Episode 24 – Why did you grant her wish?
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Regina and Fredrick found themselves seated in the refined ambiance of a high-end restaurant. The air was filled with a subtle hum of conversation, punctuated by soft instrumental music playing in the background. The lighting was gentle, casting a warm glow on the tastefully decorated interior. Luxurious furnishings adorned the space, with plush seating and elegant table settings that exuded an air of sophistication. The atmosphere breathed refinement and exclusivity, offering a serene setting for their conversation.

Fredrick, breaking the silence, leaned forward slightly and asked Regina, "How have you been?"

Regina's initial flinch reflected a mix of emotions, grateful for their meeting and the rescue, yet hesitant to fully open up. "I am doing well," she replied, her voice carrying a hint of reservation.

Sensing Regina's hesitation, Fredrick pressed further, his tone tinged with vulnerability. "Do you still hate me for what happened five years ago?"

Regina flinched, caught off guard by the question. After a long pause, she struggled to find the right words. "Can I really blame you?"

Embarrassment washed over Fredrick, his eyes wavering as his childhood friend exposed his past inadequacies.

Regina could sense his discomfort, the furrowed brows and nervous demeanor speaking volumes.

To change the subject and diffuse the tension, she brought up an article she had read about him that day. "I came across an article today that claimed you didn't want to marry because you are still in love with me."

Fredrick's surprise was evident as he looked at Regina, a touch of skepticism in his expression. "Which newspaper?" he inquired.

Regina, well aware of Fredrick's protective nature, decided not to reveal the source. "Well, I read a lot of positive things about you too in that newspaper. It seems you have gained a great deal of power," she remarked, subtly acknowledging his achievements.

Pride swelled within Fredrick, the initial embarrassment fading away. He smiled, no longer weighed down by discomfort, and responded, "And you, it seems you have been making significant contributions to the welfare of the people. You have achieved a great deal as well."

At that moment, a sense of mutual appreciation and respect emerged, bridging the gap between their past and present.

As the silence lingered, the fragrant rose tea was served before Regina. The pleasant aroma wafted through the air, enhancing her enjoyment of the tea. Although they were in each other's company, a subtle distance remained, symbolizing the bridge that needed to be crossed between them.

Feeling the weight of the silence, Regina finally broke it with a question that weighed heavily on her mind. "The dead bodies... What will you do about the criminal who was left alive?"

Fredrick didn't hesitate to share his plans, his determination evident. "I have been tirelessly searching for one of those Scorpion gang bastards."

Suddenly, Fredrick realized that he had slipped into his typical speech pattern, forgetting that he was conversing with a lady, not a fellow knight. He inwardly cursed himself for the slip of his tongue. Instant regret washed over him, fearing he had offended Regina with his language.

Regina, however, let out a scoff and playfully retorted, "So, you've changed to the point of forgetting how to converse with a lady." Her light-hearted comment hinted at their shared history and their familiarity with one another.

Fredrick leaned back in his chair, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "In my defense, I haven't had much practice conversing with a lady in five years."

The tension dissipated, replaced by a comfortable and teasing atmosphere between them.

As the conversation continued, both Regina and Fredrick found themselves caught up in the gravity of the situation. Fredrick elaborated on his plan, explaining that the captured criminal would be sent to jail for interrogation, to track down other members of the Scorpion gang.

Regina's hands paused in mid-air, her tea forgotten, as Fredrick revealed the existence of two more groups affiliated with the Scorpion gang involved in human trafficking. The severity of the situation weighed heavily upon her, and she spoke with determination, "Evermount Duchy will provide you with any assistance needed. Please feel free to ask for anything you require."

Fredrick shrugged, a mischievous smirk crossing his face. He playfully challenged Regina, saying, "Yes, sure, but I have one favor to ask of you."

Regina, without hesitation, responded, "Yes, whatever you need."

Fredrick's smirk widened as he remarked, "You mustn't be so hasty, Regina. You didn't even ask what I have in mind."

Regina's expression turned serious as she realized that the favor he was about to request might not pertain to the Scorpion gang matter. She was bewildered, unable to guess his thoughts, and she asked directly, "You can tell me."

Regina understood that she couldn't back down on her commitment to help Fredrick. As the Duchess of the North, it was her duty to support the Crown Prince in his mission. With unwavering determination, she awaited his request, her expression resolute.

When Fredrick saw Regina's unwavering determination, a pang of guilt washed over him. He knew that what he was about to ask would be controversial and met with resistance, yet he was not ready to back off. Taking a deep breath, he said, "Before I ask you that favor, I want to ask you one question."

Regina replied with a nod, her eyes focused on Fredrick. "Go ahead."

"Why did you grant her wish?" Fredrick inquired, his gaze unwavering.

Regina looked at Fredrick, understanding that he was referring to Pem. Regina had granted Pem's wish to become her guard after her training, although the actualization of that wish involved various variables and considerations. She sighed, realizing that instead of contemplating why he posed such a question, it would be simpler to provide him with an answer.

"I believe that if a person is truly willing to challenge the predetermined path laid out for them and strives to achieve what they desire, then they have the potential to change their destiny. Such individuals rarely disappoint you," Regina replied, her words filled with conviction.

Fredrick's eyes widened, overwhelmed by Regina's response. In a sudden motion, he rose from his seat and dropped to one knee before her, bowing deeply. He spoke with utmost reverence, "Your Highness, in the name of the Crown Prince of Midford, I, Fredrick Magnus, beseech the Princess of the Northern Lands to grant me the honor of becoming your first appointed knight."

Regina was rendered speechless, her mind struggling to comprehend the unprecedented request. How could the Crown Prince kneel before a Duchess and beg to become her knight? This was unheard of in the history of Midford. Such a move from Fredrick had the potential to disrupt the delicate balance within the imperial court, for Regina was a married woman.

In Midford's customs, the newly appointed knight was expected to bow to an unmarried lady. Bowing to a married woman would be seen as ill-omened. Moreover, only the husband had the right to bow to his married Lady.

Regina's discomfort grew, thoughts racing through her mind. "If Alex were to see this..." Just then, heavy footsteps approached Regina's table, and a deep, angry voice resounded through the air. A sense of recognition washed over Regina, and she gasped as she turned to see the man standing behind her. It was Alexandro, her husband.

"It seems the Crown Prince of Midford has lost his mind after gaining a little power," Alexandro's voice thundered, his anger and disgust palpable in his expression and tone.

 

 

Things are heating up between Alexandro and Fredrick. What should Regina do to calm Alex? Read next chapter to know what happens next!

1