Chapter 1 – The Life of An Extra
54 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mami was 45, alcoholic and obese, and in constant need of money. She had started drinking as a teenager, and it had taken over her life. She had lost her job several years ago due to her addiction, and since then she had been unable to find another one.

Most of his days were spent trying to find money to buy alcohol. She had exhausted all the savings she had, and had even borrowed money from friends and family. However, at this point, she had exhausted all her resources.

His health was also deteriorating. She had difficulty moving around because of her weight, and she suffered from high blood pressure and diabetes. But even that hadn't been enough to make her stop drinking.

She often spent entire days doing nothing, sitting on the sofa drinking beer. Sometimes she would have tantrums, where she would break things in her house or yell at people on the phone.

Mami had also lost most of her friends to her addiction. She had lied and deceived her relatives on several occasions to obtain money, and some of them no longer wanted to deal with her.

Even though she was at rock bottom, Mami refused to seek help. She was ashamed of her situation, and she was afraid of being judged by others. She was convinced that she could get out of this situation on her own, but the reality was that she was at an impasse.

Her life had become a vicious circle, where she constantly lacked money to buy alcohol, which only worsened her addiction and her health. She was stuck in a desperate situation, and she saw no way out.

After ten weeks, she finally found a job as an extra in a movie.

Her life started to get better and better, she found her friends.

And she was becoming less and less dependent on alcohol.

My name is Mami, and I am an extra in the film industry. I was recruited to play minor roles in background scenes and to fill empty spaces on film sets. I love my job, even though most people don't see what I do as a real career. For me, it's a way to be part of something bigger, to see the world through the eyes of the directors and to experience adventures that I could never have imagined otherwise.

My typical day starts early in the morning, when I get up before dawn to get ready for the day ahead. I spend hours doing my hair, applying makeup and choosing the perfect outfit for the role I'm going to play. Then I hop in my car and drive to set, ready for a long day of filming.

Once on set, I head to the extras area, where I meet up with my colleagues. We then spend the early hours of the day waiting, often in scorching sun or rain, waiting for the production team to be ready to integrate us into the scene. Despite the long waits, I always find something to do to keep me busy, whether it's reading a book, chatting with other extras or exploring behind the scenes.

Finally, when the production team is ready, we are called to join the scene. That's when I feel really alive, that I'm immersed in a different world. I focus on the instructions I receive and do my best to play my part, even if it's just walking in the background or pretending to talk with someone.

At the end of the day, I am exhausted but happy. I contributed to the making of a film, I met interesting people, and I had a unique experience. Of course, there are days when the work is harder than others, but I still love what I do. That's why I wouldn't change my life as an extra for anything in the world.

At least, that's what I believed until I was transmigrated to another world after my awakening, the modern but fantastical world of the film I was playing as an actress.

1