Prologue: A Golden World
3k 2 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a difficult fight. I'm tired of this war.

I staggered onto the battlefield, leaving behind the frozen corpse of a member of my same race, a Devil.

But this devil was different from me; he was from the old satan faction. The war between Angels, Fallen Angels and Devils finished long ago, but now that the satans perished, it is time for a new ruling to take place, one that will place us -devils- in a more peaceful environment far from skirmish and destruction.

'Why can't we all just live peacefully in the underworld, are we to continue thriving in famine and hunger just like the one that created us decreed it?'

That is why I, Grayfia Lucifuge -belonging to one of the most loyal families to the Lucifer- decided to follow Sirzech Gremory's cause and fight for a prosperous future. Sadly, there are those devils that counter our ideas; those that believe we should still fight angels and fallen angels even after our race has already suffered enough: the old satan faction.

We fight, we kill and we destroy... but in the end, it is Devil's blood being shed on the foil.

'When is this conflict going to end? it has been hundreds of years... when is this civil war going to cease? how many devils will have to perish in blood and mud before there is peace? if that is the case, is our movement even worth it?' I held my bleeding wound, thinking profusely.

[Do you desire to save your devil race from extinction? if so, accomplish a mission in my stead and I will make sure that your devil race survives the war and becomes prosperous]

I thought I was seeing hallucinations due to my wounds, after facing three generals on my own; a spear had gone through my gut and it would take a while before my body regenerated. It was time for me to return to the HQ when this... screen, popped in front of me.

'What is this thing?' my eyes were unable to see clearly what was in front due to it.

There were also 'Yes' and 'No' options at the bottom.

[I shall repeat myself only once, Grayfia Lucifuge. Do you desire to save your devil race from extinction? if so, accomplish a mission in my stead and I shall make sure that your devil race survives the war and becomes prosperous]

'Save my devil race from the war? of course, I want, but what is this... light? could be a trap from those generals?' She scrutinized it, it should be simple magic to recreate something like this, luring her into a trap.

By now most devils knew that I was one of the new faction's main aces; an ultimate class devil together with Sirzechs, Falbium, Ajuka and Serafall. I was one of their primary objectives, however, as our house -the Lucifuge- was the most despicable traitors in the eyes of the devils.

'Maybe there is a quicker path... one with less bloodshed, who are you exactly? if you can so confidently end the war and help my race... then... what do you need my help for? you should be more capable than me' I doubted and scrutinized whatever this was to the bottom, only the fact that I couldn't sense any demonic power from it delivered a bit of credibility to the whole situation.

[That is a complicated answer; your doubts are comprehensible, Grayfia Lucifuge. I don't belong to your inferior world. I'm currently but an avatar of my godly self and my existence is more than capable of ending your predicament with a snap of my fingers, however... the task that I shall send you is one I can't personally undertake for many reasons. I'm afraid that doesn't make you any essential... there are more than a million ladies in the multiverse that could have this chance... you were merely one of the lucky lots].

I felt heavily insulted and underestimated, this 'person'... is saying that I'm not anything special. He or she speaks as if I -an ultimate class devil- am but an ant lucky enough to have been 'chosen' for whatever his or her ploy is.

[What I mean is that you're free to reject if you don't believe me. I will just head to the next one in the queue. The task that you're going to be assigned is not an easy one, but if you accomplish it... it will be a lucky encounter beyond your wildest imaginations].

'... can I think about this?' I wanted to at least discuss it with my father, this could still be a trap of some sort.

[No, as I said... you're not essential. If you reject, there won't be a second chance, make your decision now].

Twitching my lips I allowed my body to fall, holding my wound and panting heavily, not in the position to give long consideration to anything, I wanted nothing more than to rest and await the next skirmish, but... the more I looked at this screen, the more my senses screamed at me that this is real.

The only logical reason for my belief was that I couldn't sense any demonic magic nearby, the barren land of this underworld region is devoided of life and only corpses remain, 'Who can it be that's setting me up?'

I bit my lips falling on a pit of mud that had a mixture of dirt and blood, contemplating that screen in front of my face that overshadowed the underworld's sky.

To me, that 'YES' looked brighter than the 'NO'.

'Promises are a liability, a commodity of comfort with no value for us devils, but... will you promise me, to uphold your words if I manage to accomplish this task?' If I could stop the bloodshed... If I could stop my family from being in danger, I would do it.

[As a dragon; my words are more valuable than the very existence that I precede and the laws under my authority. The moment you press the button 'YES' I will send you to the place where you are to undertake your task, away from home].

'...' My eyebrows quivered, 'So I'm going to be taken away from the underworld?'

[But at the same time, I will the continuity of time in this lowly realm until your return. if you fail but survive... I shall bring you to this same spot.]

I couldn't help but pay extra attention to her word 'survive'.

[If you die... then I shall just resume time and your absence will be the only change in this timeline].

As expected.

[If you succeed... then I shall bring you to this realm once again to the future that upholds my promise; to a future where your devil race is in peace and prosperous according to our accord].

Reading the text, I sighed in relief, 'At the very least, it won't happen that by taking too long in completing this task, things will go awry'

I was afraid that my absence would bring a disadvantage to the new faction, but the entity's words assured me.

My soul was overflowing with curiosity over this entity; how can it stop time to its will? and what is this task that I can accomplish but they can't? he or she said that they're a dragon... it gives me ideas about their power.

As only two such existences popped up in my mind, their myths were as clear as my bleeding flesh.

The Ouroboros -Infinity Dragon God.

The True Dragon God of Dreams.

If this entity is like them; then it would make sense.

I made my decision and pressed the button 'YES'; bracing for anything at any moment, bracing for the worst of tortures that I would have to go through.

[A great answer indeed, Grayfia Lucifuge. You can address me as the 'system', your temporary assistant in this quest. As for who I am... I'm someone powerful enough to achieve your dream... I bid you the greatest of successes because in this task it is not luck that shall bring you glory, but your own determination]

I felt the world around me begin to shake as if an illusion was crumbling. The underworld around me broke like glass, piece by piece until everything was white. I never felt like I moved even a millimetre from the puddle of mud and blood I had fallen into; like the world where I lived never stopped being the same underworld.

[Loading].

[Assimilation with system complete].

[Welcome to the 'system' Lady Lucifuge].

The world was still white as the screen kept updating itself, I was confused, 'What is going on?'

[Transportation to Helius Multiverse, completed].

[Transportation to the Primal Universe, completed].

[Transportation to Treasury Realm: Goldstein Cursed Planet, completed].

[Detecting Race... (Pure Devil) confirmed].

[Requirements for sustainable life in arrival location not met].

[Loading racial specifications].

[Configurating racial traits for survival in the foreign atmosphere and outerspace].

[Configurating racial traits for survival against gold corrosion].

[Race evolution, completed].

[Pure Devil (Ultimate Class)-> Higher Devil (Ultimate Class)]

The more the screen updated itself, the more my confusion increased.

'Just who is this existence, a God? a Dragon God?' I felt like a cold breeze went through my whole body, something changed and I didn't know what it is.

'So you're not the person from before?' I thought inwardly, hoping that this system would answer.

[I am the system, your direct connection with the fate interface, as for who the previous individual was, I am afraid ($^&SAF2G's) shall remain secret]

I rubbed my head several times and just reading the bunch of weird symbols produced an immense headache like they were infinite meanings in those symbols that I couldn't comprehend.

When I opened my eyes again, exactly in the same position that I left. My eyes marvelled because I was in a completely different place.

Gold.

All I could see... as far as my eyes could reach, was gold. The sky was hazy golden with white clouds... there were several stellar bodies in the distance; some larger than the others and all of them marvelled me to no end. Just like the moon hanging in the sky on the Earth and the underworld; there were at least a dozen orbs that I saw floating in the sky of this world with different colours and surreal appearances. There was also a sun, but it was way farther and smaller than the earth's sun.

Looking around I noticed a lot more orbs floating around and many other suns.

"W-Where am I?" I said out loud, my awe leaving unwarranted; feeling like I arrived in a fantasy world. It was a plain land resembling a desert, only... everything here was golden.

[Rejecting corrosion...]

[Rejecting corrosion...]

[Rejecting corrosion...]

'What is this?' I heard a noise similar to a bell on my head over and over again.

[Rejecting corrosion...]

[Rejecting corrosion...]

[Rejecting corrosion...]

'What is this? please stop that!' I held my head in headache, not used to those popping notifications, they were annoying.

...

[Disabling recurrent notifications].

[Loading Stats].

[Name: Grayfia Lucifuge]

[Gender: Female]

[Titles: Frozen Queen, Traitorous Devil]

[Age: 122 y/o]

[Race: Pure Devil -> Higher Devil]

[Evolution: Ultimate Class Devil - (2nd Tier)]

[Strength: C+]

[Magic Power: C+]

[Dragon God's Affection: 0%]

...

'Ah?' There was a single stat that could have produced a thought of awe in me aside from the obvious feeling of irritation that produced me to have my strength categorized as a 'C+'.

'What does Dragon God's Affection mean?'

[Welcome to the cursed planet of Goldstein in the Primal Universe or as it is commonly called: The Treasury Realm. The place where your target is located, missions shall be delivered].

'Wait, system. what does that Dragon God's affection mean?!' I waited expectantly, standing up and dusting off my clothes, a maid's attire. The faster I knew what I had to do, the faster I could save my race.

[Task: Conquer the Golden Dragon God's Heart and Strike his Endless Greed (Progress - 0%)]

[Sub-task: Find the Primordial Golden Dragon God- Richter Magnanimous Golden-Haze, in the Treasury Realm and Introduce yourself]

"Richter? Dragon God? Conquer his heart?!" The more I read the more ridiculous everything was, it turns out the 'mission' wasn't to kill someone, or exterminate a town, or assassinate a target.

It was to be romantically involved with someone!

'Hey! you set me up, what is this?!' I screamed in outrage, hoping for that entity to answer me, no matter how I looked at this, I was set up, in fact... I believed this was all an illusion cast by some dastardly perverted devil general.

[That's correct, the Golden Dragon God is a threat to the universe but a needed evil. While the weakest of the five Primordial Dragon Gods, he is also a key piece in maintaining the balance of this Helius Multiverse. His endless greed had become a threat that you must dissolve without killing him, hence... conquer his heart!]

"There must be a better way to solve this issue than... conquering him... and how exactly am I supposed to find him?" I was no expert in romance, aside from some... moments... that I shared with Sirzechs Gremory, I was completely clueless... how am I supposed to conquer a Dragon God?!

If I was back home and tasked to conquer the Mythical Great Red, I would be just as clueless.

[There is no other way, one of the Dragon God's weaknesses is Loneliness. As for finding him, that is the first advantage I have given you. Not only you're able to step into this realm without immediately dying unlike the rest, but he is somewhere in this world, this is his home. The Treasury Realm. Find him, that is your first task]

The system spoke no more, my knees gave away and I fell harshly on the golden soil, producing golden dust.

'G-Grayfia, what did you get yourself into... papa... what can I do?' The destiny of the devil race depends... on whether I can conquer this dragon or not?

Be it as it may, I could no longer take this as a joke.

Standing up, I felt as if something in me was heavier than usual, before concluding it was the world, I caught sight of my haggard clothes and gasped.

A part of them... had begun turning into gold.

'W-What is this place?'

When I tried to walk, I found myself stuck on the ground, once again my gaze regarded what was stopping my steps and my eyes shivered in realisation... like moody goo, the Gold on the ground had begun covering my feet, sinking me in the ground!

My four pairs of wings popped out, flying me into the air as I broke free from the gold in realisation.

[Be careful, your body has a blessing that protects you against the Gold Corrosion, but that doesn't stop the cursed planet from trying to claim you someway else]

'This planet... it is an immense trap' I thought, bracing for what I believed would be a difficult task.

With my charm as a devil, I had to conquer the Dragon God.

53