Chapter 11
52 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Using his right leg to propel him forward, Yori lunged forward, taking advantage of the distraction. The canine turned back to Yori just in time to see his dagger coming towards its face. The blade embedded under the wolf’s jaw. Letting out a muffled yelp that turned to a growl, the wolf tried flailed it’s legs, using the wall to help pounce on the human causing it pain. Once again using what he had learned in his previous encounters, Yori spun, dislodging the knife that remained in his right hand. The wolf dove at the empty air where he had been standing. He jumped onto the fur-covered back of the wolf, tackling it to the ground. With one final stab, and accompanying yell, he plunged the dagger through the creature’s ear. A final yelp escaped its mouth as it fell limp.

Yori wiggled the blade back and forth at it had gotten stuck in the skull of the canine. A screeching sound echoed in the cave as metal was drag against bone. The blade emerged, free from its makeshift sheathe. He had defeated a wolf, and had not sustained any injuries. If he could keep this up he would not have to limit himself to a wolf or two a day.

There were plenty of trees near the cave entrance, including some fallen branches. Gathering firewood was no issue, so Yori decided to light a fire. His father had taught him what stones could be used to create a spark and after trying and failing several times, he finally got it to light. Because he was mainly using twigs, keeping it going was a bit of a challenge. Yori was forced to make several trips outside, but a fire was the best way to keep away other animals. Yori laid the wolf next to the fire, thinking back to how Garl had taught him to process the animal to maximize his profits. He had not drained the animal, so the floor of the cave became wet with blood.

Hopefully there is a stream nearby, because I really need to rinse the blood out of here before it attracts predators and flies.

His stomach grumbled.

Oh, and for drinking, too.

It was getting quite dark out as the sun sank behind the treeline. Realizing that he had not eaten anything since breakfast, Yori took the meat he had processed from the wolf and cooked it for his dinner over the fire. It ended up slightly dry with a few charred edges.

This is a lot of meat, but I should probably try to cook all of it. I’m sure it won’t be worth anything by tomorrow if I leave it raw since it’ll go bad before I can get it back to Garl. If only I was a good cook like mom, I’m sure the value would skyrocket.

Yori chuckled at his own joke in his solitude as he watched the meat sizzle. There was sincerity and pain in his laugh as the thought of his mom made his joke sting inadvertently. He was right though, there was no way the meat would hold any value after a day of sitting out in the cave. After enjoying his simple meal and adding more wood to the quaint fire, Yori finally let himself lean back and feel a sense of relief. He could not help but think about how he could be more efficient in his hunting. If he could just be faster and quieter, he could hunt much more competently.

The main issue with hunting wolves is their teeth, but hat can I do about it? It would be great if I had a shield, or even an arm guard to protect myself from being bit, but there’s no way I could afford that.

He thought back to the previous day when the other wolf had bitten his forearm. A thought came to him as his eyes scanned the discarded remains of the wolf. Looking over at the remaining skeleton of his most recent prey Yori had an idea. He rustled through the bones, sorting them by size and possible function.

I could bind the ribs to my left arm and use it as an impromptu arm guard. Then maybe I could block a bite, or at least reduce the likelihood of taking major damage. But what to bind them with…

Glancing around the cave Yori was hoping there would miraculously be some rope lying around. Unfortunately, the cave was barren. Tiptoeing outside, Yori grabbed a branch of a young honeysuckle bush and broke it off. It seemed flexible, perhaps it could work as a base for the rib bones. Unable to find a better option, he also plucked some long grasses as binding. He experimented with these materials, but the grass was too fragile and kept breaking off.

I may have to go buy some rope tomorrow, but that sets me back again…

Unhappy with this conclusion, Yori continued to ponder his options. Since it was the middle of Spring and he would likely not have to worry about it getting too cold, he decided he could sacrifice the sleeves of his tunic. It was a tunic that his mother had made him. The threads and material had been woven from their own sheep’s’ wool. It was not the best quality, but to him it was one of the few material items he had left from his previous life. He resolved that, although the shirt was important to him, surviving was imperative, and began to tear the sleeves off to use for binding. He experimented with different ways of binding the ribs to his forearm using his torn shirt sleeves until the meat was finished.

Once he was finished eating and making his arm guard, Yori added more wood to the fire and retreated to the back of the cave. A warm breeze stirred the air within his abode. Thankful it was a warm night, Yori laid his head on some leaves he had gathered and closed his eyes. With the exertion from the day sleep came quickly.

* * *

As the sun rose and illuminated the boy’s face, he stirred and awoke. Yori stretched, yawned, and attempted to sit up, ready to take on his next foe. However, the cave floor was not kind to his body over the night. As it turns out, stone does not make a very comfortable bed. His muscles were stiff and sore, making it difficult for him to move. Stretching his aching muscles further, he eventually was able to move in a mostly normal manor as the pain faded.

After hunting today I’ll have to make an improvised bed. Some grass and leaves should work. At least the fire did its job.

The once ignited sticks and twigs were nothing but a charred pile of coal, but it was still quite warm. Yori was grateful that he had managed to keep away any potential predators. Although making a bed would definitely be helpful, he had to keep hunting as his main priority. He needed the money and experience that came with the kill. Yori would have to contemplate a bed solution while he was waiting for wolves to show up.

I should probably light another fire to keep others away from my wares.

Since the coals were still warm it was easy for him to reignite with new fuel to burn. Once the fire was going strong, he left to find his next prey. Like he had done the day before, he found a sturdy tree with a branch that could easily support him. Climbing to a height that was well above eyesight of a wolf, but would not hurt him if he jumped down, Yori waited for a lone wolf to pounce on. While he did so he contemplated a solution for his mattress, and perhaps even a blanket. He considered using the wolf pelts, but they were not dried or tanned yet. They were also his main source of income. He could not afford to sacrifice them for his comfort. As he pondered this issue, he realized another issue he had caused for himself. Yori had skipped breakfast in his excitement. His stomach groaned, threatening to give away his position to any potential prey. He considered getting down and finding some berries or eating some of the meat he dried, but just as he went to get up a wolf appeared in the clearing below.

Adrenaline took over as he leapt without thinking, thrilled that a wolf had appeared so quickly. The excitement of getting stronger, of getting closer to leveling up (a feat his parents had never accomplished in their entire lives), took over as he immediately forgot about needing food. In his exhilaration though he did not notice the brush still rustling until it was too late. As Yori landed with his blade in the wolf’s spine, another gray-furred canine appeared in the clearing. A pack-mate of his current target. The wolf under him let out a cry and wriggled to either side, throwing its body back and forth. I attempted to face Yori to exact revenge. Its pack-mate lunged at the boy, trying to tear him off its partner. Yori flung his left arm in front of his face to protect himself. The wolf grasped his arm, teeth making a loud tapping sound as they connected with the bone arm guard. Yori’s eyebrows flared in surprise as he was not positive his makeshift shield was going to be any use. If nothing else it managed to block the bite. The rib bones making up the arm guard splintered from the force of the wolf’s jaw. The force knocked Yori off the injured mate, but Yori’s shield had succeeded in its job of preventing the bite from penetrating his arm. He took that as a success despite his vulnerable position. Quickly regaining his senses, he thrust the blade towards the wolf, aiming for its ear as that had proven effective before. The wolf twitched its head back, but not quickly enough as the blade rang true, plunging into the canine’s skull and killing it almost instantly. The wolf fell limp, but its jaw remained locked in the rib pieces. He shook his arm in attempt to free himself from the grip, but to no avail.

“Oh son of a-“

Yori waved his arm around once more, but the teeth were lodged and would not loosen. He had to give up as he remembered the other wolf. Although injured, it was still a threat. The creature had its head ducked, eyeing him warily. Yori was surprised it had not escaped while he was tussling with the other wolf.

It must want to finish me off.

As he stood and prepared his dagger for an attack, Yori realized the wolf was sitting oddly, with its hips and back legs laying off to the side instead of supporting its body. It dawned on Yori where he had struck it first. In the spine. A few spinal injuries had occurred back in Oseford, usually to roofers who had fallen off, or farmers struck by livestock.

He recognized the panic in the wolf’s eyes. As Yori took a step forward the wolf whimpered and frantically began dragging its hind legs into the forest. Feeling bad that he had caused it so much pain, he did not want to prolong the inevitable. Yori launched forward to deal the final blow, putting the wolf out of its misery. The maw of his former prey was still stuck fast, but the extra weight did not allow its friend to flee.

With the wolves now dead, he was free to regain his composure. He would have to bring them back to his cave and prepare them - and his breakfast. The adrenaline had made him forget his hunger, but now that the excitement was over, he felt a rumble in his stomach. Throwing the one wolf over his right shoulder, Yori dragged the other alongside him, still latched to his arm all the way back to the cave.

Sitting down at his temporary home, the fire dying out in the late morning breeze, he investigated his bone arm guard. It had splintered in several places, many of the rib bones he had used were broken or cracked.

“Well, I guess this is a single use item.”

Yori laughed as he took off the arm guard. As the pressure from his arm was released, the wolf’s jaw was also released. His little shield had played an integral part in his victory, but now laid broken on the ground. It made him desire a real piece of armour, but another set of wolf ribs would have to do for now. Yori dismembered the wolves and put the meat next to the fire, as he did the previous day. When everything was prepared and cooked, he went out into the woods to find berries and grass while snacking on some of yesterday’s meat.

With nothing more to get ready, he went back to hunting wolves and managed to get two more before the day began to close. Before the sun fully went down Yori remembered to gather some more leaves to use for his bedding. While he was gathering, Yori spotted a white mushroom. It was larger than his head, and round. Cutting it at the based, he carried his find back to the cave and cut it in half to use as a pillow so it would not roll. This was still not ideal, but it was much better than the previous night.

I hope this thing isn’t poisonous… and if it is that I don’t accidentally eat it in my sleep.

As Yori drifted off to sleep he thought about his most recent accomplishments. He had defeated five wolves since he had last read his stats. From what he remembered, this meant that he was about twelve wolves away from leveling.

There is no way I can carry all of them at them same time back to Garl’s shop to sell. I should bring what I have now in the morning or afternoon to trade in materials. That takes away time from hunting, but there’s not really a better solution right now…

He figured if he left in the morning, he could most likely judge his timing better to get back to the cave before sunset. The downside is that it would be more suspicious to the guards, and he would have to bring all the meat cooked, not raw. If he went in the afternoon, it would be less suspicious, and he could bring the meat from that day raw. However, it was more likely he would not get back to the cave before night, leaving him in a very vulnerable position for his journey back.

There were pros and cons to consider for both options, but ultimately decided it would be best to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

I’ll go in the morning, early. Maybe the guards will be half asleep.

That morning, and every morning after, he went to Garl’s shop to trade his wolf components in for twenty copper pieces each. It felt incredible to make one silver in a day. Suddenly his dream was in clear view. If he could kill and sell five wolves each day, he would only need nine more days of hunting. Then he would be a full-fledged adventurer.

The goal of five wolves per day turned to be overly ambitious. In the next five days Yori was able to hunt another twelve wolves.

On the morning of the sixth day, Yori was awakened by the pitter-patter of raindrops hitting leaves, and the trickle of water flowing down the sides of the cliff face just outside of his cave. The rain was quite heavy and kept him from getting any hunting done. As the day drug on and the rain did not let up Yori pounded the ground occasionally, letting out his frustration. In reality, his body was grateful for the rest and his mind needed the lack of stimulation. His hunting resumed the next day, the air humid and fragrant from the previous day’s rain. In the end though, he managed to reach the first of his lofty goals. He had, by his calculations, accumulated enough experience to level up. He would have liked to get another wolf or two for good measure, but he could not bring himself to wait another day. The excitement and anticipation were almost too much.

Knowing that he would spend the day wracked with indecision and considering a thousand options, he took the day off of hunting to devote it to leveling up. Besides, the level could help him hunt more efficiently. Not wanting to waste money going from church to church looking through the skills offered, Yori decided to ask Elina for advice. That way he could more effectively pay the fee at whichever church he decided on and pick a skill from their list. By using his resources, it forced him to be decisive and not spend all his hard-earned savings.

Yori approached the large wooden doors of the Guild, the familiar sign hanging above. Without breaking stride, he opened the door and walked in. A large grin involuntarily stretched across his face as he headed straight to where Elina stood at the reception desk.

“Well, aren’t you just glowing today.”

“That I am, Miss Elina, and I’m hoping you can help me with something, actually.”

Ahh, I see. You’ve finally developed an appreciation for the fairer sex and are here to ask me out, is it?”

“What-No-Huh!?”

Flustered by the implication, Yori babbled in an attempt to regain his composure. His cheeks flushed as Elina winked and leaned forward on the counter, crossing her arms in front of herself.

“It’s ok, I get it all the time here.”

“I’m telling you that’s not it!”

“Huh?… Oh, it’s that priestess, Lady Kana, you’re interested in then? Need some help from your big sis to win over the damsel that healed your wounds and stole your heart?”

“Miss Elina, please stop teasing me. I could really use your help.”

The young woman stood up again and put her hands on her hips.

“Okay, okay. No need to pout. What is it you need help with?”

“I leveled up and I could use some guidance on deciding what skills to choose.”

Ohhh, advice on leveling. That is also something people come to me a lot for…. Wait, WHAT!?”

Elina was quite enjoying teasing the young boy when suddenly her jaw hit the floor. She was aware that Yori was trying to meet the requirements that the Guild Master had laid out but thought it would either take him years or be impossible. Unsure how it was conceivable that he, a Villager, had successfully reached level two in barely a week, Elina attempted to mask her surprise. She did not want to, or intend to, offend the boy by remaining shocked for long. The young girl congratulated him and offered her services, as her job as an advisor should be with any new aspiring Adventurers. Gesturing to a room behind her in the hallway that led to the Guild Master’s office, she asked Yori to follow her.

0