Chapter 3: Freedom and Control
111 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vasillis exerted effort in remembering what he was doing it all for. Reminding himself of his reason was to keep himself awake, alive, and prevent himself from losing hope.

He sent all his men home so they could rest. They had been searching tirelessly from dawn to dusk, and he knew they had done all they could. But for Vasillis, it wasn't enough. It will never be enough, not until he has gotten down to the bottom of it all. He felt like he hadn't made any progress after all this time. It was like he was stuck in a never-ending maze in his search for the truth.

If only they could move freely, but no. There were too many eyes, and too many obstacles as if there is someone preventing them from finding the clues they needed to solve the mystery.

They need to move without the mastermind knowing.

There was a time when he recognized one of the people tailing them, it was one of the men of Marquess Midford.

Perhaps the Marquess was really one of the people behind it, but assumptions will not suffice.

"What I need is proof, and the freedom to move." Vasillis muttered to himself, frustration creeping into his voice. He turned off the lamp and left the room, determined to find a way to outsmart their elusive foe.


Before the chaos, 1888, Antares.


Griselda Quin was in a rush, scurrying down the hall toward her master's study. Alexandria and Bastien followed closely behind, curious as to what had the Head Maid so frazzled.

"Why is she in such a hurry?" Alexandria asked, maintaining a calm and graceful pace despite the obvious chaos around them and despite hearing how furious her father was. "What's going on?"

Bastien Cross, who was walking alongside her, couldn't help but chuckle under his breath. He slightly covered his mouth and leaned towards the lady, "Miss Quin is scared, of course. By now, Marquess Anthony must be flying into a rage, she cannot help but be nervous."

"And why would she be more nervous than, I, the cause of Father's anger?" Alexandria asked with a straight face.

"Your father's anger tends to involve everyone around him,"

"Yet I am still the one who takes most of the blows," Alexandria added.

Alexandria was all too familiar with her father's fits of rage, or rather, she was used to it. He would lash out whenever she made a mistake, and she would bear the brunt of his abusive father's anger. And whenever the Marquess has calmed down, he would send Alexandria to get treated because she cannot look ugly, otherwise, no one will accept her and he will not be able to marry her off.

After all, people base their love on looks...that was the case for most of them.

But Alexandria did not want to marry.

That was why in an instant, she had an idea of why her father was enraged again.

Alexandria glanced at the butler when she heard a laugh from him, she raised a brow asking what he found funny. "My Lady,  look at how panicky Miss Quin is, moving in a hurry so that you could follow her at a fast pace, and here you are so relaxed."

"Why must I hurry?"

"It would infuriate the Master if you keep delaying, My Lady."

"He is already furious anyways, let us infuriate him even more."

Bastien Cross laughed but Griselda Quin turned to him with a glare, making the butler stop. He turned to the lady with a grin, "You fear nothing."

Alexandria had already told Cross many times about her sickness but he still continues to mention emotions in such an insensitive way. Her hand made its way to the side of her head, she was having a migraine again.

"My Lady?"

"Fear nothing..." Alexandria whispered, repeating the butler's words. She put down her hand and continued walking, "I fear myself."

 

As they approached the study, Griselda stopped at the door, gesturing for Alexandria to tidy herself up before entering.

'Why bother coming in all neat if I will come out like a mess.' Alexandria thought.

"I wish you good luck, My Lady." Bastien Cross said and bowed while smiling.

But Alexandria does not believe in luck.

She looked over at the lady who was still standing in front of the door. The Head Maid must have noticed Alexandria looking at her and she gestured to the door, "You can go first, Lady Midford."

Just because Alexandria could not tell the expression on her face, does not mean that she could not guess the reason why Griselda wants her to come inside first. It did not bother her at all, so she proceeded to enter her father's study.

Alexandria pushed open the door and stepped inside, only to be welcomed by a vase hurtling towards her face, she moved her head to the side just in time, watching as it shattered against the wall.

Alexandria bent down and picked up a shard of the broken vase and examined it, her face unreadable. "What a shame," she said quietly, wearing a blank face. "I rather liked that vase."

The Marquess slammed his hand on the table, furious, but Alexandria still has her eyes on the shard.

"How long are you going to disappoint me, Alexandria?!" her father bellowed, his voice echoing through the room. Loud enough for even the servants who passed by could hear his enraged voice. The servants gave each other glances, knowing what would happen again.

"Disappoint, you say. What an interesting word." Alexandria muttered, studying the shard in her hand. "You say that to me all the time but it still seems refreshing."

The Marquess marched towards her and grabbed her hair, pulling her up from her bent position. He pulled it, even more, to make her face and look at him clearly. "You useless woman! All the years I raised you, you cannot even listen to one damn order?!"

Alexandria gently put the shard onto the table and stared back straight into his eyes, "I am unsure of what you meant. It was I who raised myself."

Her father let out a scoff, "You dare talk back to me? You would not be able to live without my money!" he exclaimed and pushed her roughly onto the table, making Alexandria slam her body down on it.

"How many men do I have to give so you could obey me?!" he yelled, "Did I tell you to turn down Rowan? You never listen to any of my orders these days!"

"David Rowan is a snake, only a stupid person would not notice it," Alexandria responded, Marquess Midford cupped her face from behind, gripping it tightly. "You should always listen to me, Alexandria. You are my daughter."

Indeed she was his daughter, yet was never properly treated as one.

Alexandria stared at the shard she put on the table, marveling at how sharp it was. She wondered how it would look if it was stuck in the neck of the old man behind him. Imagine. Yes, only imagine. That was how far she could go.

Marquess Midford slid his hand on her thigh, "You should listen well, I will make sure the man you wed into would be worthy enough to have your body."

"You did not seem to be worthy enough, yet you still-"

"Alexandria." Marquess Midford's voice changed into a serious one, his firm tone was warning his daughter.

"Are you going to do it again?" Alexandria asked, directly looking at her own father. The Marquess clenched his fist and his mood seemed to worsen upon seeing his daughter's face with no emotions.

There was a faint whispering around them and the Marquess clicked his tongue. He let go of Alexandria and she fell to the ground.

There was a short silence before the Marquess spoke again, "I arranged a meeting with you and Alistair Lockhart. I have informed the coachman of the meeting place, get ready." he said, trying to calm himself down.

"Alistair Lockhart is one of the Duke's sons. Do not disobey me once again, Alexandria." He warned, putting emphasis on his every word. He looked down at Alexandria on the floor and glared at her, "If you do, I cannot guarantee what I might do."

The door swung open and Bastien Cross appeared, together with the future lord of the Midford House.

"Father." Alexander Midford greeted and bowed to show respect, Anthony Midford smiled when he saw his perfect son had appeared, it was as if his anger diminished in an instant.

"Son!" Marquess Anthony greeted and put his hands on his shoulder with a smile.

Alexander ignored his father's greeting and had his eyes fixated on his twin that was on the ground. "What happened?"

Alexander approached his sister with a worried face. He caressed her cheeks and cupped them to take a better look at her. "Alexandria," he called.

He extended his hand and helped her get up, "What on earth happened? Father, what have you done to her?"

Marquess Midford's foul mood deepened into a scowl as he glared at Alexandria. With a sharp gesture towards the door, he barked, "Get out, the coachman is waiting!"

Brows furrowed, Alexander turned to his father. "Is this about Alistair Lockhart again?" he asked, his voice laced with frustration. "Father, I already told you not to--

"I will go." Alexandria cut her twin off firmly, her eyes locking with the Marquess.

Alexander shot her a worried glance, but Alexandria didn't need his protection. She knew all too well that such efforts were futile.

"After all, I do not have the freedom to choose whether I want to go or not."

She glanced at Bastien Cross, who had been standing silently in the corner. With a nod from the butler to guide her to where the coachman was waiting, Alexandria strode out of the room with her head held high.

Marriage, family, control. It was not what she liked or wanted. She sees them as chains that bound her, something they chafed against her like an ill-fitting garment.

Freedom was all she yearned for, but the prospect of it remained a distant dream, one that she could never hope to achieve as long as her father was breathing the air of life.

 

Liking the story so far? Add it to your list and stay tuned for updates. Thank you for reading!

7