Episode 20 – Rich Lady, please save my sister.
39 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'knock-knock'

The store's manager walked into the room. 

Regina got interrupted.

"What is it, Megan?" Lily said. She already knew the answer to the question she just asked. Lily had been talking with Regina for too long. Lily had a busy schedule. Megan must have come to take Lily away to attend to the customers waiting for her.

"Baron Courteney is waiting for you," Megan said.

Lily, a diligent person towards work, got up from the sofa and walked towards the door. 

"I'll be right there. You show Lady Courteney these designs in the meantime." Lily said.

Lily handed over the large folder to Megan. 

Megan left the room. 

Lily pressed the handle to the door and turned to face Regina.

"You don't need to overthink this. Mr. August is a brave warrior who fought wars. He can take care of himself. Chances are he must have gone to meet his daughter. She lives in the neighboring village. He must be longing to meet his family. It's been years since he came to North." Lily said.

Lily left the room.

Lily wasn't aware of the whereabouts of Mr. August. She could never think of anyone overpowering his combat skills. Everyone feared him on the battlefield. He was an unbreakable warrior, but a human is bound to his destiny. Even the most gallant warrior could be brought to his knees, begging in desperation for the sake of saving the life of his loved ones.

Regina remained seated for a few minutes. 

Lily's words kept resonating in her ears. She was optimistic and comforting, but Regina's mind wasn't at peace. 

"Mariana stopped contacting me for months, and Mr. August escaped from Lily's radar. Something is wrong. I am sure of it! I must confirm it on my own! I must send someone to the village where his daughter lives." Regina thought.

Her chain of thoughts kept her busy. She picked one candy from the counter unconsciously and left the store. 

Sir Mathews followed Regina. His steps stopped since his master stopped moving.

"Sir Mathews. Could you do me a favor?"

Sir Mathews stood fore of Regina and bowed to listen carefully to what his master had to say.

"I want you to find someone for me."

Regina told him about the village in which Mr. August's family resides. 

She decided not to wait for Mr. August and find him first. If Lily's words hold, he should be with his daughter in that village.

Sir Mathews didn't waste a second leaving for the neighboring village. He leaped on his shining black horse and strode towards the east. He rode fast on the open roads.

Regina watched him riding away until his image vanished at the horizon.

Just then, a boy approached Regina.

He ran straight towards Regina.

Shouting his guts out, he called Regina.

"Rich Lady!"

With raised eyebrows, Regina glanced at the boy. The boy was sweating and panting. The small face covered in dust and the thin body covered with a dirty piece of tunic falling to his knees told the story of his pitiful life.

"Rich Lady! Aaa!"

The boy fell while running. Regina moved towards him, but Sir Philip prevented them from getting closer.

Sir Philip helped the boy get up on his feet. With teary eyes and bleeding knees, the boy stood, crushing his clothes in his fists and crying in pain.

*sob *sob

Regina couldn't see the boy cry.

"Sir Philip, please step aside."

Regina came close to the boy and kneeled. She wiped the boy's tears with her handkerchief and asked him his name.

"Tom."

The boy spoke one word in a feeble voice.

Regina wiped the dust on his cheeks and said.

"Good job, Tom. Do you have anything to say to me?"

His tears came rushing back. He spoke while sobbing.

"My sister is in danger! They took my sister!"

*sob *sob

"Rich Lady, please save my sister."

"My Lady, please be careful. This area is crime-prone. The lowlifes dupe the Noble ladies and commit theft." Sir Philip said.

"Please be mindful of what you say in front of a child, Sir Philip. Children are the most innocent creations of God."

Regina runs a non-profit organization that helps poor and orphan children. Sir Philip's harsh words weren't something she could hear silently.

She turned to the boy.

"Don't cry, Tom."

Regina took candy from her pouch that she picked from the Boutique's counter and gave it to the boy. 

"Here, take this and stop crying."

The boy took the candy and glanced at Regina. He was comforted. His tears stopped.

"Now, tell me about your sister."

Regina tried to talk to the boy.

"What is your sister's name? She must have a beautiful name, just like you, Tom. Why don't you tell me."

The silent boy spoke.

"Pem."

That must be his sister's name. 

"Good boy. How old is your sister?"

"Fifteen."

Regina didn't have to investigate him further. The boy continued talking.

"We were eating bread 

*sob *sob

when we heard a knock on the door. My sister went to check. She opened the door. There were two men. 

*sob *sob

They beat my sister and took my sister away."

Regina got a hint of the culprits. She needed to confirm two things before confirming her theory.

The boy grabbed Regina's skirt. 

"Those men were scary. I am scared. My sister must be scared. Take me to my sister."

Holding Tom's shivering hands, Regina smiled.

"I will save your sister."

Tom's teary eyes filled with hope.

Regina continued.

"To help your sister, I need your help. Will you help me?

Tom nodded.

To confirm her theory, the first thing she had to know.

"Can you tell me where you live?"

Tom said while nodding. "Vailem Street."

Regina flinched. Her suspicion was halfway correct. She had to confirm one final thing.

"Listen, Tom. You have to think carefully and answer what I will ask you. Can you do that for me?"

It alerted Tom. He straightened his back and nodded in zest. Focused on what Regina was about to say.

"The men who took your sister, did you see some markings on their body? Think carefully."

Tom kept silent. He seemed to be thinking profoundly, and he closed his eyes. With his furrowed eyebrows, he looked tense. 

Regina was uneasy. She knew she could help if she could be sure of her theory. The first thing she needed to confirm was the location of where the kidnapping happened. Tom's answer helped her. The abduction took place in the slums. A young girl got kidnapped in broad daylight from slums. It's a crime not unknown to the Capital. 

"Yes. I remember." Tom broke his silence.

Regina didn't blink. Tom continued.

"It was a scorpion. One man had the marking on his arm, and the other had the scorpion marking on his face."

Bingo!

She was right. It's the work of the Scorpion gang involved in human trafficking. It's all over the newspaper, how Crown Prince is trying to eliminate them from the root. If the Scorpion gang reached the Northern Capital City, does it mean the Crown Prince could also be in the North?

2