Chapter 5.1: Crush
401 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jezebel woke up with a flutter in her stomach. She was going out with Joharis today, and she wanted to impress him with her appearance. She let the servants help her dress, choosing one of her best dresses that hugged her lithe figure and accentuated her curves. She adorned herself with jewellery that sparkled like her blue eyes and matched her golden hair. She brushed her long blonde locks until they shone like silk and cascaded over her shoulders. She looked at herself in the mirror and felt a surge of confidence. She was a beautiful princess, and she hoped Joharis would notice.  

She felt a strange warmth in her chest whenever she was near him. She couldn’t name these feelings, but she knew they had grown stronger over the past month. She admired his perseverance and determination, as he endured the gruelling training that even the royal knights would struggle with. She noticed his physique had changed as well, becoming more muscular and defined. He was handsome before, but now he was irresistible.  

She sensed that he didn’t reciprocate her feelings, or at least he was holding back. She felt a barrier between them, something that prevented him from getting closer to her. Was he intimidated by her status as a princess? Did he not know that as a hero his status was almost equal to the royalty?  

She couldn’t put it off any longer. She had to talk to her father before her date with Joharis. She was afraid he would disapprove of her feelings for the hero, but she hoped he would at least listen to her. She drew a deep breath and left her room. She made her way to his study, where he usually resided at this time.  

She approached her father’s study, where two guards saluted her. She returned their gesture by nodding and knocked on the door. “Come in.” A deep voice invited her in. She opened the door and looked inside. She saw her father sitting at his desk, surrounded by papers and books.  

“Father, may I speak with you?” Jezebel asked as she entered the study.  

Verlon looked up from his papers and smiled warmly at his daughter. He was a tall man with a broad chest and a thick beard. His eyes were blue like hers, but his hair was dark and streaked with grey. He wore simple tunic and trousers, preferring comfort over pomp. He gestured for her to come closer. “Of course, my dear. What is it?”  

Jezebel walked up to his desk and sat on a chair opposite him. She clasped her hands nervously in her lap, feeling a knot in her throat. She didn’t know how to start this conversation, or how he would react to what she had to say. She decided to be vague and hope he would understand.  

“Father… I wanted to ask you about… about Joharis.” She said softly, lowering her gaze.  

Verlon raised an eyebrow, sensing something unusual in her tone. He knew she had grown close to the hero over the past month, but he didn’t think there was anything more than friendship between them.   

“What about him?” Verlon asked calmly.  

Jezebel bit her lip, feeling her cheeks heat up. She wished she could tell him everything that was in her heart, but she was afraid he would disapprove or laugh at her foolishness. She tried to sound casual and confident.  

“Well… you know we’re going out today after the ceremony… I mean… we’re going on a tour of the city… together.” She stammered.  

Verlon nodded slowly, wondering where this was going. “Yes… I know that.” He said patiently.  

Jezebel took a deep breath and continued. “And… I was wondering if you could… maybe… give me some advice.” She said quickly.  

“Advice? On what?” He asked curiously.  

Jezebel felt herself blush even more. She wished she could just say it out loud: Please help me make him like me! But she couldn’t bring herself to do that. She settled for something less direct.   

“On how to make him happy.” She said quietly.  

Verlon felt a pang in his chest as he heard his daughter’s words. He realized what she was trying to say, but he didn’t want to embarrass her by acknowledging it. He loved his daughter more than anything in the world, and he wanted her to be happy. But he also knew that Joharis was not an ordinary man. He was a hero summoned from another world to save theirs from the threat of the Demon Queen. He had a destiny and a duty that transcended any personal feelings or desires.  

He also had seen how Joharis interacted with Jezebel. He was kind and respectful, but also tried distancing himself. He treated her like a friend, not like a girlfriend. Verlon suspected that Joharis might had happened in his own world, someone that scarred him deeply. He also felt guilty for summoning him here against his will and forcing him to fight a war that was not his own.  

In the end he decided to help Jezebel win Joharis’ heart, even if it meant going against fate or destiny. He wanted her to experience love and happiness while she could, before the inevitable battle with Evilian came.  

He smiled gently at Jezebel and said: “My dear daughter, you don’t need any advice from me on how to make him happy. You already have everything you need. Your beauty, your intelligence, your kindness and your courage.”  

He reached out and took her hand in his own.  

“Just be yourself around him,” he continued softly.  

“Show him who you really are, a wonderful princess who deserves all the love in the world.”  

He paused for a moment and added “And if you ever need my help or support on anything… just let me know.”  

Jezebel felt a surge of gratitude and affection for her father. She leaned forward and hugged him tightly. “Thank you, Father. You’re the best.” She whispered in his ear. 

Verlon smiled and kissed her forehead. “You’re welcome, my dear. Now go and have fun. I’m sure Joharis will be impressed by your charm and grace.” 

Jezebel nodded and got up from her chair. She walked to the door and turned to look at him one last time. “I love you, Father.” She said softly. 

“I love you too, Jezebel.” He replied warmly. 

Jezebel smiled and waved at her father as she left the study. She felt a flutter in her stomach as she thought about seeing Joharis again. She hoped he would notice how much effort she had put into her appearance.  

She walked briskly through the corridors of the palace, greeting the servants and guards who bowed to her respectfully. She reached her room and grabbed a small purse with some coins and a handkerchief. She didn’t need anything else for their outing. She was ready to go. 

She hurried down the stairs and headed to the courtyard where a carriage was waiting for her. It was a simple but elegant vehicle, drawn by two white horses. The driver was an old man who had served her family for years. He smiled warmly at her as he opened the door for her. 

“Good day, Your Highness,” he said politely. 

“Good day, Thomas,” she replied cheerfully. 

She climbed into the carriage and sat on the cushioned seat. She looked out of the window and saw Joharis speaking to a servant. He looked handsome and heroic as always, but also slightly nervous. 

He caught her gaze and smiled at her. 

She felt her heart skip a beat. 

She waved at him eagerly. 

He waved back and walked towards the carriage. 

Should I crush a crush or not and let it blossom?

12