Stay Within My Sight
367 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He Juan learned how precious memory could be when he woke up one day five years ago and forgot that Jia Molei was severely allergic to peanuts. 

In the end, he still added peanut jam to Jia Molei's healthy drink potion and almost caused the man to be sent into the emergency room overnight. When Jia Molei regained consciousness after eight hours, the first thing he had said to He Juan was, "Not your fault. Everyone who survives such an incident will find it hard to adjust themselves back to normal. Don't beat yourself up over this again."

It was not okay. How could it be okay? That time, he had almost caused Jia Molei's death. It was a close call. What if he messed up even more in the future? What if next time… his thoughtless act really led to someone's death? 

Since then, He Juan secretly kept a notebook. It was not quite a diary but if someone found it, then they would be able to know every important information about He Juan, including but not limited to his birthday and the people around him, foods to avoid and the ones he disliked, favorite colors, his credit card number, the password to his email… Well, that was almost everything. He Juan could not remember if he had written something about his car there but knowing himself, he probably did. 

He'd rather be excessive than to forget something again. 

But it led to the most important problem, he did not carry the notebook with him today due to the haste. He Juan held his forehead and screwed his eyes shut. Why are you such a mess today, He Juan?!

"Mr. He?" Mu Yuze looked slightly alarmed, his hand was halfway to his earpiece. "Are you unwell again?"

"Oh no, it's not that…" He Juan let out a wry laugh. For some reason, he did not want Mu Yuze to know how messed up he was. It was already enough to be treated as a murder suspect. He did not want to be seen as a disabled too. "Can I come with you?"

Mu Yuze frowned. "Come with me…?"

"Yes, I swear I will not stay within your sight." He Juan lifted three fingers to the sky to emphasize his point. "There is something really, really important that I can't let anyone see. Please don't be offended, Officer Mu. It's an Alpha thing, you know…" He let out another unconvincing chuckle. 

Please, please… if Mu Yuze was also an Alpha like him, then he would definitely buy He Juan's answer. Alpha was born territorial and they could not bear it if someone touched their belongings, especially when He Juan had asserted its importance. He put on his most somber look, one that Jia Molei had said would make crying children shut up in an instant — He Juan swore he was not that scary! — all the while trying to calm his furiously beating heart.

He must have looked quite pitiful because Mu Yuze immediately averted his gaze away as though he couldn't bear to look at He Juan's act any longer. He Juan tried not to relax visibly.

"Fine," he spat out the word like it pained him to do so. "Stay within my sight at all times. And if you try to run away…" His eyes narrowed sharply, threatening. "...know that it won't end well for both of us, Mr. He." Without waiting for any answer, Mu Yuze stood up and turned away. 

And hence, he failed to notice how He Juan had frozen in his seat still with a tight-lipped smile on his face. Yes he might look normal at one glance but underneath the table, he was clenching his fists so tight that his nails had surely sunk into the flesh. Goosebumps flared all over his body and his head was filled with nothing but ringing noises. He Juan knew that Mu Yuze's words meant nothing, but oh God… the way he said it whilst pinning He Juan down with his razor sharp gaze, the soft rumble from his throat, it gave him… ideas. He was almost tempted to retort back, to tease, to see what kind of reaction he could pull from the other…

He Juan screwed his eyes shut and covered his eyes with a palm. What are you thinking, He Juan? How could you…! This… This was utterly inappropriate! He did not know that he was such a debauched man. Mu Yuze was an officer who was supposed to keep an eye on a murder suspect, for God's sake! Someone's life was on the line and here he was, thinking about such a thing inside the dready interrogation room. 

It couldn't be… the reason why nobody had ever drawn his eyes before was because his taste was a fellow Alpha?!

He Juan's expression sank and he couldn't stop thinking about it even as he caught up to Mu Yuze, got into the car and clicked the seatbelt. In a way, this sexuality crisis had managed to distract He Juan from getting his mind down the gutter again. 

"Excuse me." 

He Juan's soul almost jumped out of his body when he heard Mu Yuze's voice so close beside his ear. His eyes flew open, flabbergasted, at how close their faces were. From such a distance, he could clearly see the speck of blue within the man's dark eyes, so fascinating as if he was staring at the depth of the ocean where the light barely reached… 

Then Mu Yuze turned his head to the back and He Juan startled in realization that he was just trying to drive the car out of the parking lot! 

Goodness! He Juan's cheeks burned hot as embarrassment washed over him like a pan of overheated oil, almost making him light-headed. How… How did he always forget himself whenever he was with Mu Yuze?! Even now, He Juan could do nothing but stare at the man's side profile that was draped by the amber glow of sunset.

He had one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the seat behind He Juan's head. The elegant line of his jaw was right there in front of He Juan's eyes, so was the little adorable mole right on his earlobe and his fluttering hair that He Juan very much wanted to touch. The end of his hair had almost reached his neck, just shy away from covering the gland patch on the back—

He Juan sucked in a sharp breath as his mindless babble about Mu Yuze's beauty and his common sense crashed against each other with the force of a train wreck. As though the universe wanted to play a joke on him further, the wind picked up and blew Mu Yuze's scent to him. Cool and sweet; peppermint. It left an everlasting taste down He Juan's throat and he almost parted his lips so he could savor it better, strangely ravenous.

Oh no… He Juan was really doomed this time.

Mu Yuze had never been an Alpha. 

He was an Omega.

2