Finding Shelter
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 7 - Finding Shelter

Why had she accepted that bedamned mission? Samira was furious because the day was completely ruined. She didn't blame Greyness for any of this. After all, he clarified this wasn't his idea of a fun experience. "Not only that, but he's injured because of some fools that don't want the prophecy to come real." Irately, Samira fumed and swiped at sweat droplets streaming down her face.

Oh wait, that wasn't tears.

That was actual rain.

She'd forgotten that a storm erupted on top of everything else occurring at about the same time. "Sheesh, what a nasty mess all of this turned into."

Unfortunately for the extremists and other parties involved, there were two endings. It seemed all of them wanted the destruction to end except for a minority of individuals. Samira was one of that latter group.

All around her, as she ran, everything began to blur in her vision as Samira finally realized her limit was reached. "I'm sorry I can't go any further. I need to administer suppressants to regain my composure." She watched Hicante warily.

Not for the first time had Samira suspected him of having royal blood within him. Now for the first time, she could tell just from watching him move around. He was no longer restrained in overly formal robes and multiple layers of clothing. Still, his silhouette was one of muscularity and flexibility. He also reminded her of a fox, nothing like the vampire or Raj who radiated wildness back there.

That situation was frightening. Those two men had some history between them. As Samira considered the case, she regarded Hicante with wariness. "Just how do you know those two anyway?" He may have been reincarnated into Brilliance rather than pulled from another world.

Hicante glanced at her with wariness. "I was reincarnated from a nasty explosion that killed me." He acknowledged with weariness. Even as he spoke, he used something to stab his left shoulder.

Samira winced at the casualness of his action.

"While my sister wishes me to find a mate, I don't think she would condone intermarriage with a cousin," Hicante confirmed Samira's suspicion. "Banishment or not, we are still blood-related, and it is too close for comfort."

As he spoke, Hicante glanced at Samira. "You mentioned something about needing suppressants?"

Still panting heavily, Samira nodded. "I'm an omega." She grimaced. "I typically carry something with me wherever I go to have fun without consequences." Who said she had to be pure on her wedding day? That was merely the opinion of elders. Samira wasn't one of those meek, submissive little princesses like her older and younger sisters.

Hicante grunted. "You remind me of someone I once knew." He shrugged. "She was also a cousin but died early because she made a wrong choice in the man she'd taken as a husband." He handed her a bottle. "Omega suppressants." He studied the area while Samira took two pills and dry-swallowed them. Immediately, she could breathe much more effortlessly and focus on the situation. "Hmm, this area looks familiar, but I'm unsure why." Samira caught Hicante frowning. "What is it?"

Hicante sighed. "We can't remain out in the forest. I can sense others roaming around. This time it isn't someone in the heat either." His mouth tightened. "It feels as if we were driven here on purpose."

As Samira examined their surroundings more closely, she stiffened. "Yes, I recognize this area. It is one of the shrines dedicated to erotic activities and simultaneously revering past Oracle Readers." She remembered something else. "I heard that our current Oracle Reader will soon pass the mantle to a successor."

Hicante's entire body shook with frustration. "Now I'm beginning to realize why we were sent here. I don't think Raj knew what would happen when we separated." He shook his head in aggravation. "Come, we can go rest in another place. Neither of those shrines will protect you in this situation."

His words caused Samira much dismay. She hoped he would explain what he meant with his grumbled complaints. "What exactly do you mean?"

Hicante raked a hand through his hair. "I'm saying that you were able to run wild this long, and do what you pleased, is that they've picked you as the next successor."

"What?" Samira gaped at Hicante in shock. Such an idea never occurred to her. That was the last thing she wanted to undertake in her lifetime. "I'm too young for that."

"I agree, and too hot-headed." Hicante grinned and fended off her swipe of nails. "Now, now, stop that. I didn't mean it as an insult but a compliment."

Samira thought of it as nothing of the sort and harrumphed. "Fine, lead the way. I want to know more about what you think is happening here." She also was curious about his past. It occurred to her that his connection to Grey might also have something to do with this whole mess.

"This way, princess, we don't have all night." Hicante gestured to a center partition between the trees she hadn't seen a moment ago.

"Uh, when did that appear?" Samira stared at it warily.

"Just now because I willed it to do so. No one will be able to find us once we go through the opening." Hicante reassured her. "It also means we can talk comfortably and find a place to rest and pass the time, sleep to recuperate." He studied her with a thoughtful gaze. "I can see that Grey wasn't the only one wounded in that last strike."

Huh? Startled, Samira looked at her hands and arms and grunted. Not only that, but her clothing barely covered her anymore. The fact that he wasn't looking at her body reassured Samira though she wasn't sure why. Usually, she would feel somewhat rebuffed when a man didn't admire her. Hicante didn't inspire that sensation within her. "Fine, let's go." She walked toward the entrance, and Hicante accompanied her without commenting further. He'd only say something to ensure she would heed his request.

*

Heh, what a catastrophe indeed, Hicante saw wheels turning in Samira's head when she finally grasped the meaning of her unlimited freedom and the price she'd pay if caught and not killed. Indeed, someone chose her as the Oracle Reader successor, and it wasn't the current one's favorite notion either. The current Reader was out of favor, and someone wanted her gone.

Hicantle just hoped someone monitored the priests and priestesses around the Oracle Reader. Otherwise, that woman would die before she could enjoy her retirement. 

Hicante frowned. Come to think of it. He'd never heard of any Oracle REader enjoying retirement. Instead, it was forced seclusion and eventual death. He shivered at the thought.

No, he couldn't imagine his eldest sister resisting that scenario. If he recalled correctly, Ralia would shove a knife into whoever her would-be assailant was before they could complete their missions. At least when she'd been a noble woman, that was. A sigh escaped him.

Well, now that they were in a safe location, Hicante could speak freely. He just hoped that Samira would believe what he was about to tell her.

"So what is it that you wished to inform me about?" Samira turned to face him as they walked down the secluded path, eventually wounding into a clearing.

Before their eyes was a small cottage. There, an elderly couple waved at them in greeting. Hicante waved in response, and they vanished into the air. "We can go inside, warm up, bath, get some clean clothes and then eat." Hicante sighed when Samira scowled. "You're barely decent, and I'm still a male." He growled.

"Oh," Samira winced. "I forgot about that problem."

She'd also need to remember that their pheromones could run amok anytime. Hicante shook his head. "You can go to the left wing or upstairs. I'm going into the right side to clean up." He figured he was a mess anyway, just from having been in the middle of work earlier.

As Hicante washed up, dressed, and headed into the kitchen, he heard voices murmuring and smiling. Huh, so Maxim was there. That was good. He glanced around the corner and saw Samira sitting in a corner, observing what was happening. Maxim glanced around and spotted Hicante. "Ah, here he is. I'm sure you two would be more comfortable without me present. Let me know when you're done conversing." Maxim bowed politely and exited the kitchen.

Hicante entered and regarded Samira. "I trust he didn't do anything to offend you?"

Samira shook her head. "He managed to clarify a few things that confused me. As well as who the other candidate was for the Oracle Reader."

Ah, yes, the misfortunate event that he'd managed to interrupt with his swift decision to take her with him. Hicante rubbed his left ear. "So, do you want me to continue talking about the earlier subject or not?"

Samira thought about it. "Yes, I do. I think together we might be able to figure out a solution to the problem."

Hicante blinked. From his viewpoint, there were multiple problems, so he needed to figure out which one she wanted to pursue.

Samira saw his confusion. "First, I want to know more about Greyness, you, and Raj's connection."

Okay, now that he could talk about at least. "Hmm, where to begin?"

Hicante shrugged. "As I mentioned, I was caught up in an explosion in a cave with a colleague, Monte. I was Jameson Blanchette in that dimension."

Samira's eyes widened. "Dimension? There are multiple layers to our existence?" That hadn't even occurred to her. Suddenly she winced and pressed her hands up against her temples. "Ugh, my head hurts."

Was she going to puke? Hicante tilted his head, eyes narrowing as he scanned her superficially and winced. Oh dear, she experienced an awakening of past lifetimes. What a way to get a revelation she didn't need. "I suppose I should pause this conversation."

Samira side-eyed him. "No, keep talking," She requested, "I'm seeing cascading images that're corresponding with what you're telling me."

Yikes, now that was unusual. "Fine, I'll continue my tale." Maybe she was Monte? That would be awkward because he was one straight fellow from his recollections. Hicante shrugged. "As I said, we were experimenting to see whether we could break his curse, preferably without dying. Greyness's curse of being a vampire, among other things."

Samira nodded, and her mouth tightened. "She sighed. "For what it's worth, I'm not Monte. I was an observer, I guess, but I don't know why I was there in the first place. I don't think I was taking notes." She stiffened. "Ah, I was the culprit who was sent to cause the explosion." She folded her arms. "Well, how nasty was that?"

Hmm, Hicante frowned. "I would've felt some intent if you'd meant us harm." He tapped his jaw. "Which only means one thing, you were forced into that situation without awareness of what was to come." A disposable pawn, but who would've sent her? That was a significant issue Hicante would discuss with others when he had the opportunity. If indeed, there would still be a future to anticipate.

0