Chapter 5: Off to Lumneve
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"His Highness the Third Prince said he does not want to see anyone in the meantime."

"How impudent. He knows we came all the way here, yet cannot even show his face for a short while?"

The head butler bowed his head, "Forgive me, Your Highness." he said to the First prince who kept insisting to go inside Lucian's chamber.

But Leo was having none of it. "I do not need his permission anyway, move aside!" he barked, ready to force his way into Lucian's chambers.

Before he could act, a commanding voice cut through the air. "Stop."

It was the Empress.

Leo, who was about to barge in, immediately halted at the command of his mother. The Empress who has yet to say a single word ever since they arrived in front of the Third Prince's chamber finally spoke.

The First Prince froze, his hand still on the door handle, as his mother stepped forward, her piercing gaze locking onto his. "Mind your behavior, First Prince."

"Yes, Mother."

Leo stood quietly, not uttering another word unless the Empress spoke to him. His mother would give him anything he wanted, but she was strict and as merciless as the emperor. Being her son does not exempt him from the punishments she would give whenever he made a mistake.

The Empress narrowed her eyes at the butler, "Henry." She uttered his name with emphasis, her tone sounded as if it was warning him beforehand not to lie to her. "How is he doing?"

"His Highness is currently resting, he still does not want to come out. What happened with the Emperor has affected him quite terribly, Your Majesty."

"Hmm, he must have given up, thinking there was nothing more he could do about Lucretius."

It has already been three days since the Emperor collapsed. The Third Prince has been inside since then. The Empress stared at the door, 'That child has lost all hope for living, I shouldn't have expected much. How weak.' she thought.

Not wanting to waste time for someone who doesn't want to open his door, the Empress turned to leave, "First Prince, Let's go."

"Are we just going to leave like this?" Leo asked, surprised.

"Let him be," she commanded, before turning and walking away.

Seeing the condition that the emperor was in, she's guessing the old man doesn't have much time. She took one last glance at the door of the Third Prince. 'Are you going to stay there until that man dies?'

She returned his gaze in front of her and left. Leo looked at the butler, he didn't bother hiding his expression that showed how displeased he was. "He must be depressed, at least tell him not to kill himself," Leo said with a snort and marched away, following behind the Empress.

Whether it was mockery or serious concern, the butler had no idea. He let out a sigh and smiled before turning around to open the door of the Third Prince's chamber. Just as he entered, he found the bed empty. It was neat and fixed, with no sign of someone lying on it.

"Henry."

Without turning his head, he saw the Third Prince from the corner of his eye. So he was leaning by the door all this time, he must have heard the Empress and his son.

"Why are you helping me?"

The butler smiled, "Your Highness, is that even a question? It is only natural since I am the head butler of the imperial family."

"You would help the imperial members, but you wouldn't do so for me."

"Where did you get that assumption, Your Highness?"

"Because you know that I am adopted."

Henry stared at him, 'Looks like he remembered that I was there back then when he was 4 years old. The day when he was a slave that almost got sold.' The butler thought.

"That doesn't seem to be enough reason to think that I wouldn't help you."

"You report to Her Majesty all the time, you must be on her side. You wouldn't do anything to help me because you support her."

The butler furrowed his brow and let out a snort, "Why don't you assume that I'm going against the emperor as well, Your Highness? That's how your words are turning to sound."

It was the first time Lucian saw the imperial head butler with such a serious expression. Was he offended? He can't blame him for asking, he was just confused. Lucian couldn't help but wonder what the butler's intentions were for covering for him.

"Why did you lie to her? I was expecting you'd tell her what I was doing."

"I dislike lying when I am asked to report. But I simply do not want to ruin whatever you are planning to do." Henry answered.

At that moment, Lucian knew that the butler wasn't entirely on the Empress's side. He was just doing his job, but the emperor holds more importance to him to the point that he would lie. 'Because he knows that what I'm planning is for His Majesty.'

He took a deep breath, "I see…thank you."

Henry smiled, "You should continue the meeting you were having, Your Highness."

Lucian nodded and walked towards the table he was at earlier before the Empress and the First Prince went to visit him. He was having a meeting with the elders at the magic tower. It was a private one they held only with the emperor's most trusted wizards. If it were people other than them, it would be dangerous since they wouldn't know whether there was a spy among them.

Lucian pressed the button in the device they use for communication, immediately showing their images. "Welcome back, Your Highness."

"So what do you all think?"

"We could use teleportation. But among us here, there is only one who has that ability."

The wizard he referred to spoke, "But Your Highness, my teleportation only applies to the user of the ability. I'm afraid I cannot teleport all of us there, or even just the two of us."

Lucian remained silent, thinking. "But still you yourself can do it, right?"

"Yes, Your Highness."

"Do you all still have that magic stone for exchanging places?"

"Yes…but why?"

"Have him teleport to Lumneve and we'll swap our places."

Lumneve was a place no one dares go to. Whoever goes there leaves immediately because they cannot stay long or else they will freeze to death. It was not only because of the cold but also because Fang, the Ruler of Wolves and the High Wizard of Perisia, resides there.

No one would go to Lumneve for no reason. Those who attempted to enter were only there for one thing, The Elixir of Life. A drop of it could prolong your lifespan, if you take it all then you will achieve immortality.

Swapping places could lessen the time he would spend going there. So it wouldn't immediately make him freeze. If he brings another magic stone for heat, then he'll be fine. The heating stone won't stay for long, but it's enough time for him to get the elixir. He just needs a little amount, perhaps he could convince Fang.

'But what if I can't? What if Fang won't let me take even a drop?' he thought.

He was starting to overthink and worry, but rather than just worrying, he shouldn't be wasting his time.

"Let's do it. Let's do it now."

"N-now?" 

"Prepare the materials."

Lucian turned the device off, not waiting for their response. Seeing how they all stood up before the end of the call, they must be in a hurry to prepare.

Now, he'll go to Lumneve to get the elixir. It was the only solution.

 

Liking the story so far? Add it to your list and stay tuned for updates. Thank you for reading!

0