Escape
667 4 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          With lightning speed, Fiona's voice dropped, and in an instant, she vanished from her original position only to materialize behind one of the enhanced humans. She unleashed a devastating cyclone kick propelled him forward, sending the hapless warrior soaring through the air, his form tracing an ethereal arc over tens of meters.

            The bewildered onlookers barely had time to process the astonishing display before Fiona vanished once more,and suddenly, she manifested above her airborne prey, sending a thunderous kick straight down. The force was titanic, sending the airborne warrior hurtling into the ground, creating a crater that splintered the earth beneath. In a seamless sequence of movements, Fiona disappeared and reappeared beside him, clutching an injection that swiftly found its place in his neck.

            Only two seconds have passed since the start of the battle, and yet one of them had already fallen. Sweat trickled down Chleopatra's face as she gave a telepathic order to her teammates. "Fall back and regroup," Cleopatra's telepathic command reached the remaining members, her tone authoritative and resolute. The team immediately started retreating, and their eyes darted around the battlefield in search of Fiona's next strike.

            Meanwhile, Chloe was sprinting back towards the exit, her heart hammering in her chest as she navigated through the maze-like facility. She glanced back only once, catching sight of several guards rushing towards the room she had just left. Taking a deep breath, she pushed herself to move even faster.

            Fiona, standing amidst the falling debris and dust from the battle, chuckled at the retreating team. Her eyes locked onto Cleopatra. "Running away, Chleo? That's not like you."

          Cleopatra, still maintaining a defensive position, replied defiantly, "We're not running, Fiona. We're strategizing."

"Strategize all you want. You can't win." Fiona's tone was chilling. She vanished once again, this time appearing directly in front of Cleopatra. Her hand moved in a blur, aiming another injection at Cleopatra's neck.

However, Cleopatra was prepared this time. With a swift side-step, she dodged the attack and immediately counterattacked with a high kick towards Fiona's head. But Fiona was already gone, materializing a few meters away.

Chloe made her way out of the facility and notified Chleopatra telepathically, saying, "I'm outside now, Aunt Chleo. What exactly is going on?"

Relief washed over Cleopatra, but it was short-lived. Fiona was on the move again. She reappeared amongst the retreating team, causing chaos with her lightning-fast attacks and unexpected movements.

Chleopatra replied, " Don't return to the ship yet. Wait around for about 30 minutes before you return. None of us will be at the ship. Just make sure you escape and make your way back to the base. Give Alexander the map details and tell him Fiona and the others have switched sides, and the same could possibly happen to us."

"But Aunt Chleo—" Chloe started to protest, concern for her aunt and the rest of the team welling up inside her.

"No buts, Chloe," Chleopatra cut her off firmly, projecting an air of calm despite the chaos unfolding around her. " Just listen to your orders."

            Despite their best efforts to regroup and counterattack, Fiona was too fast. One by one, they were knocked down until only Cleopatra was left standing. She gritted her teeth, and her eyes narrowed as she stared at Fiona. "This isn't over, Fiona," she vowed.

Fiona simply shrugged. "It will be soon. And don't fret. I'll ensure the little mice you dispatched are taken care of."

Cleopatra's frown deepened at Fiona's revelation. It was impossible for Chloe to be detected by surveillance cameras, even those from the Hidden Society. Someone else must possess an ability to locate her without visual cues.

While Cleopatra mulled over this, Fiona vanished. Cleopatra tried to anticipate and block the attack, relying on her memories of previous duels with Fiona, but the anticipated assault never came. Instead, Fiona's voice whispered into Cleopatra's ear, "I miss this ship. It was so handy." Her tone was almost nostalgic. "The missions we undertook, the battles we conquered together. It's a shame you chose the losing side, Chleo. But that'll change soon."

Cleopatra swiveled to face Fiona, now leaning casually against the ship. A soft gasp escaped her lips, "How... How did you...?"

Before Cleopatra could complete her question, Fiona interjected with a smirk, "How did I find the mouse, or how did I find the ship? Which 'how' are you wondering, Chleo?"

Fiona's words struck like a viper's bite. Her taunting smirk left no room for doubt, "Maybe you're not as clever as you think, Chleo."

Cleopatra's breath hitched at the implied threat to Chloe. But she knew she couldn't afford to lose her cool. "I'm asking how you found us, Fiona," she said, trying to keep her voice steady.

"Well," Fiona drawled, leaning casually against the ship's exterior, " Maybe a little birdie might've sung a song, or maybe it was just some blind luck. Who knows?"

Fiona paused, a wicked smile playing on her lips, "Let's just say the universe has its way of revealing secrets. Or perhaps I'm just better at the game than you are."

Cleopatra clenched her fists, her heart pounding in her chest. "This isn't a game, Fiona."

"For you, it might not be." Fiona's voice was as cold as ice. "But for me, it's just another move on the chessboard."

"And you think you've won?" Cleopatra shot back, her voice echoing through the deserted battlefield.

Fiona's laughter was cruel and devoid of warmth. "Oh, Chleo," she cooed, "I know I've won. But don't worry. It's all part of the game. And who knows, maybe next time you'll be the victor."

In a flash and without uttering another word, Fiona disappeared once more. This time, she took with her Chloe's sole lifeline, the last beacon of escape. All that was left was Cleopatra, standing amidst the quiet desolation of the battlefield. Her comrades were incapacitated, her ship stolen, and the spark in her eyes began to wane, reflecting an aura of defeat.

Cleopatra sent a telepathic message to Chloe, her final instructions echoing in the young girl's mind. "Run, Chloe. I'm sorry your first mission had to end this way. You must escape. The ship is compromised. You're on your own now; find your way back to the base. There's a hidden outpost in the South Federation. Your wristwatch will guide you there."

Chloe's heart pounded against her chest, a drum of terror and anxiety. She could hear the strain in her aunt's voice, her desperation amplifying Chloe's fear. "Aunt Chleo..." Chloe tried to protest, but Cleopatra cut her off.

"There's no time, Chloe. Run. Now."

Chloe had never heard such a plea for urgency in her aunt's voice before. Tears welled in her eyes as she broke into a sprint, adrenaline fueling her every step. She stole one last glance back towards the direction of Chleopatra before disappearing into the wilderness beyond.

Back on the battlefield, Cleopatra was left in the eerie calm following the storm, the silence only interrupted by Fiona's sudden reappearance in front of her.

Fiona's eyes morphed into crescent moons as she observed the dwindling spirit in Cleopatra's eyes. With a cruel smile, she taunted, "I told you, the battle was over before it started. You could have saved us all the effort."

Just as Fiona moved to lay a hand on Cleopatra, a spark of defiance flashed in Cleopatra's eyes. She lashed out with a forceful right hook aimed at Fiona, who nimbly teleported behind Cleopatra, avoiding the blow. Cleopatra, however, swiftly pivoted to launch a deadly elbow strike.

But Fiona was ready. With a swift motion, she intercepted Cleopatra's elbow, using her other hand to plunge an injection into Cleopatra just as she had done to the others. The liquid worked quickly, causing Cleopatra to falter and then crumple to the ground, her consciousness succumbing to the encroaching darkness.

Fiona looked down at the fallen Chleopatra, a cold smirk playing on her lips. "You always were the stubborn one, Chleo,"

A voice came in from the earpiece Fiona was wearing, a calm, male voice that contrasted with the chaos of the scene, "What's the situation, Fiona?"

"All neutralized, I just need to catch the mouse that had escaped."

The voice replied after a slight pause, " She's heading West, moving at over 400km/h. "

Fiona casually replied, "Don't worry, She can't escape." Before cutting off the communication. She looked down at Chleopatra's figure on the ground with a slight blush on her face before picking her up and teleporting away.

23