Chapter 1 Injustice
75 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I signed contract after contract and agreement after agreement, yet the humans continued expanding into my forest. They levelled trees, slaughtered my animals and drove away my protection.

All the designs of this putrid flesh bag.

Across from me sat the latest noble from the Gardwood family, or whatever their name is. Generation after generation of this family had been egotistical narcissists. Yet this latest iteration of filth takes the cake. Thrice as engorged as his father and just as greedy. One glance, and I can tell. He knows I'm dying, and my magicks are fading. I can no longer defend myself.

"Sorry about the passing of your father," I spat curtly. "You're the new Baron, am I correct?"

"Yes, your benevolence, I am Obert Hegdley Gardwood. I am at your beck and call," he replied, a sickening grin across his face. He leaned back in his chair, built of wood stolen from my land. He tapped his foot on wooden floorboards. His desk was wood. His walls were wood. His ceiling was wood.

"I am Aceretethira, but I'm sure you already know that."

"Indeed, but I struggle with pronouncing Elvan names. I hope you don't mind the title, 'your benevolence'," he replied. His fake friendliness was agonizing to hear.

"Not at all."

"As you know, with the passing of a baron, new contracts need to be drawn up. Times change and borders do too, so I am presenting you with my lifetime's contract. I believe these are rather generous considering your condition."

I almost jumped from his chair and choked him to death. My composure was at its breaking point. He signalled to one of his aides, who brought a magical contract. The aide handed it to him. His jeering, leering eyes scanned up and down the contents before he slid the contract across the table to me. Even their paper was disgusting.

It was either the pulped remains of my children or the skin of my pets -- pick your poison. I didn't mind some here and there. I understood it was necessary to use my resources to sustain them. Yet, they overdo it. Everywhere I looked, even in the most insignificant objects, they had torn away a piece of my and built something unnecessary.

I took the paper and began to examine the magical contract. Rage immediately consumed me. I crushed the contract between my fingers and threw it across the room. Obert smirked as if he wanted that reaction.

"Is this a joke?" I growled, my teeth clenching. "The borders are even smaller than what your father gave me!"

"Are you denying me? Do you want to know the consequences?" His grin spread even further across his face.

"Boy, don't talk to me about consequences." I didn't care about appearances or tact or anything right now. "You know nothing of consequences, you arrogant pig. I remember when the Gardwoods compromised and negotiated to work harmoniously with me and the Elvs. Now look at you: your family sit aloft a throne of avarice and gluttony, devouring everything and anything in your way. Weakening me decade after decade in pursuit of lining your own pockets. I watched you grow, boy, hoping you'd become less of a monster than your father. I did the same for him, his father, and his father before him. Yet rot runs too deep, it seems."

He listened and watched me as I continued my emotional outburst. By the time I was finished, he had the smile of a goblin plastered across his pasty, round face.

"How very unladylike of you. Unfortunately, your benevolence, the Elvs are no longer here to protect you, nor are my ancestors," he replied, putting his feet up and presenting his elk leather shoes. "Your only choice is to accept that contract, which I luckily brought a copy of, or to accept death."

"Death?" I pause and keep my eyes on him.

"Yes, death. Just before his passing, my dear father contacted the Prince-Bishop, who permitted him to level this forest. He couldn't break the magical contract he signed with you, so he handed it to me. What I am giving you is time," he spoke as if he was giving me mercy.

The air in the room grew tight as my malice poured from my body and infected the room. Yet, the Gardwood didn't even flinch. If I had to give him something, he was brave.

"So I can what? Watch as you kill my children and build your houses. Then as soon as you die, I watch your child finish me off. I would rather die now."

I didn't care anymore. I had been consecutively poked, prodded and pinched for two centuries by seven different versions of bloated scum.

He chortled and stood up. "Don't say I didn't warn you, your benevolence. Fortune may favour you, as you have a small grace period before I can exterminate you. Let's see how proud you are after a year."

I stood after his words at spat on his desk. "Die in a hole," I hissed.

With those words, I left, teleporting my avatar back into my forest. I stood silently, letting my feet sink into the soft grass. Regret tried to seep into my soul, but I quickly banished it.

Like hell I was going lie down and let myself get walked over like a rug. I am a Dryad, a proud tree spirit and servant of life. If I'm going down, I'm going down swinging.

I feel a drop of liquid trickle down my cheek and fall to the floor. Rain? Another one fell, then another. My vision began to blur as I brought my hand up to inspect my face. There was no rain. I was crying. Despair swallowed me, and I soon found myself on my knees. Tears uncontrollably spilt from my eyes and streamed down my face.

Why was this happening? No, that's not the question I should be asking. How could I let this happen?

I crawled up the nearest tree and placed my hand on its trunk. The branches began to twist and turn to pull me up to my feet. I let out a small laugh and pressed my forehead against the bark.

"Thank you," I muttered as I sent a drop of what meagre mana I had remaining into the tree's body.

The tree rustled in delight as its branches strengthened and its trunk thickened. I rarely came around this side of the forest, so it was probably happy to see me. Perhaps I should frequent here now.

I smiled for a few moments until an awful cavity opened inside me and swallowed the brief happiness. A year. A single year. It is little more than a blink in my lifetime. My life of over two thousand years would end in a year. I sighed and trudged my way home.

I passed by a small stream, hopped over rocks, weaved between trees and waved at what little wildlife was left. After what felt like years of walking, my home came into view. It was a huge twisting tree shouldering a tree house in a small clearing surrounded by an orchard. I put on a bitter smile as I passed through my vegetable orchard, and the plants began to twist to greet me, wrapping roots and branches around my body as I came through.

"Settle down, settle down," I murmured, a bit more happiness returning as I waded through my adoring fans. Then I feel one of them whip me on the back. "Hey! Which one of you did that?"

I spun around and began to scan around the potential suspects. The plants immediately retreated and stood as if nothing had happened. With a bit more of a smile, I began to march between them, scrutinizing every subtle emotion they let seep out. Then I felt one of them stifle a laugh.

"You! It was you!" I spun again and pointed at the accused: it was the small apricot tree I planted a few seasons ago. It's always the young ones. "Try something like that again, and you'll get a good trimming. Mark my words, mister."

The tree bowed, and I felt chuckles emanating from the surroundings. "That goes for all of you. I should hope no one else is that brazen!"

Although I was telling them off, I felt happy. The flora in my garden loved playing pranks on me. I didn't mind since I played my own tricks back.

I climbed the ladder and opened the door. It was as quaint as ever. It only contained the necessities: storage, a bed, pans, a chair, a table, a cabinet and cutlery -- all constructed from my mana and body.

I jumped into my bed and splayed myself across it. It was the only thing I needed that I couldn't make. I could get luxury beds from a local store for free, as per every magical contract.

Well, I used to.

I sunk further and further into frustration and sadness. After several seconds, I rolled over and stared aimlessly at the ceiling, my face soaked in tears again.

"I need to convene with Mother anyway, now's a better time than any, I suppose," I mumbled.

I hope she responds.

I haven't wrote in a while, so here it goes. It was difficult to write, especially since it's my first time writing first person past tense in years. I hope its good, and that you enjoyed it. I don't know how far I'll stay motivated with this, but here it goes.

6