we're already finishing up now!". He added.

"No, I'm fine! Let's talk about something else and I'll get distracted!". Edward said, focusing his vision into the boat to make it look like he wasn't in the middle of the sea.

In truth, there were no questions in Ethan's mind that he would like to know. In general, he already knew a lot about Edward and the Cullens' lives: 'How had they met?', 'how had Edward died?' and even 'their powers'. Asking about the Volturi was also out of the question.

"Hm, do you have more of you?" Ethan asked something.

"Many! All over the world!". Edward replied.

"And they all have powers?" Ethan asked.

Edward stopped for a few seconds still, looking at Ethan.

"Alice really told you a lot!". Edward replied. "You already know my power?".

"Yes! She told me that you can't read my mind, the same way she can't see me in her visions.". Ethan replied seriously, leaning on the edge of the boat.

"Yeah, that's weird for me! Mostly because, I can't read Bella's thoughts either, but it's different with you...". Edward said, looking at Ethan.

For a few seconds, Ethan felt his body freeze. Edward's eyes showed anger, but also curiosity. Which made Ethan realize that there could be the perfect place for Edward to kill him, since no one would notice.

"Different how?". Ethan tried to remain calm.

"When I try to read your thoughts, I only see death, destruction... My worst thoughts!". Edward replied, looking uneasily at Ethan. It was as if he was trying to read Ethan's mind at that moment.

Ethan looked down quickly, looking away.

"Well, we're done here! We can go to the coast now!". Ethan replied, rolling up the empty garbage bag and putting it in the pocket of his blouse.

After putting the boat in place, they started walking down the beach, toward their car.

"Are you not going to tell me what you are?". Edward asked, frustrated.

"I don't know what I am!". Ethan replied, calmly.

"What do you mean you don't know?". Edward asked confused.

"I was always attracted to the darkness. It was as if something was calling me. I've felt it since I was just a baby, but after I started growing up, I began to feel very afraid of the dark. So I never slept with the lights off or stayed in places like this without lights...". Ethan replied, as they walked along the beach.

"Wait, you never stayed in the dark?". Edward asked, jokingly. "That doesn't make sense. It's impossible!".

Ethan paused for a few seconds.

"I have no recollection of ever being in the dark, but it probably has happened. I guess it just wasn't enough!". Ethan replied, thinking more deeply about it.

"Enough for what?". Edward asked.

"Sucking the energy out of the shadows!". Ethan replied.

Edward stared at him in silence. He looked startled, as if he had heard about it before. It was then that Ethan began to feel insecure talking about it with him.

"Don't you have anyone like you? Someone in your family?" Edward asked.

"No!" Ethan replied. - Not that I know of... - He thought.

"But what about your mother? Your father? They don't know?" Edward asked.

"My mother has no idea! She's a worried mother like all the others. I couldn't talk about it with her. And I don't know my father... My mother never talks about him. Like he never existed!". Ethan replied, thoughtfully.

"You don't know anything about him?". Edward asked.

"No!" Ethan replied. He knew his father's name and appearance, but something seemed off. Edward seemed strange about it, so Ethan preferred not to dig deep. "And I don't even want to! My mother raised me on her own. I'm already satisfied with that!". Ethan lied.

"I see. I think you did the right thing! If he didn't come to you, why would you need to do that, right?". Edward said. He seemed a little calmer about the situation.

"But what about your family? How did it all start?" Ethan asked, curious.

"Alice didn't tell you?" Edward asked.

"She told me about her and some siblings, but she didn't tell me the beginning of it." Ethan said.

"As a beginning, you talk about Carlisle?". Edward asked.

"Yes! She didn't tell me about him!". Ethan replied.

"Carlisle is from 1640! It was a time when they believed a lot in evil creatures and stuff... Which wasn't a lie! So his father started teaching him how to hunt these evil creatures.".

"There are more kinds of creatures?". Ethan interrupted, surprised.

"Yes, for sure! Vampires, werewolves, fairies... It's pretty vast, to tell you the truth. It's just that it's been years since I've encountered another species. I don't know if they've gone extinct, or just decided to go into complete hiding!". Edward replied, but looked bored.

"But anyway, that's when Carlisle found a real clan of vampires living inside a sewer and got bitten!". Edward recounted.

"I thought they avoided turning people...". Ethan said, confused.

"Ah, those were other times, eh?" Edward said. "Well, after a few years, Carlisle started working in a hospital. He has the power of compassion, basically no attraction to blood. That's where he met me. I was very sick and then he turned me and decided to create his own clan. The Olympic Coven!" Edward recounted.

Before they could dig any deeper into the subject, Ethan's cell phone rang.

"Hey Ethan, I'm with Umb! I thought he went with you!". Alice sent.

"Who's Umb?" Edward asked, looking at Ethan's cell phone.

"My... cat!". Ethan replied, not knowing how to explain what Umb is.

Ethan sent back to Alice, "Alice, ask Umb to go away!".

"He said he can't! I don't understand why, but he's jumping up and down. He looks frustrated!" Alice replied.

- He can't? How can he not? - Ethan thought, confused.

 

----

We are at the Start of the Month! The best time to become a Patre on!

 

I've made a Patre on to released advanced chapters! You can support me there if you want, thank you!

Read 14+ advanced chapters on Patre on! (2 Daily chapters released there!)

Patreon.com/toToru

 

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/VDQdW6gDQC

15