Episode 18 – Why did you call me a puppet?
35 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A road filled with pedestrians, various vendors selling alluring and exclusive goods calling out for customers, and the roadside stalls selling mouth-watering local delicacies surrounded by hungry crowds, it was evident why the market in the capital was called a tourist attraction. A beautiful yet modest carriage passed through the crowd amid the hustle and bustle of the market. The carriage had Evermount's crest on it, a wild winter wolf. The carriage stopped in front of a two-storied building. The exterior of the store was unique and stylish. Regina stepped out of the carriage wearing a cloche matching her outfit. She spread her fan when she saw the large banner with Lombardi's Boutique written on it.

Regina entered the store. Storekeeper rushed to her. She recognized Regina. The Duchess is an exclusive customer of the boutique.

"Please come this way."

The shopkeeper escorted Regina to a private waiting room. The comfortable couch was cozy. It was a personal space meant for Regina to rest.

Regina visited the store without notice. It was not a surprise that Madam Lombardi was busy. 

"Madam Lombardi is currently attending Viscountess Freya. I will bring you refreshments while you wait." The shopkeeper said and left the room.

The room was empty. Regina felt at ease. The long-distance travel for two hours without a break was tiring for her. She spread her legs comfortably. She stretched her arms and stifled a yawn. She was tired. Fatigue from the day before caught up to her body, making her sleepy. She needed a distraction to avoid dozing off. She saw a few magazines and store leaflets lying on the table. She was shuffling among the fashion magazines to choose from, and then a familiar man's portrait in the newspaper caught her attention.

A large portrait of the Crown Prince of Midford was on the front page. Regina took the newspaper to read the heading - "Bright future of Midford." The article listed down the achievements of the Crown Prince and the bright future of Midford. It was evident the article intended to glorify the reputation of the future King. 

"What has he been up to? We haven't met for years. The last time we met was on the auction day. The day father fell into a coma." Regina thought.

Just then, two maids entered one after the other, carrying tea and refreshments for the Duchess. In a moment, the flower petal-printed tea set and plates filled up the space on the center table. The spread of snacks was splendid, and serving the rose tea, Regina's favorite, she was delighted.

Regina lounged on the sofa, holding the teacup, and released a deep sigh. She lifted the newspaper to her eye level to read the article. The article was about Crown Prince's achievements in the past five years. 

He has been busy since he annulled his engagement with Regina. He refused a lot of marriage proposals in the past five years. Why? Does he find marriage bothersome? Or he couldn't find any maiden from solid background befitting that of the Crown Prince of Midford? He was actively involved in politics. He created new policies for the benefit of the Kingdom. New and improved policies benefiting the Nobles and the commoners of Midford helped him gain support from the Nobles and likability from commoners. Currently, he has been trying to eliminate human trafficking. The gang seems to target young and teenage girls. A lot of reports of kidnapping of young girls, especially from slums areas, were a big concern for the King. He entrusted this task to eliminate the gang to the Crown Prince.

"There used to be a time when we were close, and you would talk endlessly about how you wanted to be a better King than your father. There were no secrets between us. Now, I have to read about you in the newspaper to know about you." Regina thought.

She continued reading the article and scoffed in condemnation when she finished reading.

How meticulous! The article missed out on the dark side of the Imperial Jury. It didn't shed light on the growing death rates and the increased poverty. Over the five years, the encroachment of the land outside of the capital city increased by the banished family members of the martyrs. The crime rate increased in the capital city because of the increased poverty in those slum areas.

Regina has been funding non-profitable organizations to help people in need. She runs one such organization. There is a limit to her reach. She is a loyal subject of the Ruler, The King of Midford. She couldn't dare to go against his will. The authority of a Duchess of Evermount, Princess of Northern Lands, cannot overshadow the ruling of the King. If the King wants war, then the soldiers must go to war.

Regina flinched. She sighed again. 

"Why did you put your trust in the King, Father? He didn't help us when we needed it the most. What's the point of being loyal to your old friend?" Regina thought.

Regina looked at Fredrick Magnus, the man in the portrait, the Crown Prince, and her childhood friend.

"Freddy, I wish I could blame you for what you did," Regina whispered.

Her feelings towards Fredrick were never of resentment as it was that of skepticism.

Regina still remembers the words he said to her on the day her father fell to the ground. "You are just a pitiful puppet!" [Refer to Chapter 3]

Regina frowned with her eyes shut.

"Why did you call me a puppet? My situation was sure pitiful, but to call me a puppet. There must be a reason behind it, and I won't stop until I find it!" Regina thought.

Just then, the door to the waiting room opened, and Madam Lombardi entered with a large file holder.

2