Chapter 2
113 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warning! While this demon can’t hurt you, you can hurt him! Injuring Au’rul will cause a deduction of points!

            I’m not going to hurt him if he doesn’t hurt me! This is for self defense!!!

Quietly, August walked around to the side of the bed closest to the lump. He adjusted his grip on the bat and reached out with it. One, two gentle taps.

“Mmnnn…”

Okay, maybe this guy was just really sleepy? Or stupid? He reached out once more and gave one, two, three taps, slightly harder this time.

Suddenly, the sheets flipped up, and the figure underneath was revealed.

            Courage points +25! Keep it up!

The man, who had gasped in surprise and was now propping himself up on his elbows looked around rather frantically.

Upon taking one look at this guy, August narrowed his eyes.

He knew that this infamous demon general was supposed to be handsome, but this was ridiculous! Aside from his noble facial features, a long mess of dark, curly hair fell down his shoulders and his back, for who knows how long! To make matters even worse, he was shirtless! And very buff!!!

Two glowing red eyes flitted around the room, trying to make sense of his surroundings. Then, those two red eyes landed on August, who was still holding the bat out in case of a sudden attack.

“Who are you?” the man asked evenly.

Oh god. Even his voice was sexy.

“M-my name is August.” Curse the flustered stutter.

The demon scowled as if this wasn’t an acceptable answer. “Why did you bring me here?”

At the very least, he didn’t seem to have any intention of attacking. He probably figured that August posed absolutely no threat to him, anyway. In an attempt to seem at least slightly more welcoming, he dropped the bat. “Believe me, I didn’t bring you here. I don’t know why you’re here. You just kind of, uh, appeared.”

The demon, Au’rul, seemed to realize something, and suddenly swung his legs over the side of the bed and was standing up. August instinctively backed up, and raised the bat between them once more. However, he was completely ignored. Au’rul appeared to be searching the room for something much more interesting than him. Afraid to stop him, August could only watch as Au’rul began to move and shove everything in his room around, open his drawers, and throw things onto the floor. He only felt like crying a little bit when he realized he would eventually have to put everything back, if he lived through this.

After several minutes, Au’rul turned to look at him and spoke again. “Human, what have you done with my sword?”

Right. His sword…

August himself glanced around stupidly for a second, as if the sword would suddenly appear in the same way Au’rul had. “Uhhm. Nothing. I don’t know where it is. I told you, I don’t know what’s going on.” Desperately hoping that this answer wouldn’t anger the demon even further, he slowly shuffled into a corner until his back hit the wall. Then, a system notification.

            First mission objective: Find Au’rul a new sword!

NEW sword? So, his own sword definitely isn’t somewhere in this world?

Definitely not!

With at least a little bit of information to go off of, August gained a drop of confidence once more and took a few steps closer to Au’rul, who was rifling through his backpack.

“This is my room, though, so… If your sword was here, I would definitely know.”

Au’rul heaved a deep sigh and practically threw the backpack down onto the floor. “Indeed, it’s not here. I can sense it.” He paused. “What did you say your name was again, human?”

After wincing at the mistreatment of his backpack, he replied. “August.”

“August… Like the month?”

For a moment, August was surprised that a demon would even bother knowing human months, let alone one as old as him. “Yes?”

Au’rul’s face was skeptic. “Why?”

…Why???

“What do you mean ‘why’? Cause that’s what my parents named me!”

Surprisingly, Au’rul looked away and scowled down at the floor. If August didn’t know better, he would think that he was embarrassed. “I am aware of human naming customs. I just find it strange.”

“Well… well!” August shouted, feeling a little ridiculous at the entire conversation. “That’s what you find strange?? Are you even going to ask me what year it is?”

Once again August began to feel the suspicion that this legendary demon warrior wasn’t too bright.

Au’rul scrunched up his face in an expression that August didn’t have time to consider cute, and took a deep breath. “Demons are not bound by your concept of time. It is clear that many of your human generations have passed since the time I remember, but it matters not to me.”

August stared at him incredulously and only now realized he was still wielding the bat. He moved it aside once more. “I don’t think you understand. Time isn’t the only thing that’s changed.”

Au’rul seemed to lose interest in the conversation and walked past August, through the doorway of his bedroom. “Certainly not. Now I have to find whoever pulled this trick on me and kill them before I can return to my family. In the meantime, what have you got to eat?”

August stalled for a second before running after him. “How are you going to do that?? You don’t even know where you are!”

Suddenly, Au’rul stopped walking and August slammed into his muscular back, briefly stunned. Then, the bat was taken from his hands.

“This will do for now.”

            Mission objective: Find Au’rul a new sword: Complete!

            What?? Okay????

 

 

Extra:

August flipped to the settings tab and examined the disappointingly few options that were set out before him. “Configure to your heart’s content” had apparently been sarcastic. However, one option caught his eye.

            Voice Configuration – American English

            Voice 1 – Default (female)

Voice 2 – Default (male)

Voice 3 – Default (androgynous)

Voice 4 – Southern (male)

Voice 5 – Jack Sparrow

Voice 6 – The Family Guy from Family Guy

Voice 7 – Joker (Joker)

Voice 8 – Conan O’Brien

The list continued to descend into a list of increasingly annoying character voices that August was in no way keen on willingly listening to. He decided to stick with the Default female voice.

End of chapter stats!

Intelligence: 55/100

Strength: 35/100

Courage: 45/100

3