Chapter 2: Shards From The Past
68 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eyes twisted. Lungs crushed. Heart almost stopped. That’s how Joel found himself when his eyes laid on a world he didn't understand, Something that shook his sense of reality.

‘Wh… uh… I…’. Not even words are able to describe the fear. Joel slammed the door so hard it broke part of the lock. Then he barricaded the door with everything he could. After a while he tried desperately to explain this to himself.

‘This makes no sense. Years of scientific research and intense experimentation only to prove that we exist in one world. Yet, outside of my door exists another world made out of glass. GLASS! Even when I prayed that someone was doing an extravagant prank on me, my apartment door leads to a small iron staircase not an entire room!’

Joel didn’t have the spirit to risk his life on unknowns. He might as well waste time while he still can, though the JP TV Crap™ was playing in reverse, he found it extremely fun to try and understand the plot. Food, water, they were no issue since the fridge provided them, but soon enough they would run out, and that was something he knew.

After turning off the TV. He got enough courage to , at the least, try and see more of what the other world looks like, maybe this time he’ll understand.

‘Alright. What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger right? If I don’t die, that is…’

He opened the door sluggishly, expecting something to attack, yet, it was quiet. Now that he sees the room without fearing it. He appreciates the beauty of such a creation, a room made out of all kinds of glass, some heat treated, others toughened. And Mirrors are scattered everywhere. Its size is large, keen to resemble a warehouse, but the structure of the mirrors makes it more like a maze.

‘Huh. This wasn’t what I expected, but now I know what I’ll have to do. I’ll step in!’.

Knowing nothing’s going to change if he stays in his room, either way he’ll die. So he steps into the room seeing his reflections everywhere.

'This could be dangerous… If my reflection makes it to someone else, the situation could get worse.’

He thought about making his next move.

Suddenly, a laser gets launched from far away in the room. It makes its way quickly dashing until it reaches inches before hitting Joel, at that moment time slows down, and he notices the laser reaching for him. Though time is slow, his body is unable to move with the same velocity. So the laser hits Joel in the shoulder, piercing it and making a small hole. His body gets launched back through the door. Rolling on his back, Joel coughed up blood, and the hole, not critical enough to kill him, but precise enough to knock him out.

Hours later, he wakes up with a daze, his shoulder numb from the hit. Before he does anything, he needs to quickly patch himself. His arms reached for a medicine cabinet and got all the necessary supplies. The last time he needed to do this was not pleasant, his knowledge of all the possible wounds a man can sustain was too great.

‘This… This reminds me of a time I never wanted to remember… I didn’t want to think about it, but the memories of my time in the army, serving all the decrepit power-hungry greedy bastards who controlled my life! Fuck…’ a man who has already lost everything, has nothing to lose.

While sewing the wound, he observes and reflects on the moments before he got knocked out.

‘My reflections appeared in the glass room when I opened the door, yet it wasn’t until I reached and made a step that the laser got launched. Does that mean it’s sound activated?’.

After he mended the wound, he got up and cleaned the blood spelt on the ground with a towel. He had to know. He wanted to understand the room.

A short while later, Joel stood behind the wall and opened the door. ‘In theory if the room is sound activated, then throwing something will get the attention of the laser.’. He throws a pan to make as much sound as possible. It ended up breaking a lot of the mirrors and melted by the laser. Joel’s theory was right.

‘This complicates things, making no sound is almost impossible and the slightest noise could mean my demise if I step inside again. What if I threw multiple objects?’.

Throwing different objects at different parts of the room yielded no result, the laser got launched and hit a prism shaped mirror that destroyed both objects.

Then he throws another 3 pans to test out it’s accuracy, it broke more mirrors yet yielded absolutely no results, but at that moment, he realizes something. The same mirrors he broke minutes ago, reformed.

‘Another impedance! The room fixes itself? Yet, a lingering thought still puzzles me; How could a room have so many supernatural occurrences? Damn! This is no time to use such big words! I need to think quickly before I run out of food’. He searches his mind, but only comes with the conclusion that he must step inside once again, this time more quietly.

‘This has to wait. I need some sleep’. The headache he sustained remained, So he reached for some painkillers. Then filled a glass of water, yet made the mistake of holding it with his hand on the side of the wound, the pain got him to drop the glass. The glass started reversing as soon as it became motionless, when all the forces acting on it became gravity. It reversed in time and fixed itself. Soon, a theory was formed in Joel's mind.

'Is the reversal of objects a manifestation of the room's power or could there be another aspect that affects the objects to reverse?...'

3