Chapter 3: Third Prince of Perisia
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lucian opened his eyes and woke up just in time before the butler could do so. He squinted as the light of the sun hit his eyes, the butler had already opened the curtains.

"A pleasant morning, Your Highness. Glad to see that you're awake."

You mean glad to see that I'm alive, huh? After poisoning my dinner?

The prince smiled sweetly, "Thank you, Henry. You can go now."

"These are the clothes I have prepared for you, allow me to dress you up."

Lucian sat up and gestured, "No need. Put it down, I can do it myself."

The butler smiled, "If you say so, Your Highness."

Butler Henry turned around to leave as Lucian asked him to. "Before you go," Lucian added, making the butler stop and listen to his next words. "Tell Her Majesty that I enjoyed the dinner with her."

The butler didn't face him, but Lucian knew he was smiling. "Certainly," he responded and left the third prince's chamber.

The third prince flopped back down to his bed and stared at the ceiling. Resting an arm on his eyes, "Why did I have to dream of that time?"

He hated looking back to the past, he suddenly dreamt of the time his whole family died except him and the time when he was a slave. It wasn't a good dream, but at the same time, it was, since he had a chance to see his adoptive mother, Imperial Concubine, Beliane.

Several years after Lucian was adopted, the Imperial Concubine died because of poisoning. The servant who put the poison did not confess even by torturing her, not one word until death.

Lucian had an idea of who was behind but he knew that His Majesty would be angered if the name left his mouth.

After all, the Emperor knew as well, but without proof, he cannot accuse her. His authority was not enough to battle the power of that of an Imperial Empress. Since the only evidence that he could get was the servant, who unfortunately died and was determined to not confess no matter what could happen to her.

There was a time when the Emperor hated Lucianus, thinking that it was because of him that Lady Beliane had died. Because she adopted him, unfortunate things happened. The empress hated that they had a son, and so this happened, and more reasons he could think of.

But he realized all those excuses were just to avoid the fact that it was his fault. He was not competent enough to protect them. It was normal in an imperial household. Fighting was normal in an imperial family, yet he still insisted to take Beliane to the palace as his concubine. He showed people how much he loves the concubine so that no one in the empire will attempt to treat her badly, and no one did. No one dared.

But of course, it didn't apply inside the imperial family.

Lucretius knew that if Lady Beliane was still here, she would not allow him to blame himself. And she will love him and Lucian with all her heart. The hate for Lucian did not last long. Lucian was the only remaining one that Beliane left. The only one that could remind him of the woman he loved—and loves until now.

And so Lucian was the most favored by the Emperor among the three princes.

Lucianus Blaine de Sinclair Percival.

That was his name after he was adopted by the Emperor and Lady Beliane.

He thought that his survival could finally be considered as lucky now, but it brought another misfortune. Death, not his, but of a loved one.

He sighed, "There's no use reminiscing."

He got off the bed and headed to the bathroom. After a while, he went back into the bedroom to dress. Instead of going to breakfast, he thought he should just go to the Emperor's chamber. He never joins the breakfast, so he must be resting in the room.

Lucian was late for breakfast anyway. He did so on purpose, avoiding to eat with the other princes, especially with the Imperial Empress and Consort. He disliked being with them. Acting all close with him, even though every day someone would try to kill him by their orders. He never did anything to them, he was kind from the moment he first stepped inside the palace. But he realized that no matter how nice a person is, kindness has no value inside the imperial family and other nobles.

He opened the room of his chamber, and there were unfamiliar knights guarding outside. But they could also be men from the side of the Empress, keeping an eye on him.

Servants and other people like Lucian a lot better than the other princes, since he was easy to approach and has a good vibe around him. Humble yet knows how to show off power at certain times when needed. They indeed like him, except for the servants serving the Empress and other nobles that support her.

The knights didn't say anything to him even after seeing him. 'They didn't even greet me with an imperial phrase as they should to a royal,' he thought.

He smiled at them, "Good morning." he greeted, before walking away.

The two guards' faces slightly reddened, "G-good morning." they burst out suddenly. They hit each other and whispered, "What's with the casual greeting?"

"It suddenly left my mouth."

"Stupid."

"He doesn't seem to mind, he even greeted us nicely."

Lucian could still hear them as he walked and a smile formed on his face, it looks like they weren't men sent by the Empress."They must be new."

The corners of his lips slowly turned down when he saw the first prince and second prince walking in his direction.

Leo Inigo de Sinclair Percival, the first prince, His Majesty's son with the empress. Luca Evan de Sinclair Percival, His Majesty's son with the consort.

Why are they here? The breakfast must have ended early, Lucian thought.

They all stopped, facing each other. Luca who was behind the son of the empress waved at him with a small smile, Lucian returned it with a small bow. If Lucian acts all close with the second prince, Luca might get in trouble. He doesn't want that to happen. Especially since Luca was different from Leo, he doesn't have ill intentions.

Lucian stepped aside to give way, "Go ahead,"

Leo raised a brow, "Why else would we go to this wing if not for you? Are you stupid?"

Why is this moron acting like a child, despite being a 25-year-old?

Lucian smiled, "I see, so you came for me. What do you need?"

"As per the order of my mother, Her Majesty, we had to make sure you come to breakfast." Leo said, emphasizing the empress.

"I see."

"I bet you were about to escape so you could run to His Majesty and tattle." He said with crossed arms.

"Tattling is only done if there is wrongdoing. Or perhaps you know you've done something wrong, hm?"

"What, not me! It's—" He didn't continue his words upon almost saying something wrong, Lucian wanted to laugh.

"Well, even if I tell you, no one will believe you without evidence," he said.

He went near Lucian's ear and whispered, "Isn't that what happened to your mother's case?"

Something inside Lucian snapped, causing his smile to disappear. His hand slightly trembled for a second, but he held himself back. He can't do anything, he can't cause a scene or hurt the first prince.

"This is the power of being the son of the empress."

He closed his eyes and pushed the first prince lightly away from him. He smiled again, showing that he was not bothered.

"I guess that power isn't too great if it can't even get the emperor to like you and your mother."

The first prince froze, gritting his teeth in anger. Lucian walked past them, he acted tough but he wanted to cry and hit Leo in the face. Luca grabbed Leo's arm, nervous that he might hurt Lucian at any moment. But Leo pushed him away to the side.

He turned to the third prince who was walking away from them, "You are nothing! Nothing but the child of that trash woman—!"

Lucian turned his head to him and shot him a cold glare, "I dare you to say that in front of His Majesty."

Leo went silent and clenched his fist.

"You dare not, right?" Lucian asked with a sneer, "Because it will make His Majesty dislike you more than he already has."

Leo burst and grabbed Lucian by the collar, "Do you think His Majesty would like you if your mother wasn't Beliane?! He wouldn't even bother to look your way!"

"Oh, right. Just like you?"

"Father only favors you because your mother is Beliane…" Leo repeated, perhaps this time he said it not to Lucian, but as an excuse that he could say to himself.

"By now, you should realize that being the son of Concubine Beliane is much better right, First Prince?"

Luca looked at Leo with worry, but Leo remained silent and didn't say anything more. Lucian left them, he couldn't stand staying with them for even a minute. Whenever they meet, they would only fight, with Luca stuck in between.

As Lucian walked away, Luca held Leo's hand. The first prince noticed Luca holding him but did not complain.

Luca stared at Lucian's back until he was far enough not to be seen. 'Leo never hated Lady Beliane…' he thought, wanting to say it to Lucian.

But the crack is far too broken to be fixed.

Lucian made his way to the chamber of the emperor. He was annoyed, his mood was ruined early in the morning. If not a fight with the other princes, it's either the empress and other nobles attempting to kill him.

Imperial Concubine Belaine is already dead, the Emperor who favors him is the only one keeping him alive.

As long as the Emperor is all right, he will be fine.

"Your Highness!" A servant came out of the emperor's chamber in panic.

"What's wrong?"

"His Majesty the Emperor collapsed!"

He will be fine, he said.

 

Liking the story so far? Add it to your list and stay tuned for updates. Thank you for reading!

0